email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Abril gunning for Mathews KO
- Godoy: Heiland, Baldomir wins mean Ryder no problem
- Estrella and Muciño ready to return
- Juan Manuel Marquez Update
- Zab Judah Hints at Deal With Roc Nation
- Anderson Silva Gives His Take on Jon Jones
- Boxing Buzz
- Weights from San Antonio, Texas
- Witherspoon-Phelps Full Report
- Win tickets to see Floyd Mayweather Down Under
- Marsili still unbeaten, keeps EBU title
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Tuesday afternoon, IBF #2 junior featherweight Steve Molitor (31-1, 12 KOs) spoke to the media during an open workout in preparation for his battle with IBF #1 ranked Takalani “The Panther” Ndlovu (30-5, 18 KOs) for the vacant IBF junior featherweight world title, in the main event of Rumble at Rama XI on Saturday at Casino Rama, in Rama, Ontario. “I’ve had a great camp, and brought in some great sparring partners,” said Molitor. “I’m healthier and stronger than ever heading into a fight. And given the fact that I’ve already smacked him around the ring once, I know what to expect out of him. Come Saturday night I’m going to reclaim my title.” (more…)
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
It was a shock last week when it was announced that the second leg of former world champion Eric Lucas comeback would be against Librado Andrade. The hard hitting Mexican warrior makes his fifth trip to Quebec to battle the 38 year-old Lucas who returned last December after a four year absence from the ring and is now looking for his 40th win. Fightnews sat down with Lucas’s longtime trainer Stephane Larouche and basically asked, why? Why a legitimate top-ten fighter for a fighter that has been out of action for so long? (more…)
Former WBA lightweight champion Jose “Jicaras” Alfaro has already defeated two world champions, Prawet Singwancha and DeMarcus Corley, and the Nicaraguan knockout specialist plans to add 3-division world champion Erik “El Terrible” Morales to his hit list Saturday night in “The Champion Returns” pay-per-view event, live from Monterrey, Mexico . . . . Continued
Andre Dirrell is supremely confident in advance of Saturday’s SUPER SIX clash against Arthur Abraham in Detroit. “Abraham’s arms are too short, he can’t box, I’ll hand him his first defeat,” proclaimed Dirrell to BILD. “The 20,000 fans at Joe Louis Arena will be pushing me, my 30-member family will b there, and the millions of TV sets will see me win. I’m fast as lightning, dance like Muhammad Ali and constantly change angles so I’ll confuse Abraham….On 24 April I’m getting married. My gift to her is Abraham’s head!”
By Ricardo Conde
In the main event, on Saturday March 27th, WBA # 2 junior welterweight contender Victor “Mermelada” Cayo (24-0, 16 KOs) of the Dominican Republic will face Argentina’s Marcos “El Chino” Maidana (27-1, 26 KOs) for the interim WBA junior welterweight title at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, NV. In the co-feature bout, Ali “Rush Hour” Funeka (30-2-3, 25 KOs) will take on two division world champ Joan Guzman (29-0-1, 17 KOs) for the vacant IBF lightweight title, which will be shown live on HBO B.A.D. (Boxing After Dark). Tickets are priced at $200, $100 and $50 and can be purchased at the Hard Rock Hotel Box Office, all Ticketmaster locations, online at www.ticketmaster.com or by calling 800-745-3000. Click here for more photos…
Story by Anthony Springer, Jr.
When the history books are written, career defining moments determine whether or not an athlete goes down in fame or down in flames. If 2004 had been the end of Frank Mir’s (13-4) career, history would’ve without a doubt relegated the Las Vegan to the latter category . . . Click here for more
The Arthur Abraham camp is up in arms over the notion of three Michigan judges scoring King Arthur’s SUPER SIX fight against Andre Dirrell. Hall of Fame promoter Wilfried Sauerland told BILD, “Dirrell lives in Michigan. It’s unacceptable that the judges and the referee should also come from Michigan. I reject that.” Abraham trainer Uli Wegner stated that Abraham must win by KO to take it out of the hands of the judges.
No Friday Night Fights telecast this week on ESPN2 after Matt Godfrey pulled out of his IBF title fight against Steve Cunningham.
