email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
Photos: Chris Farina / Team Salido Three-time world champion in two division Orlando "Siri" Salido and WBC Super featherweight champion Francisco "Bandido" Vargas ...
- Interviews: "Zurdo" Ramirez and Oscar Valdez
- Arum explains Valdez-Rueda title situation
- J Rock ready for showdown with Charlo
- Liam Smith: Kell Brook is the fight I'm pushing for
- Crawford-Postol PPV undercard announcement
- Brock-Gutierrez clash in USNBC grudge match
- Alexander Povetkin's latest sample clean
- Andrade says he'll beat both Charlos, then Lara
- Q&A: Christian "Chimpa" Gonzalez
- WBC Francophone ratings as of May 2016
- New book on the life of Jose Sulaiman
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Ron Jackson
Sabelo Jubatha makes the first defense of his South African feather weight title when he meets number one contender Marcel Japhta at the Nangoza Jebe Hall in Port Elizabeth on Friday night. Jubatha (10-1, 7 KOs) who fights out of the Enothole gym in Mdantsane, won the title on December 18 last year with a tenth round technical knockout over Luthando Vukuza. (more…)
Featherweight Eduardo “Canilla” Escobedo (27-3, 19 KOs) will have another opportunity to win a world title when he takes on Colombian Francisco Cordero (22-0, 14 KOs) for the WBA interim belt on June 26 at a site to be named. The 26-year-old Escobedo, who is coached by Nacho Beristain, previously challenged for the WBO super bantamweight title against Daniel Ponce de Leon in December 2008, losing a unanimous decision. Cordero’s biggest win was a decision over Koseki Nakama in Okinawa. Former two-time WBC lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo (60-10-1, 52 KOs) will also be featured. The card will be presented by Arce Promotions and televised by the Televisa network.
Photos by Eroll Papova
Big crowd today at Universum’s public training session in Rostock, Germany’s Ostsee Park Mall. Hundreds of spectators marveled at the skills of the fighters headlining the “Universum Champions Night” on Saturday at the Rostock StadtHalle. The highlight was a long intense, face-to-face staredown between former WBA heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev and and top contender Kali Meehan, who meet in an important WBA elimination bout. More plus photos…
Two-time world champion Miguel Cotto hung out at the Yankees batting cage, took pictures with Arod, spoke to captain Derek Jeter and said he plans to win on Top Rank’s big Stadium Slugfest at Yankee Stadium on Saturday, June 5. Cotto broke camp in Tampa, Fla and came to Yankee Stadium for a press function which included on the field activities. “I feel great, I am working hard, weight is no problem and I’m ready to fight,” Cotto said at a press conference before the Yankees took on the Tampa Bay Rays. For more photos click here…
Photos by Tom Briglia/Top Rank
Before his Yankee Stadium press conference, Miguel Cotto worked out with his new trainer Manny Steward at the Trinity Boxing Gym in New York. There Cotto fired hard punches while doing mitts with Steward. “Cotto has better balance now,” Steward said. “That’s the first thing I noticed about him in recent fights. I worked with him on balance, sharper and more accurate punching. His conditioning is outstanding. He’s ready to fight on June 5.” (more…)
By Rocco Morales
Photos by Big Joe Miranda
Quotes from this afternoon’s press event in Los Angeles:
Rafael Marquez – “There’s no need for words of introduction for Vasquez and I. Everyone knows us from our trilogy of fights. You’re going to see a great show and who Rafael Marquez is in the ring this Saturday night.”
