Golden Boy Promotions officially announced the rematch of Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5-1, 37 KOs) and Juan Diaz (35-3, 17 KOs) for July 31, at Mandalay Bay in Vegas. Trying to repeat the success of last year’s Fight of the Year, the two will both return to lightweight to fight for the WBA and WBO titles.
“A lot of people are saying this is a must-win fight for me,” said Diaz. “But I don’t see it that way. I see it as redemption. This fight has been in the back of my head and I’m going to pick up where I left off – the ninth round.”
“There are two reasons to fight Juan Diaz again,” said Marquez. “Number one: He’s a great fighter deserves a rematch. No. 2: People want to see this kind of fight. Last year it was Fight of the Year. Maybe, now in 2010, it will be it again.”
Marquez-Diaz II will be televised on HBO pay-per-view.