firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- On the Road Again: Jo Jo Dan in familiar situation
- Chico Rivas talks Kamil Laszczyk & Patryk Szymanski
- Falcao in LA Fight Club co-feature
- Japanese genius Tanaka aims to win WBO 105lb belt in 5th pro bout
- New Chocolatito, Sosa Quotes
- Cotto still evaluating possible opponents
- Martirosyan: I have to make sure Charlo fails the test
- Trout-Mundine Update
- Lozano vows homecoming KO on Telemundo Friday
- Help Get a Gravestone for Matthew Saad Muhammad
- Rosado, Stevens promise BKB knockouts
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Photos by Rafael Soto/Top Rank
World ranked and undefeated middleweight Julio César Chávez, Jr. (40-0-1, 30 KOs) arrived in Los Angeles today from his hometown Culiacan, Mexico to finish his preparation for his next bout. Chávez arrived around noon and set himself up in a downtown hotel and then made his way to the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles, where he worked with Freddie Roach for the first time. Chávez is getting ready to face John Duddy on Saturday, June 26 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas in the main event of “Latin Fury 15″, a big pay-per-view card promoted by Top Rank Inc. For more details and photos click here…
Unlike Saturday’s main event between Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and “Suga” Rashad Evans, there is no underlying “outside of the Octagon” storyline for the co-featured bout between middleweight standouts Michael “The Count” Bisping and Dan Miller . . . Click for more by Michael DiSanto, UFC
“The board called a special meeting today at 5PM and voted me off the board and out the presidency,” former IBF President Marian Muhammad informed Fightnews.com. “They said that there were improper payments to my family members. A lie. I had paid my grandson and my son to clean the office and do some other work – something I had every right to do as long as I did not obligate the IBF to more than 10K. They also said that officials assignments were not being made evenly. More bull crap because we have to go through commissions and recommend officials. In most all cases, the commissions pick who they choose to work the fights.” (more…)
By Karl Freitag
Veteran Nevada referee Jay Nady will be the third man in the ring when WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko (39-2, 37 KOs) defends against challenger Albert Sosnowskli (45-2-1, 27 KOs) on Saturday at Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. Judges will be Ken Morita (Japan), Hubert Minn (USA) and Sergio Silvi (Luxembourg). WBC Supervisor is Bob Logist.
“Fists Of Steel,” presented by K2 Promotions and Klitschko Management Group, is being distributed in North America by Integrated Sports Media for live viewing at 3 PM/ET – 12 PM/PT on both cable and satellite pay-per-view via iN Demand, DIRECTV, Avail-TVN and DISH Network in the United States, as well as Bell TV, Shaw PPV and Viewer’s Choice in Canada, for a suggested retail price of $24.95.
Photos by Universum
Unbeaten WBC interim middleweight champion Sebastian Zbik (29-0, 10 KOs) faced off off with challenger Khoren Gevor (31-4, 16 KOs) at a press conference to announce their July 17 world title clash in Schwerin, Germany. Zbik and Gevor previously trained together for five years under the guidance to legendary trainer Fritz Sdunek at the Universum Gym in Hamburg. However, Sdunek is now working exclusively with WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko, so both fighters now have different trainers.
Zbik is now fully trained by Artur Grigorian and will again be walking in the pawprints of Dariusz “Tiger” Michalczewski , setting up his training camp in Zakopane, Poland. Two-time world title challenger Gevor is now training under Dutchman Roland Germerts in Amsterdam. (more…)
Participants for the upcoming pay-per-view titled ‘Undefeated Champions’ gathered for their final presser today in Puerto Rico. The event will take place this Saturday, May 29th at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. PR Best Boxing (Iván and Peter Rivera) in association with All Star Boxing’s Félix ‘Tutico’ Zabala will promote. For more details and photos click here…
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Mexican ring legend Érik “El Terrible” Morales has declared that he’ll continue to be independent as as a boxer under the banner of his company Box Latino. However, Morales did confirm a business relationship with Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar De la Hoya that will consist of him offering his boxers for GBP cards as well as the possibility of fighting in some GBP-promoted mega boxing events in the USA or Mexico. “I am not with Golden Boy,” said Morales. “At this point in my career it doesn’t interest me to sign with any company. We are going to work together, but independently. It’s very different to work with Golden Boy, rather than for Golden Boy.” Morales’ next opponent is GBP prospect Vicente Escobedo on July 17 at the Estadio Caliente in Tijuana, Baja California.
