firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Santillan still unbeaten
- UFC 179 Study Guide
- Brähmer opponent named: Pawel Glazewski
- Perez retains WBA interim lightweight belt
- Rodriguez defeats Rodriguez
- Fight for Water 3 Weights
- Weights from Panama
- UFC 179 at the scales
- Oscar to officially announce Dec 6 card
- "Fights at the Fitz" returns this Saturday
- Former European champ Pat Barrett to promote first boxing show
Former two-time world cruiserweight champion Jean-Marc Mormeck of France puts his climb up the heavyweight ranks on the line against veteran USBA and NABA heavyweight champion Fres Oquendo. The bout is being promoted by Mormeck’s J3M Management in association with Roy Jones, Jr.’s Square Ring Promotions on Thursday, May 6 in the Halle Carpentier Arena in Paris and will be televised over the Orange Network in France. The 37 year old Mormeck 34-3 (22 KOs), will be making his second appearance at heavyweight, having won a unanimous decision over tough American Vinny Maddalone on December 17, 2009. (more…)
WBA interim super lightweight champion Marcos Maidana pulled out of his fight against undefeated WBO junior welterweight champion Timothy Bradley today. The public news conference scheduled for Tuesday at Agua Caliente Casino Resort Spa in Rancho Mirage, Calif. is canceled. Gary Shaw, who co-promotes Bradley with Thompson Boxing Promotions, received a call from Eric Gomez, Vice President/Matchmaker of Golden Boy Promotions, Maidana’s co-promoter, moments ago informing him that Maidana was pulling out of the fight. “Eric told me Maidana missed his flight to the U.S. and later in the same conversation told me Maidana’s back was still injured and that he would not be fighting Timmy on July 17,” said Shaw. “Obviously Maidana’s back was not getting any better and a call to us last week from Team Maidana would have been the professional thing to do. But HBO and Agua Caliente are standing behind Timmy and his July 17 date, and I expect to announce Timmy’s new opponent soon.”
Antonio Margarito arrived in Aguascalientes on Sunday night for his big fight this Saturday in the Plaza de Toros Monumental in Aguascalientes where he will take on Roberto “La Amenaza” Garcia in the main event of Latin Fury 14 to be telecast by Top Rank on pay-per-view. (more…)
Fight fans in Iowa City were treated to a display of four of boxing’s finest prospects on Saturday night, May 1st, as TKO Boxing Promotions presented bouts featuring Mikael Zewski, Terence Crawford, J’Leon Love and Michael Finney at the Johnson County 4-H Fairgrounds. (more…)
By Ricardo Conde
With only days away until his return to the ring, former three-time welterweight world champion, Antonio “Tijuana Tornado” Margarito (37-6, 27 KO’s) of Tijuana, Mexico, trained by former junior lightweight champion, Robert Garcia, has completed his preparations in Oxnard, CA and departed on Sunday for Mexico. Click here for a full report and more photos.
The World Championships Committee of the World Boxing Association (WBA) conducted three purse bids on Monday afternoon at the Wynn Resort & Casino in Las Vegas for the following title fights: Anthony Mundine vs Gennady Golovkin, Daiki Kameda vs Takefumi Sakata and Beibut Shumenov vs Vyacheslav Uzelkov. The purse bids were directed by WBA executives, Gilberto Jesus Mendoza and Jose Oliver Gomez.
The first purse bid was for the WBA Middleweight title, between Anthony Mundine (AUS) and Gennady Golovkin (KAZ). Epic Sport Management in association with Top rank won the bid with an offer of $1,210,000 dollars. Per WBA rules, the champion will receive 50% of the purse and the challenger 50%. The minimum purse bid was set at $200,000. Epic Sport Management and Top Rank announced the fight will happen in the month of July.
The second purse bid was for the WBA Flyweight title, between Daiki Kameda (JAP) and Takefumi Sakata (JAP). Kyoei Boxing won the bid with an offer of $315,000 dollars. Per WBA rules, the champion will receive 75% of the purse and the challenger 25%. The minimum purse bid was set at $80,000. Per Kyoei, the fight will happen on July 24, July 25 or July 31.
The third purse bid was for the WBA Light Heavyweight title, between Beibut Shumenov (KAZ) and Vyacheslav Uzelkov (UKR). K2 Promotions and KZ Events reached an agreement. Per WBA rules, the champion will receive 75% of the purse and the challenger 25%. The minimum purse bid was set at $200,000.
By Chris Cozzone
What was already a solid local card, set for this Friday at Isleta Casino & Resort in Albuquerque, has just gotten two televised bouts better. Danny Romero’s Romero Productions has teamed up with Golden Boy Promotions to make Isleta the site for this Friday’s ESPN2’s “Friday Night Fights” card. The card, originally set for El Paso’s Don Haskins Center, was nixed after local attraction Antonio Escalante pulled out of his fight due to an injury.