Israel “El Magnifico” Vasquez – “On May 22nd, Rafael and I are going to again fight the best fight of the year.” For more details and photos click here…
Former heavyweight champion Hasim “The Rock” Rahman (46-7-2, 37 KOs) kept a big group of assembled local media captivated today, during a press conference at the Niagara Falls Conference Center to announce Rahman’s main event against Troy New York’s Shannon Miller (16-4, 9 KOs) on June 19. Never short of wit, when informed Miller couldn’t attend because of his job as head of a security firm, Rahman quipped “That’s ok. He’s going to need security when I get through with him.” (more…)
Cyrille “The Snake” Diabaté will make his UFC debut on May 29th against Brazil’s Luiz Cane. For the former assistant coach of the ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter, it’s the high-point of a 19-year career. A former French and world champion in kickboxing and Thai boxing, Cyrille now dreams of adding a UFC belt to his collection . . . Click for more by Darragh Creamer, UFC
“All the hard work was done,” said newly crowned IBF jr. flyweight champion Carlos “El Olimpico” Tamara today, “now we’ll keep working hard to make sure I’ll maintain my condition, speed and strength.” Tamara ended up his camp sparring sessions this afternoon by going ten tough rounds with three elite fighters at Joe Grier’s Boxing Academy in Paterson, NJ. (more…)
Photos courtesy WBC
After half a year away from the ring, following the triple fracture in his face causing him Rodel Mayol, Edgar Sosa is ready to return. Acapulco will witness the return of the WBC emeritus champion against former world champion Roberto Leyva from Sonora, Mexico. The meeting will be at the MEX TENNIS Stadium of the Fairmont Acapulco Princess Hotel next June 5th. Click here for more photos…
NABF heavyweight champion Johnathon Banks makes his first title defense May 29 on the “Fists Of Steel” pay-per-view event, featuring WBC heavyweight title holder Vitali “Dr. Ironfist” Klitschko against challenger Albert “The Dragon” Sosnowski, live from the 61,000-seat Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. Detroit punisher Banks (24-1, 17 KOs), ranked # 7 in the world by the WBC and #9 by the IBF, takes on veteran Jason “The Sensation” Gavern, rated in the top 15 of the WBC, in the 12-round co-feature.
“Fists Of Steel,” presented by K2 Promotions and Klitschko Management Group, is being distributed in North America by Integrated Sports Media for live viewing at 3 PM/ET – 12 PM/PT on both cable and satellite pay-per-view via iN Demand, DIRECTV, Avail-TVN and DISH Network in the United States, as well as Bell TV, Shaw PPV and Viewer’s Choice in Canada, for a suggested retail price of only $24.95. (more…)
Photos by Chris Farina/Top Rank
WBO world featherweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez and world-ranked Bernanbe Concepcion pose during a press conference to announce their upcoming big showdown on Saturday, July 10 which is televised live on SHOWTIME from the Coliseo De Puerto Rico in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Click here for more photos…
By Ricardo Conde
WBC Continental Americas welterweight champion Alfonso Gomez (22-4-2, 11 KOs) of Mexico, trained by his father Alfonso Gomez Sr., and being assisted by former junior lightweight champ Robert Garcia, began preparations this week in Oxnard, CA for his upcoming bout. Gomez will step back into the ring on Saturday, July 17th against an opponent yet to be determined. For more details and photos click here…
Former world title challenger Rey ‘Boom Boom’ Bautista (28-2, 21 KOs) and world ranked A.J. ‘Bazooka’ Banal ( 21-1-1, 17 KOs) will headline in separate bouts at the Norforlk Scope Arena in Norfolk, Virginia on June 26th. In the 10 round featherweight main event, Bautista will take on Dominican veteran Leivi Brea (18-8-3, 10 KOs). Brea has fought solid competion including former world champion Jhonny Gonzalez. In an eight round bantamweight co-main event, Banal will take on the hard punching and upset-minded Andre Wilson (11-4-1, 9 KOs) of Missouri. The arrivals of Bautista and Banal are highly anticipated as the word has it there are nearly 100,000 Filipinos who reside in Virginia with 45,000 of them in Hampton Roads in the near vicinity of the event. (more…)
WBO featherweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez of Caguas, Puerto Rico and challenger Bernabe Concepcion of Rizal, Philippines faced off at a press conference today in Puerto Rico to discuss their upcoming world title fight July 10 on SHOWTIME.
Juan Manuel Lopez: “Its always very exciting to fight at home and I am looking forward to giving the fans a great fight. Concepcion is a strong puncher and will give me a tough fight. It is important to give the fans a good show and I’m looking forward to fighting on Showtime”
Bernabe Concepcion: “I have to be very smart and carefull with Lopez because his a big puncher. I fought all over the world and feel ready to fight in Puerto Rico and look forward to the challenge.”
The bout will take place at the Coliseo de Puerto Rico, ‘Miguel Angel Agrelot’ in San Juan. Lopez has a record of 28-0 with 25 knockouts. Concepcion is 28-3-1, 15 KOs.
