firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Interview: Jarrod Fletcher
- Championship boxing returns to Toronto
- Neil Magny on the Drive for Five at UFC 179
- Yamanaka to defend WBC 118lb belt against #1 Suriyan tomorrow
- Oscar honors vow to end cold war
- Interview: Daniel Geale
- Boxing coming to Westbury, NY on Nov 13
- Boxing Buzz
- Vargas featured Saturday in Toronto
- Goossen Promotions returns Nov 20
- Bradley, Herrera, Benavidez Quick Quotes
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBA regular light flyweight world champion Juan Carlos Reveco was scheduled to defend his world crown for the third time against WBA minimumweight champion Roman Gonzalez on October 24, but that fight must now be rescheduled after Reveco was found to have kidney stones. Reveco (25-1-0, 15 KOs) was planning to travel next Sunday to Tokyo, but during a gym session with trainer Diego Giménez and teammate Jonathan Barros he suffered severe pain in his back and had to seek immediate help.
On October 29, WBA #3/IBF #5/WBO #6 light heavyweight Aleksy Kuziemski (19-1, 4 KOs) of the Universum stable faces #13 rated Dmitri Sukhotsky (15-1, 10 KOs) in a meaningful 175lb clash at the Yubileiny Sports Palace in Saint Petersburg, Russia. Both the WBO Intercontinental and EBA belts are on the line in a bout that will position the winner for another title shot and set the loser back in the pack. Both suffered their only losses in 2009 world title challenges against WBO champion Jürgen Brähmer.
“I know what I did wrong against Jürgen,” said Kuziemsky. “Since then I’ve improved working with my trainer Artur Grigorian.” He is training in Hamburg’s Universum Gym.
Following recent speculation in the press regarding a possible clash between Irish Middleweight rivals Andy Lee and John Duddy, promoter Brian Peters says he would like to set the record straight on his recent efforts to make the much talked about all-Irish fight. There has been increasing rumblings in the media about the possibility of both men getting it on but Peters has revealed that a recent written offer to both camps was rejected. “I have the greatest of respect for both Andy and John and have always worked very well with them in the past but I believe it’s important that a recent offer made to them is put on the record,” said Peters. (more…)
By Ricardo Conde
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
WBC Silver middleweight champion “The Son of the Legend” Julio César Chávez Jr. (41-0-1, 30 KOs) of Culiacan, Mexico and fellow countryman Alfonso Gomez (22-4-2, 11 KOs) of Guadalajara, Mexico, famed for season one of “The Contender” reality show, met Monday in a press conference at the Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles, CA to announce their middleweight world championship fight that will take place on December 4th at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA.
Top Rank chief, Bob Arum was on hand to introduce the fighters. “I think its one of the best boxing cards of the year. Every fight will be a good, exciting fight.” said Arum. “We’re expecting a tremendous attendance on December 4th and as far as the telecast itself, there will only be top fights with experienced, well known fighters.” continued Arum. (more…)
After establishing himself in “America’s Finest City”, San Diego, CA, nearly three years ago from his hometown of Mandaue City, Cebu, PI, unbeaten WBO Youth lightweight champion Mercito “No Mercy” Gesta (19-0-1, 9KOs) has made himself feel right at home in the seaside city. Within the large Filipino population, the 22-year-old Gesta has found a built-in audience for his quick as lighting southpaw style which is ready to support him on October 22nd when he takes on his stiffest test to date, KO artist Ivan “Relampago” Valle (28-9-3, 24KO) at the Four Points Sheraton in Kearny Mesa, a suburb of San Diego. The eight round main event will be televised on Telefutura’s “Solo Boxeo Tecate”. Recently, Gesta was honored as one of the special guest at this year’s Fi-Am Festival which celebates Filipino heritage and their contribution to the San Diego community. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
IBO welterweight champion Lovemore Ndou (48-11-2, 31 KOs) is confident he will defeat Saul Alvarez (33-0-1, 26 KOs) of Mexico when they clash on December 4 at Xcaret, Quintana Roo, Mexico. Ndou recently defended the IBO title with a twelve round decision over Bongani Mwelasi (14-1, 12 KOs) in Gauteng, South Africa on September 18 and says this fight was a good warm up bout for the showdown against the highly regarded Alvarez. “I’ve seen Saul Alvarez fights against Jose Cotto and Carlos Baldomir and I see he does make mistakes in the ring,” said Ndou. “Against Cotto he was in trouble himself early in the fight and was nearly stopped but came back to win in round six.” Ndou added, “When I get him in trouble I will not let him off the hook. I gave Miguel Cotto a good fight and he’s a much tougher boxer than Jose Cotto. Alvarez win over Baldomir was predictable. I sparred Baldomir recently and I know he’s a shot fighter. I know Alvarez is looking for a win over a veteran but I want him to know he has picked on the wrong veteran. I am going to kick his ass. I must thank my boxing agent Mike Marchionte for getting me the fight against Alvarez.” Ndou won the IBF jr welterweight title in 2007 and captured the IBO welterweight title in 2009.
