Boxing Result

McClain crushes Steele

By Jose E. Santiago at ringside

Photo: Ozzie Santiago
Photo: Ozzie Santiago

Last night at a jam packed Absoloot Boxing’s The Pit in the heart of Atlanta Georgia, Yahya McClain (24-7-2, 17 KOs) dazzled the crowd as he dismantled the game but outclassed Shane “Superman” Steele (6-2, 5 KOs) of Kentucky over three one-sided rounds.

Photos: Ozzie Santiago

Click the photo to go to the next photo

In the first round it was evident that McClain was ready to go regardless of the ten year hiatus following his retirement in ’98. Using quick footwork, he immediately began peppering Steele with long jabs. The somewhat surprised Kentucky native was not deterred however as he continued to press forward. Much to his dismay his aggressiveness was often countered with crisp right and left hooks. At the sound of the bell McClain appeared to have a smile on his face as to signify that he is happy to be back.

The second round was identical to the first; Steele moving forward and McClain countering his every move. After a number of jabs successfully connected, Steele’s nose began to spew blood and his face reddened.

In the third and final round, McClain continued to dominate with a countering frenzy every time Steele aggressively moved forward. With 30 seconds left in the round, McClain landed one more counter shot that wobbled Steele. Steele was pretty much out on his feet and reeled into the ropes with his hands up. McClain jumped all over him and dropped him with a barrage of punches to the head and body. Struggling, Steele finally made it to his feet at the eight count but referee Jim Korb mercifully stopped it. Official time was 2:49 of round 3.

“This is no publicity stunt” said McClain after the fight. He continued, “I’m really am back and plan on being a world champion in 2010”.

In other action:

In a super welterweight contest, Fred “The Onyx” Tukes (8-1-1 5KO), recently seen on HBO’s 24/7 series working in the Miguel Cotto camp, had his hands full with the experienced Tommy “The Minister” Davis (12-15 7KO). After four close rounds, Tukes ended the fight impressively by dominating the last two. Scores read: 59-56, 58-56 twice.

Atlanta’s Dante Woods (4-0 4KO) scored a crushing 1st round knockout over debuting Brandon Wilcox of St. Louis. Wilcox was out on his back for about 5 minutes following the knockout, but after some medical attention was able to walk out of the ring on his own fruition.

Selma AL native John Willoughby (1-1 1KO) scored a 2nd round TKO over Atlanta’s Rohan Wilson (2-2-1 1KO).

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.