Three-time World Champion Israel Vazquez, Two-division World Champion Rafael Marquez and top-rated contender Abner Mares participated at a Media Workout Tuesday at Fortune Gym in Hollywood, Calif. IBF bantamweight champ Yonnhy Perez was a no-show. Here is what the fighters said on Tuesday. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Panamanian referee Gustavo Padilla will be the third man in the ring when Venezuelan WBA interim lightweight world champion Miguel “Aguacerito” Acosta (26-3-2, 20 KOs) and Namibian WBA lightweight regular world champion Paulus Moses (25-0, 17 KOs) meet at Windhoek, Namibia on May 29. The three judges are Alfredo Polanco (Mexico), Joon Poturaj (USA) and Guisepe Quartarone (Italy). The fight supervisor is Stanley Christodolou (South Africa).
Miguel Cotto and his chief trainer Manny Steward just hit New York City today and will be at Yankee Stadium tonight. Cotto and his team came in from Tampa, Fla. which is where he has been training. Cotto has a media function at Yankee Stadium this afternoon and will be on the field near the batting cages before the Yankees take on the Tampa Bay Rays. Cotto’s assistant trainer Joe Santiago is here as well as strength coach Phil Landman and publicist Bryan Perez.
Former WBC light flyweight champion Edgar Sosa (37-6, 21 KOs) returns to the ring June 5th. Sosa will take on former world champion Roberto ‘Mako’ Leyva (27-11-1, 21 KOs) in a 10 round main event fought at a contracted weight of 115 pounds maximum. The two met back in 2007 where Sosa stopped Leyva in 4. It will be the first fight for Sosa since losing his title to Rodel Mayol in controversial fashion on November 21, 2009. Sosa suffered a fractured cheekbone after receiving a head butt from Rodel Mayol in the second round of their bout, which was stopped later in the same round with Mayol winning by TKO.
Wild Cards: Kris and Kyacey Are Fighting For One More Chance On TUF: On an all new episode of The Ultimate Fighter®, Team Ortiz members Kyacey Uscola and Kris McCray have a chance to get back into the competition when they take on eachother in the Octagon. Tonight at 10pm ET/PT on SPIKE
Rampage and Rashad Continue Their Collision Course To UFC 114: Follow Rampage Jackson and Rashad Evans with an up close and personal look on UFC Primetime – all new tonight at 11pm ET/PT on SPIKE
An already loaded UFC® FAN EXPO™ just got some added firepower. UFC President Dana White announced today that this year’s festivities will include four grappling superfights featuring the likes of MMA stars Caol Uno, Hermes Franca, Javier Vazquez, and Fredson Paixao, as well as a much-anticipated women’s contest. (more…)
Undefeated WBA super welterweight champion and future rabbi Yuri Foreman will serve as a Grand Marshall of the 2010 annual Salute to Israel Parade, the world’s largest public gathering in celebration of Israel, celebrating the 62nd anniversary of Israel with a spectacular parade featuring song, dance, floats and props. The Parade is scheduled to take place this Sunday (May 23) from 11AM to 4 PM; starting at 57th Street on Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue; rain or shine; with close to 1,000,000 spectators expected to attend. Foreman is expected to start riding up the Fifth Avenue parade route at 1 PM. Foreman (28-0, 8 KOs) defends his title against three-time world champion Miguel Cotto (34-2, 27 KOs) on June 5, in the main event of “Stadium Slugfest” — the inaugural brawl at Yankee Stadium.
Top undefeated bantamweight contender Abner Mares (left) and two-division world champion Rafael Marquez (Right) throw out the first pitch at the Dodgers game against the Houston Astros on May 18, 2010 in Los Angeles, California. Marquez will face three-time world champion Israel Vazquez and Mares will face bantamweight world champion Yonnhy Perez on Saturday at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles which will be televised live on SHOWTIME.
WBO junior featherweight champion Wilfredo Vázquez Jr. of Puerto Rico (18-0-1, 15 KOs) intensely hits the mitts during a training session in Puerto Rico. Vázquez Jr. is in preparation for first defense of his title May 29th against unbeaten and Universum promoted Zsolt Bedak (15-0, 5 KOs) of Hungary. (more…)
World-ranked Bernanbe Concepcion arrived tonight in San Juan, Puerto Rico from the Philippines for the big press conference tomorrow to officially announce his challenge to WBO world featherweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez. Lopez and Concepcion will battle on Showtime, Saturday, July 10 from the Coliseo De Puerto Rico.
