email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Santillan still unbeaten
- UFC 179 Study Guide
- Brähmer opponent named: Pawel Glazewski
- Perez retains WBA interim lightweight belt
- Rodriguez defeats Rodriguez
- Fight for Water 3 Weights
- Weights from Panama
- UFC 179 at the scales
- Oscar to officially announce Dec 6 card
- "Fights at the Fitz" returns this Saturday
- Former European champ Pat Barrett to promote first boxing show
A WBC super lightweight eliminator between WBC #1 rated Viktor Postol (25-0, 10 KOs) and #2 rated Selcuk Aydin (26-2, 19 KOs) has been added to the May 17 HBO telecast featuring Juan Manuel Marquez against Mike Alvarado at the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood, Calif. The winner will be mandatory challenger for WBC/WBA champion Danny Garcia. “This is Selcuk’s big chance to get back to the top,” said promoter Ahmet Öner. “If he beats Postol, he gets Garcia. But that’s a very hard piece of work and certainly a high-class fight.”
Former two-weight world champion Ricky Burns (36-3-1, 11 KOs) is gunning for a return to winning ways on June 27 at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow, Scotland. Burns will face unbeaten Montenegrin Dejan Zlaticanin (18-0, 13 KOs) after the WBC approved the fight for the International lightweight title and as an official eliminator for the world title. Zlaticanin is rated WBC #9, while Burns is currently unrated by the WBC.
Heavyweight David Price (17-2, 15 KOs) faces Yaroslav Zavorotnyi (16-6, 14 KOs) in a ten-rounder on June 7 in Schwerin, Germany. The bout will be the co-feature to WBA light heavyweight champion Jurgen Braehmer’s defense against TBA.
“I feel like I have really benefitted from fighting away from home,” said Price. “There is a lot less pressure and that has given me the opportunity to express myself more in the ring. In my last fight against Pala, I was calm and relaxed, and I was able to enjoy the whole occasion. I have definitely got my mojo back. I can’t wait to get back into the mix with all the big names in the heavyweight division.”
Memorial piece on the late, great Jimmy Ellis: More
Is a $70 million payday a reality for Floyd Mayweather? More
Commentary on Amir Khan waiting around for Mayweather: More
Heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko and fiance Hayden Panettiere delay their wedding. More
Popular super middleweight Donovan “Don Da Bomb” George (25-4-2, 22 KOs) will get a shot at the vacant IBO super middleweight title on May 17, when he travels to Cartagena, Colombia, to fight Alexander Brand (22-1, 18 KOs) of Bogota, Columbia. George returned to the ring with a sixth round TKO of Troy Lowry (28-14, 17 KOs) on April 18, of this year.
“This is a tremendous opportunity for Donovan, and he deserves this shot at a world title,” said Bobby Hitz. “He works so hard everyday and it is paying off for him.”
George had been scheduled to headline Hitz Boxing’s June 20th installment of “Fight Night at Horseshoe Hammond” when this bout was presented to his team. (more…)
Report/photos by Bob Ryder
In the lobby of the fabled and newly renovated Cobo Hall, and under the shadow of the imposing statue of Joe Louis, Tony Harrison and Bronco McKart met the press to discuss their May 30th match for the UBO middleweight title. Their contest is the first of a series of fights to be held at this venerable downtown Detroit location, as announced by promoters KP Productions (George & John Kaltsas). The fighters exhibited extreme professionalism and respect for each other although both stated that folks should not misinterpret this as leading to a tame affair. Both predicted an action filled, exciting fight that they both badly want to win.
Tony Harrison: “I’ve been looking forward to this fight ever since I turned pro, being able to fight someone like Bronco McKart here in Cobo Hall. It’s hard to get mad at Bronco, he’s a great guy but come May 30th all that friendship is over. I’m coming to put on a show.”
