By Nick Giongco
Shane Mosley is not only amenable to a catch weight and a 60-40 revenue split in favor of Manny Pacquiao but the flashy American puncher likewise dangles an immediate rematch clause in the event of a victory over the Filipino boxing icon. “I don’t have to ask Manny to fight me because he has agreed to face me so I am asking (Top Rank chief) Bob Arum to get it on,” Mosley told Manila Bulletin and fightnews on Friday afternoon in a long distance interview. Mosley said he is not only willing to get down to as light as 144 lbs and is agreeable to a lesser share of the prize money but is inclined to give Pacquiao a rematch clause if he emerges victorious in a proposed Oct. 17 showdown.
“If I win, I will immediately give Pacquiao a rematch before I face (Floyd) Mayweather,” said Mosley, the reigning World Boxing Association welterweight titlist. “I don’t see any problem between me and Manny Pacquiao (as) we have both agreed to fight each other so Bob Arum should make this fight,” said Mosley, who turns 38 in September.
Pacquiao had been quoted as saying that he is amenable to a fight with Mosley provided that he is happy with the outcome of planned negotiations between his promoter Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions (GBP), which has Mosley under its banner.
Mosley said Arum is more interested in staging an all-Top Rank slugfest with the Hall of Fame promoter eyeing Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto or Venezuelan Edwin Valero as Pacquiao’s opponent in October. “Arum wants Cotto for Pacquiao and Edwin Valero. But nobody knows who Valero is,” said Mosley, who holds two wins over Oscar De La Hoya.
“I am a major attraction,” added Mosley.