By Boxing Bob Newman
Some side notes concerning WBC champions were taken today during the opening of the WBC-Hublot Watch boxers pension fund auction event at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. WBC president Jose Sulaiman spoke on matters concerning their Super Welterweight champ Saul “El Canelo” Alvarez and former Middleweight champ Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Alvarez will have to face the winner of the final eliminator between Vanes Martirosyan and Erislandy Lara, which will happen on November 10 in Las Vegas. Unless “Canelo” has another fight around that same time, which is unlikely, he will have to face the winner next.
Chavez Jr. and Sergio Martinez will not likely not have an immediate rematch, at least as far as the WBC is concerned. “The WBC is not in favor of immediate rematches, unless there is overwhelming public demand due to some unusual circumstances in the first fight. This fight was one sided. Other than the dramatic last round in which Jr. almost scored a sensational come-from-behind knockout, there were no unusual circumstances to necessitate an immediate rematch,” said Sulaiman.
Newly crowned WBC female Super Welterweight champion Mia St. John has decided to do an about face on her retirement announcement following her win over Christy Martin back on August 14. Originally, both ladies announced that would be the last fight for each of them. So far, Martin has stuck to her word. For St. John’s part, the new champ said, “Just because Christy retired, why should I?” St. John looks to defend against Molly McConnell on November 10 in Bakersfield, CA, Roy Englebrecht to promote.