Boxing News

Lartei Lartey upsets Anderson

By Kurt Wolfheimer at ringside

Undefeated welterweight Emanuel Lartei Lartey (14-0-1, 7KOs) stepped into the lion’s den and out-boxed hometown favorite Michael “Slick” Anderson (12-2-1, 10KOs to capture a hard earned ten round unanimous decision victory and the USCB regional championship belt at the Robert Treat Hotel in Newark, New Jersey on Saturday night. The seven bout card promoted by All Out Promotions had a little bit of everything for the six hundred plus in attendance, including an upset, split decisions, a nice knockouts. The card was match by “The Boxing Diva” Renee Aiken.

There was much anticipation in the air as Michael “Slick” Anderson looked to take that next step up in competition against undefeated Ghanaian southpaw Emmanuel Lartei Lartey for the WCB USCB welterweight title. Each fighter showed up at the weigh-in in tremendous shape and ready to put it all on the line. Anderson came out at the opening round, jabbing and looking to land a counter that would put Lartei Lartey on the defensive, but the southpaw from Ghana, now living in the Bronx New York was elusive. As each subsequent round progressed, the shorter Lartei Lartey seemed braver and more offensive, landing short combinations from all different angles while stepping in and out of the pocket. Anderson was game and the rounds were close as he moved and jabbed, looking to land a nice counter. He did land a few hard counters, but Lartei was on the retreat and that took some of the power off the shots. Lartei Lartey looked to take Anderson into deeper waters and stepped up the pace in the middle rounds and it showed as Anderson’s face began to puff up from the sharp hooks. Both fighters fought a game of cat and mouse as each fight stepped in and out of the pocket in the later rounds, but it was Lartei Lartey who was more effective as his punches landed cleaner. The fighters banged heads twice in the in the seventh as happens when an orthodox and southpaw combatants fight on the inside. The second one opened a cut on the left eye of Anderson which put him back on the defensive. Anderson started to get desperate in the ninth, feeling he was behind and took some chances which left him open for hard counters as he bent over after missing. Late in the ninth, a Lartei Lartey overhand right buckled the Newark native knees and put him on the retreat. Anderson looked ready to go as Lartei Lartey unloaded on the hometown hero with six unanswered shots. Anderson was able to clinch and slip out of trouble. Lartei Lartey appeared to be ahead on the cards and fought defensively throughout the tenth, but Anderson couldn’t land that telling blow and the bout was put in the hands of the judges.

All three judges saw the bout 97-93 twice and 97-92 respectively for Emanuel Lartey Lartei who jumped for joy as the belt was slung over his shoulders.

“I knew Michael Anderson would be tough, but we watched video of him and knew our best chance was to take him into the later rounds, ” said Lartei Lartei, who raised the USCB belt and showed his happiness. “This is what I came for. (referring to the belt). When I saw the bout I knew I was going to give my all and win it. You were going to have to kill me in the ring to get me out of there.”

Michael Anderson, though disappointed spoke on the defeat and the awkwardness of Lartei Lartey. “I just couldn’t get comfortable, said Anderson “It was like the difference between fighting a boxer and then fighting a street fight. Even though I have sparred southpaws to prepare for the bout, his punches made him awkward and unorthodox. They were not usually what you might see from a southpaw. Instead of a double jab followed up by combinations, he would throw a wild hook from and odd angle after a jab,” said a frustrated Anderson. “I just couldn’t get comfortable.”

Webster survives Boone

Undefeated super middleweight prospect Derek “Take to the Bank” Webster (14-0, 7KOs) had to shake off eight months of ring rust and it almost cost him as he squeaked out a six round split decision victory over rugged journeyman Darnell Boone (19-20-3, 10KOs) in the 2nd co-feature of the evening. Webster a tall and lanky southpaw, used his long reach and movement to control the ring in the opening two rounds, behind stiff right jabs as both fighters circled around in the center of the ring. Boone would not give up and finally began to get inside in the third as Webster began to tire and started fight while sliding along the ropes. It was there that the Georgian was able to bang some good body shots as Webster tried to escape. Webster was fighting with his mouth open and it caused his mouth piece to fall out in the fourth but his movement and jabs made the round tough to call. The mouthpiece problem continued in the fifth and sixth rounds as Boone continued to press the bout with short combinations. The mouthpiece fell out for the fourth time and the referee Ricky Vera had no choice but to take a point from Webster for the delays in the sixth round. It almost fell out a sixth time during break, but Webster was able to push it in thus avoiding another point and a possible disqualification. The final round was Boone’s as Webster spent most of the time on the bicycle. The bout went to the scorecards. One judge had the bout 57-56 in favor of Boone but was overruled as the other two officials saw hit 59-54 and 59-55 in favor of Derek Webster for the split decision victory.

