firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Boxing Buzz
- Fonfara: If I want to think about a rematch with Adonis, I must beat guys like Ngumbu
- Karpency Bros headline Nov 21 in WV
- WBA interim heavyweight champ Ortiz fails drug test
- The Ultimate Fighter Takes on Breast Cancer Awareness
- "Renegade" Robles Back in San Diego this Friday
- McDonnell: I am not scared to have a fight and I want to prove myself against the best
- Werdum Focused on Title, Not Opponent
- Tyson Fury removes gag and calls out Anthony Joshua, says he'll fight Joshua in December "after smashing Chisora!"
- Murray-Spada Press Conference
- Jean Pascal vs. Donovan George set for Dec 6
Photos by Joel Colon PR Best Boxing/Top Rank
One of the best boxers in the world, Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon, the WBO 108 pound world champion, is ready to take another bite of the big apple on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day Parade in New York City. Calderon, a two time world champion, will take on Jesus “Azul” Iribe of Mexico in the main event of “Top Rank Live” this Saturday night in the Theater at Madison Square Garden in a fight that will be televised by Fox Sports Net and Fox Sports en Español and on Pay-per-view in Puerto Rico. Calderon arrived on Friday Night in New York. For more details and photos click here…
By Felipe Leon
After a five year hiatus, Spanish language channel Telefutura makes its triumphant return to San Diego, CA, when Golden Boy Promotions in association with Bobby D. Presents, Don Chargin Productions and Jorge Marron Productions present “Solo Boxeo Tecate” on Friday, June 11th, from the 4 Points Sheraton Hotel. Matchmaker Jorge Marron has put together an interesting card featuring many up and coming local prospects. In the main event, undefeated California State super bantamweight champion Christopher “SD Kid” Martin (17-0-2, 5KOs) of San Diego defends his title against rugged Adolfo “El Terror” Landeros (20-13-1, 9KOs) of Mexico City, MX, in a scheduled eight round bout. (more…)
One of America’s first female boxing writers, Catherine “Nails” Greene died at 5:12 p.m. Saturday at St. Luke’s / Roosevelt Hospital in New York City, NY. “Nails” worked with both her husband, “Broadway” Ben Greene, who was a well-known boxing writer in the Big Apple, and her son contributing to the monthly boxing column GREENE: “On The Fistic Scene.” She was also a contributor to the old “Boxing Illustrated” magazine. Greene had been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes since Thanksgiving, and was most recently hospitalized on May 12th. Known to her readers and friend’s as “Nails,” Greene was in a near coma for several days but awoke on Friday, May 28, the 20th anniversary of the death of her husband. Greene is survived by her son, David Greene, who is a photojournalist for FightNews.com. You may send your thoughts to David at Newsaddik@aol.com
By Robert Coster
“I’m back,” said an elated Edgar Sosa after his impressive two round kayo victory over Roberto “Mako” Leyva, a former titleholder, yesterday in Acapulco. The congenial former Jr flyweight champion (38-6, 22 KOs), with manager Jacques Deschamps by his side, took time to answer a few questions from Fightnews about the bout and future plans. (more…)
Photos: Rafael Soto/Top Rank
Marco Antonio Barrera was known as “The Baby Face Assassin” when he started out at the Inglewood Forum in California. Fast forward 20 years later and Barrera is still a recognized name in boxing and will surely end up in the Boxing Hall of Fame on day, but not yet, he still wants one more thing out of boxing. “I want to win a fourth world title and its something that motivates me to train and to fight and to keep going,” said Barrera, a three-time world champion.
The 36 year old, Barrera is coming back into the ring after a 15-month lay-off, as he will take on Adailton De Jesus on Saturday, June 26 at the Alamodome of San Antonio, Texas in the co-main event of “Latin Fury 15” a pay-per-view card presented by Top Rank and Zanfer Promotions. (more…)
By Gabriel F. Cordero
WBA Executive vice president Gilberto Jesus Mendoza was released on Sunday afternoon from the Hospital Punta Pacifica in Panama, after being admitted on Friday with chest pains. Dr. Themistocles Diaz said Mendoza “suffered a mild heart attack” and should rest at home for least two weeks. It will be eight weeks before he’s completely back to his normal routine.
