firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Update: Algieri makes weight for Pacquiao clash
- Hitz says George-Pascal clash is still on
- Fight Night Austin at the scales
- Report: George pulls out of Pascal fight
- Weights from Las Vegas
- Weights from San Diego, Ca
- Boxing Buzz
- Cleverly, Bellew make weight for grudge rematch in Liverpool
- Puerta confident of dethroning Miura
- Cohen/Salita team up to promote Jarrell Miller
- Ronald Hearns returns December 12
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Photo: Brock Ellis
Former Pakistan Olympian Kashif Mumtaz (8-24-1, 6 KOs) will clash with Manny Vlamis (8-2, 5 KOs) over eight rounds with the Victorian State light heavyweight title up for grabs at the Malvern Town Hall in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on Friday. Mumtaz caused a major upset in his most recent ring appearance when he stopped IBF #6 super middleweight Les Sherrington in round one on May 21. In 2011, former WBA middleweight champion Masilino Masoe stopped Mumtaz in four rounds on March 19. Mumtaz has previously defeated Vlamis in 2008 via a six round majority decision. Vlamis was also defeated by current Australian middleweight champion Johannes Mwetupunga in 2009 by stoppage in six rounds. Also in action will be super middleweight Pradeep Singh (16-3-1, 8 KOs) who will punch it out with Amir Hossein Ranjdar (8-13, 5 KOs) over eight rounds. In other action former Australian welterweight champion Eddie Delic (17-9-2, 3 KOs) will clash with James J. Giltrow (12-2, 7 KOs) over eight rounds for the vacant Victorian State light middleweight title. The promoter is Peter Maniatis (Peter Maniatis Events).
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Australian middleweight Garth Wood (10-2, 6 KOs) will be back in action on August 31 in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia when he will clash over twelve rounds with Johannes Mwetupunga (11-2, 5 KOs) with the IBF Pan Pacific title up for grabs on the undercard of IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale’s first defense of the championship against Eromosele Albert of Nigeria. In 2010, Wood caused one of the biggest upsets in Australian boxing history when he scored a KO in five rounds over the former WBA super middleweight champion Anthony Mundine. He also captured the Australian Contender super middleweight series in 2010 when he outscored WBO #8 Kariz Kariuki. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBC featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez performed a workout for the press in Mexico City in advance of Saturday’s defense at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City against Thomas “El Norteño” Villa. Trained by Ignacio Beristain, Gonzalez was in impressive physical condition. “I’m going for the knockout,” said Gonzalez. “It’s the first time I’m going to Atlantic City and I want to return. It’s a place rich in boxing history.” Trainer Beristain, who was recently inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame, added, “Johnny is a top athlete. He’s a professional and since we’ve been together he has has shown me the discipline and desire to work. I think he will give a good fight. I don’t know if it’ll be by knockout or by decision, but he’ll win. I have no doubt.” Today Gonzalez is headed to Atlantic City with promoters Reginald and Oswaldo Kuchle, while “Nacho” Beristain will join the team on Thursday.
After his win against David Haye on Saturday night, unified heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko has now turned his attentions to heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury. The Manchester-based undefeated 6’9 Fury, who has previously trained alongside Klitschko under Emanuel Steward, challenges the British and Commonwealth champion Dereck Chisora at Wembley Arena on July 23rd. With limited options, Klitschko – who twice pulled out of voluntary defences against Dereck Chisora in the last eight months – is interested in the challenge the pair pose. Wladimir said: “I tell you something. There is another fight between Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury, two other British fighters that could be interesting for me.”
Sports fans in North America will also be able to watch the “The Big Brawl,” as the event will be distributed in the United States by Integrated Sports Media for live viewing at 3 PM/ET – 12 PM/PT on both cable and satellite pay-per-view via iN Demand, DIRECTV, and Avail-TVN, for a suggested retail price of $24.95 and in Canada on the Super Channel network.
Gavin Rees has been forced to withdraw from his European Lightweight title defense against Derry Mathews on July 23 in Cardiff. Rees was due to defend the title against the English champion in the Motorpoint Arena venue where he won the belt against Andy Murray in June, but a damaged hand during training has forced the “gutted” Welshman out of the fight. Promoter Eddie Hearn has confirmed that the fight will be rescheduled later this year and hopes that a date in September or October can be fixed soon. Fans who purchased tickets for the show will receive a full refund from their point of purchase.
By Johnny B’
A promising boxing card comes to the outskirts of Chicago as Cynthia Tolaymat, CFC, Chicago Fight Club Promotions LLC, presents professional boxing, July 15th at ‘The Club’ in Burbank Illinois. Three title bouts share the spotlight. Cruiserweights Carl Davis (15-3, 11 KOs) takes on veteran Rob Calloway (71-12-2, 57 KOs) in a twelve round contest for the IBF Intercontinental belt. Another 12 round bout has Albert Mensah (23-3-1, 10 KOs) matched up against Andre Gorges (11-1, 6 KOs) for the vacant IBF International light welterweight title
The third title bout features veteran Lanardo Tyner (24-4-2, 15 KOs) going head to head against fellow veteran Vivian Harris (29-6-1, 19 KOs) in a ten-rounder for the IBO/USBO welterweight title. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Two-division former world champion Jorge “El Niño de Oro” Linares will move his training camp from Narita, Japan to Los Angeles to begin working with famed trainer Freddie Roach at the Wild Card Gym. After his fight in Mexico in May, Linares said he felt a strong desire to train in Los Angeles. “I have waited for this moment for a long time and I will do my best to win a third world title,” stated Linares. He hopes to land a world title shot by the end of the year.
