Boxing Result

Ikeke retains NABA title

By Shamus Young at ringside

Kingsley “Sharp Knuckle” Ikeke retained his NABA Super Middleweight title via a 10 round majority decision over Zane Marks at the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, WA. After a slow start, Ikeke (now 27-3) controlled the fight with his height and reach. Marks (now 17-5) picked spots and lunged in with short combinations and stunned Ikeke in the 7th. Ikeke was able to ride out Marks’ brief bursts of offense and outwork him from distance. Scores were 95-95 and 97-93 twice. Fightnews scored it 96-94 for Ikeke.
The co-main event was a raucous and entertaining rock-em-sock-em match in which heavyweight Andrae Carthon (4-5-2) out-slugged Freddie Miller (1-2-1) over 6 rounds to take a unanimous decision. The judges all scored it 58-54. Fightnews had it 57-55 for Carthon. In a featured fight, George “Monk” Foreman III went to 7-0 by spoiling Dale Mitchell’s debut. Foreman dropped Mitchell in the second and referee Paul Field stopped the fight between rounds on advice of the corner. Official time was 3:00 of the second round.

Full Report: Kingsley “Sharp Knuckle” Ikeke retained his NABA Super Middleweight title via a 10 round majority decision over Zane Marks at the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, WA. Marks (now 17-5) roared out of the gate and swarmed Ikeke. Ikeke (now 27-3) stuck to defense the first two rounds and survived the onslaught. Ikeke warmed up towards the end of the third and was able to create distance from which he could peck apart Marks. Marks was game and awkward and clowning throughout. The fight settled into a pattern of Marks lunging in with short combinations, which Ikeke would ride out before returning to controlling the fight. Marks was able to stun Ikeke in the 7th round, but Ikeke recovered quickly and resumed control. Scores were 95-95 and 97-93 twice. Fightnews scored it 96-94 for Ikeke.

The co-main event was raucous, entertaining and pure rock-em-sock-em action; it brought the crowd to a spontaneous standing ovation at the final bell. Heavyweight Andrae Carthon (4-5-2) first fought Freddie Miller (1-2-1) last June to a four round draw. The rematch featured no defense and –amazingly—no knockdowns. Miller took the close early rounds with crisper punching. Carthon was sternly warned for hitting on the break in the second, and lost a point for a low blow in the same round. In the third round, Miller ran out of steam and Carthon was able to get inside and do damaging body work. Miller looked broken and ready to go, but was able to gain time by holding. Miller then spit his mouthpiece out and the delay allowed him to make it to the bell. A wobbly Miller again spit out his mouthpiece just before the 4th round started, causing a delay and a point deduction. Carthon failed to finish the job in the 4th, mainly because Miller was in survival mode. In the 5th, Miller resumed an attack, which tired him out and opened him up; therefore, Miller suffered a beating at the hands of Carthon. The 5th was a candidate for a 10-8 round with no knockdown, as Carthon piled on power punches and seemed very close to a knockout. Miller tapped some unknown reserve for the last round to make an amazing rally. Both guys were spent and fighting on will, barely able to keep their hands up and putting everything they had into uncontested shots on their opponent’s head. We were as likely to see a knockout as someone collapse of exhaustion. It was the definition of leaving it all in the ring, and the crowd responded to the fighters’ desire and fortitude. Kudos to them both and let’s hope they opt for a third fight. The judges all scored it 58-54 for Carthon. Fightnews scored it 57-55 for Carthon.

Heavyweight George “Monk” Foreman III moved to 7-0 by ruining Dale Mitchell’s pro debut with a second round TKO. Foreman has natural gifts, but is green about many aspects of boxing – his footwork shuffles, he is tentative pulling the trigger on punches, mis-times combinations, and he rarely turns over a punch for full impact. Mitchell knew the basics of fighting and appeared to be trying to make it more than a sparring session. Unfortunately, Mitchell had no power and his stamina ran out in the second round. Mitchell was put down in that round from fatigue and Foreman’s clubbing punches. Mitchell barely made the count, and held until the bell. Between rounds, Mitchell retired, and referee Paul Field called a TKO at 3:00 of the second round.

Seattle heavyweight prospect Vince Thompson (2-0) faced DJ Linderman, an MMA fighter who was making his boxing debut. Linderman was tough and game, but he fought like an MMA fighter in stand-up mode. Linderman switched between conventional and southpaw stances and often just squared up. He lunged in from distance with his punches– as MMA fighters do to reduce the chances of a takedown– and would then grapple Thompson against the ropes. Linderman even used the “superman” jumping punch that’s seen in MMA. That sort of awkward opponent is a tall order for a boxer like Thompson in his second pro fight. Thompson had some clumsy moments, but was able to establish his jab, use the uppercut and step to the side– en route to dominating the fight. It wasn’t always pretty, but a good learning experience for Thompson. All Judges and Fightnews scored it 40-36 for Thompson.

In a middleweight bout, David Lopez (3-2-2) fought to a draw with Paul Mpendo (6-5-4) over four close rounds. Lopez was the better technical boxer. Mpendo had harder, wider shots. When Lopez had distance in the fight, he controlled it. Lopez started slow, and allowed Mpendo to work inside the entire first round. The second and third rounds were close and had a mix of Mpendo working well inside and Lopez working well outside. Mpendo tired in the final round and Lopez dominated from distance. Scores were 39-37, 37-39, and 38-38. Fightnews had it 38-38.

The opening bout was a super middleweight contest between David Combs and Darren Anzai scheduled for 4 rounds. Combs punched wide and seemed to be fighting above his natural weight. Anzai featured crisp, sharp punches and was taller. Both men eschewed defense and worked consistently. Anzai’s straighter punches got there first. Anzai dropped Combs hard halfway through the first. Combs tried to survive, but soon after took a right to the temple on the ropes, and went out on his feet. Combs held on to the ropes to stay upright, but failed to defend against two more Anzai punches. Referee Mark Jacobsen called a TKO at 2:02 of the first. Anzai improves to 1-1 with the win. Combs drops to 1-1-1.

A scheduled fight between John Heath and Tommy Davis at a catch-weight of 185 was canceled.

The card was the 76th installment of Brian Halquist Productions’ Battle at the Boat series at the Emerald Queen Casino I-5 in Tacoma, WA. The 77th Battle at the Boat is scheduled for June 19th, 2010.

    Help Support®

    For 18 years,® has delivered daily boxing news to fight fans around the globe. From the beginning, we have always kept Fightnews free to our readers and relied on advertiser support. Anyway, the Miami Herald, The Guardian, and Wikipedia among others have been using the “crowdfunding” revenue model, so we thought we’d test it too.

    Please consider helping out. You’re not obligated to, but even a $1 pledge would really help. And if we reach our goal, we plan to upgrade our server and maybe even nuke the ads altogether. Wouldn’t that be nice?

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.