email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Perez to defend against Maicelo January 9
- Crawford, Beltran, Gradovich, Velez make weight
- Provodnikov KOs Castillo in five
- Weights from Denmark
- Fury-Chisora weigh-in results
- Jayson Velez: This Saturday I will become world champion
- Bigg Rigg's Best: Defining Johny Hendricks
- Edner Cherry targets Gamboa, top 130-pounders
- Q&A: Johnny Determan
- Boxing Buzz
- Provodnikov-Castillo weights from Moscow
and make sure you're getting the latest updates.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
We have received information about Everardo “Zihua” Morales now facing Tomas “Gusano” Rojas for the WBC super flyweight Interim title on July 18 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Previously Panamanian prospect Ricardo “Matematico” Nuñez was penciled in against Rojas for the bout. The 32-year-old Morales has a record of 32-13-2 with 22 KOs, and has been faced the likes of Gerson Guerrero, Isidro Garcia, Melchor Cob, Omar Narvaez, Juan Alberto Roses, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam and Koki Kameda among others.
By Robert Coster
Photos: Olivier Monserrat-Robert
Click the photo to go to the next photo
A press conference was held yesterday in Poitiers at the posh Mercure Hotel in this historic French city in order to preview the much expected battle between WBA bantamweight champion Anselmo “Chemito” Moreno of Panama and his French challenger, former WBA junior featherweight champion and local hero Mahyar Monshipour on Saturday. (more…)
WBA super lightweight world champion Andreas Kotelnik says he will beat Amir Khan at the M.E.N Arena in Manchester, England on July 18 and dedicate the victory to his hero the late Oscar-winning actor Jack Palance, whose family also came from the city of Lviv in the Ukraine. In the early 1940s, Palance, who was born Volodymyr Palahniuk, he was a heavyweight prospect, winning his first 15 fights before WWII cut short his career. “When I told him I was a boxer like him, he patted me on the head and told me America was where I had to conquer if I wanted to make it big,” said Kotelnik. I’ve not quite got that far yet, but I am a world champion and after I have knocked out Amir Khan I will go to America and prove that I am the best light-welterweight in the world. We have had some very famous Ukrainians over the years, but I will become the most famous of them all when I smash Khan on July 18.”
Weights by Alexey Sukachev
Photos: Evgeny Solodov
Click the photo to go to the next photo
Grigory Drozd 198.5 vs Darnell Wilson 200
(WBO Asia Pacific and PABA cruiserweight titles)
Andrey Isaev 126 vs Chaiyong Sithsaithong 125
(WBO Asia Pacific featherweight title)
Dmitry Ganiev 134 vs Sapapetch Sor Sakaorat 133
(PABA and interim WBO Asia Pacific lightweight title)
Vasily Lepikhin* 174.8 vs Roman Simakov 174
(Vacant BBU light heavyweight title)
Georgy Kevlishvili 126 vs Saichon Sotornpitak 125
Magomed Abdusalamov 254.5 vs Sherzod Mamajanov 200.5
Sahib Usarov 127.8 vs Rakhim Mingaleev**
Vyacheslav Glazkov 221 vs Ozcan Cetinkaya**
* – Lepikhin was overweight at 176 lbs, but successfully made the weight one hour later
** – Mingaleev and Cetinkaya will weigh-in later
Venue: “Dynamo” Sports Arena, Krylatskoe, Moscow
Promoter: German Titov
By Lee Bates
Word has it that IBF junior welter champion Juan Urango (21-2-1, 16 KOs) could defend his title against former world champion and mandatory challenger Randall Bailey (39-6, 35 KOs) Friday,August 28th. Its possible that the bout could take place at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida and possibly televised on ESPN 2 Friday Night Fights series. Urango promoted by Warriors Boxing is coming off of a unanimous decision loss to WBC champion Andre Berto but Urango`s title was not at stake. Bailey promoted by Lou Dibella is coming off of an impressive 4th round KO over then world ranked contender Francisco Figueroa. The fans would be the true winners in this type of fight as neither fighter takes a step back when fighting and each has serious knockout power.
Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum has commented on the passing of ring legend Alexis Arguello, who fought on many Top Rank cards. “We at Top Rank are very saddened to learn about the death of Alexis Arguello. Alexis was one of the world’s greatest fighters and champions. More importantly, he was a real man, true gentleman and loyal friend. He will be greatly missed.”
