Boxing Result

McDermott overpowers Abraham

By Kurt Wolfheimer

Local junior welterweight sensation Danny “Little Mac” McDermott (9-3-1,4KO’s) sent his local fans home happy with a scintillating fourth round stoppage of Brian “The Brick” Abraham (5-10-2, 5KO’s) in the six round main event at Schuetzen Park in North Bergen New Jersey on Thursday night. The five bout card promoted by Rich Komissar Promotions and RKO Boxing, provided fans with a little of everything, including upsets, and knockouts and even a split draw.

McDermott, who entered the contest with a split decision loss to Brian Miller 8-0-2, 3KO’s in an unsuccessfull attempt at the WBF All Americas lightweight title, as well as a close unanimous decision loss to lightweight prospect Osnel Charles (6-2), knew a victory was essential if he was to get his career back on track.
It appeared a dangerous opponent was chosen for the fight in Brian “The Brick” Abraham of Schenectady< New York. Abraham entered the ring with a less than spectacular record of 5-9-2, but all five his victories have come by the way of knockout.The heavy handed Abraham worked the body in the opening round as McDermott looked to establish his jab. Eventually McDermott began to find his range with his jabs as the round came to a close.Each fighter had their moments in the second. Abraham would connect with the heavier shots, but McDermott’s unstoppable will and hard chin allowed him return some big shots of his own.Abraham, in an attempt to confuse McDermott, switched to the southpaw I stance in the third. The man known as “little Mac” would have none of it and bounced two big rights off the face of his opponent. Abraham did not back down and returned fire with a heavy four punch combo. The combination only appeared to anger McDermott who dropped his hands and told Abraham that he was ready to go and banged away several nice combinations. Late in the round McDermott accidentally sent a right south of the border and Abraham was allowed several minutes shake it off the pain.The confidence of Danny McDermott was at an all time high and he walked right through some of Abraham’s best shots late in the third and early in the fourth. Abraham began to back straight out and it would be a big mistake as Danny found his chin with a good right hand which stunned him. Abraham tried to fight back while on the retreat and even connected with a nice right, but McDermott was on the attack with big combinations that sent the pro McDermott crowd into a frenzy. Abraham ate another right hand which had him reeling as he went on the retreat. This time McDermott would not let him off the hook and he battered him from ring rope to ring rope. McDermott caught him against the ropes with one more four punch combination which finished the show as the referee stepped in and called a halt to the bout at 2:38 of the fourth round.“I realized he couldn’t hurt me as the fight went on, so I got I little cute,” said McDermott afterward. “A lot of the guys he knocked out didn’t have the granite McDermott chin that I do. They say Granit breaks brick every time (referring to Abraham’s nickname) and that is what I did.”Look for Danny McDermott to continue his comeback on January 21st at location to be announced in the near future.Baldwin draws with Foster

In the co-feature of the evening, local favorite Thomas “Too Quick” Baldwin of Newark, NJ had to settle for a draw with Hilliard, Ohio’s Dominique Foster (Pro Debut) in their scheduled four round Welterweight contest.

Baldwin was clearly the better boxer and appeared to easily win the second round, after a feeling out first. “Too Quick” looked to be on his way to a convincing victory, when a shocking moment happened in the third. Foster, who didn’t muster much offense throughout, dropped Baldwin with a right hand. He even landed three punches while Baldwin was on the canvas with no warning. Still stunned, Baldwin rose to his feet and survived the round as Dominique Foster would only land the occasional counter.

Baldwin recovered in the corner and then boxed his way throughout the final round to what appeared to be a close but expected victory. However the judges saw it differently. One judges saw it 38-37 for Baldwin while the second had it 38-37 in favor of Foster. The final official had at 38-38 resulting in a split draw.

Crabtree crumples Terrill

It was supposed to be a big night for the debut “Irish” Danny Terril who entered the ring with a large contingent of fans, loudly rooting him, but it wasn’t to be on this night as he was shocked by Hilliard, Ohio welterweight “Iron” Daniel Crabtree .

