email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Verdejo poised to win first pro title
- Malignaggi in Khan-Algieri co-feature
- The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 - Episode Three Preview
- Massive demand KOs Pacquiao conference call
- Garcia, Szpilka on Spike undercard
- Tony Luis returns June 26
- Klitschko set for USA ring return Saturday
- Pathompothong stops Butar Butar
- Lucas Browne sounds off
- Sadam Ali: I'm prepared
- Joshua opponent named
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Sources say that the WBC featherweight champion in recess Elio Rojas of the Dominican Republic has declared himself ready to exercise his right to immediately fight current WBC featherweight champion Jhonny Gonzalez for his former title. Rojas right-hand problem is said to be corrected and came out of a recent tune-up bout with no problems. He is ready to leave the country in the next few days for a strong training camp in New York City because his manager Tony Tineo is already working on the Gonzalez fight, which would be held in Mexico or Las Vegas.
Former WBA heavyweight boxing champion David Haye has notified the BBBC that he will not renew his boxing license. BBBC secretary Robert Smith told BBC Radio 5 live that Haye informed him by email that “he is no longer wishing to renew his license.” Haye has steadfastly maintained that he wouldn’t fight past age 30 and his 31st birthday is Thursday, however he has not yet officially announced his retirement. Haye has been named as a possible opponent for Vitali Klitschko.
By Robert Coster
His fans in Montreal have no doubts about him: they believe rising boxer Dierry Jean has all it takes to be the next Haitian-Canadian to win a world title, following the footsteps of Joachim Alcine and Jean Pascal. The 29-year-old junior welterweight, unbeaten in 19 fights (with 13 KOs), is not one to disagree with that assessment. Getting ready to face tough, seasoned Francisco Lorenzo on October 20th in Montreal, Jean likes to mention that “In French, there is a saying: never two without three.” (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Former world title challenger Sakio Bika and says he is interested in fights with Kelly Pavlik and Bernard Hopkins. Sakio rates Joe Calzaghe as the best he has boxed and predicts that Andre Ward will defeat Carl Froch in SHOWTIME’s “Super Six” super middleweight tournament. Bika also says that IBF middleweight champion Daniel Geale will defeat Sergio Martinez when they clash and thanks his fans for their support. (more…)
Photo: Mark Robinson/Hatton Promotions
Ricky Hatton will make a dramatic ring return next month – but instead of throwing leather he’ll be barking the orders. ‘The Hitman’ took out a trainers licence last month and the first fighter to team up with him is Blackpool welterweight hopeful Adam Little. Hatton will be in Little’s corner for the first time when his protégé boxes at Oldham Sports Centre on Saturday November 12 against a selected opponent.
Former two-weight world champion Hatton said: “This is the biggest buzz I have had since my fighting days. When I was going through my depression I would nip off to the pub, but I don’t want to now. I am looking forward to work every day and every evening I am sat up thinking what new things we can do in training.” (more…)
Photos: Gene Blevins – Hoganphotos/Golden Boy Promotions
Former world champion Chad Dawson poses with his assistant trainer and former world champion Winky Wright Monday during a media workout in preparation for Dawson’s world title challenge against WBC light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Saturday.
“We have a great game plan. I don’t see Bernard getting past it,” said Dawson. “I am excited for Saturday night. I have been waiting for this. I am ready to show the world I am still ‘Bad’ Chad Dawson. I don’t think this [Hopkins] is more of a challenge than Pascal. Pascal fell into Bernard Hopkins’ game plan. He fell right into it. Everyone knows Pascal is a four-round fighter. I was looking for a knockout victory against Pascal. He didn’t really beat me. I beat myself.” Click here for more comments…
By Joe Koizumi
WBC #8/WBA #8 Japanese super-bantam champ Masaaki Serie (20-4, 9 KOs), 121.5, kept his national belt as he badly dropped game challenger Hayato Hashimoto (12-2-1, 2 KOs), 121.5, twice in the second, battered him from all angles and finally halted him at 0:17 of the sixth round on Monday in Tokyo, Japan. Serie, making his fifth defense, displayed his tricky style to confuse Hashimoto, who made a good start by pinning the champ with a barrage of punches to the ropes in the opening session. The champ, in round two, nailed him to the ropes and exploded a wicked right, decking him to the canvas. Serie’s follow-up combo again floored him for another mandatory eight count. Since then, it became such a lopsided slaughter that the referee Uratani mercifully called a halt to save the loser from further punishment.
