Boxing Result

Holmes decisions Dowdy!

By Jacob Chavez at ringside

Octavius James’ One In a Million Boxing, Inc. kicked off the New Year with a night of solid boxing action on Friday night at the Radisson Star Plaza in Merrillville, Indiana. In the main event, super middleweight Jimmy “The Fightin School Teacher” Holmes (18-1-2, 9 KOs) outpointed journeyman Tyrone Dowdy (4-18, 3 KOs) in a six round rematch. Their first encounter during February of last year was marred by excessive holding by Dowdy to the point of disqualification. This time around proved to be very similar, as Dowdy’s main arsenal consisted of hitting while holding onto Holmes’ body; but for this match they would go the distance.

Dowdy started off by charging at Holmes recklessly. He loaded up on his punches and tried to score one big shot to end the night. Unfortunately for Holmes, Dowdy finished off his attacks with a clinch or hold. Whenever Holmes broke away, he managed to effectively tag Dowdy with a stiff jab or a right uppercut to the head. The warnings from Referee Kurt Spivey for the excessive holding came early, as he scolded Dowdy in the opening stanza and then again in round two for pushing. Round two started off in similar fashion. Neither fighter was able to land anything of significant damage, and things got so wild that they got their legs crossed as they wrestled that both tumbled to the canvas. The referee did an admirable job in keeping the fight as clean as possible, and he tried to deter Dowdy from holding and pushing by taking points away in rounds three and four. Dowdy looked to turn the tide midway into the fourth by connecting with a right cross to the head that rocked Holmes. They then came together and traded violently, but as soon as Holmes was winning the exchange, Dowdy was quick to tie him up. He then began to fade in the fifth and sixth. This allowed for Holmes to connect more often with the right uppercut but ran out of rounds to finish Dowdy off. In the end, all three judges scored it the same 60-52 for Holmes.

In the co-main event, local favorite “Merciless” Mary McGee (16-0-0, 10 KOs) took on Jessica Mohs (7-20-2, 2 KOs). McGee started off with a tactical approach, picking her punches and looking to counter. Mohs too appeared very patient and self-contained. She got peppered with solid jabs midway into the round but appeared to have taken them well. With about half a minute left, McGee connected with a series of combinations to the head. She covered up well when Mohs tried to counter and again bombarded her opponent seconds before the bell. This proved to be enough for Mohs, as she failed to answer the bell for the second round. The official end came at :01 of round two.

Welterweight Ed Ochoa (6-0-0, 6 KOs) kept his perfect record in tact by taking out Jess Salway (3-10-1, 0 KOs) in the second round. Both fighters came out looking to establish a jab, as each was tall and had good arms length. With about a minute in, they shorted the distance to the inside where Ochoa rallied by throwing the shorter and more accurate punches. He targeted and did damage to the body and managed to knockdown Salway by finishing a combination off with a right cross to the head. He got up but seconds later fell victim to another right upstairs and crashed to the canvas again. In round two Ochoa looked to finish Salway off by knocking him down again with yet another right seconds into the stanza. But again, Salway got up and Ochoa continued his assault. Midway into the round, Salway visited the canvas for the last time. He managed to get up but referee Roger Miller stopped the action after it was apparent that Salway was nothing left. The time of the stoppage 1:33.

Light heavyweight Jimmy Perez Jr. (4-1-0, 1 KO) took on Nick Whiting (0-10-1) in an exciting four round match-up. The much taller Whiting started off looking to keep his opponent at bay with a jab and using the ring, but Perez effectively closed the gap, finding his mark with a series of combinations to the body. Whiting stuck to his game plan and managed to connect with a right uppercut that snapped Perez’ head back. Perez began peppering Whiting more in the second with combinations on the inside, as Whiting became more stationary and offered more opportunities. Perez finished the round strong, staggering Whiting with a left hook to the head. Whiting began to fade in the third and allowed for Perez to unload almost at will. To his credit, Whiting began targeting the body midway into the round, as Perez appeared soft around the middle but took the punches well. Whiting came out reenergized in the fourth and took the action to Perez, popping the jab and still looking to punish the body.  Having been warned once before, Perez was deducted a point for holding by Referee Bill Paige. This Prompted for Perez to unleash with punishing shots to the head. There was incredible toe-to-toe action midway into the round, but Perez showed more desire and managed to recoup the lost point. In the end, the judges all scored it the same, 39-36 for Perez.

Middleweights Orphius Waite (4-0-0, 3 KOs) destroyed Chance Western (1-1-0, 0 KOs) in less than one round. Waite came out very quickly at Western and targeted the body. Western looked to retaliate but smothered himself and they ended up trading on the inside. Waite then used his hand speed and waist movement to set up a hard right cross that dropped Western. He got up but was badly hurt and did not appear coherent. Referee Kurt Spivey analyzed him and then waived the fight off. The time was 1:01.

Middleweight Josh Crouch (3-0-0, 3 KOs) dominated Jason Wilson (0-2-0). Wilson came out charging at crouch but was greeted with a stiff jab that sent him staggering backwards. Wilson toned his aggression down midway into the round but this only allowed for Crouch to get off and administer a severe beating against the ropes. Wilson then collapsed to the canvas and stayed down until the referee reached a count of ten. The official end came at 1:47 of round one.

Junior welterweight Angel Hernandez (11-2-0, 8 KOs) took on Alan Moore (1-5-0, 1 KO) in a four round match-up. They started off wildly with Moore charging at Hernandez. The two stumbled down to the canvas on a couple of occasions due to the wild exchanges and entanglement of the feet. Eager to mix things up with Moore, Hernandez got rocked with a hard right as they traded. Moore then got tagged against the ropes by a crisp combo and went down in a flash knockdown. After getting up, they again traded violently in the middle of the ring and Moore ate a pummeling right hand upstairs. He went down hard and got up on shaky legs. When asked by referee Bill Paige if he could continue, Moore failed to respond and the fight was stopped. The official time of the stoppage was 2:21 of round one.

The opening bout featured local favorite Marcus Thompkins (3-0-0, 0 KOs) against fellow super lightweight Danny Schlienz (7-15-1, 4 KOs) in a four rounder. The fast-handed Thompkins put good combinations together in the opening round, managing to keep Schlienz at bay and very hesitant. The second round proved no better for Schlienz as he ate an abundance of jabs and left hooks. To his credit, he took the punches well and continued to pressure. The third and fourth saw the same kind of action, with Schlienz not backing down and showing true grit, but his battered face showed how dominant Thompkins was throughout. In the end, all judges saw it for Thompkins, 40-36.

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.