Terrill immediately tried to take control of the bout, as he put constant pressure on Crabtree throughout the opening round. His punches were wide though and Crabtree stood him up with a punch combination from the southpaw stance in the closing seconds of the opening round. Though Terrill won the opening round, he went to the corner with a bloody nose.

Both fighters went toe to toe in a battle of wills throughout the second round in a wild affair. Terrill was the busier puncher, but he kept his chin in the up, while working the body and it cost him. Crabtree rocked him with a big right hand on the chin. Terrill tried to fight back, but another right hand sent him to the canvas in the final minute. Crabtree looked like he was about to end it as he unloaded five unanswered punches, but Terrill was able to smother him enough to survive the round.

Terrill didn’t look good as he opened round three and Crabtree made the most of it, dropping him almost immediately with a double right hand combo. Terrill rose to his feet and fought back on unsteady legs. Crabtree appeared to tire and it looked like Terrill might recover, but two wild rights stunned him again. Crabtree seized the opportunity and uncorked a beautiful one two from his southpaw stance that floored Terrill for the final time in the corner. Referee Sammy Viruet waived the contest off, awarding Daniel Crabtree the TKO victory. The official time of the stoppage was 1:18 of the third round.
Terrill put up one hell of an effort in the loss and was given a nice ovation from his fans afterward as he left the ring.

Daniel Crabtree ups his record to 2-3,2KO’s.

Farmer upsets Jones

Philly lightweight Tevin Farmer moved to 3-2-1, 1KO with a minor upset of Brooklyn, New York’s Ian “Iron Skin” James (1-2, 1KO) in their scheduled four round contest. Farmer, who had a draw and a close loss in his last two bouts against tough competition, knew he had to set the tone early if he was going to pull off the victory and went after a James right from the opening bell with quick combinations from the southpaw stance.

Ian James was game and tried to fight back, but a short right dropped him with just seconds to go in the opening round. James was able to get to his feet and was receiving more punishment when the bell sound to end the round. Farmer would not let James recover in the second as he immediately planted the Brooklyn native on the ropes and unleashed a big five punch combination. James tried to fight back, but a right hand up top, had him in bad shape. Referee Sammy Viruet made the proper call and stepped in waived the fight off. The official time of the stoppage was 23 seconds of the second round.

Silgado wallops Williams

Columbian welterweight knockout artist, Santander Silgado made his debut on American soil with an impressive second round stoppage Glen Williams in the opening contest of the evening.

Silgado found his mark in the early going, as he targeted the fluffy midriff of the former Catonsville, Maryland native, who now resides in Houston, Texas. Williams tried to return fire, but he was caught with two strong body shots which dropped his hands in the closing minute of the round. Silgado followed with an overhand right on the button that sent Williams to the canvas for the first time of the fight. Glenn Williams immediately rose to his feet but the bell saved him further damage.

Having felt the power, Williams went into the peek a boo defense with his gloves covering his face. It would not bother Silgado who mixed in good body work and heavy hooks. Williams began to wither and was forced to trade in the closing moments of the round. A Silgado right hand rocked him and he tried to fight back but a chopping right hand put him on the canvas for the second time of the fight. Williams rose to his feet, but referee Earl Morton looked into his eyes and waived the bout off at 2:51 of the second round.

    Help Support®

    For 18 years,® has delivered daily boxing news to fight fans around the globe. From the beginning, we have always kept Fightnews free to our readers and relied on advertiser support. Anyway, the Miami Herald, The Guardian, and Wikipedia among others have been using the “crowdfunding” revenue model, so we thought we’d test it too.

    Please consider helping out. You’re not obligated to, but even a $1 pledge would really help. And if we reach our goal, we plan to upgrade our server and maybe even nuke the ads altogether. Wouldn’t that be nice?

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.