Further changes at the IBF to report. “I was just voted off the board and out of the presidency by the IBF Board of Directors,” informs longtime IBF President Marian Muhammad. “Daryl Peoples, along with attorney Linda Torres and board member Aaron Kizer. I think that when the promoters and the membership find out how this all went down, they will pull away from the IBF. It was a lowdown, dirty coup because certain individuals that work in the IBF did not like Larry Hazzard, one of the most learned minds in the industry.”
If early ticket requests are any indication, a large crowd is expected for the Mike Jones vs. Irving Garcia fight Friday evening, July 9, at Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall. More than half of the top-priced $100 tickets have been sold since tickets went on sale Saturday morning, May 15. At stake in the scheduled 12-round contest will be Jones’ NABA and NABO titles. “Outside of (heavyweight contender) Tomasz Adamek, Mike Jones is the hottest attraction on the East Coast,” said Hall-of-Fame promoter J Russell Peltz. (more…)
Irish boxing manager Gary Hyde, who last December won a legal judgment in Miami to manage two-time Olympic champion Guillermo “The Jackal” Rigondeaux, recently received legal confirmation to continue managing the Cuban boxing star, effectively knocking out Hyde’s opposition for control of Rigondeaux’ pro boxing career. Defendants had sought reconsideration of the ruling and that was denied. Rigondeaux (5-0, 4 KOs), fighting as a super bantamweight out of Miami, defecting from Cuba, where he was a 7-time national champion. The 29-year-old southpaw also won multiple World Championships titles, as well as a gold medal at the 2003 Pan-Am Games, during his incredible 243-4 amateur career. (more…)
Undefeated WBA super welterweight champion and future rabbi Yuri Foreman (28-0, 8 KOs), trainer Joe Grier, Hall of Fame promoter and Brooklyn native Bob Arum and manager/New York restaurateur Murray Wilson were all onhand today for a media workout at the famous Gleason’s Gym in Brooklyn. Foreman, Israel’s first world champion boxer and the first orthodox Jew to win a world title in nearly 75 years, is in training for his first title defense, against three-time world champion Miguel Cotto (34-2, 27 KOs) at Yankee Stadium on June 5. Click here for more photos…
By Ricardo Conde
WBO featherweight champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez (28-0, 25 KOs) of Puerto Rico will step back into the ring on Saturday, July 10th to make his first title defense against Bernabe “The Real Deal” Concepcion (28-3-1, 15 KOs) of the Philippines at the Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico. Lopez vs. Concepcion “The Challenge” will be televised live on SHOWTIME and is being promoted by Top Rank, in association with PR Best Boxing. Tickets are on sale and are priced at $400, $200, $150, $75, $50 and $35 and are available at the Coliseo de Puerto Rico box office and thru Ticketpop by calling (787) 294-0001. We had a moment to sit down and talk to Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez as he prepares for his upcoming bout, here’s what he had to say… (more…)
When Allan Green (29-1, 20 KOs), faces Andre Ward (20-0, 13 KOs) on Saturday, June 19th for the World Boxing Association (WBA) title during Group Stage 2 of the Super Six World Boxing Classic on SHOWTIME® he certainly won’t lack in confidence. Green, 30, from Tulsa, Okla., has won six consecutive fights thanks to power in both fists, and says he wants to send a message to everyone in the tournament, starting with Ward.
“I respect Andre as a fighter,” Green said. “He’s very clever with good boxing skills and I’ve complimented his victory over Mikkel Kessler, but it’s not in his DNA to go deep in the waters and do battle like a real warrior. I’ve studied Andre’s fights long before I knew I was going to fight him in the tournament because he’s in my weight division. If you really watch his fights, he never goes blow-to-blow with another fighter. He will fight for 15-20 seconds with the jab, then he will grab, hold and push away. That’s the way he fights, and you can forget about him trying to do any inside fighting. He has a weak chin; I know it, he knows it, and everybody else knows it.” (more…)
Adding intrigue to Cory Spinks’ defense of his IBF junior middleweight crown in St. Louis on June 12 against IBF mandatory challenger Cornelius Bundrage is the fact that Bundrage will be trained for the first time by International Boxing Hall of Fame member Emanuel Steward while Spinks’ new trainer is former two-time world champion James “Buddy” McGirt.
