Boxing News

Vasquez downs Dailey

By Kurt Wolfheimer at ringside.

The originally scheduled main event at the Arena in South Philadelphia, PA on Friday evening between Derek “Pooh” Ennis (19-2-1, 12 KOs) and Edwin Vasquez (22-14-2, 8 KOs) had to be postponed when Ennis rolled his ankle over the weekend and due to the swelling, was unable to complete his training for the fight. Promoter Greg Robinson of Power Productions knew the show must go on and put together quite an entertaining five bout card which left over seven hundred and fifty plus fans in attendance extremely satisfied. In the main event of the evening, lightweight Victor Vasquez (11-3, 6 KOs) once again proved why he is such a crowd favorite in Philly by scoring a hard fought sixth round stoppage of Gustavo Dailey. The co-feature of the evening would not disappoint either as featherweight prospect Coy Evans blasted out twenty fight veteran Vineash Rungea for just the second time in his professional career with a devastating straight right hand at 2:20 of the second round.

Lightweight prospect Victor Vasquez knew it was him time as he stepped into the ring for his first main event as a pro and wanted to put on quite a show for the hometown fans. In the other corner stood rugged southpaw Gustavo Dailey, who had recently fought three highly entertaining bouts against Tyrell “Da Show Shocka” Samuel in Maryland. Dailey looked in tip top shape and ready to pull the upset.

Gustavo tried to immediately take control of the fight as he rushed across the ring and swung away, but Vasquez weathered the storm and boxed his way out of trouble.

The hard swinging Dailey kept trying to land the knockout blow and threw with reckless abandon, which forced Vasquez who wouldn’t back down into several toe-to-toe exchanges.

Dailey was game and caught Vasquez backing out with his head up on a couple of occasions, but it did not deter the Philadelphian who continued a steady onslaught of his own, much to the delight of his raucous fans.

The fight went inside in round three and Victor took advantage with several short chopping shots.

Dailey fought back, but was caught with a big right hand in round four. He just smiled and shrugged it off and tried to answer with some right hands of his own.

A turning point happened in the middle of round five, when Dailey’s waist band of his protector broke. He motioned to referee Hurley McCall, but he did nothing and let the action continue. The broken waistband seemed to slow the mobility of Dailey but he continued to fight on. Victor took advantage of the less then mobile Dailey with several heavy right hands on the button.

Between rounds, Dailey’s corner worked feverishly to tape the waist band protector and get Dailey back into action for the sixth and final round.

Vasquez opened up the final round and caught his opponent with a counter left hook on the button. Dailey tried to return fire, but Vasquez ducked and continually landed left hooks in the heavy exchanges. A big right upper cut from Vasquez sent the crowd to their feet as Dailey wobbled to the corner. Victor unleashed a furious series of punches as Dailey fell back into the ropes with nothing coming back in return. Referee Hurley McCall immediately stepped in and appropriately called a halt at 2:05 of the final round.

“I had never fought a lefty before, even in sparring” said Vasquez afterword. “I just saw the left hooks were working and hurt him with a right uppercut. He was one tough guy and deserves a lot of credit.”

Both fighters then exchanged compliments and expressed that each fight for the love of the sport. The supreme efforts of both fighters left everybody satisfied.

Victor Vasquez jumps to (11-3, 6 KOs), while Gustavo Dailey falls to (4-8, 1 KO).

Evans Crushes Rungea!
In the four round co-feature of the evening, undefeated Philly featherweight prospect Coy Evans put on the best fight of his career, by scoring picture perfect second round knockout of wily veteran Vineash Rungea.

Evans, the victim of several bout fallouts, which continually stalled his career, weathered the storm of the wild swinging punching Rungea in the opening moments of the fight and countered with short straight combinations of his own. Vineash continued to throw his wild shots, but they began to get wider as he tired late in the opening round. Evans popped short right hands behind his stiff jabs and started to control the ring.

Rungea tried to trade with Evans in round two in an effort to turn the momentum of the fight. It would be his undoing though, as Coy seized the opportunity and uncorked a big right hand on the button, sending Vineash to the canvas. Rungea rose to his feet and tried to fight back while badly hurt. Coy attacked without mercy and put him face first to his hand and knees for the final time with a picture perfect straight right on the chin. Rungea tried to struggle to his feet again, but his corner men had seen enough and appropriately threw in the towel at 2:19 of round two.

The knockout, which was the first of Evans’ career, raised his record to (6-0-1, 1 KO). Vineash Rungea falls to (2-15-3).

Ferrante slips by Hemphill.
Undefeated Philly light heavyweight prospect Tony “Boom Boom” Ferrante looked rusty in his first fight of 2010, as he captured a six round split decision victory over upset minded Andre “Da Heat” Hemphill

You normally can throw out the records when two Philadelphians go to battle in the ring as pride takes over and this one was no exception. Andre Hemphill, who entered the ring with a record of 8-13-2, 5KO’s and on a two fight losing streak, but appeared in tip top shape, sporting a nice six pack on his muscular frame.

