Full Report

Full Report: Jones-Brunson

Photo: Marcus Lopez
Photo: Marcus Lopez

By Francisco Salazar at ringside

While questions remained if Tyrone Brunson could succeed when stepping up in competition, Carson Jones is starting to make believers in him becoming a player in his weight division. Jones not only fought Brunson with words, but backed it up with his fists as he stopped Brunson in the third round of a scheduled 10 round bout before over 1,400 at the Chumash Casino Resort in Santa Ynez, CA.

Photos: Marcus Lopez

Click the photo to go to the next photo

The bout headlined a nine-bout “ShoBox: The New Generation” card, presented by Gary Shaw Productions.

Brunson created headlines by being the first fighter to win his first 19 bouts, all by first round knockout. While he broke a streak of 18 established by hard-hitting world champion Edwin Valero, it was a streak that was against mostly mediocre competition.

Jones was unbeaten in his last six bouts in a row. He last tasted defeat in February, when he lost a 10 round unanimous decision to Jesus Soto-Karass.

Brunson decided to box and circle the ring in the first round, almost the opposite as to what he has done in previous fights. Jones was hoping to counter Brunson, throwing left hooks to the head.

After another even round in the second, Jones began to take initiative in the third round. As Brunson was threw a right hand, Jones countered Brunson with a right-left combination to the heads, dropping him to the canvas.

“We actually heard (Showtime analyst) Steve Farhood next to us say that it would be a good idea to go over his right hand and land that hook,” said James Gogue, who was working in Jones’ corner.

Although Brunson stood up, he was able to fight back. However, he left himself open and Jones countered him to the head, backing him against the ropes. Jones poured it, while Brunson began to cover up. Jones landed to the head and arms of Brunson for about 30 seconds unanswered. As Brunson did not return punches, referee Dr. James Jen-Kin stopped the bout at 2:39.

The victory for Jones was bittersweet and he hopes that it will open more doors for hm.

“My goal was to take him into the later rounds,” said Jones, who is managed by Bobby Dobbs, who manages a handful of Midwest fighters. “I wanted to see what he brought to the table. In the third round, I knew that he was getting tired and careless. I actually thought that the referee was going to stop it earlier when I had him hurt against the ropes.”

Asked about future plans, Jones stated, “I’m going to take some time off. I’ve already fought nine times this year. I hope that I get a big fight early next year. I’m glad I have the right people behind me as to when I had bad management when I was thrown into fights unprepared. I’m actually a good boxer. People underestimate me because of my record.”

Jones, from Oklahoma City, OK, improves to 24-7-1, 15 KO’s. Brunson, from Philadelphia, PA, drops to 21-1-1, 20 KO’s.

Anchondo wins split decision over Jones.

In the co-feature, Welterweight Mike Anchondo won a disputed eight round split-decision over previously-unbeaten Mauricio Herrera.

After a two-year hiatus from the ring, the former 130-pound world champion Anchondo returned to the ring in April of this year. He has won two bouts in a row and was hoping for another run at a different weight class.

Herrera was coming off an eight round majority decision victory over Cleotis Pendarvis almost two months ago.

Anchondo threw a high number of punches after slipping what Herrera threw in the first couple of rounds. Herrera attempted to counter as Anchondo was coming in. Despite Anchondo giving up at least four inches in height, he would jab his way in and threw to the head and body of Herrera.

Herrera controlled the middle rounds as he began to connect more to the head of Anchondo. Herrera began to increase his punch output and would throw and land right hands to the head as Anchondo stood in front of him. Herrera was at his best when he moved towards Anchondo to connect.

Herrera was controlling the sixth round, but was momentarily stunned with a left hook to the head. Blood began to come out of Herrera’s nose as the round ended.

Sensing he was behind, Anchondo came on in the seventh round. However, Herrera came out aggressive in the eighth and final round. He was able to land hard right hands to the head of Anchondo. Both fighters traded until the final bell sounded.

One judge scored the bout 79-73 in favor of Herrera, while the remaining judges scored the bout 77-75 in favor of Anchondo. Fightnews.com scored the bout 77-75 in favor of Herrera.

“I take nothing away from him because he came to fight,” said Anchondo, who began fighting professionally at the age of 18. “I believe I won the fight. I felt that I did enough in the first half of the fight and to win a few rounds in the end. To get a split-decision, it is what it is.”

To say that Herrera was surprised by the decision was an understatement.

“I’m just shocked,” said Herrera, who is promoted by Thompson Boxing Promotions. “Maybe he won the first two or three rounds, but I thought I won the fight big. He just has a short, bulky style. He covered up and threw wild punches. Why should I ask for a rematch? I clearly won the fight.”

Thompson Boxing Promotions General Manager and matchmaker Alex Camponovo told Fightnews.com that he will file an official protest with the California State Athletic Commission to overturn the decision.

Anchondo, from Hacienda Heights, CA, goes to 30-2, 19 KO’s. Herrera, from Riverside, CA, falls to 13-1, 6 KO’s.

Lightweight Marvin Quintero stopped Tyler Ziolowski in the second round of a scheduled eight round bout.

Quintero was too strong for Ziolowski. Although Ziolowski had some offensive skills, Quintero had him backing up.

In the second round, Quintero had Ziolowski pinned against a corner. He began to land thudding shots to the body and head. Ziolowski looked as though he was going down as he was covered up, making no effort to throw punches. Ziolowski said something to referee Dr. James Jen-Kin as Quintero backed away, prompting Jen-Kin to stop the bout at 1:15.

