firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Marqeuz, Bradley & Provodnikov under consideration for Pacquiao's next fight
- 11 Strawweights Join UFC From Invicta
- Ouma wins in comeback fight
- Soliman-Sherrington Full Report
- Sergio "Yeyo" Thompson returns Saturday
- Laurence Cole to ref Broner-Maidana
- Gamalier Rodriguez ready for Dos Santos
- Bergman headlines WV Card
- Derric Rossy opponent named
- Pavlik pleads not guilty to drunk driving
The “Rosneft” OJSC Oil Company and the “MIC” Group of Companies have come together as the organizers of the clash between two super heavyweight Olympic and world boxing champions – Wladimir Klitschko and Аlexander Povetkin. Bout agreements have been approved and executed by the World Boxing Association (“WBA”). The arena, selected to house the event, is one of the largest sports-complexes in Moscow – the “Olimpiyskiy.”
Igor Setchin, President and Chairman of the Executive Board of the “Rosneft” OJSC Oil Company, noted: “We understand the interest and significance given to the event by all boxing fans and supporters, the fight between two legendary athletes, two Olympic champions. This contest between two very strong opponents will not only be a real spectacle to behold, but will also make a great contribution to the development of mass sport and the spirit of sportsmanship for upcoming athletes. So, “Rosneft” keeps up the great tradition of supporting both professional and amateur athletes.”
After extended negotiations on one of the most eagerly awaited world boxing bouts, an agreement have been finally reached. Last week the WBA issued an official resolution approving all the provisions of the agreements. (more…)
Boxing fans are invited to the Nokia Plaza at L.A. LIVE tonight for the final leg of the ten-city press tour with Floyd “Money” Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez discussing their September 14 mega-fight. Promoter and ring legend Oscar de la Hoya will also be in attendance. The festivities start at 7:30PM and fans are encouraged to arrive early.
“I’m in the best shape of my career. I’ve never felt this good before.”
We’ve heard it a thousand times from a thousand fighters. Some break out one of the sport’s chief clichés every other fight. It’s gotten to the point that we just accept it to be a half-truth. . . . Click here for more on UFC.com
. . . .
Coming up next: UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman is LIVE on PPV from Las Vegas on Saturday, July 6 at 10 PM ET / 7 PM PT. Click here for more
Promoter Eddie Hearn says that a huge all-British super middleweight world title showdown between IBF and WBA champion Carl Froch and unbeaten Commonwealth champion George Groves could happen later this year. Reacting to news that the IBF have ordered Froch to face mandatory challenger Groves, Hearn, who promotes both fighters clarified the position on both boxers and the potential of a clash between the champ, who turns 36 today, and the 25 year old Londoner. “We are in talks regarding a potential blockbuster domestic fight later this year,” said Hearn. “Both fighters have plenty of options and although it’s a fight we originally envisaged for next summer, if it makes sense for both fighters, neither has a problem with making it happen.” An announcement will be made next week regarding future plans for both fighters.
On July 20, Sampson Boxing returns to Uruguay with a card at the Estadio “8 de Junio” in the City of Paysandu headlined by a 10-round WBA female lightweight title bout between defending champion Cecilia “La Reina” Comunales (10-1, 6 KOs) and Marisol “Sondora” Reyes (11-6-1, 5 KOs). This will be the second defense for Comunales, a national hero in Uruguay and major celebrity.
Also scheduled that night is 10-round super featherweight battle between WBA and IBF #15-rated contender Israel “Cachito” Perez (25-2-1, 14 KOs) and veteran Francisco “El Ahogado” Lorenzo (39-11, 17 KOs).
On the undercard, WBC #6 and IBF #13 super flyweight Javier “Chispita” Chacon (18-1, 4 KOs) will appear, as will light welterweight Victor Abreu (3-0, 1 KO) against Jose Carlos “Puro” Paz (4-1, 2 KOs) in an eight-rounder. In the opening bout, Las Vegas featherweight Rocco Santomauro (9-0) will return from injury to fight for the first time in Uruguay, his ancestral home.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
A source has told to fightnews.com taht the Colombian IBF super bantamweight world champion Jonathan Romero could defend his world title against Spanish Kiko Martinez next August 17 in Atlantic City.
