Former two time world champion Roman “Rocky” Martínez will not fight this Saturday, April 12, against Raymundo Beltran because he has been sick since last week and has not been able to train for a few days. The bout between the #11 ranked Martinez (27-2-2, 16 KOs) and the #1 ranked Beltran (28-6-1, 17 KOs) was for the WBO NABO lightweight title and for the chance for the winner to faceWBO 135 pounds champion Terence Crawford. Also, it was the co-main event of the HBO Pay Per View card featured Timothy Bradley and Manny Pacquiao facing for the Bradley’s WBO welterweight belt, in a Top Rank presentation. Word is Martinez will be replaced by Arash Usmanee.
“Rocky was feeling dizzy for the past days and went to the doctor, who did some tests and doctors advised him not to fight, that he was unable to do so”, said Peter Rivera, Vice-President of PR Best Boxing Promotions, the company representing Martinez promotionally with Top Rank. “This was a fight Rocky wanted to win, very important in his career, a fight that put him in route to a world title and everybody knows that Rocky is a fighter who want to be in a 100% condition.”
Martinez, who came off an eight round TKO lost against Mikey Garcia in November, 2013, was supposed to make his debut at 135 pounds against Beltran, whose last fight was a controversial draw against the former WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns in September, 2013. “We are hopeful that Rocky is better to continue with our plans to become world champion again,” Rivera said.