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Photos: Courtesy WBC
Click the photo to go to the next photo
Legendary three-time former world champion Alexis Arguello, 57, died today from what has been reported as a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his residence in Managua, Nicaragua. Arguello had taken on the job of Mayor of Managua in January of 2009 representing the majority pro-government Sandinista Front of National Liberation (FSLN). Up to now authorities have not officially announced the cause of death. Arguello was one of the greatest fighters in history, compiling a record of 82-8 with 65 knockouts.
Jon Fitch has seen a lot in his seven years of professional fighting. He saw stars when he got knocked out by Wilson Gouveia in 2002. He saw opportunity when he caught Thiago Alves with an upkick. He’s seen his arm raised against Diego Sanchez, a doppelgänger in Chris Wilson and a welterweight title shot against Georges St-Pierre . . . . Click here for more by Chuck Mindenhall, UFC.com
Inside Bobby Gunn’s training camp: “I took this fight because I wanted to fight the best. Tomasz Adamek is the best. The man is a champion inside and outside the ring. I would have taken this fight for any amount of money they gave me. This is not about financial profit. This is about my chance to show everyone that I can be the best” . . . Click here for more
Photos: Jorge Garcia
Click the photo to go to the next photo
Undefeated No. 1 ranked World Boxing Council (WBC) heavyweight Cristobal Arreola, his promoter Dan Goossen and trainer Henry Ramirez hosted a press luncheon on Tuesday to discuss his future plan and quest on becoming the first Mexican fighter to become world heavyweight champion in the history of boxing. “They need to come across the pond and fight here,” said Arreola of Nikolai Valuev and the Klitschkos. “They need to come to the U.S. and fight me. If they don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to kick that door in. The more time they give me, the better and angrier I get.”
Amidst the sweltering summer heat and humidity in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, trains the Fighting Pride of Northern Nevada, Jesse Brinkley, in preparation for his light heavyweight showdown with Baltimore’s Mike “The Persecutor” Paschall on Friday, July 10th at the Reno Events Center . . . Click here for more
On Wednesday, Sept. 2, World Extreme Cagefighting® brings its hard-hitting, explosive brand of mixed martial arts to one of the finest fight towns in the country. The best light weight fighters in the world will be on display when WEC invades the Covelli Centre in Youngstown, OH. In the main event, fan favorite Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone battles feared striker Ben Henderson in a bout that will crown the interim WEC lightweight champion. (more…)
This Fourth of July weekend the fireworks will start early when American Boxing Promotions hold their inaugural card on Friday, July 3 at the South Point Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The main event will feature one of the biggest rematches in the history of women’s boxing. WBA and GBU lightweight champion of the world and Las Vegas resident Layla McCarter will defend her belts against Tokyo, Japan’s Fujin Raika in a rematch that’s been seven years in the making . . . Click here for more
Following a grueling workout at Striking Unlimited last week Friday, UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir sat down with the sports media in Las Vegas to talk UFC 100. Mir gave advice to UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar, stating the strategy he used against him the first time around might just work the second. “If Brock really comes out and tries to abandon the running at me, heads over heels and just trying to knock, bull rush me over, I honestly think that’s his best approach,” said Mir, with a black shine circling his eye. “I would just come after me – take a chance, ’cause to sit there and play the cat and mouse game with me, and jab and slip and move around, I think that’s a slow death for him that he can’t possibly win.”
UFC 100 takes place Saturday, July 11 live from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The sold out event is available live on Pay-Per-View starting at 10pm ET/7pm PT.
Two of the hardest-hitting boxers in the world participated in a media conference call Tuesday to discuss their upcoming world title fight on Saturday, July 11, live on SHOWTIME at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the west coast) from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. IBF Bantamweight champion Joseph “King Kong” Agbeko and two division world champion Vic “Raging Bull” Darchinyan both possess eye-popping knockout percentages. Agbeko (26-1, 22 KOs) of Accra, Ghana, now fighting out of Bronx, N.Y., has knocked out more than 81 percent of his opponents while Darchinyan (32-1, 26 KOs), of Sydney, Australia, by way of Armenia, is right behind him at 76 percent. (more…)
Two stars from The Contender season 4 television reality show, Rich Gingras (9-2, 5 KOs) and Tim “The Hammer” Flamos (20-6-1, 8 KOs) collide on a July 17 presented by Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment and Sports Inc. (CES), at the Twin River Event Center in Lincoln, Rhode Island. The bout will be an eight rounder for the vacant EBA cruiserweight belt. The second half of the co-main event is a six-round rematch between unbeaten Eddie Soto (11-0, 4 KOs) and Sean Eklund (6-4, 1 KO), who is trained by his uncle “Irish” Micky Ward. Soto won the first fight by split decision. Tickets are $25-$100 Call 401-724-2253/2254. Note: Twin River has waived its 18+ rule for this event. Anybody under the age of 18 must be accompanied at all times by an adult and they must enter through the West entrance.
