firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
Photos: Jane Phillips/Premier Boxing Champions Welterweight olympian Yordenis Ugas (17-3, 8 KOs) scored a fourth round TKO over previously unbeaten rising prospect Bryant ...
- Photo of the day
- Braehmer-Cleverly final press conference
- Boxing Buzz
- PBC at the Crossroads
- Lonergan: Parker is in a perfect position
- Yordenis Ugas brutalizes previously unbeaten Bryant Perrella
- Pacquiao-Vargas Undercard presser pics
- Theophane headlines Oct 8 in Las Vegas
- New opponent for Hanzel Martinez
- Arum: Boxing will be bigger than it's ever been
- Oscar Valdez: I worked hard to get my belt and I intend to keep it for a long time
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Enzo Maccarinelli says he feels like a fresh fighter now he has won the European cruiserweight title. And the big punching Welshman is looking forward to knocking out challenger Alexander Frenkel on September 18 at the LG Arena, Birmingham. (more…)
Boxing fans, get ready to climb “Through the Ropes” with the #1 boxing news radio show hosted by award winning boxing writer Marc Lichtenfeld! This week’s guests are Jr. Welterweight champ Timothy Bradley and author/Compubox counter Lee Groves. Call or email your questions to email@example.com. Through The Ropes airs live coast to coast on Thursday nights from 9:00 – 10:00 ET on 75 affiliates of the Sports Byline USA Broadcast Network, including great radio stations like KSHP 1400 AM in Las Vegas and WNSR 560 AM in Nashville. The one-hour show will also be heard on American Forces Network, Sportsbyline.com and Fightnews.com. Fightnews readers can listen live by clicking here tonight at 9PM ET.
Photos by Universum Box-Promotion
Universum trainer Magomed Schaburow recently worked his three boxers Alexander Alekseev, Dimitri Sartison and Eddy Gutknecht for 18 days in the mountains of Austria. “We were in the Ötztal, where I prepared the boys for the sparring phase and the fights,” said Schaburow. “Everybody has improved. I am very satisfied and glad that we did the training camp.” (more…)
Pugnacious Promotions will host the annual “Night of Future Champions” July 30th at the Saratoga Springs City Center, Saratoga Springs, New York. In two feature fights, undefeated lightweight prospect Mike Faragon (11-0, 5 KOs) takes another step forward in an eight-rounder against Eddie Soto (12-1, 4 KOs); while world-ranked female featherweight Maureen Shea (14-2, 8 KOs) faces rugged veteran Liliana Martinez (8-10, 4 KOs) in a six-round fight for an NABF title. The two feature bouts will top off a card of pro prelims and several amateur bouts at the historic Saratoga thoroughbred horse track.
“I am thrilled to have Maureen Shea and Mike Faragon as feature fights on the July 30th card in Saratoga” said promoter Lisa Elovich. “Maureen’s reputation precedes her as the real ‘million dollar baby’ and Mike is an undefeated young prospect and local fan favorite with a bright future. Fans are chomping at the bit to see these two fights.” (more…)
El Paso’s Antonio Escalante (23-2, 14 KOs) will be facing veteran Edel Ruiz (34-22-4, 25 KOs), of Los Mochis, Mexico, Aug. 6, it was announced today at a press conference held at the Camino Real Hotel. The card, promoted by Golden Boy and televised on Telefutura, will take place at the Don Haskins Center in El Paso. Escalante was scheduled to fight last month but was sidetracked by an injury. Ruiz is on a four-bout win streak, TKOing former champ Clarence “Bones” Adams in his last outing.
HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg continued his verbal assault on the Klitschkos today. Greenburg was quoted by the LA Times as saying he doesn’t feel the September 11th heavyweight championship fight between world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin “registers” with the American public. Many knowledgable boxing people feel the unbeaten Olympic gold medalist Povetin (19-0, 14 KOs), who is training for the fight in New Jersey with Teddy Atlas, is one of Klitschko’s toughest challengers. What do you think?
He’s not saying whether or not he’ll fight Manny Pacquiao yet, but Floyd “Money” Mayweather plans to hold a scavenger hunt over Twitter starting at 5PM today. Grand prize is a trip to Vegas to meet Floyd. Floyd’s Twitter account is @floydmayweather.
Happy Birthday to former world champion Wayne McCullough who hits the big 4-0 today.
The reason given for lightweight contender Vicente Escobedo’s withdrawal from Friday night’s Telefutura bout against Raymundo Beltran has been announced as a viral infection.
