firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Antwerp, Belgium: "Il dottore" is back!
- Now beltless, Algieri talks about future plans
- Bellew, Cleverly postfight comments
- Fight Night Austin Post Fight
- Pacquiao, Arum say Mayweather fight HAS to happen
- Ex-champs "Cuatito" Ruiz and "Confesor" Hernandez victorious in Toluca, Mexico
- Results from Hanover, PA
- Fight Night Austin Main Results: Edgar Dominates Swanson
- Pacquiao floors Algieri six times, wins unanimous decision
- Shiming wins eliminator; Lomachenko, Vargas retain world titles
- Fight Night Austin Prelims: Leopard Mauls the Cuddly Bear
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
Story and video: Pepe Rodriguez/WBC
Photos: Alma Montiel/WBC
This morning at a press conference in Mexico City, the WBC light flyweight world champion, Gilberto Keb Baas said he is ready to defend his crown against Adrian “El Confesor” Hernandez on April 30th. The fight will take place at the new Don King Arena in Texcoco State of Mexico sponsored by Golden Boy Promotions, Grupo Publica and Pepe Gomez.
Adrian Hernandez: “I’m preparing my self hard and I just think about winning.”
Gilberto Keb: “It’s very nice everything they are doing but the belt will return to Yucatan that night. I dedicate my victory to the Governor Ivonne Ortega Pacheco.” (more…)
The World Championships Committee of the World Boxing Association is opening to purse bid the WBA cruiserweight champion Guillermo Jones vs interim champion Yoan Hernandez. The purse bid will take place on April 28th at at WBA Headquarters in Panama City, Panama. The minimum bid is $200,000 and the purse split is 55% champion/45% interim. According to WBA rules the bout shall be scheduled to take place not less than 45 days and not more than 90 days from the date of the bid award, unless a different date is agreed to by the boxers and approved by the Championships Committee. This will likely KO any plans for Jones to defend against #8 Ryan Coyne in his next bout as had been announced by the Coyne camp.
Undefeated world champion Wilfredo Vazquez Jr., held a media day today in his home gym in Bayamon, Puerto Rico to speak about his upcoming fight with three-time world champion, Jorge “Travieso” Arce on May 7 in the undercard of Manny Pacquiao and Sugar Shane Mosley card at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to be produced and distributed by SHOWTIME on Pay-Per-View.
WBO Junior Featherweight champion Wilfredo Vazquez, Jr. (20-0-1, 17 KOs), of Bayamon, Puerto Rico, in his Las Vegas debut, making his third title defense, against three-time world champion Jorge Arce (56-6-2, 43 KOs), of Los Mochis, Sinaloa, México. (more…)
Photos: PR Best Boxing Promotions/José Pérez
World Boxing Organization (WBO) super bantamweight champion Wilfredo Vázquez, Jr., showed today his great condition less than three weeks before his third defense against former champion Jorge “Travieso” Arce next May 7th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas as part of the Manny Pacquiao versus Sugar Shane Mosley show, in a Top Rank presentation to be shown on Showtime Pay Per View. “We are training at 150% for this fight, we are focused and very grateful for this opportunity,” Vazquez, Jr., said before start his training at the Miguel J. Fray Gym in Bayamon. For more details and photos click here…
Promoter Frank Warren has announced a mouth-watering domestic showdown between British lightweights John Murray (31-0, 18 KOs) and Kevin Mitchell (31-1, 23 KOs). The bout is expected to land in London in the summer. “This is a real 50/50 match and I salute both guys for signing up for it,” said Warren. “I am working on a date and venue for the show and hope to announce this and, of course, a top quality undercard very soon.”
Murray: “I thought Mitchell had bottled it once and for all when he turned down the opportunity to fight me last month, but I am glad he has finally put pen to paper as this fight has been a long time coming and, apart from the world title, this is the only meaningful challenge left for me in the UK.”
Mitchell: “Murray’s done well but he hasn’t faced me yet and, if he had, we wouldn’t keep hearing about his unbeaten record, I was 31-0 too with more stoppages than him, until I lost out in my 32nd fight which he will too. Personally, I hope this fight takes place in the East End so I can show my legions of fans that last year was a one off an Kevin Mitchell is back.
Photo and report by Ray Wheatley–World of Boxing
WBO #14 heavyweight Alex Leapai (23-3-3, 18 KOs) scored an impressive three round KO over former world heavyweight challenger Peter OkHello (20-6, 18 KOs) to capture the IBF Australian title in Jakarta, Indonesia on Sunday. Leapai has defeated several good Americans including Travis Walker in four rounds and Owen Beck in six rounds. “Peter Okhello went the distance in a WBC heavyweight title bout against Oleg Maskaev but I took him out in three rounds,” said Leapai. “Former heavyweight contender Sinan Samil Sam also had to go twelve rounds to beat OkHello.” Leapai concluded, “I am not a big heavyweight but I have the KO power in both hands to beat the best in the world and that includes David Haye and the Klitschko’s.” Leapai is trained and managed by Noel Thornberry who also guided Samoan Masilino Masoe to the WBA middleweight crown.