Need evidence of the recession? Just take a look at unemployment rates, home foreclosure statistics, dwindling 401Ks, or former TUF 8 contestant Tom Lawlor – the UFC’s latest addition to the middleweight division. . . . Click here for more by Debbie Lee, UFC.com
Fresh off a devastating third round knockout win this past Friday night, two time world heavyweight title challenger “Fast” Fres Oquendo (30-5, 19 KOs) will return to action against WBO Latino Heavyweight Champion, Argentinean Gonzalo Omar Basile (41-4, 19 KOs) on July 24th at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion. Oquendo was originally slated to fight Basile last Friday, but Basile had problems getting into the United States from Argentina. Oquendo instead crushed Mark “Oak Tree” Brown. Local lightweights Gadiel Andaluz and Oscar De La Cruz meet in the co-feature. Advance tickets for “Windy City Fight Night 4” start at $31. Call 312-226-5800.
To all my friends and fans:
I cannot describe this moment of glory that I’m going through right now, after I conquered the WBA Super Lightweight title last Saturday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. It was a dream night for me. Due to the magnitude of the fight, the quality of my opponent Victor Ortiz, and especially beacuse of how things unfolded during the bout in my debut in the United States.
Obviously, it was quite a tough fight. I was quite nervous at the beginning and things got complicated for me. But I always had the unbreakable determination of winning the fight. Every time of the three occasions I hit the canvas, I got back on my feet saying to myself that I could not lose. (more…)
By Rick Scharmberg
Ryan Belasco (11-2-2, 3 KOs), of New Castle, Delaware will fight in his first main event on Friday, July 24, when he faces West Virginia’s Dean White (14-10-1, 7 KOs) in an eight round junior welterweight bout at Dover Downs Hotel and Casino. At stake will be the WBF USA belt. Belasco is unbeaten in his last seven bouts. In the co-feature, rising star “Mighty” Mike Tiberi (9-1, 4 KOs) will face an opponent to be determined. The promoter of “Delaware’s Young Guns” is Capital City Promotions. (more…)
Puerto Rican world champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez turns 26 today. The undefeated champion succesfully defended this WBO junior featherweight crown on Saturday night in Atlantic City, for the fourth time. Lopez will spend the day with his family in Caguas. “I feel very good about the win and hope to return to the ring very soon”, said Lopez. Lopez 26-0 with 23 KOs is 5-0 with 5 KOs in championship fights since June of 2008.
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
Golden Boy Promotions’ bid of $1,211,000 beat the $1,195,000 of InterBox, giving the Los Angeles-based promotional powerhouse the right to promote the mandatory defense of IBF super middleweight champion Lucien Bute against Librado Andrade. Bute, who won the first fight on points after controversial ending, will get 75% ($908,250). The bout could land on the September 19 undercard of Mayweather-Marquez in Las Vegas.
After Saturday’s thrilling world title match, which ended in a sixth round technical knockout victory for Argentinean Marcos Maidana when the fight was stopped by the ringside physician due to a severe cut over Victor Ortiz’ right eye and swelling under his left eye, Ortiz wants to clear the air with the media and public regarding his performance. “I didn’t fight the right fight and I didn’t execute the correct game plan to beat Maidana,” Ortiz said from his home in Oxnard. “I will learn from the mistakes I made on Saturday and not make the simple mistakes again, like trying to slug when I should box. I promise that next time, I will be more focused.” (more…)
Top Rank’s new series – Pinoy Power – will be announced and outlined at a press conference at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, on Wednesday. “Our Latin Fury series is very hot and successful,” said Bob Arum of Top Rank. “Now we are launching Pinoy Power which we believe will be just as exciting.” Nonito Donaire of General Santos, Philippines, will be at the press conference to talk about his fight with Rafael Concepcion of Panama City at the Hard Rock on Saturday, August 15. Concepcion is on a flight from Panama and will be at the press conference with his manager Damon de Berry of New York City. Donaire and Concepcion are fighting for the WBA Interim Super Flyweight (115-pounds) Championship. Also attending will be world featherweight champion Steven Luevano of LaPuente, Calif. Cameron Dunkin, manager of Luevano, and trainer Robert Garcia will be the champ. Luevano is defending against a Manny Pacquiao-managed fighter, Bernabe Concepcion of Rizal, Philippines. Michael Koncz of Team Pacquiao is accompanying Concepcion to the press conference. Pinoy Power on August 15 will be available on Pay Per View at a suggested retail of $34.95.
