At the opening cocktail party of the 47th annual WBC Convention in Jeju Island, South Korea, WBC president Jose Sulaiman is greeted by some of Korea’s legendary former champions. From left to right are Jung Koo Chang (WBC Light Fly), Chan Hee Park (WBC Fly), Sung Kil Moon (WBC Super Fly & WBA Bantam), Chul Ho Kim (WBC Super Fly) and Myung Woo Yuh (WBA Light Fly). The official opening ceremony will get underway Monday morning at 10 a.m. local time.
This morning the World Boxing Council President, Jose Sulaiman Chagnon, gathered with all WBC Board of Governors in a meeting that took longer than expected. The leader addressed several topics that will also be discussed throughout the Convention which will be opened tomorrow at 9.30 a.m.
The previously mentioned meeting was held before the working sessions of the 47th World Annual Convention are held. Approximately 500 people from several parts of the five continents are gathering on this cozy island located in the South of South Korea (Jeju), and many of the attendants have traveled all the way from their countries to arrive here.
Among other topics, it was talked about intensifying efforts, looking to make boxing be, once again, a sport as popular and appealing as it was in the past, including the possibility of getting help from the sports media.
– A new membership program was presented. Such program is being worked on, and thus it is expected to increase the number of WBC affiliate members.
– The implementation for sale of the new “WBC” energizing drink was accepted.
– The franchise of WBC Gyms was approved so that in the near future they are the stages for the preparation of at least many of the great stars of boxing.
– It was agreed to send wishes for a quick recovery to former referee Lou Filippo, who is currently hospitalized in Los Angeles due to a heart attack.
– The project to build a Rocky Marciano Statue was anonymously confirmed. Marciano, who was a Heavyweight world champion, has become an immortal American of Italian descent. The unveiling of the statue for the fans of the world is projected to take place in May 2010, in Brockton, Massachusetts, the great fighter´s hometown. Rocky remained unbeaten in the ring, having shaped a record of 49 wins in the same number of bouts, winning 46 by knockout and 3 by decision, in addition to the fact that Marciano was an idol not only in the United States, but also all over the planet. Thus, he will be remembered forever and his public effigy will be an act of full justice and recognition.