Boxing News

Fort KOs Kolle

By Ray Kilgore
Photos: Jesse Kelley

“Sir” Cerresso Fort (15-0-1, 11 KOs) scored the biggest win of his career on Friday night at the Grand Casino in Hinckley, Mn with a TKO victory in round five over Andy “Kaos” Kolle (25-4, 18 KOs) in a middleweight bout. Outside of Cerresso Fort’s avid supporters, few fans who were in attendance at the Grand Casino, in Hinckley Minnesota would have predicted that Fort, 26, would stop Andy Kolle, 29, inside of five rounds.

Fort turned in one of his best performances since turning professional in 2008. Leading up to the fight, both men faced questions. Kolle, whose ring alias is “Kaos,” hadn’t fought since April of last year after he suffered a broken hand against Michael Walker in taking a unanimous decision. Meanwhile, in November of last year, Fort was seriously rocked (the first time in his professional career) from a punch by Brandon Baue ( 12-9, 10 KOs), although Fort took an easy unanimous decision in the end.

Early into round one, Fort, of Saint Paul, was the one who not only tried to outbox Kolle, but Fort also took the first leap by forcing the action going to Kolle’s body on the ropes. After a slow start, the 5-foot-11 Fort backed the 6-foot-1 Kolle to the ropes and worked Kolle’s body while attempting to land on Kolle’s head throughout the process. To Kolle’s credit he kept his defense tight which helped him see many of the blows as he waited for the opportunity to fire back. Kolle eventally worked his way off the ropes and started to use his jab, however, Fort, who found success all night long with the same looping right hand, connected on Kolle’s chin every so often. While Kolle looked somewhat drained at times, he never stopped trying to land his shots.

In round two, it was now Kolle who tried to push the action; he worked behind his jab and circled with hopes of scoring points while trying to set a trap for Fort. Going into round three Kolle absorbed Fort’s blows better. But still, Kolle’s facial expression showed no signs of intensity—something of a somewhat surprise given the significance of the match. Fort continued to force himself on Kolle which left Kolle with no other option but to clinch. After one clinch, each boxer took turns trading jabs, but soon thereafter, Fort bullied Kolle on the inside once again.

Kolle seemed to sense this and brought the action center ring. At one point, Kolle attempted to land a strong right. Fort blocked the blow, and countered with his own which Kolle, didn’t see, sent Kolle down hard on his back. Referee Mark Nelson (who is set to work the Felix Sturm versus Sam Soliman showdown in Germany this Friday), gave Kolle amandatory standing-eight. Kolle rose to his feet but looked in bad shape. When the action resumed, Fort jumped on a stunned Kolle, who to his credit fired back hoping that Fort would walk into something big. At the end of the round, a confident Fort winked and smiled as he walked back to his corner.

At the start of round five, Fort’s energy, confidence and motivation was evident. He showed bounce in his legs while Kolle still looked somewhat dazed from the knockdown in the last round. Shortly into the round, Kolle continued to get hit with looping right hands as he pulled back with his hands down. One of them connected and sent Kolle down again. As Fort made his way to the natural corner, he did his version of the “Adrien Broner” dance. Nelson gave Kolle another standing-eight, but this time Nelson looked closely into Kolle’s eyes. The fighter mouthed that he was OK and soon thereafter, Fort attacked landing a barrage of punches on Kolle near the far ropes. Nelson jumped in and waved off the fight.

“Honestly I didn’t expect to get him out of there like that,” said Fort after the fight. “But when you’re working so hard grinding in the gym it pays off at 2:20 of the fifth round.”

Aaron Green improved his record to (9-0, 7 KOs) by taking an easy decision over Maurenzo Smith 11-4-1, 8 KOs). Probably the most interesting thing about this fight was that former Minnesota Viking and Atlanta Falcons defensive-end, Ray Edwards was seated at the press table giving advice to Smith on how to be more effective against Green. But Smith wasn’t able to capitalize on Edwards’ instructions as Green was too big and strong for Smith. Green landed repeated right hands and body blows on Smith. To Smith’s credit he never gave up. He attempted to leap in with shots although he found no success.

Green took the decision by judges’ scores cards which read: 78-74, 78-74, and 78-74.

RJ Laase ( 10-1, 6 KOs) took a thrilling majority decision over Justin Jones (5-1, 3 KOs) While Laase looked the physically bigger of the two, Jones, of Florida, never gave up. Laase landed repeated right hands that Jones at times took well. Duluth, Minnesota’s Laase continued to have his way at times, but so too did Jones. Laase, who lost over 30 pounds coming into the bout, took Jones’ best but Laase looked tired in the process. Jones had his moments as he landed strong right hands as he was the aggressor specifically in the middle rounds as Lasse looked tired here and there but fought on. In the final round Jones got buzzed several times which further sealed the decision for Lasse on the judges’ score cards with read: 78-74, 78-74 and 76-76.

Ray Edwards (2-0, 2 KOs) stopped Corey Briggs 41 seconds into round one. It’s difficult to blame former NFL football player Ray Edwards for the fact that Briggs (who came in over 300 pounds) all but quite. Briggs took several shots to the head and most to the body in the far corner before going down to one knee as was counted out.

Travis Fulton (19-31-1, 19 KOs) fought to a majority Draw against Van Goodman (2-2-3, 2 KOs) For bigger men both Fulton and Goodman moved well and threw lots of blows. Goodman, the sentimental favorite, started the fight by landing jabs and right hands. As the fight went on, Fultron returned the same. In the end the judges’ score cards read: 38-38, 38-38, and 39-37 in favor of Fulton resulting in a majority draw.

Winston Anderson (2-0, 2 KOs) got the job done by stopping Ryan Gronvold ( 1-6, 2 KOs) in round one. Anderson jumped on Gronvold within a matter of seconds. Anderson backed Gronvold to the ropes, and landed a good right that sent Gronvold down. Gronvold made the count, but was unsteady on his feet and the fight was called off.

    Help Support®

    For 18 years,® has delivered daily boxing news to fight fans around the globe. From the beginning, we have always kept Fightnews free to our readers and relied on advertiser support. Anyway, the Miami Herald, The Guardian, and Wikipedia among others have been using the “crowdfunding” revenue model, so we thought we’d test it too.

    Please consider helping out. You’re not obligated to, but even a $1 pledge would really help. And if we reach our goal, we plan to upgrade our server and maybe even nuke the ads altogether. Wouldn’t that be nice?

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.