Photos by Tom Casino/SHOWTIME
“Like Mexican fighters, Filipinos are also brave,” stated WBO featherweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez in advance of Saturday’s SHOWTIME-televised title defense against Bernabe Concepcion at the Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot in San Juan, Puerto Rico. “I have respect for Concepcion, but we’ll resolve the matter in the ring. He throws punches from all angles Pacquiao-style, but Concepcion isn’t Pacquiao.” (more…)
Golden Boy Promotions has announced that Hall of Fame promoter and matchmaker Don Chargin will renew his affiliation with Golden Boy Promotions as a special consultant and advisor effective immediately. “I am thrilled to have Don back at Golden Boy,” said Golden Boy Promotions CEO, Richard Schaefer. “His advice and guidance has been and will continue to be very valuable to us. His Hall of Fame credentials and track record speak for themselves. Golden Boy has recently expanded its network and venue deals and as a result has started to sign some of the most promising young fighters and Don will be involved on a daily basis in the guidance and development of these young fighters’ careers. His knowledge and expertise in this industry will assist in building the younger generation of fighters of today into the future champions of tomorrow.” (more…)
After getting cut from his high school freshman basketball team, Mike Jones turned his full attention to boxing, and he’s been a one-sport guy ever since. Philadelphia’s welterweight prospect Jones recently answered six questions in anticipation of his fight against Irving Garcia, a 12-round main event bout on ShoBox: The New Generation on Friday, July 9, live on SHOWTIME ® (11 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast) from the ballroom at the Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall. (more…)
By Rafael Soto/Zanfer
If the boxers stay on course this Saturday night in Puerto Rico should a night of fireworks as all four combatants in the two main fights are willing to put on a show any time they step into the ring and even if the champions Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez and Nonito “The Flilipino Flash” Donarie are favorite the challenger are looking to spoil their plans. For more details and photos click here…
By Robert Coster
“A gold mine on legs,” is what Jeff Ellis called him. “A box office magnet,” said by Rodney Berman. “A great young prospect with a killer left hook,” from Brian Mitchell. These are some of the praises being showered on South Africa’s hottest boxing prospect of the moment: 21-year-old crowd pleaser Tommy “Gun” Oosthuizen (11-0, 8 KOs), the IBO youth super middleweight and Pan African champion. The 6’4 southpaw is being hailed by the pundits and movers and shakers of South African boxing as a young man on his way to fistic stardom. (more…)
In a crossroads fight, former ‘Contender’ television series participant Ahmad ‘Babyface’ Kaddour (22-2-1, 9 KOs) will meet former Olympic bronze medalist Terrence Cauthen (35-6, 9 KOs). The main event bout will take at the Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, Delaware on August 27th.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBA minimumweight world champion Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez (25-0, 21 KOs) has received the sad news that his defense against Sammy Gutierrez (24-5-1, 15 KOs) scheduled for July 17 at Palenque Caliente Racetrack in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico is off. The fight would have been Gonzalez’ fourth defense and third in Mexico. Gonzalez, who is co-promoted by PRODESA and Teiken Boxing, had gone through a hard preparation for this fight. He is now considering a move to light flyweight.
Promoter Frank Maloney has signed a new two year contract with Sky Sports. Maloney and Sky have enjoyed a successful working partnership for nearly 20 years and the new deal starts in September. All future Maloney shows will be screened live on Saturday night’s and he said: “I am delighted to continue my relationship with Sky. They have a top class boxing team from top to bottom and you would go a long way to find a more professional bunch. It is a massive boost for boxing in general that they have decided to move our sport from Friday to Saturday and proves how committed they are.” Maloney has developed a heap of world champions during his time with Sky including former undisputed world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, Scott Harrison, David Haye and Paul Ingle. With Jason Booth and Rendall Munroe primed for world title challenges in the autumn, Maloney is confident that list will grow before the end of the year.
