Boxing News

John “Apollo Kidd” Thompson stays unbeaten

By Lou McLaughlin at ringside

GH3 Promotions and Greg Cohen Promotions presented a great night of boxing featuring local talent on Friday night at the Robert Treat Hotel in Newark, New Jersey. . The fighters were all backed be legions of their individual enthusiastic supporters. In the main event, jr. middleweight John “Apollo Kidd” Thompson of Newark, New Jersey raised his record to (13-0, 4 KO) against Brandon Quarles (10-2, 1 KO) in an 8 round bout.

The rising jr. middleweight star showcased his skills that have rapidly developed over the past two years. This fight opened with Thompson employing a piston like jab and circling lateral movement. Quarles tried to bull his way into the inside. Thompson seemed a bit off when trying to throw his overhand right. In the second Thompson was finding his way to his opponent’s body. The bout was briefly stopped to replace Quarles’s mouthpiece. Second round closes with Quarles missing with wild rights. In the third round Quarles tried to cut off the ring but Thompson exhibited nimble fleet footed movement. This was a very dominant round for the Newark native. Fourth round was more of the same with Quarles doggedly trying to get to his opponent but Thompson was enjoying target practice. In the fifth Thompson’s over hand right started to find it’s target. Thudding left hooks to the Quarles’s body echoed in the ballroom and he seemed to be losing his enthusiasm for attempting to move forward. Both fighters opened the sixth at a blistering pace. Quarles went to one knee and the referee ruled a standing 8 count. Quarles also goes down in the seventh from what looked like a slip in a furious exchange along the ropes. But the referee issued another standing 8 count. At this point John Thompson knew he had the fight in his favor and in the eighth and final round was content to circle and patiently throw left right combos. The bout finished with Quarles bleeding from the nose and Thompson’s home town crowd roaring their approval of the bout. All three judges tallied 80-70 for John Thompson. In post-fight comments Thompson said that he satisfied with his performance but there is always room for improvement.

On the undercard, Rickey “Paterson Boy “Edwards (3-0, 2 KOs) of Paterson, NJ won a unanimous decision over Christian Steele (3-7-1, 1 KO) of Staunton, VA in a four round lightweight bout. Edwards the taller of the two utilized a piston jab. In the second he caught Steele with an overhand right knocking him down causing a standing eight count. Steele got up but spent the round trying to keep on the outside of Edward’s reach. The third and fourth were spirited and Steele was a little more effective in getting inside to Edward’s body. Edwards was a little wide and wild with his punches leaving himself open. The decision was unanimous with two of the scorecards at 40-35 and one 39-36.

Atlantic City, New Jersey’s undefeated welterweight Anthony “Juice” Young (9-0, 4 KOs) had a very one sided win over James Harrison (3-4-1, 1 KO) of Marrero, Louisiana. Young was very effective staying on the outside. His combinations moved Harrison back to the ropes where Young drove uppercuts through the Louisiana native’s cover. Harrison’s punches for the most part were soft and looping with Young the obviously stronger of the two. For much of the fight the referee was looking hard at Harrison. The final tally for Anthony Young was 40-36 on two scorecards and 40-35 on one

Heavyweight Tyrell Wright (3-0, 2 KOs) of Jersey City, NJ had a short night’s work with Davenport, Iowa’s Alex Rozman (2-3, 1 KO). Rozman with a bulky football player build was knocked down early in the first. The contest was stopped as he arose from the knockdown but was staggering. Time of the stoppage 1.11 of the first round for a TKO.

Jerry “The King’s Son “Odom (5-0, 4 KOs) of Bowie, Maryland halted Antonio Liles (1-4, 1 KO) of North Carolina in a light heavyweight bout.

Middleweight Godson” Soldier Boy” Noel (2-0, 2 KO) of Newark, NJ stopped 40 year old Charles Kirby of Philadelphia (1-7, 1 KO) with Kirby complaining to his corner of an injured shoulder in the opening seconds of the second round. The referee halted the bout at 2:29 with Kirby unable to continue.

Samuel Teah of Philadelphia (1-0,1 KO) won his pro debut with a TKO win over Larry Yanez (3-6-2) of Fort Lauderdale, FL in a lightweight affair. Teah had Yanez down for a standing 8 in the first round. Yanez backed up for most of the second. Teah was very composed in this his first pro fight. In the third Yanez was down again for a standing eight and down a second time to be counted out by TKO at the 2:29 mark.

Danny “Smooth “Kelly (4-0-1, 4 KOs) of Washington, D.C. battled Jamal “Knockout “Woods (3-8-1, 3 KOs) of Forest City, AR in a heavyweight bout for the second draw of the evening. Both fighters had heavy hands. It was a give and take contest with both boxers obviously tired leaning and holding at the end of the fourth. The majority draw was announced at 39-37 Kelly and an even 38-38 on the other two score cards.

In the opening four round welterweight bout of same town and same last name opponents Shkaur Jackson (1-0-1, 1 KO) of Newark, NJ faced Malik Jackson (0-1-1) of Newark. It was an exciting fast paced fight. The scores went 39-37 Shakur, 39-37 Malik, and one scorecard even at 38-38.

Among the boxing celebrities in attendance were former cruiserweight champion Al ‘Ice” Cole, former New Jersey heavyweight Lou Esa and famed HBO announcer Harold Lederman

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.