By Graham Houston
After all the talk of dramatic destruction, what we got from David Haye against Wladimir Klitschko on Saturday night was 12 rounds of hit-and-run boxing with one of the ingredients missing. Haye was disappointing, Klitschko was workmanlike and the much-anticipated heavyweight title fight turned out to be a dud. (“Wake me when the fight starts,” HBO sage Larry Merchant laconically commented in the eighth round.)
Over at Sky Sports, did I really hear the studio crew describing Haye’s performance as valiant? To me, valiant was Tommy Farr going 15 rounds with Joe Louis and making a fight of it, Don Cockell surviving brutal blows and taking Rocky Marciano into the ninth round, or Danny Williams picking himself off the canvas four times before being pulled out after eight one-sided rounds against Vitali Klitschko. Haye’s performance against the younger of the Klitschko brothers was more in the nature of Joe Bugner going 15 rounds with Muhammad Ali, except that Bugner heard the final bell by means of covering up behind a shell-like defence whereas Haye did so by getting on his bike. (more…)
Photos: Promociones Miguel Cotto
Vélez and Valcárcel continue their big promotion around Puerto Rico, as the main event fighters Jayson “La Maravilla” Vélez (15-0, 12KOs) and Carlos Valcárcel (12-2-4, 5KOs) visited their hometown summer camps to sign autographs and give boxing clinics to children. “It was a great experience to visit my hometown kids. I believe that we have the power to teach them positive things about life. And if they follow their dreams they will come true,” Jayson Vélez said. “I told the kids of my beautiful hometown of Cataño that if they practice sports they will have a bright future. All achievements that I have accomplished in life have been through the sport of boxing. They can focus on boxing and stay out of drugs,” Carlos Valcárcel said Miguel “El Loco” Robles and Abner Cotto where present in the summer camp visit. Promoter and five time world champion Miguel Cotto added: “This fight has generated tremendous local interest. more + photos
WBC Statement: The World Boxing Council established communication twice with WBC Bantamweight world champion, Nonito Donaire, of The Philippines, by virtue of the fact that Donaire won his title by defeating “Cochulito” Montiel, of Mexico, on February 19th, 2011, and has not put his title on the line. From the previously mentioned date up to now, four months and 13 days have gone by; Donaire has held the title since then, but has not made any defense of it. Our rules and regulations obligate all champions to make a title defense every four months, as six months without doing so represent declaring the title vacant. Considering the aforementioned facts, Nonito Donaire is being notified in time that he must comply with his obligations as a champion, and so far, we have not received a reply from the Philippine fighter.
By Robert Coster
“It was highway robbery,” says Rogelio Espino, manager of featherweight contender Celestino Cabellero, after his boxer’s very controversial 12 round split decision loss to WBA champion Jonathan Victor Barros last Saturday in Mendoza, Argentina, hometown of the defending champion. The 35-year-old Panama-born Caballero scored two knockdowns against Barros and maintained the offensive throughout the fight. Yet judge Raul Caiz voted 114-112 for the Argentine boxer while judge Danny Nelson scored a ludicrous 116-110 in favor of the defending champion. Judge Cesar Ramos voted 115-111 for Caballero as did the Argentine commentators of the TYC Sports TV network. Arriving in Panama City, a dejected Caballero declared: “It is a crime to rob a boxer after he’s given it his all, as I did. If I am not able to get an automatic rematch, I will simply hang up the gloves!”
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The controversial split decision between former WBA super champion Celestino “Pelenchin” Caballero and current WBA featherweight world champion Jonathan Barros on Saturday in Argentina has prompted the WBA to review the video of the fight. The end result was 114-112 and 116-111 for Barros from judges Raul Caiz and Danny Nelson, while Cesar Ramos had Caballero ahead 115-111. Barros was down twice in the fight. Gilberto Mendoza, WBA Executive vice president, said the fight will be reviewed by a panel of judges to compare the scores and outcome. “The WBA reviews, analyzes and evaluates all world championship fights to upgrade the qualifications of the officials. Barros-Caballero will be studied and discussed and we will make a ruling on the matter,” said Mendoza.
Photos: Public Address/Stefan Hoyer
Wladimir Klitschko and his brother Vitali Klitschko now hold all the most recognized heavyweight championships after Wlad dominated David Haye over twelve rounds in Hamburg Germany on Saturday to add the final piece of the puzzle. Wladimir holds the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts, while Vitali wears the WBC belt.
So what’s next? (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Mexican prospect Salvador Sanchez II (23-4-3, 12 KOs) reappears Saturday July 9 against countryman Rodolfo “El Chapulin” Garay (29-19-1, 13 KOs) in an eight round featherweight bout at the Forum Polanco in Mexico City on an event organized by Boxeo de Gala headed by Dr. Fausto Daniel Garcia.
