Boxing News

Full report: Bowman-Acevedo

By Kurt Wolfheimer

Saturday night in the Sovereign Bank Stadium in York, PA, hometown lightweight prospect Carney “Beeper’ Bowman (15-0, 7 KOs) made his triumphant return with a foul plagued but impressive third round stoppage of late replacement Robert Acevedo (9-11-3, 1 KO) in the six round main event of the evening. Cruiserweight contender Andres “Taylor Made” Taylor also continued his winning ways when his opponent Adam Harris quit in his corner due to a shoulder injury. The seven bout card promoted by TKO Promotions also had some of the top local and regional fighters in action as well as two competitive amateur bouts.

It was a beautiful day for outdoor boxing with the temperature in the low eighties and over three thousand people came to root on the returns of Carney Bowman and Andres Taylor in separate bouts at the home stadium of the Independent York Revolution baseball team.

York PA’s own lightweight prospect Carney Bowman, looked to shake off some ring rust, having been out of the ring after eleven months of inactivity. His opponent Roberto Acevedo accepted the fight earlier in the week when several opponents fell out but looked in great shape, so it set up to be a pretty good bout, thanks to the hard work of up and coming matchmaker, Renee Aiken.

Bowman immediately came out trying to load up on the southpaw, but both fighters continually ducked under the following hooks leading to clinches. From that point on in began to get choppy on the inside as both fighters wrestled in the clinches. Referee Gary Rosado continually warned Acevedo for excessive holding. Bowman was not completely clean either, hitting in the clinches which frustrated Acevedo who complained to Rosato, but to no avail.

The roughhousing tactics continued and Rosato finally took a point from Acevedo for holding and hitting on the break. Carney landed his right hands more frequently as Acevedo stepped back, fighting on the retreat. Both Fighters hit each other after the bell in anger and were quickly separated by Rosado.

Even though there were several clinches in the early going of the second round Bowman began to gain control with his shorter right hands. At one point both fighters wrestled in the clinch and Acevedo began to hit on breaks. Acevedo’ anger appeared at a breaking point and he even pushed referee Gary Rosato at one point between rounds, prompting a stiff warning from PA State commissioner, Greg Sirb.

It wouldn’t matter though as Bowman remained calm and stunned Acevedo with a quick right early in the third round. Acevedo moved out of the corner, but Bowman caught him on the ropes with a right to the body. Acevedo tried to cover, but a second right on the side of the head sent him to the canvas. Acevedo looked to be in extreme pain as referee Gary Rosato reached the ten count. The time of the knockout occurred at forty-seven seconds of the third round.

Moments after the Carney Bowman was announced the winner; he went over and tapped gloves to say good fight. Roberto Acevedo looked shocked and put his hands back up and both fighters again had to be separated. It would get a little ugly as a couple of fans threw sodas at the ring and even one idiot tossed a chair into the ring. Fortunately it missed everyone. Carney Bowman pleaded with the crowd to calm down and they did.

Special kudos go out to TKO Promotions who did their best and calmed the situation, providing extra security for Acevedo as he left the ring to the visiting dugout and to the locker room.

Bowman spoke on his victory afterward. “It felt great to get back in there. Sometimes the fights don’t go like the fans like, but I got the victory and will move on. He (Acevedo) thought he was stronger than me and tried to rough me up and get dirty, but I can fight rough too and it didn’t frustrate me. I knew I would eventually get to him and I did,” said Bowman. I will get right back in the gym and hope to fight again soon.

Harris “Taylor Made”

Undefeated cruiserweight Andres “Taylor Made” Taylor (16-1-1, 7 KOs) continued his upward climb in different way as his opponent Adam “The Hit Man” Harris (10-4, 7 KOs) was forced to retire after two rounds with an injured shoulder.

A raucous fan base that made the two and a half hour trip from Johnstown PA to see their own Andres “Taylor Made” Taylor take one more step in his quest toward a cruiserweight title. Taylor seemed in the best shape of his career and looked sharp in the early going with pinpoint two punch combinations. His opponent, the thirty-five year old Harris of Worcester Massachusetts tried to duck and counter his way off the ropes throughout the opening round, but Taylor continued to walk him down.

Andre Taylor seemed more in control in the second round pushing Harris constantly to the ropes and unloading with hard hooks. A short hook to the side of Harris sent him to the canvas. Harris complained vehemently that is was behind the back, but it was ruled a knockdown. Harris was able to beat the eight count and tried to keep Taylor on the edge of his combinations. Had this been a year ago, many of the combinations would have caught Taylor flush, but he has improved so much under the watchful eye of trainer Tommy Yankello that many were slipped or bounced off his gloves.

Right at the end of the round in a clinch, Adam Harris winced in pain just moments before the bell sounded. It was revealed in his corner that he had injured his shoulder and could not continue, giving “Taylor Made” the victory at three minutes of round two.

“I thought I hurt it in the opening round, said Adam Harris afterward. “In the clinch it really went and I knew I couldn’t go any further. I felt like I may have torn something.”

The injury may have saved Harris from the inevitable as Taylor seemed to be moving in for the finish.

“It is a shame that people didn’t get to see the best of me tonight,” said Taylor afterwards. “My team has been working on my flaws. I started out slow and got better in round two. I was ready to ready get it going in the third, but because of the injury, I didn’t get to get into my sweet spot. I am going to go right back to the gym and hope to be 19-1-1 by the end of the year.

“Tommy Yankello has been a wizard,” said Taylor. He has taken my game to the next level. I didn’t have a trainer as an amateur, so I came into the game with just pure heart and athleticism, but Tommy has now changed me into a real fighter. I wish I at least could’ve gotten at least three rounds out of the guy, but it is what it is. It is the sport of boxing. It isn’t for the faint of heart.”