By Ron Jackson
The exciting young bantamweight Immanuel Naidjala of Namibia makes the first defence of his IBF International bantamweight title against Emilio Norfat of Kenya in a return match at the Windhoek Country Club Resort and Casino, Namibia on Friday night. The undefeated Naidjala who has a record of 16 wins with 10 coming inside the distance and 1 draw, won the vacant title in March this year when he outpointed the tough Leslie Sekotswe of Botswana in a closely contested fight at the Windhoek Country Club Resort. (more…)
WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko’s title defense against Alexander Povetkin has been signed and set for October 5 at Moscow’s Olimpiisky arena. Promoter Andrei Ryabinsky confirmed the information to R-Sport on Tuesday.
Undefeated heavyweight prospect Artur “The Pin” Szpilka arrived in Chicago on Monday night for “The Big Fight 2″ Kickoff Press Conference on Tuesday afternoon at U.S. Cellular Field, Home of the Chicago White Sox. Szpilka and Chicago based veteran contender, “Merciless” Mike Mollo will head back to the ring at U.S. Cellular Field on Friday, AUGUST 16 in a “Can’t Miss” rematch of their thrilling battle which took place on February 1, 2013 at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion. The highly anticipated Szpilka/Mollo rematch will be one of the featured bouts at ‘The Big Fight 2″ along with the light heavyweight clash between “Chicago’s Polish Prince” and IBO Light Heavyweight World Champion Andrzej Fonfara and former world champion Gabriel “EL Chico Guapo” Campillo. Both bouts will be telecast LIVE on the season ending episode of ESPN’s Friday Night Fights. Starting at $32, tickets are on sale through Ticketmaster by calling (800) 745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets can also be purchased through the U.S. Cellular Field Box Office and through 8 Count Productions, (312) 226-5800.
Sad to report that exciting former lightweight contender Gary “Tiger” Balletto has suffered a broken neck in a trampoline accident and is currently in critical condition in a Rhode Island hospital. The accident happened Sunday at his home. The 38-year-old Balletto retired in 2006 with a record of 31-3-2, 26 KOs. Leave a message of support for Gary at https://www.facebook.com/gballetto.
Photos: Tom Casino / Showtime
“THE ONE: MAYWEATHER VS. CANELO” press tour continued Monday with two stops in Texas. In Houston, a couple hundred fans began lining up at 3:00 a.m. for a press conference that started at 1:00 p.m. By the time the press conference officially commenced at Union Station At Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros, an overflow crowd of over 1,000 fans had filled the stadium’s grand lobby to beyond capacity. The nine-day, 10-city tour continued Monday night at The Alamo in San Antonio. The press conference didn’t start until 6:00 p.m., but fans were in line by 7:00 a.m. Due to a flight delay, Mayweather was an hour and forty-five minutes late and by the time he arrived, Canelo had come and gone.
However, Mayweather provided a little glimpse into his future, saying he may fight more than the five more times after which he has previously said he would retire.
“After my five more fights, guess what? I think after 49-0 we may stay in this sport a little longer,” he said. “This September 14, it’s just another walk in the park.” As he has throughout the tour, Mayweather thanked the fans. “There is no city like San Antonio,” he told the approximately 5,000 in attendance. “You fans have been brilliant over the years. Without San Antonio, Floyd Mayweather wouldn’t be where he’s at today. If you don’t know, Mayweather loves Mexico. Mexican and Latino fans, you know boxing. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Daniel Geale is in solid training for his fifth defense of the IBF middleweight title against Darren Barker in Atlantic City on August 17 and trainer Graham Shaw has selected the best sparring partners in WBA #7 super middleweight Ben McCullough, who he says is similar in style to Barker, also highly regarded light heavyweight Trent Broadhurst and former IBF rated 154 pounder Rob Medley. They are the same sparring partners he used for wins over Sebastian Sylvester, Felix Sturm and Anthony Mundine. Newly crowned WBC super middleweight champion Sakio Bika has also been a regular Geale sparring partner in the past but he has not been available for the Barker fight. Geale’s trainer Graham Shaw and manager Bill Treacy will depart Australia with Geale for the USA on August 7th and are confident their charge will be successful and later challenge WBA champion Gennady Golovkin and WBC champion Sergio Martinez to decide who is the best 160 pounder in the world. Australian bookmakers have listed Geale as a firm favourite to defeat Barker.