With the baddest man on the planet, Brock Lesnar, set to defend his Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®) heavyweight title against Cain Velasquez, UFC 121: LESNAR vs. VELASQUEZ, which is presented by Boost Mobile and live on Pay-Per-View on October 23rd at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California, will also feature a number of top up-and-comers and experienced veterans. To bolster the return to Anaheim, the UFC confirms that the remaining bouts at UFC 121 include the following: Court McGee vs. Ryan Jensen, Patrick Cote vs. Tom Lawlor, Mike Guymon vs. Daniel Roberts, Sam Stout vs. Paul Taylor, Chris Camozzi vs. Dongi Yang and Jon Madsen vs. Gilbert Yvel. (more…)
Two of The Ultimate Fighter’s® most celebrated alumni, Stephan Bonnar and Kendall Grove, will be featured in separate co-featured fights in the live finale of Spike TV’s The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck on Saturday, December 4 at 9:00pm ET/PT. Emanating from The Pearl at The Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Bonnar (Season 1) takes on Croatian contender Igor Pokrajac while Grove (Season 3) battles one of the top middleweights in the division, Demian Maia. (more…)
Photos by Universal Promotions, Inc.
Today, at the Guaynabo Sports Museum, was held the press conference, announcing the rematch between Fernando Torres and WBA America’s lightweight champion Carlos Claudio. The first bout took place exactly one year ago as Claudio delivered Torres his first pro loss when the fight was stopped on an accidental head-butt in the middle of the 9 round. The co-main bout will feature knockout sensation Jonathan “Mantequilla” Gonzalez, who will put his undefeated record on the line against hard punching warrior Joseph de los Santos. This 2008 Olympian has a 9-0 record, all wins by knockout. This event will be held at the Guayama Convention Center on October 29, 2010. Guayama mayor, Glorimari Jaime Rodriguez expressed her commitment on making this event possible, the first ever professional boxing event on her city. The official pre-weight ceremony also took place as Torres weighted 154 pounds and Claudio made 155 pounds.
By Ricardo Conde
Photos by Big Joe Miranda
Top Rank hosted a press conference Monday at the Biltmore Hotel to kickoff the December 4th “In Harm’s Way” PPV event featuring Julio Cesar Chavez Jr versus Alfonso Gomez.
Bob Arum: “December 4th will be the first time in 2 years that Top Rank will be doing a show in California. Every fight on the card will be a great, exciting fight.”
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr: “I have followed Alfonso’s career and I know he’s a great fighter with a lot of heart. Alfonso was my favorite fighter on the “Contender” show and I was rooting for him to win. The real winners on the night of the fight are going to be the fans.”
Alfonso Gomez: “Everyone knows that when I’m in a fight I go to entertain and most important to win. I will win this fight.”
Nonito Donaire: “The Honda Center is going to be filled with fireworks on Dec. 4th.”
Brandon Rios: “I had a great fight on Sept. 11th and I’m ready to put on another great show Dec. 4th.”
