firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Rios stops Jimenez
- Bas Rutten to enter UFC Hall of Fame in July
- UFC 187 Post Fight Bonus Recap
- Verdejo to Hold Public Event in the Bronx
- Dominguez scores 2nd round stoppage of Macias
- Iwasa to meet Haskins for IBF interim bantam belt in the UK
- WBC #4 Rey Vargas still unbeaten
- UFC 187 Main: Cormier Takes 205-Pound Title, Calls For Jones Rematch
- Sanchez destroys Ramos in two
- Dirrell: No way I lost this fight
- UFC 187 Prelims: The Magician Reappears, Beats Makovsky
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
TeleFutura’s “Sólo Boxeo” returns to sunny Southern California on August 13 as promising up and comers Eloy Perez and Carlos Molina take on stern tests in featured bouts at the Pico Rivera Sports Arena in Pico Rivera, California. In the main event, unbeaten Perez (17-0, 4 KOs) battles veteran Derrick Campos (20-8, 11 KOs) in an eight round junior lightweight bout and in the co-feature, Molina (12-0, 6 KOs) risks his perfect pro record against Glenn Gonzales (7-1, 4 KOs) in an eight round junior welterweight battle.
Undefeated Jose “Chelo” Gonzalez of Toa Baja, Puerto Rico will take on fellow unbeaten Hector Marengo of Arecibo, Puerto Rico in the undercard of “Unification” the big boxing card that will be headline by Ivan Calderon and Geovani Segura on Saturday, August 28 from the Mario Morales Coliseum in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico.
Gonzalez (12-0, 7 KOs) who was the selected as the prospect of the year in 2010 by the Puerto Rican Boxing Commission is looking for his fourth win of the year. Marengo (5-0-4, 3 KOs) was a top national amateur boxer who has three straight draws. This will be his first fight in Puerto Rico in more then two years. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Looks like the fight for the vacant WBA interim middleweight world title between Gennady Golovkin and Milton Nuñez will be moved from Guadalajara, Mexico on August 7 to the Roberto Duran Arena in Panama City on August 14. The bout was transferred for unknown reasons to the card headlined by the rematch between WBA bantamweight champion Anselmo Moreno against former WBA interim champion Nehomar Cermeño in a mandatory fight. The card is presented by Promociones y Eventos del Istmo.
Photo by Bob Barton
Former world champion Andrei Kotelnik works out at the Sweat Pound 4 Pound Gymin St Louis in advance of Saturday’s showdown with unified world champion Devon Alexander. (more…)
Former #1 super lightweight contender Dmitriy Salita (30-1-1, 16 KOs) announced today that his next fight will be on September 1st at Oceana Hall in Brooklyn, New York. Dmitriy will be playing dual roles on September 1 as both fighter and promoter. “Oceana was the first venue that I fought in NY, I thought it would be great to come back to my neighborhood and do the first card as a promoter in my community,” he said. “I expect a great turn out…I am hungrier than I have ever been before and eager to fight and win.” The fight will be broadcast exclusively on The Jewish Channel. The September 1st roster includes lots of local talent including 4x Golden Glove Champion and current undefeated boxer Will Rozinskiy (12-0). Tickets are $60, $100, $150 available at dsalita.com or the Oceana Box Office.
NABF super featherweight champion Jason Litzau’s interview last week on Fightnews.com inspired USBA super featherweight champion Argenis Mendez to contact Fightnews. Mendez (17-1, 9 KOs) just came off of a unanimous decision win against veteran Shamir Reyes this past week and is looking forward to bigger and better fights. “If Litzau doesn’t have anyone to fight tell him to have Roy Jones contact DiBella and we can make this happen,” said Mendez. “He doesn’t have to wait around watching others fight when I’m right here and am ready to challenge him. We can put both of our titles on the line and see who comes out on top. That will leave the winner in a great position to fight for a world championship,” stated Mendez. “I don’t think there’s anyone at 130lbs. who can beat me. If Jason Litzau doesn’t have the heart to fight me I would gladly take on Jorge Linares or Robert Guerrero, both of whom failed to impress me.”
Story by Andreas Hale
Thiago Alves is like a caged animal ready to pounce on his prey. Unfortunately, “The Pitbull” has been outside of the cage watching due to a number of injuries that have kept him away from the action that he desires. But on August 7th at UFC 117, Thiago Alves will unleash his pent up frustration upon the man he has sought revenge on since his 2006 loss – Jon Fitch . . . Click here for more
Former three-time WBA world champion Wilfredo Vazquez hits the big “50” today. Fightnews.com, All Star Boxing, Inc and the Zabala Family would like to wish “Papa” Vazquez a very Happy Birthday. Wilfredo won three world titles in different division, all with the same organization, the WBA. He won the bantamweight, super bantamweight and featherweight world titles, retiring in 2002 after four straight wins. Currently he has guided his son Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. to win the WBO super bantamweight title, becoming the first father and son combination to win titles and the same weight division. Junior will soon announce his next title defense scheduled for October 16 at the Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmeee, FL.