By Sam DiTusa at ringside
Welterweight Dashon Johnson improved to (10-2-3) Saturday night in Renton, Washington with a decisive six round unanimous decision over rugged Mike Lucero (12-16) on the debut card of GUY PROMOTIONS. The Johnson-Lucero fight was a rematch of a draw the two fought two months ago. (more…)
Sebastian Sylvester defended his IBF middleweight title on Saturday night in Neubrandenburg when he and mandatory challenger Roman Karmazin settled for a draw in front of a wild crowd of 4,500 fans. After 12 close rounds, the scores were 118-111, 111-117 and 114-114. “I am pleased to have defended my title,” Sylvester said. “It was a close, tough fight. Although Karmazin was more active, I landed the clearer shots. I think I was up a few rounds.” (more…)
Photos by Tom Briglia/Top Rank
On Saturday night, boxing returned to the famed Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, New York, for the first time since 1976 when Muhammad Ali defeated Ken Norton by a 15-round decision at the original Yankee Stadium. The former home of the Yankees hosted 46 nights of boxing matches, including 30 championship bouts, over its 86-year history. Miguel Cotto’s win over Yuri Foreman was the first event in the new Yankee Stadium located right next to the site of its predecessor. (more…)
Advance tickets are now on sale for TKO Championship Boxing, an action packed evening featuring some of the best young stars in the sport, on Saturday, June 26th at The MontBleu Resort Casino and Spa in Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
Headlined by a WBO World Lightweight Youth Title bout featuring sensational prospect Terence Crawford, tickets, starting at $25, can be purchased through Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.com) or the MontBleu Box Office (775-588-3515) . . . click here for more
Rory MacDonald was like any other teenager when he walked into the mixed martial arts gym in Kelowna, British Columbia. When he walked out, he turned into probably the most focused and determined 14-year old you would ever meet . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC
By Alex Dombroff
Photo by Ed Mulholland
Miguel Cotto: My jab is back. My movement is back. The punch that finished the fight, the left hook to the body, was back too… I didn’t use my jab much in the fourth round, and that’s the point where Yuri Foreman took advantage… I felt pretty good fighting at 154. Boxing, for me, is a business. If we get offered something better at 147, we can get back to 147.
Yuri Foreman: I felt good. Physically, I felt good. I am going to take some time off and get back in the gym… (on the knee) It’s an old injury from when I was a kid. I fell on my bike when I was 15. I’ve always wore a knee brace to protect it… There was a lot of commotion. Arthur Mercante asked me if I wanted to continue. I said “of course.” I wanted to continue. In my mind, it wasn’t over. I still threw punches. I was trying to think optimistically. For more details and photos click here…
Photo by WBC
Former WBC light flyweight champion Edgar Sosa (38-6, 22 KOs) scored an explosive second round KO over faded former IBF minimumweight champion Roberto “Mako” Leyva (27-12-1, 21 KOs) on Saturday night at the Forum del Mundo Imperial in Acapulco, Mexico. It was Sosa’s first fight since his controversial loss to Rodel Mayol that left him with a broken cheekbone last November. Click here for more photos…
By Matt Richardson and Mariano A. Agmi at ringside
Photos by Ed Mulholland
Former two division world champion Miguel Cotto (35-2, 28 KOs) has taken over another division, dethroning previously unbeaten WBA super welterweight champion Yuri Foreman (28-1, 8 KOs) in nine rounds on Saturday night in the first fight card at New York City’s famed Yankee Stadium site in 34 years. Now trained by Emanuel Steward, Cotto looked extremely sharp outboxing Foreman over the first six rounds and in the seventh stanza Foreman’s right knee buckled compromising his mobility. Someone at ringside threw in a towel in the eighth round and people entered the ring, but referee Arthur Mercante Jr. threw everyone out and resumed the fight. Cotto continued to batter Foreman dropping him with a left to the body in round nine and the bout was then waved off. Time was :42. For more details and photos click here…
Female super flyweight Nadya Hokmi (16-6-1, 8 KOs) won a ten round unanimous decision over Elena “Baby Doll” Reid (19-6-6, 5 KOs) to win the WBF championship on Saturday night at the Hall Joffre-Lefebvre in Lingolsheim, France. Hokmi totally dominated the fight and boxed beautifully. Scores were 100-90, 99-91, 99-91.
By Joe Koizumi
Busy-punching Filipino, WBC#9 ranked OPBF flyweight champ Rocky Fuentes (24-6-2, 15 KOs), 112, looked very impressive as he kept exchanging solid shots toe-to-toe from the outset, withstood furious retaliations of WBC#15/WBA#15 Shigetaka Ikehara (20-2-2, 16 KOs), 112, and finally halted him with a towel thrown from the Japanese corner at 2:09 of the eleventh round on Saturday in Tokyo, Japan. (more…)
By Karl Freitag
IBF middleweight champion “Hurrikan” Sebastian Sylvester (33-3-1, 16 KOs) and mandatory challenger Roman “Made in Hell” Karmazin (40-3-2, 26 KOs) battled to a twelve round split decision draw on Saturday night at the Jahnsportforum in Neubrandenburg, Germany. As expected, a very close and hard fought fight. The 37-year-old Karmazin was very active, but Sylvester showed good defense, better technical skills and was generally more effective, landing clean right hands throughout the fight. Scores were 118-111 for Sylvester, 117-111 for Karmazin, and 114-114. Sylvester retains his title with the draw. Fightnews scored it 116-113 for Sylvester, but many rounds were close. There was a skirmish at ringside when a member of Team Karmazin objected to the tally of the 114-114 card.