Friday’s TV spotlight falls on Cuban light-heavyweight Yordanis Despaigne (5-0, 4 KOs) who, with just five pro bouts, takes on 36-fight veteran Richard Hall (29-7, 27 KOs) in a ten-rounder. In the co-main, Maryland heavyweight Seth “Mayhem” Mitchell (16-0-1, 10 KOs) will go eight with Louisiana’s Johnnie White (22-1, 18 KOs). In the local main event, a battle of “Mad” cruiserweights, “Mad” Max Heyman (23-10-4, 13 KOs) continues his comeback in a crosstown, eight-round grudge match with “Mad” Mike Alderete (6-4-2, 3 KOs). (more…)
Sauerland Event has inked former IBF cruiserweight champion Steve Cunningham to a promotional contract. “With the WBO titleholder Marco Huck, Yoan Pablo Hernandez and Alexander Frenkel we’re already well established in the cruiserweight division. With the signing of Steve Cunningham, now there are even better prospects,” said promoter Kalle Sauerland. Cunningham is rated #1 by the IBF and in line to fight for the vacant belt. “Of course we hope that he wins the IBF belt,” added Sauerland. “He’s an outstanding boxer.” Cunningham is well known in Germany for his win over current WBO champion Marco Huck.
By Francisco Salazar
Long after the post-fight press conference had officially ended, Floyd Mayweather remained on the dais, answering more questions from reporters and giving live television interviews. He even stayed longer to sign gloves, media credentials, and posters to those in attendance before heading to his official post-fight party at Studio 54 at the MGM Grand.
On top of the 15,117 people in attendance inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer announced that 12,748 seats were sold at closed circuit locations at other casinos and venues in Las Vegas. Schaefer also announced that Saturday’s gate exceeded $11 million.
Floyd Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe told Fightnews.com that plans are in progress to promote a show featuring boxers that fight under the Mayweather Promotions banner. Ellerbe did not elaborate on where and when, but one would assume it would be in or near Las Vegas, where Mayweather Promotions is based out of. Dion Savage, Jessie Vargas, Said Ouali, and Cornelius Lock are not only are promoted by Mayweather, but saw action on Saturday night. Of all the fighters, Lock was the only fighter who did not win, losing a close unanimous decision to Featherweight contender Daniel Ponce De Leon.
Mayweather-Mosley will be replayed on HBO Saturday along with the live telecast of the 154-pound showdown between Paul Williams and Kermit Cintron.
Perfect. The Merriam Webster Dictionary has multiple definitions for that adjective. Maybe the simplest way to define it is with two words: Lyoto Machida. 16-0 as a professional. 8-0 in the UFC. 2-0 in title fights . . . Click here for more by Michael DiSanto, UFC
The World Boxing Organization (WBO) and president Francisco “Paco” Valcárcel presented last Saturday the 9th Edition of the WBO Cupey Race and Track Invitational with hundreds of kids in action from Puerto Rico, Curacao and St. Croix, dedicated to WBO super bantamweight champion Wilfredo Vázquez Jr., and with the presence of some world and former world champions.
“We are so proud of bringing this event again for the kids or Puerto Rico and with the purpose of living better without drugs”, said Valcárcel.
The event, that placed in Cupey Track’s Field, had the great total of 651 boys and girls from 33 teams of Puerto Rico and from Curacao and St. Croix.
There was in the event world champions Iván “Iron Boy” Calderón, Juan Manuel “Juanma” López, Román “Rocky” Martínez, Vázquez Jr., prospects McJoe and McWilliams Arroyo, and Jayson Vélez. Also, former champions Félix “Tito” Trinidad, Wilfredo Vázquez, Alfredo “Salsero” Escalera and Álex “El Nene” Sánchez.
From the WBO judges José H. Rivera, José Roberto Torres, César Ramos and Roberto Ramírez father and son , president Valcárcel, Adolfo Flores, Manuel Marrero Hueca, Mario Rivera Martinó, and Mayor of San Juan, Jorge Santini.
Albania staged its biggest ever boxing night on Sunday when national hero Kreshnik ‘The Eagle’ Qato defended his WBF world middleweight title against Esteban Waldemar Ponce in the Albanian capital Tirana. A sell out crowd roared Qato to victory in a bad tempered affair taking the scorecards on a unanimous decision — Jean Marcel Nartz (Germany) 118:109, Artur Ellensohn, (Germany) 117:110, Matteo Fratini (Italy) 118:109. The fight was part of the World Boxing Federation’s first convention currently being staged in Albania. (more…)
By Jeff Zimmerman at Ringside
Former bantamweight champion Paulie Ayala promoted an entertaining night of fights this past Thursday at the Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas, which is better known for fast cars, not fast knockouts but that might change with the triumphant return of former heavyweight contender Kirk Johnson.
