By Miguel Maravilla
Daniel Ponce De Leon (42-4-1, 35 KOs) was ringside in attendance Saturday night at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim, California for Telefutura’s Solo Boxeo Tecate. Fightnews.com caught up with the power-punching former bantamweight champion as he talked about his plans for 2012. Despite not having won a fight in 2011, De Leon gave unbeaten opponents Adrien Broner (22-0, 18 KOs) and Yuriorkis Gamboa (21-0, 16 KOs) all they could handle. “Those two fights last year helped me a lot and now I look forward to 2012,” Deleon said.
In March of 2011, De Leon moved up in weight and fought Broner at jr. lightweight losing a ten round decision, and later lost an eight round technical decision to Yuriorkis Gamboa in September.
“Last year I moved in weight to 130, I accepted that fight with Broner because I knew we could beat him unfortunately that was not the outcome. I know and many others know I won that fight,” Deleon told Fightnews.com. “Against Gamboa the fight was good and we were exchanging well until we clashed heads in round eight and the fight was stopped. Once again I came up short on the cards,” De Leon said.
Ponce De Leon is coming off a sixth round TKO win over Omar Estrella last month in Ensenada, Mexico winning the WBC USNBC featherweight title. “It was a good fight that I was controlling and dominated early on. I felt relaxed and then went for the knockout in the sixth round.”
“I plan to return in April and I’m looking for Juan Carlos Burgos. He’s the WBC silver featherweight champion. Or I’m looking for the WBC featherweight champion Johnny Gonzalez,” De Leon said about what’s in store for the coming year.