By Clint Rosser
Photo: Scott Foster
Adrien Broner (24-0, 20 KOs) silenced at least some of critics Saturday evening with his dominating performance over Vincente Escobedo (26-4, 15 KOs). He stepped to microphone, a bit less brash and flashy than normal, and also speaking words of respect for his opponent. “I want to thank Vincente for taking the fight,” Broner said. “He will fight for a world title someday. It’s just that today is not that day.”
When asked by FightNews about the high emotion and controversy around the events of the day effected him in the ring, Broner replied, “I didn’t let it get too close to me. I never had any doubt that this fight was not going to go on.” When asked about the finish of the fight, the former champ said, “I was trying to take him to deep water. I was touching him, touching him, but we found out that he wanted to stay shallow.”
His trainer, Mike Statford, stated that the weight “really became an issue the last week of camp.”
“You have to understand Adrien. He doesn’t train like other fighters because he spars with fighters that are much, much bigger than him because he goes through so many. He spars with guys that are around 155 or even 160. You just don’t notice that he is not moving down because everyone he is around is so much bigger,” explained Statford.
“Now the task is to move on (to 135 pounds) and that begins today,” said the former WBO junior lightweight champion. “Demarco, Marquez, Rios…no one at 135 is safe!”
Escobedo was sent to a nearby hospital with a broken nose and an undisclosed arm injury and was represented at the press conference by his manager, Rolando Arellano.
“Vincente will be a champion at 130 pounds,” proclaimed Arellano.
When FightNews asked if Escobedo is staying at junior lightweight (130 pounds). Arellano replied, “Today was a test for him at a higher weight division and he was at 144 today and it was clear that Broner at 147 was the stronger fighter. We need to do what is best for Vicente. We have tried 135 in the past and it is obvious to us that 130 is the right division for him.”
The self-proclaimed “Mr. HBO” concluded the press conference by saying that he was “happy for the opportunity to perform on HBO again. They really ought to change the logo to my face!”