In only his third professional bout, unbeaten super-fly prospect Yohei Tobe (3-0, 2 KOs), 115.75, impressively defeated formerly two-time world challenger and ex-OPBF ruler Kohei Kono (25-7, 9 KOs), 115.75, by a unanimous decision (78-75, 77-75 and 77-76) over eight. The taller ex-amateur youngster, six years his junior at 24, utilized his faster footwork to avert Kono’s infighting tactics to score with solid uppercuts to the onrushing opponent. Tobe had dispatched Korean champ Jinki Jun in the first round of his pro debut last February, and finished ex-WBC two-time champ Wandee Singwancha in two quick rounds this June. Tobe is worth watching.
Promoter: B-Tight Promotions.
By Phil Doherty
There are two schools of thought regarding which Caribbean island nation produces the best boxers in the world. One group enthusiastically claims the answer lies obviously a mere ninety miles from Florida’s shores in Cuba. The other proudly responds that honor belongs to the US territory of Puerto Rico. However one looks at it, Dream Team Boxing Promotion’s high-profile signings this past weekend in Puerto Rico demonstrate a significant power shift for the upstart team. The Miami-based promotional powerhouse headed by Cuban-American promoters Carlos Rodriguez and Henry Rivalta started their dream with a core group of talented young Cuban prospects including heavyweight Luis “El Mercedes” Ortiz, Richard “El Tigre” Abril and Yoandris “El Niño” Salinas. Dream Team spread the wealth with subsequent acquisitions including Dominican-born world-ranked welterweight Ed “The Lion” Paredes and Carlos “Chocorroncito” Buitrago of Nicaragua. For more details and photos click here…
Craig Taffaro (President of the Saint Bernard Parish) and Melissa Jurisich (the Director of the Sigur Center) purchase the first ticket for Friday’s “Brawlin in Da Parish” event from promoter Les Bonano. Bonano and The Fight Guys return to St. Bernard Parish at the Sigur Center in Chalmette, Louisiana this Friday with “Brawlin in Da Parish” featuring a heavyweight battle royale with the 6′ 5″ 270 pound-plus Bobby “Bo-Bo” O’Bannon (10-4, 10 KOs) going to war with the 6′ 7″ 265 pound-plus Raphael “The Cajun Connection” Pedro (20-9-1, 14 KOs) … (more…)
Connecticut Boxing Hall of Fame (CBHOF) founder and president Glenn S. Feldman will be one of seven inductees to be honored at the 7th CBHOF gala induction dinner Saturday, October 29th in the Uncas Ballroom at Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville. (more…)
The biggest fight this year in women’s boxing, pitting two of the top three welters in the world against each other, is set for Dec. 2 at Route 66 west of Albuquerque.
Billed as “World Dominance,” the top female pound-for-pound fighter in the world, Holly Holm (30-1-3, 9 KOs) will fight for the vacant IBA and WBAN 147-pound belt against WIBA welter champ Anne Sophie Mathis (24-1, 21 KOs), of France. (more…)
Zeferino Entertainment’s first installment of the “Battle at the Ballpark” series, at El Paso’s Cohen Stadium, is set for Saturday, Oct. 15, after a rocky start with the main event. After heavyweight David Rodriguez refused a series of opponents by his promoter and the WBC nixed a Fecombox title defense against journeyman Byron Polley, who’d dropped four of his last five bouts, the unbeaten, still-unproven-as-a-contender heavyweight was replaced by Hector Camacho, Jr., who was, in turn, replaced with El Paso’s Jennifer Han. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
On Monday in Panama City a Purse Bid ordered by the WBA Championship Committee took place for fights between super bantamweight champion Rico Ramos and the interim champ Guillermo Rigondeaux, as well as welterweight champ Vyacheslav Senchenko and Brad Solomon.
The Senchenko-Solomon fight will be promoted by Union Boxing Promotion, tendering an bid of $1,100,000. The Heavyweight Factory offered 200,000. Probable date will be January or February 2012 in Ukraine.
