By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Former WBA super middleweight champion Anthony Mundine (40-3, 24KO’s) will be in action next Wednesday when he will have his last contest with an Australian opponent when he hopes to defeat the Australian 2010 super middleweight contender winner Garth Wood (9-1-,5KO’s) in a ten round middleweight bout at the Acer Arena at Homebush, Sydney, NSW, Australia. Wood scored wins over former world rated Victor Oganov and Kariz Kariuki to capture the Contender 168 pound title in 2010. Mundine who is now trained by former WBO 147 pound challenger Jeff Malcolm is looking to eventual challenge Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather and is also looking for fights in the USA against Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito.
WBA#2 Mundine hopes to challenge for the WBA interim 154 pound title against Rigoberto Alvarez soon. Mundine said ”We are trying to get Alvarez here, win the title here and then go over there. I would probably defend against Trout or they are talking about Ronald Hearns, who is [Thomas] ‘Hitman’ Hearns’s son. I don’t care. Once I get over there, just line them up … I want to climb the ladder until I get to the best of the best.”
Other names on the list include WBA light middleweight champion Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito, who lost a unanimous points decision to Pacquiao last month.”I believe I can beat every fighter in the world,” Mundine added. ”The only ones who can match me are the ones who are at the top – the premier fighters like the Pacquiaos and the Mayweathers. That is when you are going to get tested.
”Cotto is going to be a difficult fight but I believe I can beat him; Margarito is going to be a difficult fight but I believe I can beat him. It’s exciting times for me because I am chasing my dream and I want to try and make it become reality.”I want to become one of the best pound for pounders in the world and I think once I get one name and they can see what I can do they are going to say put him in with this guy, put him in with that guy. They will want to step the competition up and up, but I am ready for the challenge.” For now, he is focused on beating Wood. ”What is driving me for this fight is the desire for what is after this,” he said. ”I want to get this out of the way and just move onto bigger dreams that I have set for myself.
”That is why when The Contender people bought this idea to me I thought it was the best way because I’m sick of Aussies always calling me out. If they are all going to fight each other, I said I will take the best of them. I’ve already fought the world-rated ones, so once I’ve fought the next best, then we can end the chapter …because me and probably my fans and most of the critics are sick of me beating up on these boys.”Promoter Tony Mundine snr Boxa Promotions. Matchmaker George Reno. televised throughout Australia by Foxtel Main Event cable television network. Ringside Commentator Bruce Eva