By Ricardo Conde
Photo: Thompson Boxing
Former bantamweight world champion Yonnhy ‘El Colombiano’ Perez (20-1-1, 14 KOs) of Santa Fe Springs, California by way of Colombia will take on Vic ‘Raging Bull’ Darchinyan (35-3-1, 27 KOs) this Saturday, April 23rd at the Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles, California in the co-feature bout of SHOWTIME’s Bantamweight Tournament Final ‘Winner Takes All’ which will be broadcast live on SHOWTIME Championship Boxing and is being presented by Don King Productions, Gary Shaw Productions, Golden Boy Promotions and Thompson Boxing Promotions. (more…)
By Damrong Simakajornboon
Former IBF 105lb boss Muhammad Rachman (64-10-5,33 KOs) became the new WBA minimumweight titleholder as he stopped the now former champion Kwanthai Sithmorseng (31-1-1,17 KOs) in round nine on Tuesday at Bangkokthonburi University in Bangkok, Thailand. Previously, it seemed not so hard for the Thai fighter as he dropped the former IBF champ in round two and mostly gained the score except round five and six. But unexpectedly in round nine, the experienced Rachman reached his big opportunity when he landed a well-timed right hook following by vicious combinations which sent Kwanthai to the canvas. Not missing the chance, the Indonesian viciously hunted his foe and he successfully closed the show with a right bodyshot which destroyed Thai fighter for a full ten count at 1:29.
In other action, former WBA 122lb title holder Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym (44-2,30 KOs) scored a six round technical decision over Eric Barcelona (51-20-4,19 KOs) to capture the PABA 122lb title. An accidental headclash in round six rendered the Filipino unable to continue so the fight was sent to the scorecard which the Thai fighter comfortably leaded by 58-55, 59-54 and 59-54. Poonsawat is scheduled to challenge for the WBA crown again during the WBA annual convention in Bangkok this October.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Jr middleweight contender David “The Destroyer” Lopez may have the opportunity to fight for the WBA super welterweight championship against unbeaten world champion Austin Trout in June. HG BOXING President Hector Garcia informed us that he expects to make this fight for June 11th at a site to be named. Candidates are Sonora, Mexico City and Mexico state. Lopez defeated compatriot Michel Rosales in a WBA eliminator on March 19 in Tampico, Tamaulipas to earn this title shot.
That same night, Mexican female star Arely Muciño defends her IBF female flyweight world crown for the second time against an opponent to be revealed in the coming days.
On April 28, boxing action returns to L.A. LIVE’s Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles with local jr welterweight favorite Frankie “The Pitbull” Gomez (8-0, 6 KOs) headlining. Lightweight Ramon Valadez (7-1, 4 KOs) and 2008 Olympian jr middleweight Alfonso Blanco (4-0, 2 KOs) also compete in featured bouts. Opponents for Gomez, Blanco and Valadez will be announced at a later date.
By Robert Coster
Mexico-based Canelo Promotions’ Japanese connection is growing. Edison Reynoso, chief executive of Canelo, has announced the signing of Japanese super-flyweight prospect Masamichi Nozaki. The 22-year-old Nozaki (11-2, 3 KOs), started off his career with two controversial decision losses in 2007 but has since then rebounded with 11 straight victories, 4 of them over unbeaten opposition. “Nozaki is a slick, skilled young boxer,” commented Reynoso, “and we believe that he will progress considerably by pursuing his career in Mexico.”
Mexican fans will have a chance to get their first glimpse of Nozaki as he will step in the ring on the third week of May against an opponent TBA. The other Japanese boxers Canelo Promotions has signed are former WBA interim jr middleweight champion Noburo Ishida, who recently stunned the boxing world with a one round destruction of James Kirkland, and bantamweight contender Tomoki Kameda, the youngest of the famed Kameda brothers. Said Reynoso, “We plan to continue looking for good boxers and prospects in Japan. Boxers over there are similar in many ways to Mexican boxers: they are disciplined, love to train and have heart.”