Johnson (37-2, 27 KO’s) fought an outclassed (and that’s putting it politely) Douglas Robertson (3-24-2) and he did what he was supposed to do, which was end the fight quickly. Johnson stopped Robertson in the first round of a scheduled four-rounder. For Johnson, who had been out of the ring for almost four years, just getting in the ring was an accomplishment. Click here for a complete report and photos
After his win over Shane Mosley Saturday night, Floyd Mayweather celebrated at his official after-fight party in the MGM Grand’s Studio 54. Mayweather was all smiles as throngs of fans went wild, screaming and chanting “champion.” Floyd mingled with fans as he made his way around the iconic nightclub. Traveling with an entourage 30 deep, Mayweather took a moment to ‘two-step’ on his way to the exclusive VIP lounge. Resident DJ Clue shouted, “This is for you Floyd!” and played DJ Khaled’s “All I Do is Win” while the crowd toasted. Among those in attendance was former world champion Zab Judah.
The question was “Who R U Picking?” and after twelve rounds it was apparent that “Sugar” Shane Mosley picked the wrong fighter to step in the ring with on Saturday night in front of 15,117 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, NV. A bevy of celebrities ranging from Jay-Z and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson witnessed arguably this era’s greatest fighter as Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. turned in a virtuoso performance as he defeated Mosley by unanimous decision in their highly anticipated welterweight bout . . . Click here for more
Boxing is considered as a brutal sport that is affectionately coined as the hurt business. But on Saturday night in front of 15,117 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, NV, Floyd “Money” Mayweather put on an artful demonstration utilizing superior choreography to orchestrate a brilliant 12-round unanimous decision over “Sugar” Shane Mosley. It was truly a thing of beauty . . . . Click here for more
Floyd Mayweather: “If Manny Pacquaio wants to fight, it is not hard to find me. We were going to make the fight a couple of months back but it didn’t happen. I take my hat off to Mosley. He had problems in the past but he’s a warrior. He took the blood and urine tests. I just want everyone to be on an even playing field. If every athlete is clean in the sport of boxing, take the test. If Manny Pacquaio takes the blood and urine tests, we can fight. If he doesn’t, we won’t make the fight. (more…)
By Joe Koizumi
Filipino Randy Suico (29-5-1, 25 KOs) acquired his third OPBF belt in the 140-pound division—after his reign in the super-feather and light classes—when he registered a TKO victory over Kyungsuk Kwak (8-3, 5 KOs), Korea, at 1:02 of the fifth round in the twelve-round elimination bout on Saturday in Onyang, Korea. Suico once fought in a quest for the WBA lightweight throne, losing to Juan Diaz via ninth round TKO in Las Vegas, and moved up to the super-light category. His shot at the OPBF belt against Jungbum Kim was slated in Cheju during the WBC convention last December, but was unfortunately postponed due to financial problems of the local promotion. Then, Kim decided to renounce his OPBF belt to jump up two classed to the 154-pound division. The OPBF#1 Suico was forced to meet Kim’s replacement Kwak who moved down from the super-welter division. From the outset Suico took the initiative and put on a give-and-take performance with the durable and game Korean. In the fatal fifth, referee Pinit Pradsab, Thailand, declared a halt to Kwak who had absorbed much punishment. Suico became the second Asian that gained three OPBF belts in as many different classes, following Crazy Kim (retired) of Japan (who had once won the 154-pound, 168-pound and 175-pound thrones).
By Joe Koizumi
Just a day after the leading Japanese boxer Hozumi Hasegawa’s forfeiture of his WBC bantam belt, a dual national title bout took place at the Korakuen Hall. WBA#10/WBC#13 minimum Akira Yaegashi (13-2, 7 KOs), 105, came off the canvas in the first round and barely kept his national belt by being awarded a hairline unanimous verdict over the JBC top contender Kosuke Takeuchi (10-2-1, 4 KOs), 105, over ten fast rounds on Saturday in Tokyo, Japan. The lanky challenger’s left hook on shifting to southpaw stance beautifully decked the champ in the first round, but the fast-handed champ came back and completely dominated the second half to be in command the second half with his busier combinations.
