The American Association for the Improvement of Boxing (AAIB) will host its 40th Anniversary Founders Boxing Luncheon at the Marriott Hotel in Tarrytown, N.Y. on Sunday, March 15th, 2009 at 12:00 NOON.
The affair honors the memory of Former Heavyweight Champion Rocky Marciano, who co-founded the AAIB in 1969, along with Steve Acunto. All awards are given in Marciano’s name.
The honorees are as follows:
- Former Heavyweight Champion, Ken Norton will be the recipient of the” Champions Award.”
- HBO analyst Emanuel Steward will be presented the” Media Award.”
- Referee, Steve Smoger will take home the “Officials Award.”
- Pat Burns will be presented with the “Trainers Award.”
- Dr. Charles Butler was chosen to receive the “Sports Medicine Award.”
In addition to their annual academic scholarship, the AAIB will be giving out two more scholarships that are firsts for the organization. The newly created scholarship is tailored to meet the needs of the amateur or retired boxer, who wants to further his or her education.
The celebration will be replete with a number of former award recipients such as Emile Griffith, Vito Antuofermo, Mark Breland, Iran Barkley, John Duddy, Melvina Lathan, Harold Lederman, Arthur Mercante, and other boxing legends and celebrities from the sports and entertainment world.
For more information about the March 15th affair, please contact the AAIB at 914-664-4571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.