Boxing stars Israel Vazquez, Rafael Marquez Workout and Abner Mares loosened up today at the Fortune Gym in Hollywood, California. The fighters are also scheduled to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at tonight’s Dodgers-Astros game. Click for more plus photos…
Photos by Lukasz Furman/www.bokser.org
WBC heavyweight title challenger Albert Sosnowski (45-2-1, 27 KOs) works out at his training camp in Wisla, Poland. Sosnowski, who won the European heavyweight title in his last fight, will attempt to dethrone WBC world champion Vitali Klitschko (39-2, 37 KOs) on May 29th at the Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen, Germany.
“Fists Of Steel” presented by K2 Promotions and Klitschko Management Group, is being distributed in North America by Integrated Sports Media for live viewing at 3 PM/ET – 12 PM/PT on both cable and satellite pay-per-view via iN Demand, DIRECTV, TVN and DISH Network in the United States, as well as Bell TV, Shaw PPV and Viewer’s Choice in Canada, for a suggested retail price of $24.95. Click here for more photos…
The fight for the vacant IBF jr lightweight title between #1, Mzonke Fana (29-4, 12 KOs) and #2, Cassius Baloyi (37-4-1, 19 KOs) is scheduled to take place on August 6 at a site to be named in South Africa. Baloyi has already held the title twice and Fona once. The two met in April 2008 where Baloyi took a majority decision and Fona’s IBF jr lighweight title.
Middleweight contender Khoren Gevor (31-4, 16 KOs) has decided to remain with Universum. “I still have a lot of plans and am convinced that there is no better promoter with which to reach my goals,” said Gevor. “Universum was always a fair and dependable partner for me and has kept always to our agreements. I’m glad that we can go on together.”
Universum promoter Klaus-Peter Kohl commented, “After Khoren had signaled that he would like to continue with us, we didn’t hesitate. He has delivered great fights and further attractive fights, which have the stuff to be classics, are possible with him. We are pleased to be able to present on July 17th an explosive fight between Zbik against Gevor, which both boxers immediately agreed to.” (more…)
By Alexey “Oscar” Potapov
Photos by Pavel Terekhov
WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko (39-2, 37 KOs) during a media and public workout at his training camp in Going, Austria. Vitali has a world title defense against European heavyweight champion Albert Sosnowski (45-2-1, 27 KOs) on May 29th at the Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen, Germany.
“Fists Of Steel” presented by K2 Promotions and Klitschko Management Group, is being distributed in North America by Integrated Sports Media for live viewing at 3 PM/ET – 12 PM/PT on both cable and satellite pay-per-view via iN Demand, DIRECTV, TVN and DISH Network in the United States, as well as Bell TV, Shaw PPV and Viewer’s Choice in Canada, for a suggested retail price of $24.95. For more photos click here…
By Joe Koizumi
Unbeaten WBA super-feather champ Takashi Uchiyama (15-0, 12 KOs), 130, Japan, impressively retained his belt as he positively kept stalking much taller Angel Granados (18-9, 8 KOs), 129.25, from Venezuela, and finally caught him with a vicious looping right to drop the lanky challenger face first to prompt the referee’s intervention at 1:42 of the sixth round on Monday in Saitama (close to our capital Tokyo), Japan. (more…)
By Joe Koizumi
WBC#1/WBA#5 ranked OPBF super-fly champ Kohei Kono (25-4, 9 KOs), 115, barely kept his regional belt as he had a tough time coping with desperate southpaw compatriot Masashi Tonomura (13-6-1, 6 KOs), 115, but was awarded a TKO win over the quickly fading challenger at 2:28 of the eleventh session on Monday in Saitama, Japan. (more…)
By Joe Koizumi
WBA female super-fly champ Tsunami Tenkai (14-3, 5 KOs), 113.75, Japan, kept her belt as she battered ex-national amateur bantam titlist, compatriot Kayoko Ebata (3-3, 2 KOs; amateur 14-3), 113.5, and pounded out a unanimous decision (98-92, 97-92 and 96-93) over ten frames on Monday in Saitama, Japan. Tenkai, making her second defense since dethroning Chinese southpaw Xian Xi Yang in February 2009, took the leadoff with her trade-mark left hooks to the elusive challenger. Ebata, a 34-year-old footworker, attempted to counter the onrushing champ and took a point in round four. Tenkai, however, overpowered the lanky counterpuncher all the way from the fifth onward. Ebata was penalized a point for pushing down the champ’s back-head repeatedly midway in the eighth. The full champ Tenkai, 25, will face WBA interim ruler Carolina Gutierrez of Argentina in her next defense. Promoter: Yamaki Promotions in association with Watanabe Promotions.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.