In a clash for the vacant IBF cruiserweight title, Steve Cunningham (23-2, 12 KOs) recovered from a fourth round knockdown to get a fifth round stoppage over “Contender: Season 4″ winner Troy Ross (23-2, 16 KOs). Referee Bill Clancy waved off the fight due to a deep cut under the left eye of Ross that was ruled to be caused by a punch (a thumb to be precise). It will be the second reign for Cunningham as IBF cruiserweight champion, who was recently signed by Sauerland Event. With the win, Cunningham positions himself for a rematch with stablemate WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck. There is also talk of a Super Six tournament in the cruiserweight divison, in which Cunningham and Huck would particiate. Both attractive propositions. More results, including two big upsets…
Unbeaten WBC #2 rated welterweight Selcuk Aydin (20-0, 15 KOs) won a split decision over previously unbeaten WBC #1 rated super lightweight Ionut Dan Ion a.k.a. Jo Jo Dan (26-1, 14 KOs) to claim the WBC Silver welter title on Saturday night at the Abdi Ipekci Spor Salonu in Istanbul, Turkey. It was a hotly contested bout throughout. A first round knockdown made the difference. Scores were 114-113, 114-113, Aydin, 116-111 Dan. (more…)
By Karl Freitag
Photos by Eroll Popova
“This was a great show here in Aschersleben,” said SES promoter Ulf Steinforth. “Everything fit together – best weather conditions for an “under the stars” event, a straight and a very concentrated world champion Ramona Kue hne, now with three belts. And at least the comeback of the German heavyweight Timo Hoffmann. One year without boxing because of his “family year” with his baby and now a fast win by knockout with excellently prepared hard punches. Timo “The German Oak” is back! I’m proud of my team and of this special event for Germany!” More, plus photos…
By David Robinett at ringside
Twelve years ago, a 37-year old journeyman fighter named Paul Nave made his mark in the boxing world by scoring an upset victory, followed by two more hotly contested rematches, against former light welterweight titleholder Greg Haugen. Nave retired a year later in 1999, capping off a then 14-year career on a high note. Now over a year into his quixotic comeback, the 49-year old “Marin County Assassin” Paul Nave, (19-8-2, 8 KOs), is undefeated in his last four fights, turning in his most impressive performance to date, a devastating third round knockout of Minnesota club fighter Daniel Schlienz, (7-20-1, 4 KOs), in a scheduled six-round welterweight bout Friday night at the Marin Center Exhibit Hall in San Rafael, California. (more…)
Light heavyweight Chuck ‘The Professor’ Mussachio (16-1-2, 5 KOs) dealt previously unbeaten Anthony ‘Boom Boom’ Ferrante (9-1, 4 KOs) his first professional loss on Friday night in a ten-rounder at the Tropicana Casino & Resort in Atlantic City. Mussachio won a unanimous decision by scores of 98-92, 96-94, 97-93. In other action, middleweight Mike ‘Mighty Mike’ Tiberi (13-1, 5 KOs) stopped Brian Bernard (8-7-2, 4 KOs) in three and unbeaten female featherweight Amanda ‘The Real Deal’ Serrano (6-0-1, 3 KOs) won a six round unanimous decision against Nydia Feliciano (2-1-2).
By Gabriel F. Cordero
The WBA Executive Vice President Gilberto Jesus Mendoza Jr. has been hospitalized in Panama after experiencing a mild heart attack. “He has a great heart,” said Dr. Temistocles Diaz, who added that Mendoza is stable and recovering. Sources say Mendoza Jr. will be out of action resting for at least the next 15 days. He is known for his boxing exhibitions with Oscar de la Hoya, Evander Holyfield, Tito Trinidad and John Ruiz during the WBA’s KO to Drugs Festivals. “I thank God I’m alive, my family for support, and the boxing community in general for letting me be part of them. From all experiences we can learn something,” Mendoza Jr. said.
New York-based boxing columnist Catherine “Nails” Greene, 71, is fighting for her life at St. Luke’s / Roosevelt Hospital, on Manhattan’s Upper West Side as the Miguel Cotton and Yuri Foreman step into the ring for tonight’s historic fight at the new Yankee Stadium. Greene, known to her readers and friend’s as “Nails,” was admitted to St. Luke’s Hospital on Wednesday, May 12, a day after leaving a nursing home to attend her own birthday party. One of America’s first female boxing writer’s it is believed Greene was the first woman to ever apply for and receive a press pass issued by the boxing department of Madison Square Garden back in the late 1960’s. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.