Bronco McKart: “I’ve never trash talked any opponent throughout my whole career. I admire the way Tony carries himself in and out of the ring, he has great ability and a great future. Some see me getting steamrolled in this fight. I don’t think so. I’ve got a lot left, it will be a great fight.” (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Panamanian WBA cruiserweight world champion in recess Guillermo “Felino” Jones has made a formal request to the WBA to open the B Sample taken prior to his aborted fight with WBA cruiserweight world champion Dennis Lebedev on April 25 in Moscow. The WBA Legal Committee will now move ahead with the analysis of Jones’ second blood sample with Jones and his team present. Samples were taken and analyzed by Switzerland Swiss Laboratory for Doping Analyses for (LAD), two days before the fight, which was called off with both fighters in their dressing rooms moments before the fight due to Jones testing positive for a banned substance for the second consecutive fight.
Boxing’s return to the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood, California, will start a little sooner than originally announced. The historic inaugural brawl on May 17, featuring four-division world champion and Méxican icon Juan Manuel Marquez battling former junior welterweight world champion Mike Alvarado in the main event, will now start at a new earlier time — 3:15 p.m. PT, with doors opening at 3:00 p.m. PT.
“We wanted to make boxing’s return to the Forum something special for the fans and the best way to do that was to add more bouts to the undercard. We expect more than 10 bouts on this show,” said Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum. “However, since Marquez-Alvarado will be televised live on HBO, we needed to push the start time of the undercard up to 3:15 p.m. to accommodate all the fights.”
Other bouts on the card include a ten-rounder between super featherweights Diego Magdaleno (25-1, 10 KOs) and Oscar Bravo (21-3, 9 KOs), and a featherweight clash featuring two-time Mexican Olympian Oscar Valdez (10-0, 9 KOs). Valdez’ opponent and the rest of the undercard will be announced shortly. (more…)
By Miguel Maravilla
Canelo Alvarez: I wanted to give the fans this fight. It’s what the fans asked for. I was offended on social media, Twitter, he said a bunch of things about me but it doesn’t matter. I’m here to prove who I am and that I’m going to win on July 12.
Erislandy Lara: There’s nothing more to say. Everything’s done. July 12 we’re going to let the fists do the talking.
By Felipe Leon
Photo: Paul Gallegos
The ladies take center stage once again in the next Bobby D. Presents “San Diego Fights” fight card set for Friday, May 30th, at the new home for San Diego professional boxing, the Crowne Plaza Hotel, when hometown favorite Amaris “Diamond Girl” Quintana (7-2-2, 2KOs) takes on the rugged and undefeated Susana “Dinamita” Estrada (2-0) of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, in the scheduled six round light flyweight main event. At the last fight card presented by veteran promoter Bobby DePhilippis, a member of California’s boxing hall of fame, a star-studded audience which included heavyweight title challenger Chris Arreola, welterweight contender Josesito Lopez and light welterweight prospects Antonio Orozco and Maurice among others, witnessed Tijuana sensation Kenia Enriquez capture her first title, the NABF 108lb. crown, via a 7th round TKO over veteran Jolene Blackshear. The same type of fireworks are expected. (more…)
WBO president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel has announced the officials who will work this Saturday’s junior flyweight world title bout between WBO champion Donnie Nietes, from Philippines, and the interim champion Moises Fuentes, from Mexico, to be held at SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines, in an ALA Promotions and Promociones Zanfer presentation. The referee will be Robert Byrd (USA), judges are Waleska Roldan (USA), Robert Hoyle (USA) and Fernando Laguna-Yanes (Spain). The WBO supervisor for this fight will be Leon Panoncillo.
Nietes (32-1-4, 18 KOs) and Fuentes (19-1-1, 10 KOs) previously fought in March 2013 in Philippines for the Nietes’ junior flyweight title and the bout ended in a majority draw. Nietes will make the fourth defense of the WBO 108 pounds belt.
Undefeated world champions Terence Crawford, Omaha’s favorite son, and Cuban sensation Yuriorkis Gamboa, who both boast identical records of 23-0 with 16 KOs, will host a news conference on Thursday announcing their world lightweight championship fight taking place June 28, at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska. Crawford vs. Gamboa will the first world championship fight the city of Omaha has hosted in 42 years since Joe Frazier defended his world heavyweight championship crown against Ron Stander in 1972. The fight will be promoted by Top Rank in association with Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson’s SMS Promotions, PS4 and Tecate. It will be televised live on HBO.
