email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- IRS says Pacquiao owes $18 million
- Soliman, Sherrington make weight
- Malignaggi issues a reminder
- Promoter Eddie Hearn and trainer Tony Sims say Darren Barker's career in doubt
- Don King hits Berlin, Brähmer-Oliveira ready to collide for WBA light heavyweight belt
- 50 Cent moves from James Kirkland to Big Apple Boxing
- Chisora: When I'm fit and in shape, nobody in the division can beat me
- Rodriguez to face former world title challenger Quijano
- Boxing legend Mike Tyson banned from entering UK - London book signing scrapped
- Anselmo Moreno targets Leo Santa Cruz
By Dave Spencer/Fightnews Canada
Olivier Lontchi came in to the theme music of Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ Saturday night, but in the end, it was undefeated Juan Manual “Juanma” Lopez who walked out as the King of ‘Pop’. Juanma (26-0, 24 KOs) made the fourth defense of his WBO super bantamweight title and scoring his 24th stoppage in 26 fights at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. Lontchi (18-1-2 8 KOs) proved to be a worthy foe in the headline bout of Bob Arum’s promoted Top Rank card, but by the end of the night, the champion was just too powerful and tenacious for the Montreal fighter who suffered his first defeat of his professional career. (more…)
As one of the birthplaces of martial arts, China is rightfully considered to be hallowed ground for the warriors of the Ultimate Fighting Championship®. Today, UFC® is pleased to announce a television deal with Inner Mongolia Television that will mark the first time in history UFC will be seen on TV in China, continuing the global expansion of the premier brand in mixed martial arts. (more…)
By Alexey Sukachev and Andrey Bazdrev
Photos: Andrey Bazdrev
Click the photo to go to the next photo
This Thursday, July 2, once-beaten cruiserweight Grigory Drozd (31-1, 23 KOs) will face his toughest test since the only loss to ex-world champion Firat Arslan in October 2006. At “Dynamo” Sports Arena (the part of Krylatskoye Sports Complex), Drozd, who is one step from challenging one of five world champions in his weight class, collides with the dangerous American brawler Darnell “Ding-a-Ling Man” Wilson (23-8-3, 20 KOs) in the risky defense of his PABA and WBO Asia Pacific 200lb titles. Not only will minor belts be at stake but also Drozd’s WBO #1, WBA #2 and WBC/IBF #5 world rankings are on the line against the currently unrated Wilson…but Drozd just doesn’t feel the pressure, it seems. (more…)
Call it ESP for GSP, but when UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre first saw Brazil’s Thiago Alves, he had a feeling that the two would eventually meet in the Octagon.
“When I first saw him fighting, I knew he was going to be a potential opponent,” said St-Pierre on a media teleconference Thursday to promote his UFC 100 clash with ‘The Pitbull’ on July 11th . . . Click here for more by Thomas Gerbasi, UFC.com
Heavyweight contenders Alexander “Sascha” Dimitrenko and “Fast” Eddie Chambers faced off today at a press conference in advance of their WBO heavyweight eliminator on Saturday at the Color Line Arena in Hamburg. Full report to come…
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Former Thailand amateur champion Tantong Kiattaweesuk (11-0, 7 KOs) will clash with Bogie Delada (13-1,11 KOs) over twelve rounds at Sonkhla, South Thailand with the IBF Pan Pacific title up for grabs on July 17. Promoter Jimmy Chaichotchuang is confident Kiattaweesuk has the skills to defeat the best bantamweights in the world, including IBF#5 Michael Domingo (38-14-2,16 KOs). (more…)
By Alexey Sukachev
According to Mario Preskar representatives, the Croatian heavyweight prospect is now in Zagreb, Croatia, recovering after a dramatic accident following his eight-round draw against Maxim Pedyura in Lviv last Saturday. Contrary to the previously announced information, Preskar is doing completely fine now. There was a suspicion of subdural hemorrhage according to sources in local Ukrainian media, but all the subsequent tests came back negative proving the heavyweight will be able to recover fully after what seemed to be a brief collapse due to heat exhaustion. “It was too hot inside the arena”, Preskar is being quoted by the K2 East official portal. “The hall, we’d been fighting in, was unventilated. At the end of the fight, I was totally dehydrated with a dry mouth and that was the reason why I fell unconscious. Now, I’m feeling myself just fine. The subsequent medical examination proved I had no serious injuries during the fight. Considering the excessive fouling throughout the fight, I wish to ensure you that all these actions were unintentional on my behalf. As for Pedyura, he was impolite and behaved himself in an unsportsmanlike way, hitting me while we were both lying on canvas.”