Former world title challenger Giovanni Lorenzo will get another crack at the middleweight title as he heads to Cologne, Germany on Saturday, September 4th to battle WBA champion Felix Sturm. A native of San Cristobal, Dominican Republic, Lorenzo lost a very close, split decision to Sebastian Sylvester in Germany on September 19, 2009. He has fought twice since; scoring crushing knockout wins over Wilmer Gonzalez and Daryl Salmon.
Prior to the Salmon bout in June of this year, Lorenzo joined forces with Las Vegas based, rising promotional company, TKO Boxing Promotions. Sporting a record of 29-2-0 (21KO’s), Lorenzo spoke about the opportunity to fight for the world title against Sturm. (more…)
Last Friday night in Pomezia (Roma), Italy OPI 2000 (Salvatore and Christian Cherchi) staged a boxing show with five professional bouts. Two-time WBC interim middleweight title challenger Domenico Spada (31-3, 15 KOs) outpointed tough Hungarian Jozsef Matolcsi (26-12, 18 KOs) over eight rounds, super welterweight and former WBC interim middleweight title challenger Emanuele Della Rosa (24-1, 7 KOs) defeated Sandor Ramocsa (8-5, 4 KOs) on points over eight rounds, super lightweight and local hero Vittorio Oi (14-1-1, 3 KOs) decisioned veteran Laszlo Komjathi (35-29-2, 13 KOs) over six rounds, undefeated middleweight Emanuele Blandamura (12-0, 3 KOs) won an eight round decision over Robert Blazo (7- 1-2, 4 KOs) and finally cruiserweight Mirko Larghetti (8-0, 5 KOs) stopped Krisztian Jaksi (8-14-5, 1 KOs) in four rounds. Local TV Teleroma 56 televised the card in Italy.
Photos by Klitschko Management Group and Michael Kreft/BILD
IBF, WBO and IBO World Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko and challenger Samuel Peter of Nigeria attended a press conference today at the Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. Klitschko will defend his titles against Peter on September 11.
Wladimir Klitschko: “Peter is very experienced and a very good puncher. He has improved a lot in his last fights. I will be well prepared and definetely not underestimate him. I am happy to have a true opponent now and not somebody who just fights in his own dreams. Povetkin does not count anymore.”
Samuel Peter: “I do not want to say a lot today. I will let my fists speak on September 11. You will see a new Sam Peter!”
In Germany, the fight will be broadcast live and exclusively on RTL. ESPN will show the fight in the US. Tickets via www.eventim.de and the hotline +49- (0)1805-57 00 00. Prices start at 24 Euro. Click here for more photos…
Warner Promotions will present an August 20 boxing card at the Nautica Pavilion in Cleveland, Ohio featuring heavyweight Nick Firtha (18-7-1, 8 KOs) against Mike Sheppard (15-10-1, 8 KOs) in a ten rounder for the NABA U.S. and Ohio state belts. The co-feature is a six-rounder between unbeaten jr middleweight Dante Moore (6-0, 4 KOs) and Corey Rodriquez (4-1-1, 3 KOs).
Octagonside by Andreas Hale
Jones mops floor with “The Janitor” – Fight coverage: Jon “Bones” Jones has a knack for making everything look easy. The 23-year-old MMA wunderkind again justified his massive hype as he made short work of former IFL champion Vladimir Matyushenko and scored a first round TKO in the main event of UFC on Versus 2 in front of 8,132 inside the San Diego Sports Arena . . . Click here for more
Jones wants bigger names – Post-fight press conference report: Apparently, the Octagon is Jon “Bones” Jones world and everyone that ends up trapped inside his cage can, and will, be just another victim for Jones to test out his dazzling array of weapons. After turning in yet another virtuoso performance at UFC On Versus against Vladimir Matyushenko, Jones – as modestly as one can possibly put it – is asking the UFC to give him a bigger fish to fry because, quite frankly, this was just too easy . . . Click here for more
Story by Anthony Springer Jr.
Photos by Chris Cozzone
After going the distance in a loss to Floyd Mayweather in May, “Sugar” Shane Mosley (46-6, 39 KOs) will return to the Staples Center in Los Angeles to face Sergio Mora (22-1-1, 6 KOs) September 18.