Beale wins battle of Newark heavyweights

A pair of Newark, New Jersey heavyweights slugged out in a battle for local heavyweight bragging rights, with Tyyab Beale (8-3-1 3KOs) coming out on top with a six round unanimous decision victory over formerly undefeated Aaron “The Animal” Kinch (4-1-1, 1KO). In the early rounds, each fighter had their moments. Tyyab Beale was the better boxer and showed it in the opening two rounds as he used straight punches that backed Aaron Kinch. Kinch was the heavier puncher and showed his power in the second as he laid on Webster against the ropes and battered the fellow Newark native with seven heavy hooks. All the rounds were hard to call as each had his moments. Beale used his height and reach advantage to land the big shots, while the shorter and heavier Kinch used his weight to lean on him and bounce the heavier hooks up top. As the fight progressed, Kinch’s hooks became wider as he became exhausted. The turning point of the fight came in the fifth when Beale slipped Kinch’s hook and staggered him with a counter left. And his glove touched the canvas. Beale jumped on him in the corner and the referee looked close to stopping the fight in the closing seconds, but Kinch swung and missed counter and the bell sounded to end the round. Both fighters again had their moments in the sixth and final round, but neither could land the telling blows to end the show as both traded at the final bell. All three judges saw the bout clearly in favor of Tyyab Beale by scores of 58-55 x 2 and 59-54 respectively.

Reyes impressive in debut

New York Middleweight Pete Reyes put on quite a show in his professional debut both in and outside the ring when he scored a one-sided third round stoppage of Camden, New Jersey’s Oscar Pagan (0-2). Reyes worked out all his dance moves as work his way toward the ring and continued to dance all the way until instructions were given in the center of the ring. Many at ringside laughed at his antics, but the true boxing fans were worried he may have spent too much energy in his pre-fight performance. It wasn’t to be, as Reyes had plenty of energy left in his tank. His stamina showed as he took control early in round two with his constant onslaught of punches which had Pagan on the retreat. Late in the round, Pete Reyes pushed Pagan to the corner and hurt him with a powerful overhand right and then continued to swing away, but Pagan did enough to make it to the bell and survive the second round. Reyes continued the onslaught early in the third. Pagan tried to keep his defense tight, but a Reyes left hook and right uppercut found their mark. Pagan could only cover as Reyes continued to land and it forced referee Eddie Cotton to call a halt to the bout at 50 seconds of the third round.

Dunn batters Molina

It was a battle of “someone’s “0” must go” as a pair of 0-1 welterweights, Shakir Aquel Dunn and Tobias Molina set for battle in an evenly matched four rounder. Dunn was the aggressor right from the get go, as he immediately forced Molina to fight on the retreat. Molina looked like he was trying to weather the early storm in the opening round, but Dunn’s combinations were finding the mark and hurting him. Late in the round, Shakir Aquel Dunn cashed in on his earlier work as a hard left under the ribs forced Molina to bend over and his gloves touch the canvas for a knockdown. Dunn went in for the kill as Molina retreated to the ropes, but he got to close and smothered his punches, which allowed his Molina time to recover as the round came to a close. Dunn was not done as he continued to work the body in the early moments of the second. Two more hooks to the body, once again forced Molina to bend over against the ropes which forced referee Ricky Vera to call it a knockdown. Molina tried to recover, but Dunn was relentless and banged seven unanswered shots through the guard of Molina who could only cover. Referee Ricky Vera had seen enough and called a halt to the bout at 1:07 of the second round.

Jones slips by Coulibay

Middleweight Anthony “Sweet Tooth” Jones (3-0-1) remained unbeaten with a close four round split decision victory over upset minded Issa Coulibaly (0-4). Jones of Newark, New Jersey looked to make it an early evening as he swung away with viscous intentions right from the opening bell and continued to pressure Issa Coulibaly as the hometown crowd cheered him on. Coulibaly weathered the storm and returned fire with short combinations in the third round. Jones would not back down and stood up Washington DC native with a heavy left hand and tried to finish the show, but the bell sounded before any real damaged could be done. The constant pressure by Anthony Jones had him tiring in the fourth but he was able to box thoughout to the final bell and put his bout in the judge’s hands. One judge saw the fight 39-37 Coulibaly but was overruled as the other two officials saw the bout 39-37 in favor of Anthony Jones who ups his record to 3-0-1.

Amaro downs Smith

In the opening bout of the evening, Philly’s Maurice Amaro bounced back on the winning track after a three fight losing streak with a beautiful second technical knockout of Abdellah Smith. Amaro appeared to be behind after a close first round as Smith found spots for heavy hooks. Maurice Amaro turned the tide in the second and staggered Abdellah Smith with a left uppercut and left hook to the rib. Smith forced a clinch, but it wouldn’t matter as moments later, he was caught in the corner and dropped with a heavy left hook to the body. Referee Ricky Vera called a halt to the contest at 2:41 of the second round. Maurice Amaro jumps to 2-5, 1KO while Abdellah Smith drops to 2-5.

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.