Click here for more photos…
By Rick Scharmberg
Newly-minted IBF junior middleweight champion Cornelius “K-9” Bundrage (30-4, 18 KOs), of Detroit, Michigan has informed Fightnews.com that he would like nothing more than to challenge none other than the Golden Boy himself, Oscar De La Hoya. Oscar has been retired since April 15, 2009, and has not fought since his December 6, 2008 loss to Manny Pacquiao. “This would be a great comeback fight for him. It is a chance for him to go out on top, and who is better than to go out against a champion?” stated Bundrage. (more…)
Augmenting its roster of New England boxers, DiBella Entertainment has inked unbeaten lightweight prospect Ryan “The Polish Prince” Kielczewski (8-0, 2 KOs). Kielczewski, 21, of Quincy, MA, joins middleweight contender Peter Manfredo, Jr., of Providence, RI, and super middleweight prospect Edwin Rodriguez, of Worcester, MA. “Ryan is an exciting young fighter with an all-star group behind him,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “His combination of character, looks, and legitimate ability made him a priority to sign.” Kielczewski will likely make his official DiBella Entertainment debut in November.
Roy Englebrecht, CEO of Roy Englebrecht Promotions and Roy Englebrecht Events announced today that Carlos Downey and Mel Valenzuela have joined his staff as assistant matchmakers and that they will immediately report to Whit Haydon Director of Fighter Relations & Matchmaker for Englebrecht’s companies. (more…)
Photos and report by Ricardo Conde
NABO super featherweight champion Eloy “The Prince” Perez (18-0-2, 5 KOs) of Salinas, CA, trained by Max Garcia at the Robert Garcia Boxing Academy, continues his preparations in Oxnard, CA for his return to the ring and defense of this title on Friday, October 15th against Dominic Salcido (18-2, 9 KOs) of Rialto, CA at the Fantasy Springs Resort and Casino in Indio, CA. Perez vs. Salcido is scheduled for a 10-round super featherweight bout and is being presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Thompson Boxing Promotions and will be broadcast live in the main event on TeleFutura’s “Sólo Boxeo Tecate”. Also in action will be Charles Huerta, Randy Caballero, undefeated heavyweights Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell and 2004 Olympic Bronze Medalist Deontay Wilder and just added junior welterweight prospect Frankie Gomez, in separate bouts. Tickets are priced at $25, $35 and $45 and will be available at the Fantasy Springs Box Office, by phone at (800) 827-2946 or online at www.FantasySprings.net. In his last outing Perez defeated Derrick Campos (20-9, 11 KOs) this past August at the Sports Arena in Pico Rivera, CA via 5th round TKO. Click here for more photos…
Hot junior welterweight prospect Frankie Gomez (6-0, 6 KOs) has been added to the October 15 Golden Boy event at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California. The 18-year-old Gomez will take on an opponent to be named in a six round co-feature, which will be televised on TeleFutura’s “Sólo Boxeo Tecate.” The main event features unbeaten Eloy Perez against Dominic Salcido in a ten round NABO junior lightweight title contest.
By Francisco Salazar
Photos by Tom Casino/SHOWTIME
Not much live boxing this week, but if you’re in the mood to see some exciting ring action, be sure to catch a replay of SHOWTIME’s knockout-filled ShoBox card from last Friday night, which will be available On Demand beginning Wednesday, Oct. 6 and ending Tuesday, Oct. 19. Click here for a full report of the night’s action.
By Francisco Salazar
Lightweight contender Brandon Rios has an opponent on Saturday, December 4th. However, it is not against a world title holder as was originally planned. Rios’ manager, Cameron Dunkin, told Fightnews.com that veteran Noe Bolanos (21-5-1, 13 KOs) will be the man opposite of Rios in a 10 round bout at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA. The bout is part of a pay per view card, presented by Top Rank. In the main event, unbeaten Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. will take on Alfonso Gomez in a 12 round bout.
Rios (25-0-1, 18 KOs) is coming off an impressive seven round disqualification victory over Anthony Peterson last month in Las Vegas. Rios was well ahead on the scorecards as the bout was stopped because of repeated low blows by Peterson. (more…)
Photos and report by Oliver Dütschler
Unbeaten WBC Youth World lightweight champion Gabor Veto (20-0, 15 KOs) scored a first round KO over to take the vacant Central African & Eastern belt against Rajabu Maoja (16-8-3, 5 KOs) on Saturday night at the Toy Market in Kibera’s dangerous slums area of Nairobi, Kenya. Veto put Maoja on the deck in round one an finished him with a right straight at 0:31 of round one.