“Training’s going to be very tough right up until when we leave for the US about ten days out from the fight,” Geale said. “I’ll be sparring up until then pretty much. At the moment I’m sparring with Ben McCullough – he’s good because he is naturally pretty similar to Barker. We’ll spar with Trent Broadhurst as well and Rob Medley, and they can both do a good job of working like Barker against me. Then we’ll head over to the US and do a bit of publicity in New York City, then head to Atlantic City for the fight.”
Anderson Silva’s reign of terror over the middleweight division began with a three-minute mauling of Rich Franklin in October 2006 and, in the seven years since, “The Spider” has barely been challenged inside the Octagon®, turning away a Who’s Who in the 185-pound and even 205-pound divisions. (more…)
Carl Froch has been ordered by the IBF to defend his supermiddleweight bout against George Groves or be stripped. Froch currently holds both the IBF and WBA versions of the 168-pound belt.
Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson is telling Saul Alvarez and Floyd Mayweather to take their promo elsewhere, rather than fight on the “hallowed ground” of Alamo Plaza. More Mayweather and Alvarez are scheduled to hold a press conference tomorrow night in San Antonio.
Boxing is better than scoring, former pro soccer player Leon McKenzie tells British press. More
It will be a battle of former world title challengers on July 26th as Juan Carlos Burgos will square off with Daulis Prescott in an ESPN2-televised twelve round bout for the WBO Intercontinental Jr. Lightweight title that will be held at the Thunder Valley Casino Resort in Sacramento, California. Burgos (30-1-1, 20 KOs) battled WBO jr. lightweight champion Roman Martinez to a draw in his last fight. Prescott (26-2, 19 KOs) is coming off an unsuccessful bid for the WBA featherweight crown against Nicholas Walters.
Special guests scheduled to be in attendance will be former world champions Tony “The Tiger” Lopez, Loreto Garza, James Toney and Hall of Fame referee Joe Cortez.
Tickets for this outstanding evening of boxing are $149.50, $124.50, $99.50. $74.50, $59.50, $45.50 & $39.50 and can be purchased at The Thunder Valley Resort & Casino and Ticketmaster.com. Doors open at 5pm with the ESPN Broadcast beginning at 6pm.
By Brett Bonetti
Photo by Tony Tolj
Daniel “Tatu” Brizuela (25-1-2, 8 KO’s) has arrived in Perth, Australia today ahead of his IBO World Lightweight Title showdown against former IBO World Featherweight Champion Daud “Indonesian Thunder” Yordan (30-3, 23 KO’s) this Saturday night at Perth Metro City.
Brizuela who is a WBO and IBF Latin American Champion as well an Argentinean Boxing representative at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens has vowed to take the title back to Argentina. “It is my dream to win the World Title and bring it back to Argentina,” Brizuela said. (more…)
By Brett Bonetti
Sam Soliman (43-11, 17 KOs) has finally been confirmed as the IBF number one contender for the world middleweight title. The IBF has ratified Soliman’s position as the number one contender following representations from Team Soliman to the IBF after US drug testing cleared Soliman from taking any illicit substances under IBF drug protocols, following his unanimous decision win against Germany’s Felix Sturm (37-4-2, 16 KOs) in Dusseldorf on February 1, 2013.
The IBF decision upholds the result of the Soliman/Sturm fight, despite Germany’s local boxing association, the Bund Deutscher Berufsboxwer (BDB), announcing a ban of nine months, claiming Soliman had taken a performance enhancing drug.
“My determination to become the IBF world middleweight champion is unwavering,” Soliman said. “I’m back on track, and it’s a good feeling. I’m only two fights away from tasting the glory. I’m training hard and am in the best form of my boxing career. Plans are well underway for my next fight. My management has received interest from three of the top five contenders in the middleweight division who want my number one spot.” (more…)
Mike Pierce sports an 8-3 record in the UFC.
Of the three men to beat him, only Johny Hendricks has yet to fight for a title, and that fact will change come November, “Good Lord willing” as Hendricks would say . . . Click here for more on UFC.com
. . . .
Coming up next: UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman is LIVE on PPV from Las Vegas on Saturday, July 6 at 10 PM ET / 7 PM PT. Click here for more
In the wake of the devastating Arizona wildfire that killed 19 elite firefighters, the Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez boxing press conference scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday, July 2, at The Herberger Theater Center in Phoenix has been cancelled. The press conference, which was to be open to the public, was cancelled out of respect for the firefighters who lost their lives as they battled wildfires Sunday in areas northwest of Phoenix. A donation will be made on behalf of the promotion to The 100 Club’s Survivor Fund in memory of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, a specialist team of wildfire firefighters based in Prescott, Ariz., whose members died during the tragic blaze. The 100 Club’s Survivor Fund’s mission is “to provide immediate financial assistance to families of public safety officers and firefighters who are seriously injured or killed in the line of duty.” Tuesday’s press conference was to have featured Mayweather and Alvarez who are in the closing stages of a 10-city press tour to discuss their Sept. 14 fight.
