Boxing News

Results from Memphis

By Michael Sheffield/

The renaissance of “Miller Light Fight Night” on Beale Street at the New Daisy Theatre continued on November 3, with a four bout card that featured a group of up and coming fighters who put on gutsy performances for a capacity crowd at the New Daisy. Former welterweight world champion and front running trainer Buddy McGirt was in attendance at the historic theater. The first fight of the evening, a 4-round junior welterweight contest between Marlon Lewis (1-1-1) and Rohan Wilson (2-1-1) was more a crowd pleasing display of heart than sweet science.

Atlanta native, Rohan Wilson got ahead early on the score cards after taking advantage of openings in Lewis’ defense, as he lead with his head moving forward. Wilson swelled both of Lewis’ eyes and bloodied his nose early, but seemed to tucker out halfway through the second round. While Wilson might have believed he had done enough physical and mental damage to Lewis at that point that a close third round (either fighter could have won that particular round) had no real effect on the outcome. By the time the final bell sounded, the face of Memphis native Lewis, was a mask of swelling and blood. The judges scored the bout 38-38, 39-37, 36-39, calling it a draw much to the dismay of the crowd and Wilson, who was heard saying, “I ain’t coming back up here,” as he was leaving the ring.

The second fight of the night featured the pro debuts of Dedrick Bell and Lewis Crews in a 4-round welterweight contest that quickly devolved into a wild skirmish. Bell, who had a strong following in the audience, came out so aggressive in the first that he nearly burned himself out near the end of the three minutes.

Crews, gamely attempted to turn the fight into a boxing match, slipped or was shoved to the canvas three times in the first round, with two of them officially scored as knockdowns by referee Randy Phillips, but actual knockdowns could be debated.

Crews ended the first round strong, scoring an overhand right followed by a hook that snapped Bell to attention.

Bell started the second round a little more collected, but rather then clean punches, landed more incidental blows and pushed Crews around. Crews eventually gave up trying to box and began to retreat. Phillips would stop the fight at 2:25 of the second round, following a standing eight count.

Between fights, the Tennessee Athletic Commission announced the main event, a 6-round middleweight bout between Grover Young and Anthony Bowman was cancelled, due to Bowman being medically disqualified for not taking a neurological exam. Bowman, given a mic, apologized to a disappointed crowd.

The final fight of the evening, a 4-round middleweight contest between amateur standout Bobby Bryant (1-0, 1 KO) vs Josh Hickerson 149 lbs. (0-1) wouldn’t last one round as Bryant decimated is opponent in 81 seconds with a steady serving of lefts to the body and rights up top. Bryant didn’t waste any punches during the fight, but was clearly disappointed by the stoppage by Randy Phillips. It was purely academic and a matter of time before he scored a knockout, but Bryant would have to settle for a TKO.

The event was promoted by Prize Fight Boxing.

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.