email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Adamek-Szpilka face off in Krakow
- Groves ready for Douglin
- Pacquiao, Roach, Arum Quotes from the Philippines
- Martin Murray: I want to be Number One
- Mark Hunt: People's Choice to People's Champ?
- Boxing returns to Arena Coliseo in Mexico City
- Erik Morales to work with WBC Committee
- Rodriguez brings nickname controversy to Telemundo telecast
- Budler, Liebenberg defending belts in Monte Carlo
- Boxing Buzz
- Fonfara: If I want to think about a rematch with Adonis, I must beat guys like Ngumbu
By Chris Perry
Following their debut show in Hampton Roads last month, promoter Jack Fulton’s International Championship Boxing Knockout Series returns to the Norfolk Scope Area in Norfolk, Virginia on May 28 with a double main event featuring former WBO Heavyweight Champion Shannon Briggs and light heavyweight Daniel Judah. “We’re excited to be back,” said Fulton at the May 3 press conference held at the Scope arena’s Showcase restaurant to announce the event. “Boxing has a home right here in Norfolk and ICB is proud to be the company that is bringing it to you.” More plus photos…
Today in Aguascalientes. Antonio “Tony” Margarito and his opponent Roberto “Amenaza” Garcia shared the air waves during the highest rated radio in the city, Info Linea with Jose Luis Morales. Click here for a full report and more photos.
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
With the news of cruiserweight Steve Cunningham’s recent signing with Sauerland Event, negotiations are moving quickly in a showdown with Contender winner Troy Ross for the vacant IBF cruiserweight title. A proposed purse-bid set for this Thursday will likely be averted as a date of June 5th in Germany has been put forth and will likely be accepted by Group Yvon Michel, promoter for Ross. “We’re awaiting the proposal in writing, but if all is in order, I see it being accepted,” Michel told Fightnews. “Talks went really well and they were very professional.” The IBF had ordered the Cunningham-Ross fight when things fell through on Cunningham meeting Matt Godfrey earlier this year.
Story by David Hudson Jr.
Matt Mitrione looks to go 2-0 against former fellow UFC The Ultimate Fighter contestants when he faces former Internet sensation Kimbo Slice at UFC 113.
Mitrione knocked out Marcus Jones at TUF finale in December 2009 to earn his first official professional MMA victory. Now, he looks to take out the well-known Slice . . Click here for more
By Ricardo Conde
Talented super featherweight contender Argenis Mendez (15-1, 9 KO’s) of the Dominican Republic, under the watchful eye of former junior lightweight champ, Robert Garcia in Oxnard, CA, will take on Martin “El Brochas” Honorio (28-4-1, 14 KOs’) of Mexico on Saturday May 8th in the co-feature bout of “The Weight is Over” which will be headlined by Paul “The Punisher” Williams (38-1, 27 KO’s) taking on Kermit “The Killer” Cintron (32-2-1, 28 KO’s) at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA, Williams vs. Cintron will be televised by HBO World Championship Boxing. The 23-year-old Mendez will face Honorio in a 12 round bout in the super featherweight division which is being presented by Goossen Tutor Promotions, in association with DiBella Entertainment. Click here for a full report and more photos.
Top Rank matchmaker Bruce Trampler (right) watches his prospect Jose Benavidez, Jr. (red) sparring with Ireland’s Jaime Kavanaugh at The Wild Card Gym in preparation for his bout Saturday in Aguascalientes, Mexico. Benavidez will meet Arnaldo Pacheco from Guerrero, Mexico on the undercard of the Margarito vs. Garcia card.
By Ron Jackson
Jerry Nekhubve of South Africa upset the form book when he stopped Ali Nuumbembe from Namibia in the second round to win the WBO Africa welterweight title at the Windhoek Country Club last Friday night. After a quiet opening round the challenger Nekhubve 11-1-1 picked up the
pace in the second round and scored with a classic uppercut that sent Nuumbembe 23-5-1 crashing to the canvas. Nuumbembe managed to beat the count but was in no condition to continue as the referee Hiskia Shigweda waved the fight off. (more…)
By Robert Coster
French lightweight prospect Romain Jacob (9-0, 5 KOs) stands out in a way that sets him apart from his peers. The 21-year-old is heir to the closest thing to boxing royalty in France – a boxing family that dates back to grandfather Jacques, a bantamweight in the 50s and 60s. Romain’s four uncles won French and European titles and father Thierry gloriously won the WBC featherweight title in 1992, beating Daniel Zaragoza in the family’s hometown of Calais. Now it is up to young Romain to be the torchbearer and continue the family saga. (more…)
Story by Anthony Springer, Jr.
It’s not unreasonable to think people are expecting a finish every time you step in the Octagon when your nickname is “Hands of Stone.”