“I’m progressing during this time and strive as much as possible to achieve my goals,” said Sanchez. “I’m in a learning phase and every fight for me is important and a new challenge. I can get to the top of world boxing.” Garay has faced Juan Carlos Burgos, Francisco Arce, Carlos Cuadras, Tomoki Kameda, Christian Badillo Arturo Esquivel among others. “This fight will be my sixth in Mexico and I hope after this fight to face a foreign rival and continue my progress, added Sanchez.
Kevin Mitchell’s showdown with John Murray has been moved to Saturday 16th July at the Liverpool Echo Arena after the Londoner came down with a viral infection.
The highly anticipated fight now features on a bill headlined by Ricky Burns’ WBO World Super-Featherweight title defence against Nicky Cook, plus the explosive rematch between Tony Bellew and Ovill McKenzie for both the vacant British and Commonwealth light-heavyweight titles. Also, with Frankie Gavin defending his WBO Intercontinental title against footballer-turned boxer Curtis Woodhouse there are now four title big fights on the 13 fight card. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Looks like former three-division world champion Mexican Erik “Terrible” Morales will face British champion Anthony Crolla (28-2, 19 KOs) in Las Vegas on September 17 on the card featuring Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Victor Ortiz. Morales has already begun to train and hopes to make his training camp in the Otomi Ceremonial Center, and has been at it for some time. One source reports that the fight could be an opportunity for Morales to add to his legendary career and fight for a world title in a fourth weight division. The scenario would unfold if the WBC super lightweight belt, currently held by Timothy Bradley, is vacated.
Headlining the next United Boxers Event on Saturday, July 16th at the D.C. Star Nightclub will be undefeated super middleweight prospect Alexander “The Great” Johnson (11-0, 4 KOs) of Oxon Hill, Maryland, with rising star Emmanuel “The Tranzformer” Taylor (12-0, 9 KOs) of Edgewood Arsenal, Maryland in the co-featured junior welterweight bout. As part of the evening festivities United Boxers will honor two of the area’s legends in boxing, former world champions Mark “Too Sharp” Johnson and Sharmba Mitchell. Said Chris Middendorf of United Boxers, “When I was managing fighters, the area was ruled by a group of area world champions; Mark Johnson, Sharmba Mitchell, Keith Holmes and William Joppy for starters. This show in DC is our effort to honor the area champions at the same time as we focus on the younger generation.” (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Doctor Ntsele from the Free State became the new South African flyweight champion when he beat Xola Sifama of Mdantsane on a 12 round split decision at the Orient Theatre in East London on Sunday afternoon. Judge Siya Vabaza scored the fight a rather surprising 118-113 for Sifama whilst Allen Matakane and Andile Matika had it 116-113 and 115-113 for Ntsele.
In a gruelling affair that was spoilt by the spoiling tactics of Sifama (50.60kg) throughout, Ntsele (50.55kg) deserved to take the decision. After a quiet opening round Ntsele 12-4-1; 10 showed the champion no respect as he backed him up through rounds two to seven scoring with straight right hands to the head as Sifama 12-3-1; 7 ducked and dived to avoid the punches. Sifama had a point deducted by referee Simphiwe Mbini in the sixth round and was lucky not to have further points deducted for holding in the later rounds. Ntsele’s right eye began to puff up from in from round eight as he began to tire with the champion making a late surge. However, the eye was never a factor in the fight. (more…)
By Lindy Lindell
Photos: Bob Ryder
Crowd pleasing. Ugly and yet entertaining. Team Dirrell’s Atwater Stadium show last night in Flint quite possibly drew the largest attendance for a non-televised pro boxing show this century with the possible exception of a Troy Rowland show or two in Grand Rapids. What a surprise! With Flint’s #1 fighter, Andre Dirrell, on the sidelines rooting for his brother, the undefeated Anthony “The Dog” Dirrell, and with the July 4 holday two days away and coupled with blistering heat and humidity, whoda thunk that a large crowd, possibly 3000 or more would show? When both Dirrells headlined a show in Flint about three years ago, nobody showed and the promotion was a bust.
But give those involved with the promotion a big huzzah. The show was well organized and mostly well policed and while the fights weren’t always the best, few walked away cheated. For more details and photos click here…
By Joe Koizumi
Photo: Boxing Beat
WBC#8/WBA#9 Japanese super-bantam champ Masaaki Serie (19-3, 8 KOs), 121.5, unified the national belts by pounding out a unanimous nod (98-93 twice and 97-94) over interim titlist Mikihito Seto (31-9-2, 16 KOs), 121.5, on Friday in Tokyo, Japan. They belonged to a same league of tricky and unorthodox stylists, or a Fritzie Zivik club. They kept on mixing up, clinching and holding each other all the way. The referee looked tired of giving too many warnings on their dirty fight. But it was Serie that connected with a bit more accurate combos, controlling later rounds, while Seto failed to display his usual aggressiveness. Promoter: B-Tight Promotions.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.