If you’re one to believe in luck, tradition, or superstition, Mosley stands a great chance to get back into the win column. In two previous outings at Staples, the Pomona fighter logged two victories, defeating Oscar de la Hoya and Antonio Margarito. He’s also never been defeated in the state of California . . . Click here for more
Undefeated former amateur world champion Erislandy Lara (12-0, 7 KOs) and world amateur championships bronze medalist Yordanis Despaigne (6-0, 4 KOs) will make appearances in separate bouts on August 18 at the Monroe Civic Center in Monroe, Louisiana. Lara will face Willie Lee (17-6, 11 KOs) in a 10-round junior middleweight bout, while Despaigne will take on undefeated Frank Paines (11-0, 10 KOs) in a 10-round middleweight showdown where someone’s “0” must go. The card will be televised live on ESPN2’s Wednesday Night Fights. The undercard will feature light heavyweight Blake “Candyman” Prevost (13-1, 5 KOs),6’8 heavyweight Skip Scott (8-1, 5 KOs) and light welterweight champion Danny O’Connor (12-0, 3 KOs). Tickets will go on sale on Wednesday. Call 318.329.2338.
After Rendall Munroe met WBC world super bantamweight world champion Toshiaki Nishioka this weekend, he stated “I’m even more confident of beating him now.” He challenges for the Japanese star’s title at Tokyo’s Sumo Stadium on October 24. Munroe (21-1) and Nishioka (36-4-3) met at the WBC Night of Champions in Cardiff this weekend. And southpaw Munroe said: “We got on well and he seems a nice man, but I grew in confidence after seeing him. I’m convinced that world title is mine. It is always tough fighting away, but once I get in a rhythm my size and strength will cause him non-stop problems.” (more…)
By Brian Grammer
WBC and IBF jr welterweight champion Devon Alexander “The Great” arrived home Sunday afternoon at the Lambert International Airport in St. Louis to an enthusiastic crowd of family, fans and media. Alexander had been training in Las Vegas, NV in preparation of his Saturday, August 7th title defense against top contender Andreas Kotelnik in the main event of the Don King Productions “Gateway to Greatness” card. The champion, who was visibly moved by the reception, informed everyone that he was in top condition and ready to defend his titles. “I know that as the champion everyone is gunning for me and I have to be ready.” More to follow.
On August 28th, Spartan Fight Promotions will present a boxing card at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City with heavyweight Chazz Witherspoon (26-2, 18 KOs) battling veteran Livin Castillo (16-8, 10 KOs) in the ten round main event. Lightweight Jose Reyes (23-7, 8 KOs) will be featured in the co-feature. Also scheduled are super middleweight Joel De La Paz (5-0, 4 KOs), light heavyweight Lavarn “Baby Bowe” Harvell (5-0, 2 KOs) bantamweight Qa’id “Kid Dynamite” Muhammad (5-0, 5 KOs) and super middleweight Eugene Soto (2-0, 1 KO) in separate bouts. Tickets are $40, $65 and $90. Call 800-736-1420.
By Kurt Wolfheimer
Saturday night in the Sovereign Bank Stadium in York, PA, hometown lightweight prospect Carney “Beeper’ Bowman (15-0, 7 KOs) made his triumphant return with a foul plagued but impressive third round stoppage of late replacement Robert Acevedo (9-11-3, 1 KO) in the six round main event of the evening. Cruiserweight contender Andres “Taylor Made” Taylor also continued his winning ways when his opponent Adam Harris quit in his corner due to a shoulder injury. The seven bout card promoted by TKO Promotions also had some of the top local and regional fighters in action as well as two competitive amateur bouts. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Former world title challenger Robert Medley (29-3, 19 KOs) has issued a challenge to fellow Australian 154 pounder Ryan Waters (20-2-2, 12 KOs) and has stated he will fight him for no money just to get him in the ring. “Ryan Waters has said he is the best junior middleweight in Australia, but he will not fight me,” said Medley. “I am prepared to fight him for no money just to get him in the ring. My manager, Bill Treacy, offered Waters AUD $30,000 (USD $27,000) but he has rejected that offer.” (more…)
Boxing returns to Guadalajara, Mexico on August 20th with promoter Ramon Arellanos’ Arellano Promotions. The 48-year-old historic venue La Arena Jalisco will be the site of the event. The main event will feature Guadalajara’s own power punching Daniel Sandoval (15-1, 15 KOs) going after the vacant Pacific Coast welterweight title against Crispin Martinez. The 19-year-old Sandoval who has won all of his bouts by knockout looks to extend his KO streak . The co-feature will have former world title challenger Zaid Zaveleta (18-7-2) against an opponent to be announced. Five other entertaining fights will round out the undercard.