DiBella says Martinez is out until the first half of 2014, but is willing to fight Golovkin in the future
Promoter Lou DiBella told Fightnews.com today that WBC middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez is willing to face WBA middleweight king Gennady Golovkin in the future. “Sergio reached out to Sampson (Lewkowicz) and me today,” DiBella told Fightnews.com. “He said that history will show that he has embraced every challenge available to him in his career. His legacy will be that he was always willing to fight the best. Right now, his concentration is on healing and rehabilitation and he will not fight until sometime in the first half of 2014. He wanted to make it clear that he is willing to fight Gennady Golovkin in the future. Any conversations now about timing would be premature and inappropriate. Tell all your little Twitter followers to calm down and enjoy watching Golovkin in the meantime.”
On Saturday afternoon July 6th, former two-time Heavyweight championship challenger, Tony “The Tiger” Thompson will try to make it two for two when he takes on 2008 Olympic Bronze Medal Winner David Price in the most anticipated heavyweight rematch of the year. The fight can be seen Live In the United States on Wealth TV and WealthTV.com. The card begins at 2:30 pm est / 11:30 am Pacific
Thompson shocked the boxing world on February 23rd when he scored a stunning one punch knockout over a then undefeated Price. Thompson looks to be even better this time around. “Training camp has been excellent. It actually has been one of the best camps in the last few years,” said Thompson. (more…)
By Przemek Garczarczyk
K2 managing director and GGG promoter Tom Loeffler talks about WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin’s future.
By James Slater
After Saturday night’s blistering display by superbly talented puncher Gennady Golovkin, you could not blame fighters for wanting to avoid the unbeaten middleweight champion. However, avoiding tough fights is just not super-middleweight ruler Carl Froch’s way, and today on Sky Sports, “The Cobra’s” promoter spoke about the possibility of a Froch-Golovkin showdown taking place next year – this despite the manner in which “GGG” destroyed the usually durable Matthew Macklin inside just three-rounds.
“Golovkin is one of the most widely avoided fighters on the planet and fair play to Macklin for stepping up, but Golovkin is a freak of nature. He’s a beast,” Eddie Hearn told Sky. “According to HBO he’d be willing to step up to super-middleweight and a fight with Carl Froch would just be epic. Froch, granite chin – Golovkin, one of the biggest pound-for-pound punchers in the world. Carl Froch will fight any man. Whilst Golovkin is largely avoided, Froch will quite willingly step up and ideally that is a fight that could happen in the middle of 2014.”
Wherever this would-be classic match-up took place, fans would very much want to see it. And, with names like Sergio Martinez likely to be unavailable for Golovkin any time soon, it just might be that a move up to 168-pounds is one Golovkin will take. The fans would be the real winners if a Golovkin-Froch fight took place.
Modern day road warrior Marcus “Hurelius” Upshaw (15-9-2, 7 KOs) has unfinished business to take care of this Saturday night as the 32-year-old Floridian ventures to Minnesota for a rematch against “Sir” Carresso Fort (16-1-1, 11 KOs) in an eight-round bout at Black Bear Casino. Upshaw and Fort fought September 9, 2011 in Tampa, Florida. The fight somehow ended in a six-round split draw with Upshaw winning on two of three judges’ scorecards (58-56, 58-56) with the other a draw (57-57).
“I won the fight, two of the judges had me winning, but I guess they didn’t want to give him (Fort) his first loss and it was called a draw,” Upshaw said. “It’s just going to be me and him in the ring and this time it isn’t going to go the distance. I should have gotten him out the last time. I don’t know why I didn’t win a split decision. (more…)
False alarm: We’ve been informed that this is a promo for H.I.S. Jeans, which has a five year business partnership with Wladimir Klitschko. Big thanks to @BoxingUkraine.
What is this supposed to mean? Will Vitali vacate his WBC belt? Will Wladimir will not fight against Povetkin?
— Klitschko (@Klitschko) July 1, 2013
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.