Jason Booth’s challenge for Steve Molitor’s for the IBF world super-bantamweight title has been rescheduled for Saturday September 11. The Nottingham star (35-5) will meet the Canadian (32-1) at Rainton Meadows Arena, Houghton-Le-Spring in Frank Maloney’s first show of the new season. The pair were due to meet later this month, but Molitor suffered a stress fracture to his left shin which left him sidelined. (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Mikey Schultz faces the toughest test of his boxing career when meets Tineyi Maridzo from Zimbabwe in a return match for the WBO Africa super middleweight title at the Wembley Indoor Arena in Johannesburg on Thursday night. On November 20 last year Schultz 15-1; 10 was stopped in 86 seconds by the underdog Maridzo 4-6; 3 in a match for the interim title. Maridzo has since been elevated to full WBO Africa super-middleweight champion status and will now be making his first defense. (more…)
Ringside Report: David Robinett
Photos: Laura De la Torre
One hundred years ago this weekend, in Reno, Nevada, heavyweights Jack Johnson and James Jeffries met in the notorious “Fight of the Century,” where undefeated former heavyweight champion Jeffries came out of retirement to challenge reigning heavyweight champion Johnson. Flash forward a century and it was former flyweight world champions Ulises “Archie” Solis and Eric Ortiz taking center stage. (More)
Promoter Bob Arum said Manny Pacquiao has agreed to the demands of the Floyd Mayweather camp regarding random drug testing and now the ball is in Floyd’s court as to whether the fight is on or off. A possible issiue for Floyd is legal problems his uncle/trainer Roger Mayweather is facing that could disrupt Floyd’s training camp.
Room rates at the MGM Grand Resort in Las Vegas, as well as nearby properties, have been increased for the weekend of November 13 in anticipation of Pacquiao-Mayweather being finalized.
Antonio Margarito will be in Las Vegas on Friday appearing before the Nevada State Athletic Commisssion in hopes of being granted a license to box in the state. He has not been licensed in the United States since being suspended by the California Commission in early 2009.
Featherweight contender Antonio Escalante will return on August 6 against an opponent to be named at the Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas.
By Karl Freitag
The David Haye camp has stated that Haye does want to fight Wladimir, but they cannot accept certain “financial details.” What are those details? “The offer was 50%/50%, no options,” Wladimir Klitschko advisor Shelly Finkel confirmed to Fightnews.com. Finkel added that he hasn’t heard from David Haye’s manager Adam Booth in three weeks after initially speaking to him half-a-dozen times.
It seems the main hang-up was that the Haye camp wanted to keep 100% of the UK TV revenue and give Wladimir 100% of the German TV revenue. The Klitschko Camp wanted to put all the TV money in one pot and split it 50/50%, which they consider more than fair since Wladimir would be risking three belts to Haye’s one, and Wlad is widely considered to be the world’s true heavyweight champion.
Wladimir will now defend his belts against Alexander Povetkin on September 11 in Frankfurt, Germany, while Haye is expected to face Audley Harrison in an all-British affair in November.
Word is that heavyweights Cristobal Arreola and Manuel Quezada will headline an ESPN2 Friday Night Fights card on August 13 at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California. Both fighters, who campaign out of the Goossen Tutor stable, are looking to rebound from upset losses.
According to the David Haye camp, the reason a fight with Wladimir Klitschko hasn’t materialized is excessive financial demands of the Klitschkos.
Only limited seats are remaining for Friday night’s card presented by Classic Entertainment & Sports at the Twin River Event Center in Lincoln, R.I. The main event pits “Hammerin'” Hank Lundy (18-0-1, 10 KOs) against John “The Hammer” Molina (20-1, 16 KOs) in a 10-round bout for Lundy’s NABO lightweight title.
WBA super lightweight champion Amir Khan has been been given the all clear after having been hospitalized with a high fever. It was feared Khan might have caught malaria while vacationing in Africa.
Video: Joel A. Colón/PR Best
WBO featherweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez shows his stuff in advance of Saturday’s night’s SHOWTIME-televised showdown against Bernabe Concepcion on Saturday night in Puerto Rico.
Saturday’s Vicente Escobedo vs. Raymundo Beltran fight on Telefutura is off. The new main event will be feature former Cuban Olympian Erislandy Lara (11-0, 6 KOs) against Puerto Rican power puncher William Correa (8-3, 8 KOs) in a ten rounder. The six round co-feature is unbeaten jr featherweight Ricky Lopez (7-0, 6 KOs) against dangerous Derrick Wilson (6-1-2, 2 KOs). The event takes place at the Softball Country Complex in Denver, Colorado.
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Ukraine born and Australian based welterweight, Victor Chermous (8-1, 4 KOs) will defend the NSW State title against Chad Roy Naidu (2-9-3, 1 KO) over eight rounds at the Revesby Worker Club, Revesby, Sydney, NSW, Australia on Friday. Chermous has been based in Australia for several years but was born in Vinitza, Ukraine. He has previously held the NSW light middleweight title. Also in action will be light middleweight star John Krishna (4-0-1) and crowd pleasing 140 pounder Ruben Kennedy (5-5, 1 KO) in undercard bouts. The promoter is former Australian lightweight and welterweight contender Paul Nasari of Neutral Corner promotions.
By Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
Former WBC flyweight challenger Xiong Zhao Zhong (13-3-1, 9 KOs) will be in action on Friday when he will clash with Yasuaki Sato (8-8-2, 2 KOs) over twelve rounds at the Expo Hotel in Kunming in China with the WBC Asian Boxing Council juniorr flyweight title up for grabs. Zhong dropped a twelve round decision to Daisuke Naito in a WBC flyweight title bout in May 2009 after having the champion on the canvas in round six. (more…)
Guy Clifton, who penned the wonderful “Dempsey in Nevada” book a few years ago, has teamed with fellow Reno Gazette-Journal staffer Ray Hagar (who you may remember as the sportswriter that Yankees manager Billy Martin notoriously punched!) to write a history of the Jack Johnson vs. Jim Jeffries “Fight of the Century” that took place in Reno–100 years ago–on July 4, 1910.
If you couldn’t get enough of the history over the anniversary weekend, “Johnson-Jeffries: Dateline Reno” debuted last week and is an easy and informative read that includes profiles on Johnson, Jeffries, promoter Tex Rickard and Nevada Gov. Denver Dickerson–the man who gave the fight a home after California banned it. (more…)
Universum Box-Promotion and Felix Sturm have come to a settlement of the lawsuit and will amicably go our separate ways. Both sides have agreed to keep the details of the settlement confidential. Universum wishes Felix Sturm all the best for the future.
As unbeaten Mike Jones, of Philadelphia, PA, who is 21-0, 17 K0s, and ranked as high as No. 2 welterweight in the world by the WBO behind champion Manny Pacquiao, prepares to defend his NABA and NABO titles against Puerto Rico’s Irving Garcia (17-4-3, 8 KOs) on July 9 at Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall, he has had his best-ever training camp. (more…)
WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm has bought out his contract with Universum Box-Promotion. “I’m now a free man,” declared Sturm after a Hamburg court ruled Sturm could pay $1.2 million (950,000 euros) and go his separate way. Sturm is expected to return to the ring on September 4 at the Lanxess Arena (formerly known as Kölnarena) in Cologne, Germany against an opponent to be named.
IBF mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin (19-0, 14 KOs) is currently training in New Jersey with Teddy Atlas. Word is he has ten sparring partners. At the end of the month, Team Povetkin will shift operations to Europe. Still nothing officially announced, but the highly anticipated Klitschko-Povetkin fight is expected to take place on September 11th at the 55,000-seat Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt, home of Eintracht Frankfurt.
On Saturday July 17th at the Tropicana Casino and Resort, Philadelphia’s up and coming welterweight prospect, Raymond “Tito” Serrano (12-0, 6KO’s) will look to continue on his path up the contender ranks when he takes on Ghana’s Ayi Bruce (6-2, 4KO’s). Serrano-Bruce is scheduled for eight rounds, and will be one of the co-featured bouts of the evening. The card, being presented by Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing, and billed as T-N-T at the Tropicana, will feature WBO #2 rated heavyweight David Tua (51-3-1, 43KO’s) taking on Monte Barrett (34-9, 20KO’s) in the main event. Other fights will be announced.
This past Friday night boxing fans were treated to the network broadcast debut of top junior welterweight prospect, Joseph Elegele on ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights from the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California.
Fighting out of Melbourne, Florida, Elegele faced off against William Walton of Salt Lake City, Utah in the scheduled six rounder.
With his six foot frame and rangy southpaw stance, Elegele was able to control the action and use his bazooka like jab to keep the overly aggressive Walton at bay throughout the first two rounds.
Although tagged in the first by a left hand from Walton, Elegele quickly regained form and continued his assault against Walton, dropping him hard with a left hand that ended the second round. (more…)
WBO #1 rated welterweight Kell Brook (21-0, 14 KOs) says fight fans will see a special performance when he takes on Michael Jennings – inspired by a fellow Sheffield fighter. Brook has fought just once this year because of injury, and has seen his clash with Jennings postponed three times. But now the former British champion finally gets his man on September 18 at the LG Arena, Birmingham on Frank Warren’s ‘Magnificent Seven’ PPV event. And Brook says he will halt former world title challenger Jennings in a manner which will bring back memories of close friend and British great Naseem Hamed. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.