Quote of the Day: “I want it so badly and really I want Roy to be able to remember this beating I am about to give him for making me wait so long. But now the wait is over, I am going old school and back to the days of the Executioner. He delayed it too long but his days are now over, the Governor has spoken and April 3 will be the day.” –Bernard Hopkins
Marco “Captain” Huck (28-1, 21 KOs) will return to the ring on May 1 when he defends his WBO Cruiserweight Title against Brian “The Beast” Minto (34-3, 21 KOs) in Oldenburg. Huck comes off a spectacular third-round TKO victory over Adam Richards in Berlin. He is currently in the Unites States and will attend King Arthur Abraham´s Super Six World Boxing Classic clash with Andre Dirrell in Detroit this Saturday. “After taking care of business against Richards, I am not looking to put aside Minto,” Huck said. “He is a strong guy but there is no way he will defeat me.” Huck boasts a fearsome KO ratio of 75 percent. “Minto is tough, so I will be prepared for 12 hard rounds, but everybody knows that I love to please my fans and give them a knock-out win,” he added. “It is my goal to beat him clearly.” Minto came to fame in Germany when he spoiled former heavyweight contender Axel Schulz´ hyped comeback with a sixth-round TKO victory in October 2006.
WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto (25-0, 19 KOs) says he won’t be taking challenger Carlos Quintana (27-2-0, 21 KOs) for granted when he returns to the ring for the first time in eleven months on April 10th at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. Berto was scheduled to face WBA champ “Sugar” Shane Mosley in January 2010, but the earthquake in Haiti forced him to withdraw from that bout (Berto tragically lost eight family members in the disaster). “He’s a tough veteran,” Berto said of Quintana. “If you give him too much room or a little too much confidence he will take advantage of that. You have to impose your dominance early. I’m in a tough situation. Realistically I train hardest when a lot of people expect me to win. He’s a spoiler and he did the same with Paul Williams and I have to make sure I stay sharp and do a good job and dispose of him.”
The co-feature will showcase WBA junior featherweight champion Celestino Caballero (33-2, 23 KOs), who will be moving up to take on unbeaten WBA #2 contender Daud Yordan (25-0, 19 KOs) in a non-title featherweight affair. Two time Olympic gold medalist from Cuba, Guillermo Rigondeaux (5-0, 4 KOs) will also appear on the undercard.
The event is billed as “Fighting For Haiti” and a portion of the proceeds will go to the Berto Dynasty Foundation to help aide those affected by the deadly Haitian temblor.
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
WBO #3 David Tua (50-3-1, 43 KOs) is ready for Friday “The 13th” Ahunanya (24-5-3, 13 KOs), who has arrived in Auckland, New Zealand for their March 31st showdown at the Trusts Stadium. Ahunanya is well known to New Zealand fight fans having scored twelfth round stoppage over Kiwi Shane Cameron in 2007. The Las Vegas-based Nigerian scored a ten round decision over Alonzo Butler in his last ring appearance in 2008. Tua stopped Cameron in two rounds in October 2009 in his last ring appearance. The show will be promoted by Cedric Kushner and David Higgins of Duco Events. For more details and photos click here…
By Rick Scharmberg
Former Contender Season 1 reality star Ahmed “Baby Face” Kaddour (21-2-1, 9 KOs) returns to the ring this Friday, March 26, to take on Jerome “Boomer” Ellis (12-10-2, 10 KOs) in the eight-round junior middleweight main event at The Hamilton Manor in Hamilton, New Jersey. Kaddour, born in Lebanon, a citizen of Denmark, and now residing in Trenton, New Jersey, took part in the original Contender series in 2004. “A lot has happened to me. I’ve had a lot of chances, but it was difficult,” said Kaddour. “It was hard to say no to the temptations and I was thrown off. I got myself together now. I went to Europe and Lebanon, and with the help of my family I got my hunger back.” (more…)
Unbeaten Mike Jones, of Philadelphia, PA, and Hector Munoz, of Albuquerque, NM, will be fighting for two championship belts when they collide in a scheduled 10-round welterweight contest on Saturday evening, April 17, at in the 10,000-seat Boardwalk Hall. Not only will Jones’ North American Boxing Association (NABA) title be at stake, but the North American Boxing Organization (NABO) also will recognize the winner as its champion. The NABO championship currently is vacant. (more…)
Story & photos by David Greene
Professional boxer Frankie Figueroa returned to his old school in the Allerton section, where he spent the day speaking with youngsters and recalling his own struggles as a teenager growing up in the Bronx.
