Boxing News

Major-Clark: No Contest!

By Bob Caico at ringside
Photos: Boxing Bob Newman

Click the photo to go to the next photo
The NABA lightweight championship title fight between Meacher Major and Michael Clark ended suddenly and controversially Friday night in Buffalo, NY. The bout that began as if it would be an exciting 10-round contest turned when Major landed a blow to the back of the neck of Clark that dropped him to his knees. The referee gave Clark a few minutes to recuperate and resumed the action. Clark still seemed stunned by the blow but fought on. Seconds later as the fighters tied up, referee Hubert Earle called a break. Major landed a right hand to the jaw that knocked Clark on his back and he seemed to be in some discomfort. Earle called the bout off and emergency personnel entered the ring. Clark seemed to be ok but was carried out on a stretcher as a precaution. The bout was ruled a no-contest at 2:14 of round one from an “accidental foul.”

The card promoted by X-cell Worldwide was billed as Buffalo Beatdown and that lived up to its name for the local boxers on the card.

Nick “Hands of Gold” Casal of Niagara Falls, fighting near his hometown for the first time, overwhelmed game Shad Howard (13-15-3) of Jefferson City, Missouri. Casal dropped Howard near the end of round two with some well placed body shots and rights to the head. Howard, to his credit, came out slugging in the third but Casal was determined to impress in front of his fans and landed the more powerful punches that hurt Howard and backed him into the corner. Casal jumped at that chance and landed 14 unanswered shots that forced referee Charlie Fitch to halt the action at 1:30 of the third round. Casal who looked strong at 141 pounds raised his record to 19-4-1.

Fast rising super featherweight Guillermo Sanchez of Buffalo improved to 9-0 with a first round TKO over Ron Boyd (6-8) of Washington DC. Sanchez had Boyd down twice in the round, the last on after a flurry of combinations. Time of the stoppage was 2:59.

Excell Holmes made a triumphant debut in his hometown with a second round TKO over Damien Clement (0-2) of Dayton, Ohio. The local heavyweight looked sharp and bloodied the nose of Clement in the second round. Between rounds, Clement complained that he couldn’t breathe from a possible broken nose, and the fight was stopped before the third round bell.

Kenny Abril of Rochester and Sebastian Hamel of Montreal put on a competitive six round super lightweight battle. Abril scored a flash knockdown with the first punch of the fight but from there on it was a close battle. Abril did enough over the next five rounds to score a 59-55, 58-56 and 59-55 unanimous decision to improve to 9-3-1. Hamel slides to 10-19-1.

    Help Support®

    For 18 years,® has delivered daily boxing news to fight fans around the globe. From the beginning, we have always kept Fightnews free to our readers and relied on advertiser support. Anyway, the Miami Herald, The Guardian, and Wikipedia among others have been using the “crowdfunding” revenue model, so we thought we’d test it too.

    Please consider helping out. You’re not obligated to, but even a $1 pledge would really help. And if we reach our goal, we plan to upgrade our server and maybe even nuke the ads altogether. Wouldn’t that be nice?

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.