Kurt Wolfheimer and Rick Scharmberg at Ringside
Photographer Marty Rosengarten/RingsidePhotos.com
One of the best pound for pound fighters in the world, Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez (26-0, 24 KOs) successfully defended his WBO junior featherweight title with a convincing ninth round stoppage of Olivier Lontchi (18-0-3, 8 KOs) in the Adrian Phillips Ballroom at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City New Jersey on Saturday. In the co-feature of the Top Rank promoted “Latin Fury 9″ pay-per-view card, Jorge “Travieso” Arce (52-5-1, 40 KOs) rebounded from his loss to Vic Darchinyan with an impressive third round knockout of Fernando Lumacad (18-2-2, 7 KOs). Click here to read the full ringside reports and view the explosive photogallery!
Sad news to report. Mikki Wilkins, daughter of IBF President Marian W. Muhammad, passed away after a difficult battle with gastric cancer. Ms. Wilkins was officially diagnosed with cancer eight months ago when she was hospitalized for excessive weakness after having rapidly lost 80 pounds over a period of four months. She passed away Saturday, June 27 at 5:05 AM at the Wake Medical Center in Raleigh, NC, just short of her 37th birthday which would have been on July 1. Her mother was by her side when she transitioned. Many in the boxing community will remember her from the IBF Annual Conventions. (more…)
By Joe Koizumi
Japan-based Venezuelan, unbeaten WBA super-feather champ Jorge Linares (27-0, 18 KOs), still twenty-three, displayed a very impressive eighth-round TKO victory over Josafat Perez (26-2, 20 KOs), a durable Mexican, on Saturday in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. Linares, already a two-class champ as ex-WBC 126-pound ruler, made his initial defense of his second world throne, which was shown on delayed basis through WOWOW cable TV here in Japan today (Monday). His stoppage of the game and tough Mexican warrior was well-received by all our aficionados. The champ’s post-fight comment in the Japanese language was as follows: “I deeply appreciate Japanese fight fans’ supports and also express my personal thanks to Teiken Gym’s staff and clubmates. I will diligently keep training to become stronger.” Linares seems humbler and more moderate than our younger generation. His personality as well as his still growing strength will make him more popular here in Japan.
By Dennis Principe
Apparently legendary trainer Freddie Roach wants to “pull the trigger” and silence critics of the one-sided win scored by Manny Pacquiao over Oscar De La Hoya late last year. Interviewed by the Philippine radio show “Sports Chat” hosted by this writer, Roach said he wants his prized ward to battle a legitimate world welterweight champion who is at his prime and is not past the age of 30. “When we fought Oscar before the fight they said he’s going to kill Manny and then afterwards they say he was old. So after we beat (Miguel) Cotto what are they going to say?” said Roach during an overseas telephone interview from his Wild Card Gym. “So we’re going to beat another champion at that weight and that will be another achievement for Manny Pacquiao, another world title for the pound for pound king.” (more…)
By Alexey Sukachev
Croatian heavyweight prospect Mario Preskar (16-0-3, 10 KOs), who collapsed after an eight-round draw against Ukrainian slugger Maxim Pedyura and was taken out on stretcher, is still being held in one of Lviv hospitals. Preskar, who was under suspicion of subdural hemorrhage due to the rupture of blood vessels and experienced breathe problems, was immediately treated by the emergency care squad, driven out by resuscitation ambulance van and regained his consciousness in the hospital since then. He is now being reported to remain in stable satisfactory condition, awaiting the results of various medical tests; his boxing career being arguably over after this tragic accident. Preskar was down twice during a wild last-round foul-fest. He has fought numerous times in the U.S. under the DKP banner.