Maybe the most interesting fact of all is that the globe-trotting Steward—who may be best known now for his longtime role as a boxing analyst for HBO Sports—will be making his first visit to the Gateway City. “Believe it or not, I’ve never stepped foot in the city other than making a connection at the airport,” Steward said. “The closest I’ve ever been to St. Louis is drinking a Bud Light, my favorite beer. I’m looking forward to seeing the Gateway Arch, which is something I have always wanted to see.” (more…)
Miguel Cotto and Oscar de la Hoya have joined forces to present Solo Boxeo Tecate in Puerto Rico. Former World Champion, Miguel Cotto announced today the strategic alliance with Oscar de la Hoya in order to move boxing forward in Puerto Rico to the next level. The alliance between Miguel Cotto Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions is already up and running. Their first “Solo Boxeo Tecate” show, aired by Telefutura, will take place on June 4th, in Juncos, Puerto Rico. “We know that this event will be a huge success”, emphasized Cotto. Powerful undefeated young talents will star in this event. The main events will be in charge of hot prospects Luis ‘El Artesano’ Cruz (13-0, 10 KO’s) and Jayson ‘La Maravilla’ Vélez (12-0, 10 KO’s). The next date in calendar is July 16th, in Cataño, Puerto Rico. (more…)
Former Notre Dame Boxing Captain and 2009 Chicago Golden Gloves Champion Mike Lee has wrapped up training in Houston, Texas and is headed to his highly anticipated pro debut this Saturday night at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago. Lee’s four round light heavyweight bout against Emmitt Woods is one of the feature bouts at the Chicago debut of TOP RANK LIVE, presented by Top Rank Incorporated and Chicago’s 8 Count Productions. The 22 year old Lee has been training with noted trainer Ronnie Shields since January in Houston. (more…)
UFC Undisputed 2010 Hits Stores Today: The next installment in the Undisputed series comes to Playstation® 3 and Xbox 360®
Rampage, Rashad, Carwin and More In New UFC Mag: Rampage discusses his return to the Octagon and the feud with Rashad Evans, plus an interview with Shane Carwin. On newsstands now!
UFC Fight Club Presale For Salt Lake City Begins Tomorrow: Join today for first access to tickets for the UFC’s first trip to Utah – featuring Jon Jones vs Vladimir Matyushenko, plus Yushin Okami vs Mark Munoz. Presale starts at 10am MST
Two Fightnews photographers made the line-up at this year’s Boxing Writers Association of America photo “Barney’s.” Ed Mulholland placed third in the feature category for a photo of Lucian Bute leaping in celebration while Chris Cozzone won an honorable mention for a shot of Manny Pacquiao. Cozzone also won an honorable mention in writing.
HBO photog Will Hart won first place in Feature for a shot of Juan Manual Lopez walking to the ring while Zanfer/Top Rank photog Rafael Soto picked up the top spot in Action for an uppercut thrown by Jose Luis Castillo.
South Florida promoter Jeff Gibson’s Elite Promotions will return on June 19 with an interesting card at the Deauville Beach Resort in Miami Beach. Headliners include jr middleweight Eromesele Albert (22-4-1, 10 KOs), jr middleweight Joey Hernandez (15-1-1, 8 KOs) and cruiserweight “Ding-A-Ling Man” Darnell Wilson (23-9-3, 20 KOs). Tickets are $100, $75 Ringside and $30 with ringside VIP tables also available. Call 561-629-6212.
Preview by Brady Crytzer
Following the completion of his “A-Team” remake, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has returned to the fistic fantasy world of the UFC to finally do battle with light heavyweight star “Sugar” Rashad Evans . . . Click here for more
By Karl Freitag
Although WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko (39-2, 37 KOs) is focused on defending his world title against Euro champion Albert Sosnowski (45-2-1, 27 KOs) on Saturday night, he also had a chilling message for WBA titleholder David Haye on Monday.
“I want to fight David Haye very much,” said Vitali. “Wladimir wants to fight against him also. I want to fight David Haye because he has the WBA world title. Wladimir wants to fight him because it’s personal. Wladimir says he’s not interested in his title. David Haye touched him so deeply that Wladimir wants to shut his mouth in the ring.
