By Wolfgang Schiffbauer
WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck will face former WBA kingpin Firat Arslan in a rematch of their controversial first encounter last November on September 14 at the Hans-Martin-Schleyer Halle in Stuttgart, Germany. Huck vs. Arslan 2 was announced earlier today by Sauerland Event. “This fight was on every boxing fan’s wishlist. Their first fight was dramatic and exciting”, said Sauerland CEO Frederick Ness. “I’m glad that they’ll do it again on September 14.”
Huck (36-2-1, 25 KOs) won a unanimous decision (by scores of a ridiculous 117-111 and 115-113 twice) over Arslan (33-6-2, 21 KOs) nine months ago. However, the decision was greeted with incomprehension as most fans and experts agreed that Firat Arslan should have gotten the nod in a close-but-clear affair. This writer scored the bout 116-112 in favor of the challenger. “I saw myself as the winner back in November”, said Arslan, 42, in a Press Release announcing the rematch. “I would have been world champion again. I will give everything I got to take that belt away from him in the rematch. And I’m sure I’ll have the support of the fans in Stuttgart.”
Arslan is the WBO mandatory challenger for Huck. “I wanted to give him this rematch, though”, Huck said. “It doesn’t matter that he is my mandatory, I would have fought him again regardless. I understand that Firat was bitterly disappointed after our first fight. I saw myself as the victor last year in my heavyweight title challenge against Alexander Povetkin but the judges disagreed. This is why I wanted to offer him a second chance.”
For the sake of the sport, one can only hope that a fair and just winner will be crowned after the conclusion of the September 14 rematch between Huck and Arslan. Tickets for Huck vs. Arslan 2 will be available this weekend by calling +49-1805-570044 or online at www.eventim.de and www.easyticket.de.