Game and durable Yota Sato (18-2-1, 9 KOs), 115, overcame the first two round dominated by previously unbeaten WBC#11/WBA#11 Goh Onaga (15-1-1, 11 KOs), 115, and accelerated his pressure to acquire the vacant national interim belt by a TKO victory caused by Onaga’s badly swollen left optic at 0:32 of the seventh round in a scheduled ten. Sato’s desperate retaliation had the early starter’s left optic swollen and a JBC physician saw Onaga was unfit to go on due to the almost closed eye. Promoter: Ohashi Promotions.
Marco “Captain” Huck (29-1, 22 KOs) made a successful third defence of his WBO Cruiserweight Title when he stopped Brian “The Beast” Minto (34-4, 21 KOs) in the tenth round of their clash in Oldenburg, Germany. “It was a spectacular fight and I really take my hat off to Minto,” Huck said. “I was surprised how many shots he could take. I knocked him down three times but he refused to give up. He has a big heart and you have to give him a lot of credit for carrying on. I am very pleased with my performance. It was the third defense and I am keen to inflict some more damage to my opponents at cruiserweight and unify the belts.” (more…)
By Joe Koizumi
A shockwave of WBC bantam champ Hozumi Hasegawa’s annihilation by Mexican Fernando Montiel has extended as we now realize that the Japanese hero suffered a fracture on the jaw bone. It wasn’t produced by Montiel’s coup-de-grace, a devastating left hook, just prior to the 2:59 stoppage of the fourth but by an unrecognized punch during the opening session. The ex-champ reflected, saying “I began to feel an acute pain at the molar tooth in the first round when I took Montiel’s uppercut. I didn’t care and kept fighting. As the exam proved my jaw was broken, I realize it happened in the opening session.” He hurriedly returned to his native Kobe city and will undergo a surgery to fix it there. His manager/trainer Masato Yamashita strongly expressed his wish for a rematch with Montiel, though Hasegawa himself hopes to take a rest and consider what to do. Before his surgery is done, they will make a final decision on the dethroned champ’s future.
By Andreas Hale and Francisco Salazar at ringside
Unbeaten boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) scored a one-sided twelve round unanimous decision over WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley (46-6, 39 KOs) on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Not many connects in round one, but Mosley rocked Mayweather with some hard shots in round two. It was all Mayweather after that. Floyd boxed well in round three and four as Mosley was unable to catch him. A lot of feinting but not much fighting in round five – advantage Floyd. Mosley was unable to deal with Floyd’s speed as Floyd picked him apart. Knowing he’s down on the cards, Mosley tried to force exchanges, but Floyd’s counters did more damage. Floyd was able to hit Mosley at will down the stretch as Shane was just unable to figure him out. Scores were 119-109, 119-109, 118-110. After the fight, Mayweather said he would not fight Pacquiao unless Pacquiao agrees to blood testing. It is believed Mosley’s WBA belt will be vacated as Floyd was not fighting for the WBA title. This leaves little known Vyacheslav Senchenko as WBA champion.
Former interim super flyweight champion Tomas Rojas (33-11, 23 KOs) scored a one-sided four round blowout of Jorge ‘Veneno’ Cardenas (14-11, 9 KOs) on Saturday night at the Deportivo La Inalámbrica in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. Rojas scored two knockdowns in round one, another in round three, and twice more in round four before the bout was waved off at the 2:48 mark.
In a clash for the WBC Youth super lightweight championship, Jaime ‘El Indio’ Barboza (15-3, 6 KOs) scored a spectacular seventh round stoppage of previously unbeaten Jose Pinzon (16-1-1, 10 KOs). Barboza was dropped at the end of round six, but he came back to floor Pinzon in the seventh and the bout was waved off. Time was :48.
Jr flyweight Jose Segovia (403, 4 KOs) shocked previously unbeaten Eduardo Estrella (7-1, 5 KOs) with a first round TKO. Time was 2:48.
By Andreas Hale and Francisco Salazar at ringside
Unbeaten junior middleweight Saul Alvarez (33-0-1, 24 KOs) survived a scare, but won a ninth round TKO over Jose Miguel Cotto (31-2-1, 23 KOs). Cotto, the older brother of Miguel Cotto, staggered Alvarez with a left hook in round one, but Alvarez survived the round. Alvarez then dropped Cotto in round two and took over the bout thereafter. Tony Weeks finally waved it off at 2:51 of round nine.
Former world champion Daniel Ponce De Leon (39-2, 32 KOs) scored a workmanlike ten round unanimous decision over Cornelius Lock (19-5-1, 12 KOs) in a featherweight bout. Scores were 96-94, 97-93, 96-94
In a wild welterweight clash, Said Ouali (27-3, 19 KOs) scored a first round KO over Hector Saldivia (31-2, 24 KOs). Saldivia dropped Ouali in the first twenty seconds, but Ouali came back to drop Saldivia twice. Time was 1:47.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.