With a moniker that screams “knockout artist,” Sam Stout (21-5) isn’t concerned about the lack of exciting finishes on his UFC resume. Prior to his 2006 debut, Stout, 26, recorded six stoppages in ten fights . . . Click here for more
Former welterweight and super welterweight world champion Paul Williams (38-1, 27 KOs) and former welterweight world champion Kermit Cintron (32-2-1-, 28 KOs) spoke to the media today in advance of their showdown on Saturday night at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA. Here’s what they had to say. (more…)
Former WBO heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs (48-5-1, 42 KOs) returns to the ring May 28th. Briggs will take on veteran Rob Calloway (70-11-2, 57 KOs) in the main event at the Norfolk Scope Arena in Norfolk, Virginia. This will be the second event in two months held by the newly established International Championship Boxing series (ICB)/promoter Jack Fulton at the Scope. Briggs is fresh off of a 1st round KO of Rafael Pedro in April. For ticket information, call the Scope Box Office at 757-664-6464.
ESPN’s award-winning primetime newsmagazine E:60 will tell the unusual story of world champion Yuri Foreman in the episode airing Tuesday at 7PM ET. It’s an old story, kind of. A penniless immigrant finds his way to America, wins fame and fortune in the boxing ring and marries a model. But as E:60’s Jeremy Schaap reports, this is a story with a twist. Foreman isn’t the typical immigrant boxer. He’s a Belarusian Jew and is studying to be an orthodox rabbi. After Foreman won the WBA super welterweight title last November, dethroning the heavily favored defending champion Daniel Santos, he said his faith, as much as his fists, was the determining factor. (more…)
Former two-time world cruiserweight champion Jean-Marc Mormeck of France puts his climb up the heavyweight ranks on the line against veteran USBA and NABA heavyweight champion Fres Oquendo. The bout is being promoted by Mormeck’s J3M Management in association with Roy Jones, Jr.’s Square Ring Promotions on Thursday, May 6 in the Halle Carpentier Arena in Paris and will be televised over the Orange Network in France. The 37 year old Mormeck 34-3 (22 KOs), will be making his second appearance at heavyweight, having won a unanimous decision over tough American Vinny Maddalone on December 17, 2009. (more…)
WBA interim super lightweight champion Marcos Maidana pulled out of his fight against undefeated WBO junior welterweight champion Timothy Bradley today. The public news conference scheduled for Tuesday at Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa in Rancho Mirage, Calif. is canceled. Gary Shaw, who co-promotes Bradley with Thompson Boxing Promotions, received a call from Eric Gomez, Vice President/Matchmaker of Golden Boy Promotions, Maidana’s co-promoter, moments ago informing him that Maidana was pulling out of the fight. “Eric told me Maidana missed his flight to the U.S. and later in the same conversation told me Maidana’s back was still injured and that he would not be fighting Timmy on July 17,” said Shaw. “Obviously Maidana’s back was not getting any better and a call to us last week from Team Maidana would have been the professional thing to do. But HBO and Agua Caliente are standing behind Timmy and his July 17 date, and I expect to announce Timmy’s new opponent soon.”
Antonio Margarito arrived in Aguascalientes on Sunday night for his big fight this Saturday in the Plaza de Toros Monumental in Aguascalientes where he will take on Roberto “La Amenaza” Garcia in the main event of Latin Fury 14 to be telecast by Top Rank on pay-per-view. (more…)
Fight fans in Iowa City were treated to a display of four of boxing’s finest prospects on Saturday night, May 1st, as TKO Boxing Promotions presented bouts featuring Mikael Zewski, Terence Crawford, J’Leon Love and Michael Finney at the Johnson County 4-H Fairgrounds. (more…)
By Ricardo Conde
With only days away until his return to the ring, former three-time welterweight world champion, Antonio “Tijuana Tornado” Margarito (37-6, 27 KO’s) of Tijuana, Mexico, trained by former junior lightweight champion, Robert Garcia, has completed his preparations in Oxnard, CA and departed on Sunday for Mexico. Click here for a full report and more photos.
The World Championships Committee of the World Boxing Association (WBA) conducted three purse bids on Monday afternoon at the Wynn Resort & Casino in Las Vegas for the following title fights: Anthony Mundine vs Gennady Golovkin, Daiki Kameda vs Takefumi Sakata and Beibut Shumenov vs Vyacheslav Uzelkov. The purse bids were directed by WBA executives, Gilberto Jesus Mendoza and Jose Oliver Gomez.
The first purse bid was for the WBA Middleweight title, between Anthony Mundine (AUS) and Gennady Golovkin (KAZ). Epic Sport Management in association with Top rank won the bid with an offer of $1,210,000 dollars. Per WBA rules, the champion will receive 50% of the purse and the challenger 50%. The minimum purse bid was set at $200,000. Epic Sport Management and Top Rank announced the fight will happen in the month of July.
The second purse bid was for the WBA Flyweight title, between Daiki Kameda (JAP) and Takefumi Sakata (JAP). Kyoei Boxing won the bid with an offer of $315,000 dollars. Per WBA rules, the champion will receive 75% of the purse and the challenger 25%. The minimum purse bid was set at $80,000. Per Kyoei, the fight will happen on July 24, July 25 or July 31.
The third purse bid was for the WBA Light Heavyweight title, between Beibut Shumenov (KAZ) and Vyacheslav Uzelkov (UKR). K2 Promotions and KZ Events reached an agreement. Per WBA rules, the champion will receive 75% of the purse and the challenger 25%. The minimum purse bid was set at $200,000.