Octagonside by Andreas Hale
The hype surrounding Jon “Bones” Jones will continue to grow as the young prospect stopped opponent Vladimir Matyushenko just 1:52 into the first round. After scoring a swift takedown, Jones quickly mounted his opponent and unleashed a devastating flurry of elbows prompting referee Herb Dean to halt the contest.
A new middleweight contender has emerged as Yushin Okami defeated Mark Munoz via split decision. All three scorecards read the same, 29-28, twice in favor of Okami. (more…)
Marquez puts on masterful performance; Pirog upsets Jacobs; Guerrero, Linares beat Casamayor, Juarez: Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz picked up right where they left off for three rounds in the rematch of their 2009 “Fight of the Year” winner. After that, Marquez schooled the future law student on what the sweet science is all about.
Once again, Marquez got the best of Diaz, scoring a masterful 12-round unanimous decision to retain his WBA and WBO lightweight titles by utilizing sharp counterpunching and taking advantage of Diaz’ plodding straightforward style. With a pro-Marquez crowd of 8,383 in attendance at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, “Dinamita” erased last September’s loss to a larger Floyd Mayweather Jr. with a performance that was nothing short of brilliant . . . Click here for more
By Ron Jackson
Phumzile Matyhila upset the odds to win the South African bantamweight title when he beat Nkqubela Gwazela on a 12 round split decision at the Orient Theatre in East London on Sunday afternoon. Judges Allan Matakane and Andile Matika scored it 116-115 and 115-114 for Matyhila and judge Siya Vabaza had it 115-113 for Gwazela. (more…)
“When he’s ready to knock on my door, I’m right here,” says lineal lightweight champion Juan Manual Marquez, of pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.
“There’s no hiding. No running. I’m waiting for him.”
Last night, in front of 8,300 people at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Marquez (51-5-1, 37 KOs) defeated Juan Diaz (35-4, 17 KOs) for the second time, to secure his reign as lightweight king . . . . Click here for more
Photos: Ray Flores
A clash between unbeaten junior middleweights Alberto Herrera (7-0-1, 5 KOs) and Sammy Gonzalez (7-0-1, 3 KOs) ended to a six round draw on Saturday night at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, California. It was a toe-to-toe from start to finish. In the third round Herrera apparently injured his left hand and he seemed to have taken refuge in the blue corner and fought most of the fight from there. Gonzalez through vicious punches and rocked Herrera in the fourth and fifth rounds but Herrera battled back never giving an inch. The crowd were on their feet from start to finish. (more…)
Unbeaten lightweight prospect Mike Faragon (12-0, 6 KOs) demolished Eddie Soto (12-2, 4 KOs) in an impressive four round blowout Friday night on Pugnacious Promotions’ annual summer fight card at the Saratoga Springs City Center in Saratoga Springs, NY. Faragon dropped Soto in rounds one and three and the bout was finally halted in round four.
In the co-feature, Maureen “The Real Million Dollar Baby” Shea (15-2, 9 KOs) won the NABF female featherweight title with a third round stoppage of Liliana Martinez (8-11, 4 KOs). Shea landed a heavy left hook to the body that doubled over Martinez who soon turned away in pain, forcing the referee to stop the fight at the 1:18 mark.
Photos: Solomon Otoo Lartey
Promoter Mike Tetteh’s Goldenmike Boxing Promotions put on a solid fight card Saturday night in Accra, Ghana. The card was highlighted with two local fighters having career best victories.
Joshua Okine (20-4-1, 13 KOs) of Ghana derailed the combacking former 2000 Olympic Gold Medalist Muhammed Adullaev (20-4, 14 KOs) of Uzbekistan by way of 12 round unanimous decision to win the vacant World Professional Boxing Federation welterweight title. Judge Rojer Bannor had it 119-109, judge Emmanuel Brenya had it 119-108 and judge Ataa Addie Pappoe had it a complete shutout at 120-108.
Braimah Kamoko (20-0, 15 KOs) of Ghana won his biggest fight to date by stopping former world title challenger Hector Javier Velazco (37-9-1, 16 KOs) of Argentina in round 10 to win the vacant World Professional Boxing Federation light heavyweight title. Velazco has fought the likes of Juergen Braehmer, Arthur Abraham, and Felix Sturm who he unsuccessfully challenged for the world title. (more…)
Photos: Eroll Popova
The last Universum Champions Night televised on the ZDF network featured two world championship clashes and a European heavyweight title collision. WBC interim middleweight champion Sebastian Zbik took the last step before coming to America for a WBC-mandated world title showdown with world champion Sergio Martinez. WBA super middleweight champion Dimitri Sartison survived a firefight against Khoren Gevor with his title intact. And heavyweight contender Alexander Dimitrenko won the vacant European heavyweight championship with a dominating performance. Here’s what they had to say after the fights. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.