Ferrante knew it was important to take Hemphill’s confidence early and went right after him at the opening bell sounded and pushed him against the ropes with a heavy three punch combination. Just when it looked like Ferrante was taking over, a short counter left from Hemphill landed square on his chin and wobbled him. Tony Ferrante immediately moved to the far ropes and covered up. Hemphill dug a few hooks to the body, but “Boom Boom” clinched and recovered quickly before coming back in the closing moments with some nice combinations of his own.

Ferrante went to the body in round two, but it did not deter Hemphill who appeared to hold his own behind a stiff left jabs.

Rounds three through five were close as Ferrante threw some big hooks, Hemphill stayed inside of the shots though, which forced several clinches.

Ferrante seemed to tire in round five and began to telegraph his big right hands, allowing his opponent to land short combinations on the inside.

A tired Ferrante appeared to rock Hemphill in round six with a right hand on the button. He charged in, but too far, which smothered many of his own punches, and forced several clinches.

One judge had the bout 58-56 in favor Andre Hemphill but was overruled as the other two scored the bout 58-56 and a surprising 59-55 in favor of Ferrante for the split decision victory.

Ferrante, who remained undefeated at (9-0, 4 KOs) was at loss of words afterward. “I don’t know what to say. I had him hurt, but I just didn’t follow up on it.

One thing is for sure is that Ferrante is a warrior and you can expect him to learn from this experience and come back even harder and more prepared in his next fight. Ferrante is scheduled to return to this very same arena on February 26th on a card promoted by Andre Kut of KEA Boxing Promotions.

Speller overcomes Cook.
Super middleweight Tommie “Big Poppa” Speller had to pull out everything his arsenal to overcome a badly cut left eyelid and squeeze out a razor thin four round unanimous decision victory over Dave Cook.

The fight was a war as both fighters went toe to toe right from the opening bell with wild combinations. Speller threw the straighter shots, but Cook retaliated with heavy hooks in return.

Speller tired from the constant back and forth exchanges and fought with his back to the ropes throughout most of round two. Cook took advantage as he constantly popped Speller with heavy shots in the round. Speller’s corner begged him to get off the ropes during the exchanges. Both fighters were bleeding from their mouths as the round came to a close.

The fight changed momentum early in round three, as Speller began to circle and move forward, which prevented Cook from sitting down on most of his combinations. Speller opened up even though tired with several two and three punch combinations as he won most of the exchanges in round three. The round wasn’t without adversity though, as a short Cook counter right hand opened a cut on Speller’s left eyelid. Speller dug deep and seemed to be the busier fighter though dead tired.

The cut seemed to get larger and bled around the eye in round four as both fighters exchanged wild combinations in a back and forth final round that had the fans cheering until the final bell.

All three judges saw the bout 39-37 in favor of Tommie Speller who moves to (5-3, 3 KOs). Dave Cook falls to (3-4, 2 KOs).

The adversity that the thirty one year old Speller overcame in the ring is nothing compared to what he had to on the outside, having recently recovered from stomach cancer.

“I tired out a little bit in there and had to go back to the drawing board to pull out the victory,” said a joyous Speller afterward. Coming back from cancer, this just feels really good! I appreciate all my fans and it just feels great being back.”

Webster retires Walls!
Philly middleweight prospect Derek Webster remained with a one sided second round retirement of Antonio Walls in the one sided opening bout of the evening.

Walls of Washington DC had to give up several inches in height and appeared to be intimidated by the size advantage as he spent most of the opening round bending over while on the retreat to avoid getting hit flush with any sweeping hooks. Webster was not deterred though and methodically stalked Walls behind long right jabs from the southpaw stance.

A couple of counters in the closing seconds of the opening round seemed to give Walls some confidence and he began to open up more in the early seconds of round two. The aggressiveness left openings and Webster took advantage, stunning him in the with a short one-two combination. Walls looked hurt and clinched to gain time to recover. Referee Steve Smoger had to give Walls a stern for refusing to let go when he tried to break the clinch. Webster continued his assault as he shortened up his punches and put together a couple of nice two and three punch combinations throughout the final moments of the round.

Walls looked like a beaten man and quit in his corner between rounds forcing the Steve Smoger to wave off the fight.

Derek Webster of Glassboro, New Jersey ups his record to (4-0, 3 KOs), While Antonio Walls slides to (2-3).

    Help Support®

    For 18 years,® has delivered daily boxing news to fight fans around the globe. From the beginning, we have always kept Fightnews free to our readers and relied on advertiser support. Anyway, the Miami Herald, The Guardian, and Wikipedia among others have been using the “crowdfunding” revenue model, so we thought we’d test it too.

    Please consider helping out. You’re not obligated to, but even a $1 pledge would really help. And if we reach our goal, we plan to upgrade our server and maybe even nuke the ads altogether. Wouldn’t that be nice?

    world boxing association

    world boxing council

    boxing news tips

    philly boxing history

    All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
    The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.