By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
Stopped at 2:19 of the tenth round, Silvio Branco says he plans on appealing to the WBC, complaining that he got had been hit in the back of the head numerous times in his world championship fight with Montreal’s Jean Pascal Friday night. “He hit me four times, here,” said the mandatory challenger after the fight. “We plan on going to the Federation; it all started going downhill once he started hitting me there.” Branco certainly has a good case for the first knockdown where the Italian fighter twisted away from the action and got caught as he moved away. Referee Gerry Bolen immediately waved it off as a knockdown and then bell rang as the former champion was on his knees trying to regain his equilibrium. In a bizarre occurrence, once he righted himself from the canvas, referee Bolen greeted him to an eight count and the bell rang again. Other occurrences were not as clear.
Branco complained bitterly after going down in the seventh round on what looked to be a perfectly legal left hook to the side of the head. “He’s very experienced,” said Pascal when asked to respond to the accusations, “I think he’s a pretty good actor in there.”
“He won because of this, I came to fight and he was just running around in there,” the 43 year-old Branco told Fightnews, “I wasn’t the same after the first blow or the others that followed, I’m certainly going to carry on.”