By Rick Scharmberg
Former “Contender Season One” star Ahmed “Babyface” Kaddour (21-2-1, 9 KOs), of Aarhus, Denmark has signed a standard three-year deal with promoter Nedal Abuhumoud, of New Jersey. Kaddour recently returned to the ring after nearly three years with a decision over Mike Ermis on September 9, 2009 in Denmark. Nedal is also making a comeback after a year out of the sport due to the illness and subsequent passing of his father. Nedal initially brought Lebanon-born Kaddour to the USA back in 2003.
Kaddour was brash and unbeaten at (18-0) when he first appeared on “The Contender”. He immediately got into a conflict of personalities with fellow contestant Ishe “Sugar Shay” Smith. Kaddour trash-talked Ishe at every turn and Smith responded by taunting Kaddour during a sparring session.
Smith and Kaddour drew high ratings, which led to a show-down that Smith won with a hard fought decision.
Kaddour was eliminated, but was voted back — based on his effort against Smith – by his fellow fighters after another contestant, Juan De La Rosa, dropped out of the competition. Ahmed went on to drop a decision to Alfonso Gomez in the next round.
“Ahmed was twenty-one years old when I first brought him here,” said Nedal. “He’s twenty-eight now, and has matured a lot since then. He’s colorful and he likes to talk.”
The two losses in The Contender, along with a since avenged draw with Jesus Felipe Valverde, are the only blemishes on Kaddour’s record.
“The year 2010 is a new year for us,” stated Nedal. “I brought Kabary Salem to fight Joe Calzaghe, and we dropped Calzaghe. I took Omar Sheika to fight for the world title against Jeff Lacy. I also had Nurhan Suleyman, and he fought on television numerous times.”
Nedal hopes to have Kaddour appear on a show he plans to promote in March. “I hope to do four to five shows this year,” he said.