Nicknamed, “El Gato,” or “The Cat,” Figueroa returned to the Aspire Middle School on Wallace Avenue, where he spoke to the youngsters, signed autographs and posed for pictures with students and staff . . . Click here for more
Preview by Brady Crytzer
It seems like a story line worthy of any Hollywood Mega-Epic. Frank Mir, driven mad by thoughts of revenge, twisting his mind into frenzy as he obsesses over a rematch with Brock Lesnar.
Across the world is Shane Carwin, preparing for a showdown with Lesnar in November of 2009. After the bout was cancelled, Carwin became a caged beast held in captivity until March just waiting to be unleashed . . . Click here for more
Two-time WBA heavyweight champion John “The Quietman” Ruiz has been working hard in his Las Vegas training camp since mid-January in preparation for his April 3 showdown against new WBA World Champion David “Hayemaker” Haye at MEN Arena in Manchester, England. WBA #1 contender Ruiz (44-8-1, 30 KOs) will be fighting in his 12th world title fight. During this training camp, he has been sparring with fighters that resemble the quick, hard-punching Haye. “Everything has been great throughout training camp,” Ruiz reported. “This camp will be the longest I’ve ever trained for a fight. I took a little time-off after my last fight (Nov. 7 vs. Adnan Serin – WTKO7 – in Germany), started running and exercising right after that, and then I went right back into the gym. I’m going to be ready April 3rd for Haye.” (more…)
Rivals Rampage and Rashad Collide At UFC® 114: The former champions will meet in the Octagon on Saturday, May 29 in Las Vegas – tickets on sale this Thursday
UFC® Primetime Part 3 Premieres Tomorrow Night on Spike: The last stop before Georges St-Pierre and Dan Hardy collide this Saturday night in New Jersey
UFC® Fight Club Presale Begins Today For VIP Fan Expo Packages: Starts Tuesday, March 23 at 10am PT – Join today for first access to tickets. Only 535 packages are available, so get them while they last!
This coming Friday former world champion Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham was slated to face Matt ‘Too Smooth’ Godfrey for the vacant IBF cruiserweight crown. However, following a change of date and location, with just over a week to go before the fight promoter Don King announced that the fight would be postponed again due to a contract dispute between himself and ESPN. The IBF offered the fight to Kathy Duva’s Main Events, who moved quickly and placed the bout on Chicago promoter Dominic Pesoli’s card on Friday. However, following what has been described by Godfrey’s trainer, John Scully, as a ‘miscommunication’ between Godfrey and his promoter, Jimmy Burchfield, the fight is now seemingly in doubt again. (more…)
By Francisco Salazar
Welterweight Alan Sanchez did not allow less than a week’s notice or being down on the judges’ scorecards get to him. Instead, it was through dedication in the gym and perseverance that 19-year-old Sanchez weathered through his opponent’s offense to come out victorious. Sanchez stopped previously unbeaten Alberto Morales in the fifth round of a scheduled six round bout before about 400 at the Doubletree Hotel on Saturday night in Orange, CA. (more…)
By Alexey Sukachev
In a Saturday shocker, EBU-EE heavyweight titlist Maxim Maslov (10-1-1, 7 KOs) disappointed his handlers from Jab Promotion (St. Petersburg-based company led by Vitaly Supichenko and Alexander Yagupov) by losing his title via a sixth-round kayo to fairly unknown Ukrainian Yaroslav Zavorotny (14-4, 12 KOs). Zavorotny, however, was ahead on all the judges’ scorecards (Esa Lehtosaari: 48-47, Mikael Hook: 48-47 and Leszek Jankowiak: 50-45) at the time of stoppage. (more…)
According to Golden Boy Promotions, junior welterweight Lucas Matthysse has turned down a rematch with former world champion Vivian Harris. On February 20th, Matthysse won a controversial fourth round TKO over Harris in what seemed like an early stoppage. Golden Boy Promotions and Harris’ management team have been working on reversing the decision to a no-contest and have filed an appeal. The Mexican boxing commission has yet to make a ruling. (more…)
Octagonside by J.R. Gordon
Photos by Joe Cordova
Fighting on the first UFC card to be televised on Versus, from the 1st Bank Event Center in Broomfield, Colorado, Jon “Bones” Jones stopped Brandon Vera by a first round TKO.
