email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Spence is ready to take on the world
- Holly Holm: The Champ Gets Her Just Due
- Boxing Buzz
- Lara destroys Zaveck, retains WBA 154lb title
- Dominguez-Vicente collide Dec 8
- DeGale on Bute fight: It will be a destruction
- Boxing coming to Historic Horse Racing Track
- Quillin: I'm here to win
- Joshua says Klitschko will beat Fury
- Granados looks to upset #1 ranked Imam Saturday
- Rodriguez wants to impress against Aquino
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Ron Jackson
Isaac Hlatshwayo makes the first defence of his IBF welterweight belt when he meets Dejan Zavec from Slovenia at the Wembley Indoor Arena on Friday night. The 33-year-old Zaveck (27-1-1nc; 15) who fights under the name of Jan Zaveck and is based in Magedeburg, Germany can be considered fortunate to receive a crack at the belt as he is only ranked at number thirteen in the latest IBF rankings. (more…)
Promoter Frank Warren today won the purse bids to stage the British Heavyweight title clash between the title holder Danny Williams and challenger Sam Sexton. The Norwich puncher is looking forward to his showdown with the ‘Old Guard’ of the domestic scene and relieving him of his position. Sexton stopped Martin Rogan in Belfast last month to retain his Commonwealth crown and now wants to add the prestigious Lonsdale belt to his collection. Williams was last in action in October in the Prizefighter tournament when he lost to Carl Baker, but was allowed to keep hold of the British title. (more…)
By Alexey Potapov
WBO/IBF/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (53-3, 47 KOs) will fight on March, 20th against WBO official challenger Eddie Chambers (35-1, 18 KOs) in Germany Fightnews.com has been informed by K2 Promotions. This fight was originally planned for December 2009, but was delayed when Wladimir suffered a hand injury that required surgery. Klitschko has already started his preparation in November for a fight against Chambers.
The family of former WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto has dismissed a sexual harassment lawsuit filed against Cotto in Puerto Rico by a former female employee as “frivolous, empty and a total fabrication.” Martha Chacon Acevedo is reportedly seeking $261,000 in damages against Cotto, whom she alleges she was fired after she rejected Cotto’s sexual advances.
WBC #3 heavyweight and Olympic gold medalist Odlanier Solis has renewed his contract with ARENA Box-Promotions for another three years. “I want to win the world title for ARENA”, adds Solis. “I turned pro to prove that I am the best boxer in the world. That is what I left my home country for. I know that I can beat any opponent in the world but I also know that a boxer needs a strong promoter to make it to the top. I am happy and proud to have the best possible promoter in my corner.” Most probably Solis will return to the ring in February 2010. “We need to get him the right opponents to push him into the mandatory position”, says Öner. “None of the world champions will face him voluntarily but very soon there will be no way to avoid fighting him.”
Former Junior Welterweight World Champion Paulie Malignaggi, Chicago Bulls Mascot Benny The Bull and former Three-Time Lightweight World Champion Juan Diaz pose on December 8, 2009 in Chicago, Illinois where Diaz and Malignaggi participated in pre-game festivities at the Chicago Bulls vs. New Jersey Nets basketball game in advance of Saturday’s fight at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago.
By Joe Koizumi
Interim champ Katsuhiko Iezumi (27-7-3, 19 KOs), 108, Japan, successfully unified the OPBF light-fly belts by winning a unanimous decision (116-112, 116-111 and 118-108) over full titlist and compatriot Yukio Wadamine (25-4-1, 19 KOs), 108, over twelve gory rounds on Tuesday in Tokyo, Japan. Wadamine was once scheduled to face Iezumi at his home turf Iizuka city this summer, but failed to fight as scheduled as he unfortunately suffered a whiplash neck injury by an auto accident just a week before. Their unification bout was rescheduled in Tokyo this time, and the hometowner Iezumi floored the exclusive jabber twice in the opening session to take the initiative. After the eighth, the open scoring system indicated that Iezumi was lopsidedly leading on points: 80-70 and 78-72 twice. Iezumi, however, suddenly became fading because of running out of gas and had a very narrow escape from Wadamine’s desperate retaliation in the tenth. However, Iezumi, in the final stanza, regained his zip, moving to-and-fro and countering the monotonous stalker to last the last three minutes down the stretch. Promoter: Flash Akabane Promotions.