Crawford moves forward

Undefeated junior welterweight Terrance Crawford (12-0, 9 KOs) of Omaha Nebraska continued his winning ways when Washington DC’s Ron “Teflon” Boyd (6-11-1, 2 KOs) injured his right hand during an exchange and couldn’t continue in the first round of their scheduled six round bout.

Crawford seemed to be getting the better of the exchanges when the injury occurred. Having faced many journeyman, it may be the right time to step the Nebraska native up to the next level of competition if he is to be a contender in the near future.

Nemo blows away Shakoor

Exciting York PA junior lightweight Eric Nemo (9-1-1, 4 KOs) didn’t look rusty after a year away from the ring, easily disposing of Jackson, Mississippi’s Rasool Shakoor (3-8-1, 1KO)in just one minute and fifty-seven seconds of the opening round of their schedule four round scrap.

Shakoor tried to keep Nemo on the outside in the early going with short combinations and clinching. Nemo showed his patience and worked Shakoor to the ropes in mid-round. he saw his opening and placed a hook to the body and a well placed right up top which sent Shakoor to the canvas. Shakoor rose to his feet, but couldn’t continue and the bout was called off at one fifty-seven of the opening round.

Carrasquillo conquers Chalmers

In a battle of hard-nosed journeyman, Lancaster, PA’s Doel Carrasquillo (13-15-1, 11 KOs) overpowered Lynchburg Virginia’s Maurice Chalmers (8-11-1, 5 KOs), dropping him twice en-route to the third round technical knockout.

Chalmers appeared to be the better boxer in the opening moments, keeping Carrasquillo on the outside with jabs and movement. Carrasquillo would not let the punches bother as he moved forward punching self in the face, showing his macho side. Chalmers backed into a corner and had to trade away with the Lancaster native in the final fifteen-seconds of the round. The bell sound to end the round, but Doel Carrasquillo finished a combination, which wobbled Chalmers after the bell. Referee Gary Rosato warned Doel between rounds and he apologized. The crowd turned on Carrasquillo for the dirty tactic andopenly rooted against the local fighter from that point on.

Chalmers cleared his head in the corner, but Carrasquillo would not let him go and continued to pound away. The heavy hands did their damage and Chalmers went to the canvas from a hard two punch combination. Chalmers rose to his feet, but was caught in the corner and was forced to trade away with the heavier handed Carrasquillo as the second round came to a close.

Round three was all Carrasquillo, who came right out of the corner and battered Chalmers with heavy hooks. He tried to fight back, but he was caught in the corner and dropped with a one-two combination for the final time. Referee Gary Rosato ruled he could not continue and waved the bout off at the forty-nine second mark of the third round.

Weimer out slugs King

Undefeated York PA welterweight prospect “Stone Cold” Stevie Weimer (5-0, 2 KOs) had to pull out all the stops in his four round slug fest in order to squeak out a tight four round majority decision victory over Cambridge Massachusett’s, Dontre King (2-8-2, 1 KO).

Weimer looked fast in the early going, backing up King with three successive right hands up top in the opening round. King covered as Weimer dug several hooks to the body, forcing a clinch.

King got frustrated in the clinches which occurred as both traded away, so he threw Weimer to the canvas. Referee Vic De Wysocki warned him for the unruly tactic. Weimer wouldn’t let him go and unloaded a variety of combinations. King clinched and then began his own onslaught at the end of round two but the round was Weimer’s.

Round three looked like King’s as he seemed to land several leaping right and left hooks. Weimer had trouble with the hand speed in the third and his punch output dropped.

The fourth was give and take early, but Weimer a counter left hook appeared to rock King. The crowd rose to their feet as Weimer tried to finish King with a variety of heavy combinations in the center of the ring. King again shot a good counter to keep Weimer from getting sloppy. The Forestville native regained his composure and tried to connect with a hook to return the favor, but could not, so the bout went to the scorecards.

One judge saw it even at 38-38, but was overruled by the other two who had it 39-37 in favor of Stevie Weimer for the majority decision victory.

“I hurt my right hand in the first round,” said Weimer afterward. “It almost brought me to tear but I was able to gut it out and get the victory so I am satisfied.”

Fox impressive in debut

Highly touted Amateur star Alantez Fox of Forestville, Maryland made an impressive debut with a one sided, four round unanimous decision victory over winless Kevin Kibler (0-3-1) of Columbia, South Carolina.

Fox used his long reach to keep Kibler on the edge of his jabs and right hands throughout the bout. There were several times where it looked like he might finish Kibler, but South Carolinian would throw a big counter out of his peek-a-boo style to keep him honest. Kibler seemed willing to take twenty blows to land his one or two wide hooks.

In round two, Fox hurt Kibler and banged away with uppercuts and hooks. Kibler stopped the onslaught with a counter right of his own.

Fox showed a good chin, as he not only stood up to the few heavy hooks, but even moved to the side and continued with his heavy offensive output throughout the bout. The fight should have been stopped after the third, when it was obvious that Kibler, though game, was getting battered throughout and had little or no chance to win.

Kibler came out for the fourth and survived the continual two and three combinations from Fox, even landing a shot or two of his own. Fox was never hurt though and boxed his way to the final bell.

All three judges saw it easily in favor of Alantez Fox by scores of 40-36 x 2 and 40-35 respectively.

All in all it was a success for TKO Promotions with over three thousand in attendance. Matchmaker Renee Aiken did a good job putting together an exciting seven bout card.

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.