Former four-time world heavyweight champion and 1984 light heavyweight silver medalist Evander Holyfield meets Chinese 2008 super heavyweight silver medalist Zhang Zhilei at The Capitale in New York City.
After two wins in 15 days in the Chicago area, WBA #9 middleweight Andy Lee (24-1, 18 KOs) is now gunning for an all Irish showdown with WBC #9 John Duddy in Ireland or New York. While the Duddy camp says Lee is just one of their options and mentioned ex-champ Yuri Foreman as another possibility, Lee’s manager Emanuel Steward says he has has been in contact with Craig Hamilton, Duddy’s manager and both are on the same page. “I am very excited about trying to make the fight,” Steward commented. (more…)
By Mariano A. Agmi
Photos: Marty Rosengarten/RingsidePhotos.com
On Wednesday, October 6th, junior welterweight New Yorican Gabriel “Tito” Bracero (11-0, 1 KO) headlines DiBella Entertainment’s “Broadway Boxing” at the BB King’s Blues Club in Times Square, NYC.
The Sunset Park, Brooklyn native returns from his most impressive performance to date, a four round thrashing of Ray Betancourt for his first career KO to face Terry Buterbagh, who returns to NYC following an upset of New Yorker Tommy Rainone at Yankee Stadium in June. (more…)
By Nick Giongco
Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and his Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum are holding a media day at 1 p.m. on Oct. 18 in the Filipino fighter’s high-altitude training camp in Baguio City in the Philippines. “It should be a huge event,” said Arum from Los Angeles on Monday afternoon (Sunday night in the US). Pacquiao is currently in the thick of training in the Philippines’ summer capital that is five-to-six hours from Manila by land for a Nov. 13 showdown with Antonio Margarito at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Baguio City has an elevation of more than 5,000 feet and is conducive to training owing to its cool climate and rugged terrain.
Arum said he will be joined by Mexican promoter Fernando Beltran, who is bringing in a couple of Mexican mediamen in the trip. “I am very excited to be there and see Manny, the rest of the team and the Filipino boxing fans,” added Arum, who arrives in Manila on Oct. 16. Taskmaster Freddie Roach and ace conditioning coach Alex Ariza would also be available for interviews. Pacquiao will train six days a week at the Shape Up Boxing Gym inside the Cooyeesan Hotel in Baguio City until the third week of October.
Ringside Report by Billy “Loops” Luppert and Scott Ploof
Photos: Ray Bailey
One would think a change of opponents 48 hours prior to fight time could have one scurrying to change game plans, especially given the different styles of the opponents. Not for Joey “KO Kid” Spina. To Spina (26-1-2, 18 KOs), it doesn’t matter who you put in front of him, his game plan is always the same. Knock him out. That plan certainly worked Saturday night at Foxwoods Resort Casino, as Spina easily dispatched last minute replacement, and former world title challenger Antwan Echols (32-15-4, 28 KOs) 49 seconds into round three. The eight bout fight card was promoted by Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment and Sports. Click here for the entire ringside report.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBA interim super lightweight champion Marcos “El Chino” Maidana will be headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada as he prepares for his showdown on December 11 with the WBA super lightweight world champion Amir Khan at the Mandalay Bay. Maidana will be accompanied from Argentina by trainer Cristian Rodríguez and advisor Sebastián Contursi, and will also work with trainer Miguel Diaz and maybe a physical trainer. Meanwhile Khan will open training camp at the famed Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, California.
By Jacob Chavez at ringside
Photos by John Booz
Rising star Andy Lee (25-1-0, 19 KOs) of the middleweight division stayed active with an annihilation of Troy Lowry (27-12-0, 11 Kos) Saturday night at the Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, IN., just 15 days after scoring a TKO over Michael Walker. This victory secures a proposed meeting against fellow Irishmen, John Duddy at Madison Square Garden in December. In Lee’s corner was Legendary trainer Emanuel Steward and IBF Junior Middleweight champ, Cornelius “K9” Bundrage. The fights were promoted by Bobby Hitz, who also celebrated his birthday before the cheering of the entire crowd. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.