By Karl Freitag
Photos: Chris Farina / Top Rank
Former World Boxing Council (WBC) middleweight champion and Son of the Legend Julio César Chávez Jr hosted a very interesting international media conference call today to discuss his clash on Saturday against Bryan Vera (23-6, 14 KOs). Chávez, Jr. was joined on the call by Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum and Zanfer Promotions’ Fernando Beltran.
The main topic of discussion was Julio’s weight. Rumors that the contract weight had already been increased to 173 were dismissed by Arum. “We’re going to take a look at what the fighters weigh tomorrow and decide what the weight limit will be, so right now there is no determination on that. I know what Julio Sr. said, but I really believe that at the time he said it he misspoke.”
Julio stated he currently weighs 173. “It’s time for me to move up to 168. That’s what we’ve been working on for this fight. We want to do the best that we can to get me to that weight. I just think that 160 wasn’t good for my health. Healthwise 168 is where I want to be. I think there are some big fights at 168 and I want to continue my career at 168…the only way I’m going to 160 is if I fight Martinez again or a fight so big and so important that 160 would be a sacrifice to make.”
Julio also stated that the cut that postponed this bout from its original September 7 date is healed.