On November 27th Delvin Rodriguez took on Rafel Jackiewicz in an official welterweight IBF title eliminator in Poland, the home country of Jackiewicz. Rodriguez put on a dominating performance but Jackiewicz was awarded a unanimous decision with the scores of 116-112, 115- 112 and 114-112. “After watching the fight we believe it is crystal clear that anyone who watches this fight knows who the winner truly is,” stated Joe DeGuardia, CEO of Star Boxing, and promoter of Rodriguez. “Hopefully the IBF will closely examine the footage, and grant Delvin a rematch.” (more…)
The Everlast N.Y. graphic shirt is the first piece in an ongoing collaboration with classic sporting brand No Mas celebrating Everlast’s storied 100 year anniversary. This shirt was worn by Floyd Patterson in 1965 as he trained in Brooklyn, NY to regain the heavyweight crown. Get your shirt today! Click here to order
By Brett Bonetti
IBO World Cruiserweight Champion Danny “The Green Machine” Green received a hero’s welcome in his hometown of Perth, Western Australia today. Green was given a full civic reception in the heart of Perth City today, where over 2,500 fans cheered on as Green, holding his world championship belt thanked all the WA community for their support following last week’s first round annihilation of Roy Jones Jr. Green also revealed that he personally phoned American boxing legend Bernard Hopkins as he plans another mega superfight for Australia. Green said the message he left on Hopkins’ voicemail was ”Bernard, you’ve said a lot of things, mate. You’re a legend, now let’s get it on. Let’s do it!” (more…)
WBA world heavyweight champion David ‘The Hayemaker’ Haye, who backed out of a fight with Vitali Klitschko earlier this year, has told Klitschko to ditch the voluntary contenders and unify the sport’s marquee division. The elder Klitschko brother puts his WBC belt on the line against American Kevin Johnson in Berne, Switzerland this coming Saturday and Haye, fresh off his own title triumph, will be a keen observer. “I’ll be watching the fight, but only because I have an interest in meeting Vitali next year,” said Haye, who defeated Nikolai Valuev in November to lift his WBA crown. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
World super middleweight contender Sakio Bika talks to Fightnews about Danny Green’s big win over Roy Jones Jr., groundbreaking the “Super Six” tournament and his future plans. (more…)
The full list of 2010 inductees in the International Boxing Hall of Fame are light flyweight champion Jung-Koo Chang (South Korea), featherweight champion Danny “Little Red” Lopez (USA), manager Shelly Finkel (USA), referee/commissioner Larry Hazzard (USA), promoter Wilfried Sauerland (Germany), matchmaker Bruce Trampler (USA) and journalist Ed Schuyler (USA). Posthumous honorees are light heavyweight Lloyd Marshall, featherweight champion Young Corbett II, lightweight champion Rocky Kansas and light heavyweight/heavyweight contender Billy Miske, broadcaster Howard Cosell and Paddington Tom Jones. Hall of Fame Induction Weekend is June 10-13th in Canastota, NY.
In 1998, two of the United States’ greatest amateur wrestlers – Randy “The Natural” Couture and Mark “The Hammer” Coleman – were scheduled to meet in a relatively new proving ground called the Ultimate Fighting Championship. That mixed martial arts bout at UFC 17 never happened due to injury, but on Saturday, February 6th, nearly 12 years and six UFC championships later, Couture and Coleman finally square off at UFC 109: Relentless, presented by Bud Light and live on pay-per-view from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nev., for a colossal meeting of Hall of Famers over a decade in the making. (more…)
Report by Chris Cozzone
Promoter Gary Shaw officially announced the New Mexico’s first fight card of 2010 at the Downs in Albuquerque Monday afternoon. The card, to take place Jan. 29 at Tingley Coliseum in Albuquerque, will be aired by Showtime’s ShoBox and feature three televised bouts.
