Rising heavyweight star Derek Chisora has got a dream shot at the British heavyweight title after Sam Sexton was ruled out of his February 13 clash with Danny Williams with a hand injury. Sexton had been due to challenge British king Williams, but cut his hand during training. Instead unbeaten hot prospect “Del Boy” Chisora, who was due to meet Matt Skelton for the Southern Area title, will get to prove his himself against the experienced Brixton warrior. The pair had been due to meet for the British title last year, but the fight didn’t come off. Now it’s on though and Chisora, who holds already holds a win over Sexton, is promising a KO display.
“It was my own fault that the fight with Williams didn’t go ahead, and I’ve been kicking myself ever since,” said Chisora. “I wasn’t expecting to get this chance, but I’ll take it with both hands. Williams is a dangerous fighter but I’ll face anyone Frank Warren puts in front of me. This is a massive opportunity to really make a statement and become the top man in Britain.”
Williams – who plans to retire win, lose or draw – said he would go out with a bang.
“Chisora has got a reputation as a biter, but then so did Mike Tyson and look what happened to him,” he said. “I don’t care whether I fight Sam Sexton, Derek Chisora or King Kong, I’m going to war one last time and I’ll put it all on the line.”
In other changes to promoter Frank Warren’s big Night of the Champions show at Wembley Arena, Welsh star Nathan Cleverly will now challenge for the European light-heavyweight title against Antonio Brancalion after the Italian’s promotional team couldn’t stage the fight. The Welsh star is the current British and Commonwealth champion and is looking to fight for a world title before the year is out.
Also Kell Brook’s WBO world title eliminator against Poland’s Krzysztof Bienias will now go ahead at the Liverpool Echo Arena on March 12. Brook, the Boxing Writers Young Boxer of the Year and hot tip for 2010, is also chasing a world title this year.
Finally, Olympian Billy Joe Saunders has had to withdraw from the Wembley show because the hand injury sustained in his last fight in December has not healed yet. A new date for Saunders will be announced shortly.