By Matt Richardson
On Sunday morning WBA mandatory junior welterweight challenger Dmitriy Salita informed Fightnews.com that he is ready, willing and eager to face new champion Amir Khan. Khan won a unanimous decision over Andreas Kotelnik on Saturday night to win the title. “Technically, Amir Khan fought a great fight,” said Salita (30-0-1, 16 KOs). “But I feel my shot is long overdue. I’ve been waiting. I’m the young gun and I’m going to crush Amir Khan and he’s going to have to pay for all the time I’ve waited.”
Salita said there is a 90-day negotiating period for Khan promoter Frank Warren and Salita’s promoter, Square Ring, to finalize a deal. Salita said both promoters had already had preliminary talks prior to Khan’s win.
“I’m confident it will happen,” he said. “I’m the official challenger. It’s up to Amir Khan to live up to his title as a champion and I think he will.” Salita said he was willing to fight anytime and anywhere to get his first title shot, even if it meant fighting in the UK. “I’ll do whatever I have to do to fight for the title,” he said.
“HBO also has interest in the fight so wherever it happens I think it’s a mega-fight.” Salita, a staple of boxing in New York over the last several years, sounded excited at the chance to win his first title. “I deserve my shot,” he said. “I deserve my opportunity and I look forward to Amir stepping up to the plate and defending his belt in the ring against the official challenger.”