“David Haye understands the fact that the Klitschko brothers will be the end of his career,” he continued. “The fight against me will be much shorter than against Wladimir because Wladimir will beat him badly all twelve rounds and then knock him out. I will give him a much easier proposal. I’ll knock him out in three, maximum four rounds!” (more…)
By Nick Giongco
Manny Pacquiao is leaving for Los Angeles on June 1 with his family for a much-needed break and in time for his attendance in the Boxing Writers Association of America awards night at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York on June 4. Pacquiao, who is going to be discharged anytime Tuesday from the Cardinal Santos Memorial Hospital in San Juan, Metro Manila, is also gracing the June 5 bout between Miguel Cotto and Yuri Foreman at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. The boxing star had to be admitted early Sunday morning for severe stomach pain. Doctors later revealed that it was an recurrence of his acid reflux. The past few days, Pacquiao has received a steady stream of visitors, including former action star Philip Salvador and actor-turned-politician Dennis Roldan. Providing instant entertainment for Pacquiao and his friends is the champ’s adorable daughter Princess. Pacquiao’s people are working with the camp of Floyd Mayweather for a Nov. 13 fight.
Main Events and Super Judah promotions have announced they have entered into an agreement to co-promote former two-division world champion Zab “Super” Judah (38-6, 26 KO’s), who will return to the ring in mid-July, when he makes his first ever appearance at Newark’s Prudential Center. He has decided to go back down in weight and begin campaigning as a junior welterweight. The opponent, date and on sale info for Zab’s upcoming fight will be announced shortly.
By Christopher P. Cook
Former world title challenger Danny “The Bronx Bomber” Santiago (31-4-1, 19 KOs) defeated “The Billy Goat” William Bailey (10-7-0, 4 KOs) in a horse race of a match. Headlining One Punch Productions’ latest installment of their popular “Ballroom Brawl” series at the Tampa Westshore DoubleTree Hotel, Santiago showed both his age and ring experience in defeating the outmatched and unorthodox Bailey. After an exhilarating first round, the former title challenger kept the fight on the move, using the entire ring as his track to keep the forward fighting Bailey at a distance. (more…)
By Mark Vaz at Ringside
Photos by Emily Harney
Cheered on by 3,379 enthusiastic fans, the crowd-pleasing Peter “The Pride of Providence” Manfredo, Jr. captured the vacant IBO middleweight title with a tenth round stoppage over former world title challenger Angel “Toro” Hernandez of Chicago, IL this past Saturday at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. (More)
By Matt Richardson
Photos: Ed Mulholland
Former WBO heavyweight title-holder Shannon Briggs (50-5-1, 44 KO’s) continued his latest comeback Friday night at Capitale in New York City. Briggs easily beat the overmatched and apparently under motivated Dominique Alexander, knocking Alexander (19-9-1, 9 KO’s) out with two left hooks to the body just 20 seconds into the opening round. (More)
In just his first day of sparring sessions, triple world champion Jorge “Travieso” Arce (54-6-1, 41 KOs) was cut on his right eyebrow and according to the medical diagnosis it will be practically impossible for him to be ready to fight on June 26 in San Antonio, Texas against WBO bantamweight champion Eric Morel. During an exchange of blows with sparring partner Luis Jorge Lugo, Arce took a left hook and immediately started to bleed just below his right eyebrow and quickly stopped the action. Arce was preparing in the Montiel Gym in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico in preparation to challenge for a world title in a fourth weight division.
The 30-year-old Arce was checked by trainer Manuel Montiel, who temporarily stopped the bleeding. Arce went to see Dr. Ariel Baldenegro who diagnosed a cut three inches deep, which required stitches. He recommended rest for two to three weeks to fully heal the injury. (more…)
Welterweight Vitaliy Demyaneko (19-0, 12 KOs) notched up the eighth defense of his PABA title in Moscow Sunday when he stopped late replacement Walter Gomez (22-9-1, 11 KOs) in the second round. The fight was also a defense of Vitaliy’s WBA Asia Pacific title. Demyaneko was originally slated to face WBO #15 Sam Columban who couldn’t make the fight due to visa delays getting into Russia. This fight will now take place either in the USA or Australia later in the year said Ring Stars spokesperson Anna Fedorova. “We have him now rated WBO #5, WBA #10 and WBC #9 and intend to fight at least two more times before the year is out. Our team matchmaker Stuart Duncan is confident he can put the Columban fight back on another date and if Zab Judah ever re-surfaces I know this is who Vitaliy and his trainer want badly.” (more…)
Story by Anthony Springer Jr.
Dana White is never at a loss for words. If there’s one thing fans and the media can count on, it’s hearing White’s truth, uncensored. If you knew nothing about mixed martial arts, White’s take on UFC 114’s headlining bout between Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and “Suga” Rashad Evans signals that he, like the rest of the world is expecting a war . . . Click here for more
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.