By Alexey Sukachev
Highly regarded Russian bantamweight contender “Knight” Alexander Bakhtin (22-0, 9 KOs) will be back to the ring on July 5 at Chatan Dome in Okinawa, Japan, to face Indonesian national champion Richard Samosir (18-1-3, 7 KOs) in the initial defense of his OPBF title. Unbeaten Chita native, who is currently ranked #2 by the WBC, #4 by the WBA and #5 by the IBF at 118 lbs, spent his entire career in Japan, retaining the Japanese national belt record nine times before taking a forced one-and-a-half-year-long layoff due to various off-ring problems. Bakhtin, whose amateur record reads as 124-4, 80 KOs and who is trained by well-known Russian specialist Alexander Zimin, is now desperately looking for a world title opportunity in a talent-filled bantamweight class.
World super flyweight champion Vic “Raging Bull” Darchinyan and his manager Elias Nassar have announced from Darchinyan’s Las Vegas-based training camp that they will be extending their relationship with promoter Gary Shaw for life. “The real wonder of our relationship is that we have never had a signed piece of paper between us,” said a pleased and honored Shaw. “Just a handshake and a hug. It’s a beautiful friendship and I look forward to working with them on developing more talent from Australia, Armenia and Russia for many years to come.” Darchinyan (32-1, 26 KOs), already a two-division world champion, moves up to challenge IBF bantamweight champion Joseph “King Kong” Agbeko (26-1, 22 KOs) on July 11. The fight will be broadcast live from the Bell Atlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., on SHOWTIME Championship Boxing, beginning at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast.)
Bantamweight Jonathan Oquendo (16-2, 10 KOs) was impressive in stopping Felix Flores (14-10-1, 11 KOs) on Friday night at the Deauville Beach Resort in Miami, Florida. The bigger Oquendo dominated the fight from the beginning sending Flores to the canvas in rounds three and four before the referee stopped the fight due to a body punch from which Flores didn’t recover. (more…)
Ringside Report by Pat Kelley; Photos by Emily Harney
New England fight fans, and summer enthusiasts, looking to start off their summer weekends early, got a special treat Saturday night as Cappiello Promotions’ President Rich Cappiello treated boxing fans to a spectacular eight-bout professional boxing card at The Roxy in Boston, Massachusetts! “The Showdown at Early Sunset” featured former world title challenger Elvin Ayala and former super bantamweight contender Mike Oliver. Click here to read the full reports and view the action-packed photogallery.
By Damrong Simakajornboon
WBC#6 strawweight Wanheng Meenayothin (10-0, 3 KOs) successfully kept his WBC youth 105lb title as he won a unanimous decision over former PBF title holder Roel Lagonero (7-4-2, 4 KOs) on Friday at the City Hall of Nakornrachasima Province, Thailand. Although there was no knockdown, both fighters mostly exchanged punches in a ten-round exciting bout. Wanheng, a Muaythai champion, looked a little better and dominated with his more accurate punches. After a ten round heat bout, all scorecards were read 97-93 for the undefeated champion. Wanheng kept his WBC youth belt for the sixth time. This bout was the main event of a special Muaythai & Boxing card promoted by Piyarat Wachirarattanawong of Petchyindee Boxing Promotion.
The STEEL VALLEY RUMBLE lived up to it’s name on Saturday night in Youngstown, Ohio as TKO BOXING Promotions treated local fight fans to a terrific evening of professional boxing and a big upset at the Campbell Memorial Field House. In the main event, cruiserweights Andres “Taylor Made” Taylor of nearby Johnstown, PA and Great Falls, Montana native Leo Bercier met in the center of the ring at the opening bell and it was bombs away for both combatants. Rarely taking a break except for the 60 seconds between rounds, the first three stanzas featured outstanding two-way action much to the delight of the crowd as both men pounded away at the head and body. (more…)
Ringside by Francisco Salazar and Edgar Gonzales
Photos by Big Joe Miranda
If Victor Ortiz was given an opportunity to write an outcome of his first world title bout, it would be the complete opposite of what occurred Saturday night.