“Fast” Eddie Chambers (34-1, 18 KOs), of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is planning a fireworks display on July 4 when he tackles 6’7″ behemoth Ukrainian Alexander “Sascha” Dimitrenko (29-0, 19 KOs) in an important twelve round WBO heavyweight title elimination bout at the Color Line Arena in Hamburg, Germany. Chambers will also be staking his claim as America’s best heavyweight. Dimitrenko is the top ranked contender in the WBO, while Chambers is number five. (More.)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Former IBO 130 pound champion, Bill Dib, talks to Fightnews and states he is looking forward to his nationally televised clash with Japanese opponent Kenichi Yamaguchi (15-1-2, 4 KOs) at Luna Park, Sydney, Australia on July 9, and mentions he is ready to challenge any of the world featherweight title holders including IBF champion Cristobel Cruz and also WBA ruler Chris John. (more…)
DiBella Entertainment has inked a deal with undefeated super middleweight Marcus “Too Much” Johnson (16-0, 13 KOs). Johnson will be co-promoted by DBE and Antonio Leonard Productions, and managed by James Prince. “Being with Lou DiBella is going to help dramatically,” said Johnson. “He’s going to push to get my name out there and get me recognized. He will get me a title shot.”
Irish boxing manager Gary Hyde, president of NTH Promotions, is seeking an injunction to prevent two-time Olympic champion Guillermo Rigondeaux from fighting on the July 17th ESPN2 Friday Night Fights show in Reno, Nevada. Rigondeaux (1-0, 1 KO), fighting as a bantamweight, now lives in Los Angeles after defecting from Cuba. The 28-year-old southpaw has won multiple world championships in a 243-4 amateur career. “I first met Rigo in Belfast at the 2001 World Boxing Championships and subsequently traveled to Cuba,” Hyde explained. “Rigo signed a 5-year management contract with me in March of 2007. I am currently battling in the Miami courts to enforce our management agreement because he made his pro debut under the management of GSMG LTD and Marcus Concepcion, who work closely with the Arena Box outfit. I could find no record of either holding a manager’s license.” (more…)
Boxing returns to the Plaza Hotel & Casino in beautiful downtown Las Vegas on Friday night when Guilty Boxing, in association with Rattlesnake Events, LLC presents a bout that is sure to be full of venom as Dewey “The Black Kobra” Cooper (17-3-3, 10 KOs) goes fang to fang with “Cobra” Cory Phelps (13-5-1, 7 KOs) in a scheduled eight rounder. The semi main event will feature a battle of unbeaten welterweights as Abdon Lozano (5-0, 1 KOs) goes against Andre “Gorgeous” Gorges (8-0, 6 KOs) over six rounds of boxing. The undercard will showcase hard charging, non-stop punching lightweight “Lightning” Lonnie Smith (7-2, 5 KOs) fighting in a six round bout against Detroit, Michigan’s dangerous James Lester Jr (8-2, 4 KOs) . Also duking it out on the card will be Sid “The Messenger” El Harrak (5-0, 2 KOs) versus James Helmes (6-3, 1 KO). Tickets start at $20 and can be purchased at the Plaza Hotel & Casino Box office or by phone at 702-386-2575.
The IBF today sent a letter to Sauerland Event, promoter of IBF middleweight champion Arthur Abraham, advising them that negotiations should start immediately for a fight between Abraham and mandatory challenger Giovanni Lorenzo (27-1, 19 KOs). Rumors are swirling that Abraham, who defended his title successfully on Saturday night against Mahir Oral, will move up in weight class. In that case, the IBF would order Lorenzo, the #1 contender, to fight Sebastian Sylvester, an Abraham stablemate who earned the #2 IBF ranking when he soundly defeated Lajuan Simon on Saturday night. “I’ll fight either one,” the low key Lorenzo stated. “If Abraham won’t fight me, I’ll knock out Sylvester to win the title instead. I’ll fight either one of them right in Germany if I have to. Now it’s my turn and I’m going to come home with the title. I’m just waiting for them to tell me the date.” (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.