By Damrong Simakajornboon
Photos: Kazuto Harada
The Asian Boxing Council (ABCO), a regional organization affiliated with WBC, held a “WBC Asia and WBC Muaythai Press Conference 2014″ on Wednesday, April 9, at Asia Hotel in Ratchathewi, Bangkok, Thailand. The highlight of the event was the annual awards’ presentation to the boxers and promoters who have an outstanding achievement during the year 2013. “The WBC Asia Boxer of the Year” is the WBC Superflyweight champion Srisaket Sor Rungvisai of Thailand. Srisaket is now scheduled to defend his title against the mandatory challenger Carlos Cuadras on May 31 in Mexico. Also, his promoter-manager Surachart Pisitwutthinan was awarded as “the WBC Asia Promoter of the year” becuase of his achievement in promoting 2 WBC world title fights and 6 WBC Asia championship fights.
The others WBC Asia awards of 2013 were as follows:
1. WBC Asia champion of the year: Nawaphon Por Chokchai (Thailand) WBC Asia flyweight champion
2. WBC Asia Continental champion of the year: Sirimongkol Singwancha (Thailand) WBC Asia Continental welterweight champion
3. WBC Asia Female Boxer of the year: Rika Matsumoto (Japan) WBC Asia Female light flyweight champion
4. WBC Asia prospect of the year: Rex Tso (Hong Kong) WBC Asia Continental super flyweight champion
5. WBC Asia Fight of the year: Lionel Legada (Philippines) and Lionel Mark Duran (Philippines) for WBC Asia Continental flyweight championship bout.
6. Exemplary Boxer of the year: Myung-goo Yuh (Korea) WBC Asia super flyweight champion
Promoters and others awards
1. WBC Asia Pacific Region Promoter of the Year : Brico Santig (Philippines)
2. WBC Asia China Zone Promoter of the Year: Liu Gang (China)
3. WBC Asia China SAR Promoter of the Year: Jay Lau (Hong Kong)
4. WBC Asia Central Asia Promoter of the Year: Yerik Jailauov (Kazakhstan)
5. WBC Asia Australasia Promoter of the Year: Peter Maniatis (Australia)
6. WBC Asia Youth Championship Promoter of the year: Virat Vachirarattanawongsi (Thailand)
7. WBC Asia Female Promoter of the Year: Pariyakorn Rattanasuban (Thailand)
8. WBC Asia Distinguished Promoter of the Year: Kokiet Panichyarom (Thailand)
9. WBC Asia Honorary Promoter of the year: Narongwas Buamas (Thailand), Mr.Johnny Elorde (Philippines) and Mr.Bebot Elorde (Philippines)
10. WBC Asia Supporter of the year: Naris Singhawungcha (Thailand)
Before the award presentation, WBC Muaythai Secretary General Patric Cusick gave a report on the status of WBC Muaythai. ABCO Executive Secretary Colonel Damrong Simakajornboon gave a report on the activities and current situation of WBC Asia which concluded that ABCO championship fights had been promoted 45 times (24 WBC Asia,19 WBC Asia Continental and 2 WBC Asia Female) in 8 countries of Asia-Pacific region in 2013. The press conference was finished by Gen. Kovid Bhakdibhumi who delivered the keynote speech, emphasizing on good match-up of the championship fight. This is for boxing safety standard and also for entertaining combat sport.
Also, there was the sounding of the 10-bell count in posthumous homage to Hall of Famer Dr. Jose Sulaiman and 5 legendary Muaythai fighters who passed away during 2013-early of 2014.