By James Slater
It’s been a rough few years just recently when it comes to heavyweight boxing greats passing away. Recently, we’ve sadly seen legends Joe Frazier, Ron Lyle and Ken Norton leave us, and today, his son Jeff Ellis has confirmed, former WBA heavyweight ruler Jimmy Ellis passed away at the age of 74. Jimmy, perhaps best known for being the great Muhammad Ali’s good friend and even better sparring partner, died at Baptist Health hospital in his hometown of Louisville. Jimmy had been suffering from dementia for a number of years. (more…)
The WBC has notified lightweight world champion Omar Figueroa and mandatory challenger Daniel Estrada that the period for free negotiations has begun.
If no agreement is reached, a purse bid will be held on Friday, June 6, 2014. in Mexico City.
Unbeaten German domestic heavyweight champion Michael Wallisch (12-0, 8 KOs) will make the third defense of his domestic title against veteran slugger Konstantin “Sandman” Airich (20-8-2, 16 KOs) on SES Boxing’s May 30 all-heavyweight card at the EnergieVerbund Arena in Dresden, Germany. “I love having the German title,: said Wallisch. “It’s also my job to revive this traditional title again with the sports public. My goals are naturally international titles, but always, my policy is “one step at a time” and so now it’s ‘put the Sandman to sleep!'”
In the main event, former world title challenger Francesco Pianeta (29-1-1, 16 KOs) will meet Frenchman Mickael Vieira (14-3-1, 7 KOs). Also, Steffen Kretschmann (17-2, 15 KOs) and hot prospect Tom Black (5-0, 3 KOs) will face TBAs.
Nathan Cleverly makes his cruiserweight debut against Sean Corbin at the Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff on May 17 – and the Welsh star promises to pack a punch at his new weight. The former WBO champion Cleverly moves up from light heavyweight for the first time and is ready to show that he’ll have extra power up at 200lbs.
“I can still make light heavyweight – but there’s a difference between making the weight and performing at my best at the weight,” said Cleverly. “There’s no way I can perform at my best at 12st 7lbs. My body fat percentage is too low and I feel sluggish when I try to get down to the weight, my mouth gets dry and my legs get heavy. (more…)
By David Finger
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
In an affair that was defined by the mutual respect both fighters had for each other, Haitian-Canadian heavyweight Bermane Stiverne (23-1-1, 20 KOs) and Chris Arreola (36-3-1, 31 KOs) held a telephonic press conference last week to answer questions about their upcoming WBC world heavyweight title fight on May 10th at the USC Galen Center in California. Both fighters recognize the historical significance of the ESPN fight, with both alluding to not only the opportunity to bring the world title back to the United States, but also to the significance of the winner being either the first Mexican-American heavyweight champion of the first Haitian heavyweight champion in boxing history.
The event kicked off with a brief introduction by promoter Dan Goossen, who promised that this fight would signify a comeback of an explosive heavyweight division. “You have two great heavyweights ready to go toe to toe,” Goossen said. “We know it’s going to be a great fight between two deserving top ranked contenders.”
Goossen, while respectful of the Klitschkos, did also express his concern over the current state of the heavyweight division, and his belief that Arreola and Stiverne could be the long overdue cure for the lack of interest in the division. “The division has been “stagnant since Mike (Tyson) left,” Goossen said, before adding that “we need to bring the title back to the United States and keep it here.” (more…)
Breaking through to the biggest stage in mixed martial arts is a unique battle in its own right. Success may have been found in great frequency in the comfortable surroundings of a fighter’s home region, but when a fighter steps under the bright lights of the Octagon, it’s an entirely different ball game as everything is amplified tenfold . . . Click here for more on UFC.com
. . . .