He currently sits in a lofty spot on the mythical pound-for-pound list, he has an amazing backstory, an infectious personality, and, oh yeah, he can fight a little bit too. But to some UFC fans, Jose Aldo won’t be a reality until he sets foot in the Octagon for the first time . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC
For more info on UFC 129 or on the UFC, visit www.UFC.com
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Former WBA flyweight world champion Luis ‘El Nica’ Concepcion returned to training on Monday after losing to Hernan “Tyson” Marquez on April 2 in Panama City. Concepcion, now classified WBA #5 in its flyweight rating, began his training in the “Los Rockeros” gym with an exercise routine. Concepcion is trained by renowned local trainer Rigoberto Garibaldi, one of his two trainers.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Mexican junior lightweight prospect Salvador Sanchez II (21-4-3, 11 KOs) returns to the ring again in Mexico City on a Saturday night called “Feria del Nocaut III” at the Don King Arena in Texcoco, Mexico on a Boxeo de Gala Promotions show presented by Dr. Fausto Daniel Garcia. Sanchez II, a lookalike for his legendary uncle Salvador Sanchez, made his final preparations at the Pino Suarez Gym in Mexico City with trainer Rudy Perez and has been bringing in bus loads of fans in rapidly becoming a star attraction in Mexico.
“I’ve been training very hard the last three months in Mexico City with Rudy Perez trainer,” said Sanchez. “I need to learn more about the technical aspects, defense and fast punching. We’re training for the future. I have to face the best to go to a world title shot in my career but now I have to learn too much. Fight by fight I feel better, I’m feeling my career advance.”
By Rey Colón -The Sport Press
A contractually obligated rematch between WBO featherweight champion Orlando Salido and ex-champ Juan Manuel Lopez may be held in August instead of November or December as originally stated by promoter Bob Arum. Salido, who stopped Lopez on Saturday night in a monumental upset, had hoped to make a defense in July in Sonora, Mexico, but apparently the people of Lopez are pushing for a rematch to take place as soon as possible.
At a meeting on Monday, the Panamanian Boxing Commission declared matchmaker and boxing representative Sampson Lewkowicz an undesirable person and warned every promoter, manager or member of the Panamanian boxing community that the commission will not accept any reationship with him for one year.
According to a letter from Commission President Alberto Guerra to the WBA, WBC, WBO and IBF, Lewkowicz allegedly told the management of WBA bantamweight champion Anselmo Moreno that their contract with Moreno would be terminated by the Commission for going against the interests of boxing if Moreno did not sign a promotional agreement with Golden Boy by April 5. Guerra confirmed a conversation with Lewkowicz about the commission’s powers to terminate a contract, but he claims he informed Lewkowicz that this was not the case between Moreno and his manager Roberto Grimaldo. The commission later confirmed that Grimaldo’s deal with Moreno would be in force until 2016.
On May 18, Hitz Boxing and its founder, Bobby Hitz, will return to where it all began, at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois. The night’s main event will feature popular Irish Middleweight contender Andy Lee (25-1, 19 KOs). Lee will be getting back in the ring just a couple months after scoring a sensational come-from-behind tenth-round knockout against the previously unbeaten Craig McEwan on national TV.
When Bobby Hitz first transitioned from heavyweight boxer to promoter, he embarked on what became a 12-year series of shows in Rosemont entitled the Ramada Rumbles.
“We are back to where it all started,” said an enthusiastic Hitz. “And in the spirit of going back to the glory days, we’ve got an old-school-type of fighter, Andy Lee, who is one of the most exciting sluggers in boxing in the main event. He’s not your usual big-name boxer. Andy doesn’t want to lay around. He wants to keep busy and stay sharp while he waits for his title shot.”
The Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Albuquerque will hold a press conference on Tuesday to announce a June 4 boxing card that includes a rubber match between six-time world champion Johnny Tapia (58-5-2, 30 KOs) versus Frankie Archuleta (27-8-1, 14 KOs). Tapia and Archuleta split a couple of close decisions in their 2004 and 2005 fights.
WBC Silver welterweight champion and mandatory challenger Selcuk Aydin wants to fight the new WBC world champion Victor Ortiz immediately. “I congratulate Victor Ortiz to his victory and I hope that he is man enough to fight me”, says Aydin. “Ortiz should not forget that he only got his shot at the title because I stepped aside from my mandatory right to challenge Berto. Berto knew exactly why he didn’t want to fight me. He knows how strong I am and that I would have beaten him. He thought he would have better chances against Ortiz. Now I can only hope that Ortiz doesn’t run away from me like Berto did over the past two years.” (more…)
Last Friday, well known Mexican Promoter Fernando Beltran, filed a lawsuit for libel and defamation of character with the Tijuana, MX, attorney general against Michael Miller, the U.S. based lawyer for WBC lightweight champion Humberto “Zorrita” Soto. Beltran is represented by one of the best law offices of Mexico who prepared the lawsuit and who will seek damages.
Beltran alleges that Miller made several false accusations against him to the media. “We will follow through with this case, the laws in our country and very just and clear and Mr. Miller broke many of them with his false declarations against me and my company,” Beltran said. “These declarations affect in one way or another the credibility that we have earned for so many years and after all the champions that Zanfer has produced for Mexico.”
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.