Having knocked down Marcos Maidana three times in the first two rounds, it would have been expected for Ortiz to slowly break him down even more.
Instead, Ortiz was stopped in his disappointing, yet entertaining loss to hard-punching Marcos Maidana before an announced crowd of 8,600 at Staples Center in Los Angeles . . . Click here for full report and giant photo gallery
Last night, before a sold-out cord at the Paladium in Denver, Colo., on a card promoted by Air Tight Boxing, Juan Santiago (8-2-1, 5 KOs), of Denver, defeated Stevie Marquez (8-13-1, 6 KOs), of Fort Morgan, Colo., in a seven-round thriller. Santiago floored Marquez in the second en route to a decision, winning with scores of 70-62 x 3. In the co-main, lightweight Manny Perez (14-4-1) won a one-sided five-round unanimous decision over New Mexican Lorenzo Estrada (3-14-1), with scors of 50-45 x 3. On the undercard: welterweight Corey Alarcon (13-14) won by majority decision over Terry Buterbaugh (3-3-1), scores of 59-57 twice, and 56-56; jr. welter Tyler Pogline (2-5) won by unanimous decision over Michael Lueras (2-7) in a four-rounder; light heavyweight Pablo Gomez (1-1) TKO’d Nathan Aguilar (0-4) at :37 of round one; and heavyweight Tom Amperon (1-0) won his debut with a second round TKO over Mark Grumble (0-1).
By Ron Jackson
Rodney Berman of Golden Gloves Promotions has announced the final bill for the July 11 tournament to be held at Emperors Palace near Kempton Park, Gauteng, South Africa. In possibly two of the most eagerly awaited clashes in recent South African boxing history, Phillip Ndou faces former IBF junior welterweight champion Lovemore Ndou in a fight for the vacant IBO welterweight belt, and two unbeaten young prospects, Tommy Oosthuizen and Jared Lovett head the bill in a clash for the vacant IBO Youth light heavyweight belt. (more…)
By Felipe Leon
Photos: Big Joe Miranda
Click the photo to go to the next photo
“I think I got caught with the magnitude,” a surprisingly jubilant Victor Ortiz (24-2-1, 19KO) stated at the post fight press conference after he was stopped in the sixth round in a jr. welterweight bout for the vacant interim WBA strap by Marcos Maidana (26-1, 25KO) Saturday night at the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. “It really hit on my way to the ring, the fact that I was the main event and the crowd chanting ‘Victor, Victor’, I didn’t listen to my corner which was my fault.” (more…)
Undefeated IBF Middleweight Champion King Arthur Abraham scored another spectacular victory as he stopped Mahir Oral in the tenth round. It spelled the 30th win in as many fights for the hard-hitting 29-year-old (24 KOs), who pleased a sell-out crowd of 6,000 fans in Berlin’s Max-Schmeling-Halle with a strong performance and several knockdowns. Now it remains yet to be seen whether King Arthur will keep fighting at middleweight or move up to super middleweight. Manager Wilfried Sauerland said he will analyse the situation in the next weeks. Abraham would not mind moving up. “I would like to fight at super middleweight,” he said. “There are a lot of interesting opponents. And I could certainly eat more roast potatoes ahead of the fights.” (more…)
WBC CABOFE champion Leon “Hurry Up” Moore wasted no time with recently undefeated Guyanese National Champion Dexter Marques when the two met for the latter’s title last evening at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall in Georgetown Guyana. The crafty southpaw Moore started the first round measuring Marques and landing his straight lefts and right hand jabs occasionally while the former champion did well evading Moore’s quick punches. (more…)
Photos: Reiver Rodriguez
Click the photo to go to the next photo
WBA super featherweight champion Jorge Linares (27-0, 18 KOs) retained his belt with an eighth round KO over Josafat Perez (12-2, 7 KOs) on Saturday night at the Plaza de Toros in Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico. Referee Luis Pabon waved off the one-sided affair at the 1:40 mark of the eighth round to protect the challenger from further abuse. It was Linares’ first defense of the WBA 130lb belt after previously holding the WBC featherweight strap.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.