By James Slater
It has been widely reported how Tyson Fury has, for a second time, withdrawn from purse bids to fight an all-British showdown with David Price. Frank Maloney’s web site reports how Team-Fury withdrew from the purse bids that were due to be opened next Wednesday. And Tyson’s trainer, Peter Fury, laid out the plans that are now in store for Fury this year:
“We wish David Price all the best, but we are going in an entirely different direction,” the trainer told BoxNation. “We are going to conquer the United States and it looks like we will fight Steve Cunningham next, then the winner of Chris Arreola-Bermane Stiverne, or Johnathon Banks. The aim right now is to get the number-one ranking and then win the world heavyweight title.”
Price promoter Maloney, for one, is disappointed that Fury-Price is no closer to happening any time soon:
“It is another great fight the British public are going to miss out on and that’s a shame,” Maloney said. It is a fight boxing needs, but [Fury promoter Mick] Hennessey has informed the Board that they are going another route.”
Meanwhile, Price, 15-0(13) is looking forward to doing a job on 41-year-old Tony Thompson a week on Saturday. (although, in something that could prove quite huge, Fury has gone on Twitter claiming how Thompson has pulled out of the Feb. 23rd fight over money and hotel issues and that British unbeaten Richard Towers has been offered the fight by Team-Price! Gossip and nothing more? We will see in time)
As far as Fury goes, former cruiserweight champ Cunningham has expressed serious interest in a fight with Tyson, yet so far nothing has been signed. Arreola and Stiverne are set to get it on on March 9th. Banks is currently out of action with a busted thumb.
Either match-up would prove intriguing for the 20-0(14) Fury.