Tickets, priced at $125.00 per person, are available to purchase by calling 1.718.729.4862 or 1.516.313.2304. People are advised to call for reservations to avoid being shutout. Donations of any denomination are also welcome for those unable to attend the festivities.
Tickets include a complete brunch with cocktail hour upon entry, seating at the awards ceremony, dinner and dessert, and top-shelf open bar throughout the afternoon. There will also be a silent auction of boxing memorabilia.
“Ring 8 proudly continues its sterling record for lending a helping hand to those in the boxing community who are less fortunate,” Ring 8 president Bob Duffy said. “Some may require assistance towards paying their rent, medical expenses, or whatever justifiable need. Each year our Holiday Event and Awards Ceremony celebrates our great sport of boxing, insuring much-needed funding is raised so we may continue our mission for our needy brothers and sisters in boxing. We will never waver from their corners.”
Expected attending celebrities include last year’s Ring 8 Fighter of the Year, undefeated WBO middleweight champion Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin, as well as world champions Pinklon Thomas, Vito Antuofermo, Mark Breland, Michael Bentt, Tony DeMarco, Luis Colazzo and Junior Jones, plus world heavyweight title challenger Renaldo “Mr.” Snipes, Bobby Cassidy and others.
Below is a list of 2013 Ring 8’s award winners:
- Fighter of the Year: Danny Garcia
- Uncrowned Champion: Gasper Ortega
- Official of the Year: Deputy Commissioner Robert Orlando
- Amateur Official of the Year: Dan Gant
- Member of the Year: Carmine Rastelli
- Professional Judge of the Year: John McKaie
- Prospect of the Year: Seanie Monahan
- Professional Trainer of the Year: Bob Jackson
- Amateur Trainer of the Year: Joe Higgins
- Emile Griffith Good Guy Award: Sal Corrente
- Long & Meritorious Service: Dr. William “Bill” Lathan
- Special Presentation: Bobby Bartels & Lenny Mangiapane
- (honoring the 50th anniversary of their classic main event fight at Madison Square Garden)
Go online to www.Ring8ny.com for more information about Ring 8 or its annual Holiday Events and Awards Ceremony.
Russo’s On The Bay is located at 162-45 Crossbay Blvd. in Howard Beach (718.843.5055).
ABOUT RING 8: Formed in 1954 by an ex-prizefighter, Jack Grebelsky, Ring 8 became the eighth subsidiary of what was then known as the National Veteran Boxers Association – hence, RING 8 – and today the organization’s motto still remains: Boxers Helping Boxers.
RING 8 is fully committed to supporting less fortunate people in the boxing community who may require assistance in terms of paying rent, medical expenses, or whatever justifiable need.
Go on line to www.Ring8ny.com for more information about RING 8, the largest group of its kind in the United States with more than 350 members. Annual membership dues is only $30.00 and each member is entitled to a buffet dinner at RING 8 monthly meetings, the third Tuesday of every month, excluding July and August. All active boxers, amateur and professional, are entitled to a complimentary RING 8 yearly membership.