Top Rank made the only offer for the showdown between Guillermo Rigondeaux and Rico Ramos, offering $126,000. Possible dates are December 17 in Oklahoma or Dallas, or January 10 in Miami or Las Vegas.
The October 27 edition of Golden Boy Promotions’ “Fight Night Club” at L.A. LIVE’s Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles will be a special Halloween “Fright Night Club” card featuring unbeaten prospects in jr middleweight Alfonso Blanco (6-0, 2 KOs) and welterweight Ernesto Ocon (4-0, 2 KOs). Opponents for Blanco, Ocon and a full undercard will be announced shortly.
Former top contender Hector Camacho Jr. will face off on December 17th against former WBA welterweight champion Andrew ‘Six Heads’ Lewis at the Princess Hotel and Casino in Georgetown, Guyana. With president of the Guyana Boxing Board of Control (GBBC) Peter Abdool and Sales Manager of Princess Hotel and Casino Nadine Higgs as witnesses, both Lewis and Alfred affixed their signatures to the respective contract to honour the date. Camacho remotely from New York City emailed a photograph of himself signing the contract. The event is being promoted by Seon Bristol of Briso Promotions. (more…)
Local hero Alexander Petkovic (40-4-4) will take on Cisse Salif (24-17-2) for the vacant WBA international heavyweight championship this Friday in Obertraubling, Regensburg, Germany. Eurosport will broadcast the show promoted by ARENA Sports-Promotion in association with Petkos Boxpromotion. Petkovic, a former cruiserweight contender who lost a decision to world champion Johnny Nelson back in November 2003, is unbeaten as a heavyweight since moving up in 2007. Originally Petkovic was scheduled to face unbeaten John Napari from Ghana for the WBF intercontinental and PABA championship. But Napari didn’t get his visa in time forcing Petkovic to take the fight against Salif. (more…)
“When I get in there I make good fighters look ordinary,” said unbeaten WBO #2 rated welterweight Kell Brook, who stopped Rafal Jackiewicz in the sixth round of their world title eliminator clash on Saturday in Sheffield, England. “Jackiewicz has beaten Jan Zaveck, he’s held the European title and mixed with big names and on Saturday he didn’t hit me, I didn’t move out of second gear and could’ve finish it whenever I wanted to. I’m in that elite league now – I’m headlining sold-out hometown shows and I’ve got the sponsorship deals rolling in, only good things can happen from now on. I want Amir Khan but he doesn’t want me, it’s just a matter of time though. I keep beating whoever Eddie Hearn puts in front of me and the public want it, they’ll demand it. When I get that world title belt it’ll be a massive fight.”
Brook’s promoter Eddie Hearn said that the next move for Brook could be an outing on the undercard of stablemate Carl Froch’s Super-Middleweight unification fight and Super Six final against Andre Ward on December 17 in Atlantic City. (more…)
James DeGale is refreshed and ready to go for this Saturday night at the Liverpool Echo Arena in his European Super-Middleweight title challenge. The former British Champion takes on the tough title-holder from Poland Piotr Wilczewski who’s only lost once in 30 fights and is ranked number two by the WBO. He features as chief support to the big showdown between WBO World Light-Heavyweight Champion Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew, LIVE on BoxNation (Sky Platform Ch. 456) (more…)
At 46-years-old and as the oldest boxer to ever win a legitimate world title, light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins can be classified as many things.
But in his old age, one thing Hopkins can’t be called, at least in terms of discussing his fight on Saturday night against Chad Dawson (HBO pay-per-view, 9 PM ET) is dishonest . . . Click here for more
With the Tijuana Municipal Auditorium filled to the hilt, homegrown “Aztec Princess” Jackie Nava (25-4-3, 11 KOs) made her triumphant return to her native city as she dominated the relentless Soledad Edith “Guerrera” Matthysse (9-3-1, 1 KO) over ten rounds in the Saturday, October 8th, main event. The marathon fight card was presented by Zanfer Promotions and Top Rank and broadcast live in Mexico on the Azteca channel. After fighting to a hard earned draw and then suffering a loss in her two wars with Ana Maria Torres earlier this year, Nava earned her first win of the year with a dominant display of speed and technique against the over matched but courageous Argentinean . . . Click here for more
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.