Both, Jones and Vera, were both coming off losses and looking to become reestablished as contenders in the light heavyweight division . . . Click here for more
Story by Andreas Hale
“If people like revenge, then you will like this fight,” Roy Jones Jr’s trainer Alton Merkerson said during a trainers conference call leading up to the long overdue rematch between Jones Jr (54-6, 40 KOs) and Bernard Hopkins (50-5-2, 35 KOs, 1 NC). The fight has been under much scrutiny considering that Jones is well past his prime and is coming off a destructive first round knockout loss to relatively unheralded Danny Green in December. That marks Jones’ third knockout loss in ten fights – with a record of 5-5 -since starting his illustrious career going 49-1 . . . Click here for more
Story by Andreas Hale
Shane Carwin is like the Mike Tyson of the UFC right now. He’s 11-0 with 11 knockouts.
Pretty scary right? How about none of his opponents have made it out of the first round? Not good enough? Okay, so all of his fights have a total combined length of 12 minutes. You do the math . . . Click here for more
WBO cruiserweight champion Marco “Kapt’n” Huck (28-1, 21 KOs) will take on former heavyweight contender Brian “The Beast” Minto (34-3, 21 KOs) on May 1 in Oldenburg, Germany. Minto, who has been ranked as the #5 cruiserweight by the WBO, is dropping down after campaigning his entire career as a smaller heavyweight. In his last bout, despite a valiant effort, Minto was outgunned by Cris Arreola, who outweighed him by 45 pounds. Huck is coming off a third round KO of Adam “Swamp Donkey” Richards.
Looks like WBC Caribbean Boxing Federation (CABOFE) featherweight champion and WBC highly ranked contender Juan Carlos Burgos (24-0, 17 KOs) could defend his title against former three-time world title challenger Ricardo “Piolo” Castillo (38-7-1, 25 KOs). The bout is being proposed for April 30th in Chicago and would be televised on ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights series.
By Alexey Potapov
Alexander Krassyuk, General Manager of “K2 Promotions Ukraine” was recently a guest on the RingSide Show. As reported by Fightnews.com several weeks ago, WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko has split with K2 East Promotions (which was created in November 2007 through a partnership between the Klitschko’s К2 Promotions and National Box Promotion), and started K2 Promotions Ukraine. Krassyuk explains what occurred. (more…)
By Ricardo Conde
WBA # 2 junior welterweight contender Victor “Mermelada” Cayo (24-0, 16 KOs) of the Dominican Republic will face Argentina’s Marcos “El Chino” Maidana (27-1, 26 KOs) on Saturday March 27th for the interim WBA junior welterweight title at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas. We had a moment to sit down and talk to Cayo as he prepares for his upcoming bout with Maidana. (more…)
By Bob Ryder
In addition to rooting on Flint’s Andre Dirrell, Detroiters will have many of the areas best boxers to cheer for as well when promoters Gary Shaw and Wilfried Sauerland present the Arthur Abraham-Andre Dirrell Super Six Stage 2 bout at Joe Louis Arena on Saturday night. Local promoter Ron Remus and site organizer Carlos Llinas have helped to fill a scheduled ten bout under card with Motor City favorites including Vernon Paris, Darryl Cunningham and Ronald Hearns. (more…)
Ex-Olympic gold medalist Audley Harrison (26-4-1, 19 KOs) and former British and Commonwealth title holder Michael Sprott (32-14, 17 KOs) will clash for the vacant European heavyweight championship at London’s Alexandra Palace on April 9. The pair have fought before in February 2007 and Harrison will be keen for revenge after he was knocked out in the third round. Harrison, 38, who saved his career by winning Prizefighter Heavyweights 3 in October, had been scheduled to meet Poland’s Albert Sosnowski for the title. However, Sosnowski will now face WBC Champion Vitali Klitschko in May and is set to vacate the European belt to set up the all-British clash. (more…)
This weekend, SHOWTIME will be available in a record 54.4 million households for an ALL ACCESS Free Preview Weekend on SHOWTIME, SHOWTIME HD™ and SHOWTIME On Demand. From Thursday, March 25 through Sunday, March 28, viewers across the country will have the opportunity to sample the premium network’s award-winning programming via linear service, On Demand and in HD, including the Super Six World Boxing Classic. On Saturday, March 27, the Group Stage 2 showdown between tournament point leader “King” Arthur Abraham and Andre “The Matrix” Dirrell airs live at 10:30 pm ET/PT (delayed on the west coast), immediately following the premium television premiere of “Saw V”. Beyond this exciting sports programming, SHOWTIME ALL ACCESS Free Preview Weekend includes a dynamic cross section of programming including the season 2 premiere episodes of SHOWTIME original series Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara as well as hit movies Twilight and The Reader. Visit the SHOWTIME ALL ACCESS Free Preview Weekend webpage for complete details.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.