In the main event, undefeated Argentinean Luis Carlos Abregu (28-0, 23 KOs) will take on Richard Gutierrez (24-3-1, 14 KOs), of Colombia in a ten-round welterweight bout . . . click here for more
TKO Boxing Promotions produced not only the sizzle but the steak at a news conference luncheon today at Gallagher’s Steak House in midtown Manhattan. Partners Chet Koerner and Chris Middendorf, President and CEO of TKO Boxing Promotions, respectively, announced the signing of amateur welterweight standout Mikael Zewski who will be making his professional debut in early 2010. (more…)
Spike TV’s telecast of “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights” live finale on Saturday, December 5 was the most watched final episode in the 10 seasons of the TUF franchise, peaking with 5.2 million viewers and a 5.9 rating with Men 18-34 for the Kimbo Slice-Houston Alexander fight. The over 5 million viewers were the most to watch a live UFC fight in 2009. (more…)
By Ricardo Conde
WBO featherweight champion Steven Luevano (37-1-1, 15 KOs) of La Puente, CA, trained by former junior lightweight champion Robert Garcia at the famed La Colonia Boxing Gym in Oxnard, CA, will be making his sixth title defense on January 23rd at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY against current WBO junior featherweight champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez (27-0, 24 KOs) of Puerto Rico, which will be shown live on HBO. Luevano’s last title defense was against Bernabe Concepcion back in August in a bout which Luevano was dominating when Concepcion hit Luevano after the bell to end round seven and resulted in a win by disqualification for Luevano. Click here for more photos…
The full lineup has been announced for Saturday’s fight card at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago featuring the rematch between jr welterweights Juan “Baby Bull” Diaz and Paulie “Magic Man” Malignaggi plus welterweights “Vicious” Victor Ortiz and Antonio “Tono” Diaz. (more…)
Top Rank’s chief matchmaker Bruce Trampler is going into the Hall of Fame. Edward Brophy, executive director of the International Hall of Fame in Canastota, N.Y., made the announcement today. The induction ceremony is scheduled during the June 10-13, 2010 weekend. Trampler will join three others from Top Rank — Bob Arum, matchmaker Teddy Brenner and publicist Irving Rudd. (more…)
The International Boxing Hall of Fame and Museum has announced that German boxing promoter Wilfried Sauerland has been elected into the Hall of Fame. “We’re very excited for Wilfried Sauerland and the Hall of Fame is very much looking forward to honoring his many achievements with induction into the Hall of Fame,” said Executive Director Edward Brophy. “His accomplishments will be recognized during the annual Hall of Fame Induction Weekend set for June 10-13th.” (more…)
Juan Manuel Marquez, Marcos René Maidana, Victor Ortiz and Juan Diaz have been mentioned as possible targets for Amir Khan in his expected American invasion.
Following his KO loss to David Tua in the “New Zealand Fight of the Century,” heavyweight Shane Cameron is looking revive his career with a schedule of five fights in 2010.
WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik’s injured left hand is said to currently be at 95%. The staph infection is healed, however he hasn’t regained full flexibility in his left index finger.
Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum celebrates his 78th birthday today. Arum started Top Rank in 1966 and hasn’t looked back since. Happy birthday to Bob from everyone at Fightnews!
Unbeaten #1 rated middleweight Gennady Golovkin (18-0, 15 KOs) has issued a statement after being named mandatory challenger for WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm. “When I found out that I’ve been named by the WBA as the official mandatory challenger of Felix Sturm, I immediately and full of pride told everyone “I’m ready!” I absolutely want to get this world title. Felix has said that I’m not ready yet, but I’ll show him who the true champion is. With amateur world champion Matvey Korobov, “Super Six” boxer Andre Dirrell and current IBF world champion Lucian Bute, I’ve already defeated very good people and I’ll also beat Sturm. Therefore, I believe that Felix will chicken out and give up his world championship belt!“
The proposed March 13 Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather superfight could end up in an NFL football stadium instead of Las Vegas, the normal home of megafights. The new Dallas Cowboys Stadium, the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans and the Georgia Dome in Atlanta are in the running. It has been agreed that the fight will be for Pacman’s WBO welterweight title and both fighters will wear 8-ounce gloves from the manufacturer of their choice.
Diego Sanchez has been telling the world that he is a future champion in wait since the days of the inaugural season of The Ultimate Fighter. Actually, he has also proclaimed on several occasions that he would go down as one of the greatest mixed martial artists in history when it is all said and done, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves just yet. . . . Click here for more by Michael DiSanto, UFC.com
Diary entry Monday, Dec. 7
“Today was a big day here in Berne for me. Started it with my last day of sparring. I was sharp, crisp, focused and in a good place, my body is reacting exactly the way that I need it to so I am good to go.
“I am in the best shape of my life. I had my press conference with Vitali today and got a chance to see him face to face one more time before the weigh-in on Friday.
“He seemed to be in a good mood but all of that is going to change on Saturday when I take the WBC title from him. Its all business from here on out. (more…)
WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko and unbeaten challenger Kevin Johnson faced off at Monday’s press conference in advance of their showdown on Saturday night at the Postfinance Arena in Bern, Switzerland.