By Chris Cozzone
What was already a solid local card, set for this Friday at Isleta Casino & Resort in Albuquerque, has just gotten two televised bouts better. Danny Romero’s Romero Productions has teamed up with Golden Boy Promotions to make Isleta the site for this Friday’s ESPN2’s “Friday Night Fights” card. The card, originally set for El Paso’s Don Haskins Center, was nixed after local attraction Antonio Escalante pulled out of his fight due to an injury.
Friday’s TV spotlight falls on Cuban light-heavyweight Yordanis Despaigne (5-0, 4 KOs) who, with just five pro bouts, takes on 36-fight veteran Richard Hall (29-7, 27 KOs) in a ten-rounder. In the co-main, Maryland heavyweight Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell (16-0-1, 10 KOs) will go eight with Louisiana’s Johnnie White (22-1, 18 KOs). In the local main event, a battle of “Mad” cruiserweights, “Mad” Max Heyman (23-10-4, 13 KOs) continues his comeback in a crosstown, eight-round grudge match with “Mad” Mike Alderete (6-4-2, 3 KOs). (more…)
Sauerland Event has inked former IBF cruiserweight champion Steve Cunningham to a promotional contract. “With the WBO titleholder Marco Huck, Yoan Pablo Hernandez and Alexander Frenkel we’re already well established in the cruiserweight division. With the signing of Steve Cunningham, now there are even better prospects,” said promoter Kalle Sauerland. Cunningham is rated #1 by the IBF and in line to fight for the vacant belt. “Of course we hope that he wins the IBF belt,” added Sauerland. “He’s an outstanding boxer.” Cunningham is well known in Germany for his win over current WBO champion Marco Huck.
By Francisco Salazar
Long after the post-fight press conference had officially ended, Floyd Mayweather remained on the dais, answering more questions from reporters and giving live television interviews. He even stayed longer to sign gloves, media credentials, and posters to those in attendance before heading to his official post-fight party at Studio 54 at the MGM Grand.
On top of the 15,117 people in attendance inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer announced that 12,748 seats were sold at closed circuit locations at other casinos and venues in Las Vegas. Schaefer also announced that Saturday’s gate exceeded $11 million.
Floyd Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe told Fightnews.com that plans are in progress to promote a show featuring boxers that fight under the Mayweather Promotions banner. Ellerbe did not elaborate on where and when, but one would assume it would be in or near Las Vegas, where Mayweather Promotions is based out of. Dion Savage, Jessie Vargas, Said Ouali, and Cornelius Lock are not only are promoted by Mayweather, but saw action on Saturday night. Of all the fighters, Lock was the only fighter who did not win, losing a close unanimous decision to Featherweight contender Daniel Ponce De Leon.
Mayweather-Mosley will be replayed on HBO Saturday along with the live telecast of the 154-pound showdown between Paul Williams and Kermit Cintron.
Perfect. The Merriam Webster Dictionary has multiple definitions for that adjective. Maybe the simplest way to define it is with two words: Lyoto Machida. 16-0 as a professional. 8-0 in the UFC. 2-0 in title fights . . . Click here for more by Michael DiSanto, UFC
The World Boxing Organization (WBO) and president Francisco “Paco” Valcárcel presented last Saturday the 9th Edition of the WBO Cupey Race and Track Invitational with hundreds of kids in action from Puerto Rico, Curacao and St. Croix, dedicated to WBO super bantamweight champion Wilfredo Vázquez Jr., and with the presence of some world and former world champions.
“We are so proud of bringing this event again for the kids or Puerto Rico and with the purpose of living better without drugs”, said Valcárcel.
The event, that placed in Cupey Track’s Field, had the great total of 651 boys and girls from 33 teams of Puerto Rico and from Curacao and St. Croix.
There was in the event world champions Iván “Iron Boy” Calderón, Juan Manuel “Juanma” López, Román “Rocky” Martínez, Vázquez Jr., prospects McJoe and McWilliams Arroyo, and Jayson Vélez. Also, former champions Félix “Tito” Trinidad, Wilfredo Vázquez, Alfredo “Salsero” Escalera and Álex “El Nene” Sánchez.
From the WBO judges José H. Rivera, José Roberto Torres, César Ramos and Roberto Ramírez father and son , president Valcárcel, Adolfo Flores, Manuel Marrero Hueca, Mario Rivera Martinó, and Mayor of San Juan, Jorge Santini.
Albania staged its biggest ever boxing night on Sunday when national hero Kreshnik ‘The Eagle’ Qato defended his WBF world middleweight title against Esteban Waldemar Ponce in the Albanian capital Tirana. A sell out crowd roared Qato to victory in a bad tempered affair taking the scorecards on a unanimous decision — Jean Marcel Nartz (Germany) 118:109, Artur Ellensohn, (Germany) 117:110, Matteo Fratini (Italy) 118:109. The fight was part of the World Boxing Federation’s first convention currently being staged in Albania. (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.