Quintero, from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, improves to 18-2, 14 KO’s. Ziolowski, from St. Joseph, MO, drops to 12-10, 6 KO’s.

Bantamweight Chris Avalos was too much for Jose Pacheco, earning a stoppage victory in the second round of a scheduled six round bout.

Pacheco did not belong in the same ring with Avalos. The hard-hitting Avalos was too big, strong, and talented for Pacheco. Avalos had Pacheco hurt numerous times in the first round. However, Pacheco’s toughness kept him in the fight, even fighting back.

Pacheco was able to land a few punches, particularly in the beginning of the second round. However, Avalos unleashed a flurry of punches, one that backed Pacheco against the ropes. As Avalos was going to rain down more punishment, referee Raul Caiz, Sr. stopped the mismatch at 1:34.

Avalos, from Lancaster, CA, goes to 14-0, 11 KO’s. Pacheco, from Cudahy, CA by way of Guanajuato, Mexico, falls to 2-10-6.

Marquez wins close bout over Ledesma.

Lightweight Archie Ray Marquez had his hands full with veteran Andres Ledesma, winning a six round majority decision.

Marquez was able to get the better of the fighters, landing the more effective punches. Marquez wanted to dictate the action as Ledesma stayed on the outside. In the third round, Ledesma began to box more from the outside, countering well with a left hook to the head of Marquez. In the fourth round, Marquez was able to land numerous combinations on the inside.

Marquez landed hard shots across the head of Ledesma. He had Ledesma hurt towards the end of the fifth round, but Ledesma was able to make it until the end. However, Ledesma came on strong, landing abundant right hands to the head and body. Marquez looked tired, attempting to box or stay away from the aggressive Ledesma. To Marquez’ credit, he was able to withstand Ledesma’s assault until the final bell.

One judge scored the bout 57-57, while the other two judges scored the bout 59-55 and 58-56 in favor of Marquez. Fightnews.com scored the bout 58-56 in favor of Marquez.

Marquez, from Albuquerque, NM, improves to 9-0, 7 KO’s. Ledesma, from Miami, FL by way of Arjona, Colombia, drops to 15-16-1, 10 KO’s.

Heavyweight Emad Ali won a six round unanimous decision over Andre Carthon.

Ali was the more-polished of the two fighters. Ali was more accurate with his punches as Carthon was hoping to land one big punch. Carthon was able to catch Ali on occasion, but Ali was able to win out on being busier and more effective with his punches.

All three judges scored the bout in favor of Ali, with scores of 58-56, 58-56, and 59-55. Fightnews.com scored the bout 59-55.

Ali, from New York City, NY, improves to 4-0, 3 KO’s. Carthon, from Los Angeles, CA, drops to 3-4-2, 1 KO.

Featherweight Rufino Serrano won a four round unanimous decision over Gilbert Amaro.

This was a rematch from fight earlier this year, when Serrano dropped Amaro twice to win a unanimous decision. This time Serrano controlled the first three rounds, outlanding and being quicker to the punch over the shorter Amaro. Serrano slowed down in the fourth round, allowing Amaro to control the action. To the chagrin of Amaro, it was too little, too late.

All three judges scored the bout in favor of Serrano, with scores of 39-37, 39-37, and 40-36. Fightnews.com scored the bout 39-37 in favor of Serrano.

Serrano, from nearby Santa Maria, improves to 3-2. Amaro, from Palmdale, CA, drops to 0-3.

Featherweight Emanuel Gonzalez dropped Jordan Sutton twice, the final one for good as he won by a first round stoppage victory in a scheduled four round bout.

Sutton, who was making his professional debut, was dropped by a right hand to the chin. After getting up, Sutton fought back, actually catching Gonzalez with a right hand to the head. However, Sutton left himself open. Gonzalez countered Sutton with another right hand to the head, sending him to the canvas, prompting an immediate stoppage by referee Dr. James Jen-Kin at 1:44.

Gonzalez, from the Bronx, NY, improves to 3-0, 3 KO’s. Sutton hails from Salem, OR.

Super Welterweight Ruben Rivera stopped Chris Smith in the second round of a scheduled four round bout.

Rivera dropped Smith once in the first round. Rivera dropped Smith with another right hand at the beginning of the second round. Smith got up, but was dropped again with a left hook to the head by Rivera. Referee Dr. James Jen-Kin stopped the bout at 39 seconds of the second.

Rivera, from Maywood, CA, goes to 3-0-1, 2 KO’s. Smith falls to 0-2.


– Welterweight contender Alfredo Angulo, Super Middleweight contender Kingsley Ikeke, and former contender Alex Ramos watched the action from ringside.

– Curt Menefee, Steve Farhood, and Antonio Tarver called the action from ringside for Showtime.

– Boxing tentatively returns to the Chumash Casino Resort in Santa Ynez, CA in February. Stay tuned for details.

– Ring announcer was Michael Vale.

    Help Support Fightnews.com®

    For 18 years, Fightnews.com® has delivered daily boxing news to fight fans around the globe. From the beginning, we have always kept Fightnews free to our readers and relied on advertiser support. Anyway, the Miami Herald, The Guardian, and Wikipedia among others have been using the “crowdfunding” revenue model, so we thought we’d test it too.

    Please consider helping out. You’re not obligated to, but even a $1 pledge would really help. And if we reach our goal, we plan to upgrade our server and maybe even nuke the ads altogether. Wouldn’t that be nice?

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.