Johnson stated no one can outbox him. “The whole world will be shocked when I’ve finished Vitali Klitschko in nine rounds. There are only two people in this world who could defeat me. This would have been former world heavyweight champions Larry Holmes and Muhammad Ali.” Johnson dedicated the fight to his former trainer Dave Horn who passed away a few months ago.
Klitschko, a heavy betting favorite, advised Johnson, “You should give me ten percent of your purse, so that I can pay the doctor’s bills for you after the fight.” His trainer Fritz Sdunek said there would be no surprises. “Vitali has gone more than 100 sparring rounds in preparation,” he stated. “He’s physically and mentally in top form. If Kevin Johnson does what he promises, at least the fight will go the full twelve rounds.” Click here for more photos…
Reigning WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch will return in April for his next Super Six outing against Danish superstar Mikkel Kessler in April. “We’ve confirmed a date of April 17th for the Kessler fight,” revealed Froch’s promoter Mick Hennessy. “It will take place in Denmark and will be on at around 10pm in the evening U.K. time which is great news for British fight fans. It’s going to be an absolutely massive event and it should attract a huge audience. It’s an incredible fight between two of the World’s best and most exciting fighters. Carl proved with that sensational KO over Jermain Taylor that he can go into the lions den and beat the very best in the World and I’ve no doubt he’ll prove that again against Kessler.”
By Joe Koizumi
Two months have passed since the WBA 115-pound champ Nobuo Nashiro, Japan, narrowly kept his belt on a split draw with official challenger Hugo Casares, Mexico, in Japan on September 30. This reporter has been still considering rapid weight gain of Cazares from 114 pounds at the weigh-in to 128 just before the title bout. Cazares had predicted at the press conference that he would climb up to the squared circle at 130 to overpower the defending champ Nashiro, and we then laughed at his big mouth. Big wasn’t only his mouth but his stomach. The Mexican, nicknamed “Increible”, was so incredible that he actually scaled at 128, only two pounds short of his prediction. He gained no less than fourteen pounds in one night. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero & Jhonny Gonzalez
The possibility exists that WBA executive vice president Gilberto Jesus Mendoza and WBC lightweight world champion Edwin Valero could try to patch up their differences. Sources near to both parties have indicated there is hope that they will resolve their differences and begin a new history. “I want to meet with Valero. I believe that we should speak about our differences,” said Mendoza Jr., who guided his Venezuelan compatriot to his first world title before a their relationship broke down. “It was truly a friendship. He’s now a stellar WBC champion, but the WBA doors are open. If it Valero believes his future is in the WBA, he will be welcome.”
By Alexey Sukachev
After a tedious November with the only notable show at the end of the month in Samara, Russian boxing will forge into the lead and close this year big with a variety of interesting competitions in December. Four relatively sound cards and two local events will be promoted in four cities, including three nights of boxing in Moscow; several well-known ex-Soviet fighters will take their parts part there, making it one of the most active stints on the Russian pugilistic scene in 2009. (more…)
World Extreme Cagefighting® proudly confirms the remaining bouts of a loaded fight card headed to the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, NV on Dec. 19. In addition to Cerrone vs. Ratcliff, Njokuani vs. Horodecki, and Benavidez vs. Yahya, WEC is pleased to announce seven other quality bouts. (more…)
Report by Chris Cozzone
After a weekend of endless commentary on the Web, talk of suspensions and frame-ups, handwraps, extortion and violations made by, both, fighters and commission, new information sheds light on Friday night’s fiasco at the Isleta Resort & Casino in Albuquerque. (more…)
By Gary “Digital” Williams
After just 12 bouts, Eldersburg, MD light heavyweight prospect Mark “TNT” Tucker snared a regional title. In his 13th contest, Tucker will make the first defense of his USBO light heavyweight title when he faces veteran George “El Gallo” Armenta on Friday, December 11 at the Shipley Arena in Westminster, MD. The undefeated, 22-year-old Tucker (12-0, 7 KOs) won the USBO title with a 10 round unanimous decision over Jim Strohl in front of a packed house at the Shipley Arena on September 25. Tucker is facing the come-backing Armenta of Silver Spring, MD (13-4, 11 KOs) who returned to the ring after an almost five-year absence (due to promotional snafus) and scored a fourth-round TKO over William Johnson on August 27 in Hagerstown, MD. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.