Coming up next: UFC FIGHT NIGHT is live on FOX Sports 1 on Saturday, May 10 at 10 PM ET/7 PM PT . . . Click here for more info
Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Sport have called a press conference for Wednesday in Glasgow, Scotland to announce a June 27 fight card at Scotland’s Braehead Arena in Glasgow featuring former world champion Ricky Burns, who hopes to get back on the world title trail. Hearn will announce Burns’ opponent tomorrow.
Also om the card, Stephen Simmons and Wadi Camacho are set to clash in a cruiserweight contest and Willie Limond defends his Commonwealth light welterweight title against Curtis Woodhouse, who puts his British title on the line.
World-ranked Martin Murray’s June 21 middleweight bout against Max Bursak in Monte Carlo has been sanctioned by the WBC for the vacant Silver belt. This is in recognition of Murray’s standing among the world’s elite middleweights and follows former holder Patrick Nielsen opting to fight for the WBA Interim title next month. Murray is rated #4 by the WBC.
The Briton heads the “KO at the Casino” tournament in Monaco, a first class bill that now also includes unbeaten former IBO super-middleweight champion Tommy Oosthuizen (22-0-2, 13 KOs) of South Africa. A scheduled WBA interim cruiserweight title clash between Mateusz Masternak (32-1, 23 KOs) and Ilunga Makabu (16-1, 15 KOs) is now off. (more…)
By Przemek Garczarczyk
Video: Krzysztof Jaszczuk/Ringpolska
“I know that Fonfara is young, that he’s strong and he’ll come hungry to fight. I know that it’ll not be easy fight. I expect a tough one,” said Adonis “Superman” Stevenson (23-1, 20 KOs) during an interview talking about his May 24 WBC light heavyweight title defense against #3 WBC/#1 WBO rated Andrzej “Polish Prince” Fonfara (24-2, 15 KOs). Stevenson-Fonfara will be the main event of Yvon Michel-promoted card in Montreal’s Bell Centre, televised live by Showtime.
Manny Pacquiao received two honorary military medals but failed to show up for the awarding ceremonies on Sunday in General Santos City, Philippines. More
A look inside Floyd Mayweather’s Las Vegas car collection. More
Will Amir Khan have to wait until 2015 to get a shot at Mayweather? More
The Carl Froch-George Groves war of words continues. More
Photos: Chris Farina / Top Rank
Former Jr. Welterweight champion Mike Alvarado of Denver,Co works out in Los Angeles for his upcoming 12-round welterweight battle against four-division world champion Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico.
Promoted by Top Rank in association with Zanfer Promotions, Márquez Boxing and Tecate, Márquez and Alvarado will collide at The Forum in Inglewood, Ca. on Saturday, May 17 and will be televised live on HBO®. photos
WBA/WBO unified super bantamweight world champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (13-0, 8 KOs) will fight Jonathan Guzman (16-0, 16 KOs) on July 19th in Macao, China. Manager Gary Hyde says this will be Rigondeaux’s last fight under the Top Rank banner. “When you consider Donaire, who Rigo schooled, fought four times in 2012 it begs the question why is the P4P #3 so inactive,” commented Hyde. “Rigo is the most avoided world champion in boxing right now. None of the other ‘beltholders’ or their promoters will even mention his name never mind call him out. Let’s hope that Rigo will get at least three fights per year for the next three years from his new promoter so that boxing fans will get the chance to see his freakish talent and appreciate this boxing genius.”
Former two time world champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez will face unbeaten Francisco “El Bandido” Vargas on July 12 as part of the PPV show headlined by Saul “Canelo” Alvarez against Erislandy Lara to be held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Lopez (34-3, 31 KOs), who reigned as WBO super bantamweight and featherweight champion, will defend his WBO International junior lightweight title versus Vargas (19-0-1, 13 KOs), #2 ranked by the WBO in the 130lb division. Lopez is rated WBO #4.
“It’s official, Juanma Lopez will fight against Francisco Vargas. This (Lopez vs. Vargas) is a fight in which the winner must have a shot at the WBO world title at 130 pounds. It’s another battle between Puerto Rico and Mexico and between two former Olympians (Lopez in 2004 and Vargas in 2008),” said Peter Rivera, Vice-President of PR Best Boxing Promotions. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.