email@example.com Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Boxing Buzz
- Hassan N'Dam ready to return
- Weights from Auckland, New Zealand
- Weights from Indio, Calif
- Mansour-Price Final Presser Quotes & Pics
- Broner says he'll get Maidana "out of there" or "beat him to death"
- Karpency added to WV card
- Macklin rips Sturm, demands 'promised' rematch
- Remembering thrilling warrior Ezra Sellers - the former IBO cruiserweight champ passes away at age 45
- Mansour: If he ain't got no 9mm, no shotgun in that ring, ain't no stoppin' me
WBC CABOFE heavyweight champion, Manuel “El Toro” Quezada, steps back in the ring this Friday night at the Tachi Palace Casino. He faces Eric Boose, whom he beat back in April of 2006. This time around he will have a new trainer calling the shots, that being the notable Joe Goossen. Riding a 14-fight winning steak, Quezada has set his goals for 2009 stating, “I want keep moving up the WBC rankings and crack the top ten by the end of the year. I believe with Joe Goossen in my corner, I have the final puzzle to get me to the top. Joe’s worked with multiple world champions and is considered one of the best trainers in boxing by many in the business.” Quezada and Boose will square off in an eight round bout. (more…)
Undefeated IBF middleweight champion Arthur Abraham (28-0, 23 KOs) will take on Lajuan Simon in Kiel, Germany on March 14. “I have big plans for 2009,” King Arthur said. “I will start with Simon – and at the end of the year I want to be super-champion at middleweight.” Not just because of his fight name, the 28-year-old German is the middleweight king. Since his spectacular title defense against Edison Miranda in September 2006, he has knocked out all of his opponents, earning German boxer of the year honours for three straight times. After Felix Sturm turned down a 2.5-million-euro offer for a unification clash, King Arthur has set his sights on Kelly Pavlik´s belts. “We are still in close touch with Top Rank, Pavlik´s promoters,” Sauerland Event General Manager Chris Meyer said. “It remains our goal to stage a unification fight between him and King Arthur.” For the showdown to materialise, though, King Arthur needs to defeat Simon next month. “First things first,” the champion said. “I will not allow Simon to destroy my plans to fight Pavlik. Just like last year, I will leave Kiel victorious. I only have the best memories of the city in which I knocked out Elvin Ayala last March.” 29-year-old Simon, a former US middleweight champion, is unbeaten in 24 fights (12 KOs). “We are full of respect for Simon,” manager Wilfried Sauerland added. “It was not easy to find a challenger for King Arthur. There were quite a few fighters in the rankings who would not dare to get in the same ring with him.”
Cruiserweight contender Alexander Alekseev has extended his contract with the Spotlight Boxing team. Promoter Dietmar Poszwa wanted the fast extension send a signal. “I firmly believe that Alexander Alekseev can be a champion,” said Poszwa. “Also nothing has changed after his fight in Dusseldorf. We still have many years together. We have now sealed the deal. I look forward to the future with Alexander. He has extraordinary skills in the ring and is a very fine fellow.”
By Francisco Salazar
Heavyweight contender James Toney is never at a loss of words. However, his latest proclamation would make even the most hardened beat writers in boxing scratching their heads. “I know that my promoter (Dan Goossen) is seeking the best fights for me in the heavyweight division. However, I am willing to drop down to 185 pounds and fight Bernard Hopkins. They say that he is a legend. I will prove that I am the living legend. He is a good fighter, but I will knock him out.” Toney won a close twelve round split-decision over Fres Oquendo in December at the Morongo Casino Resort & Spa in Morongo. Hopkins, who has never weighed more than 174 pounds during his 20 year professional career, soundly defeated Kelly Pavlik by unanimous decision in October.
Unbeaten featherweight Miguel Angel Garcia (15-0, 12 KOs) will be featured as the co-main event on Friday at the Maywood Activity Center in Maywood Calif. Garcia’s opponent will be Carlos Guevara (12-8, 9 KOs) of Chontales, Nicaragua. Miguel trains out of La Colonia Boxing Club in Oxnard. The fight will be televised by Azteca America. Welterweight Jesus Soto Karass (22-3-3, 16 KOs) faces Carson Jones (18-6-1, 10 KOs) in the main event.
Since 1994, fighters in the lowest weight classes have been featured prominently and consistently on SHOWTIME. There have been a total of 30 fights at 115 pounds or less. The vast, vast majority (90-plus percent) were for world titles, or were world title unification fights. There have been 13 fights at 115 pounds; five at 112, six at 108 and six at 105. Those who participated in the fights read like a Who’s Who of “little guys” — Ricardo “Finito” Lopez, Mark “Too Sharp” Johnson, Johnny Tapia, Nonito Donaire and, of course, Vic Darchinyan, who will be making his fifth appearance on SHOWTIME this Saturday when he defends his 115-pound belts against Jorge Arce. The SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING telecast starts at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the west coast).
By Ron Jackson
Former IBF heavyweight champion Francois Botha continues with his stop-start career when meets Ron Guerrero from the US for the vacant World Boxing Foundation heavyweight belt on Friday night. The bout which takes place at the Tlokwe Banquet Hall in Potchefstroom will be a battle of veterans with the 40-year-old Botha 46-4-2; 28 against the 34-year-old Guerrero 20-15-3;14 who at best can be described as a journeyman fighter. (more…)
Three of the four fighters who will be featured on Saturday’s excellent doubleheader on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING participated in a workout Wednesday that was open to the media and public. It was held at the TKO Boxing Gym in Santa Ana, Calif. Click on the image below for more photos…
Photos: Tom Casino/SHOWTIME
In what will be a slugfest from start to finish, Vic Darchinyan will defend his International Boxing Federation (IBF), World Boxing Council (WBC) and World Boxing Association (WBA) super flyweight belts against Jorge Arce in Saturday’s main event live on SHOWTIME (9 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the west coast). (more…)
World super flyweight champion Vic “Raging Bull” Darchinyan (31-1-1, 25 KOs) and WBA interim super flyweight champion Jorge “Travieso” Arce (51-4-1, 39 KOs) will host their final news conference tomorrow beginning at Noon at The Village at Orange – near the Food Court (1500 East Village Way). The public is invited to attend, free of charge. Darchinyan and Arce will finally meet in a long-awaited world title showdown on Saturday at the Honda Center in Anaheim. Both champions will be joined at the news conference by top-rated lightweight contenders Antonio DeMarco (19-1-1, 13 KOs) and Almazbek “Kid Diamond” Raiymkulov (27-1-1, 15 KOs). Remaining tickets, priced at $250, $125, $90, $60, $45 and $35, can be purchased through Ticketmaster (all Ticketmaster outlets), by phone, 714-740-2000, online at www.ticketmaster.com and at the Honda Center box office. Both bouts can be seen on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING.
Two-time world champion Jorge Arce of Mexico hits the speed bag for the hundreds of fans that showed up for his public media day Wednesday in Santa Ana, California. Arce is ready to go for his upcoming IBF/WBC/WBA Super Flyweight championship fight against 3-belt super Flyweight world champion ‘Mighty’ Vic Darchinyan of Australia on Saturday at The Honda Center in Anaheim,Ca. Darchinyan vs Arce is promoted by Top Rank and Gary Shaw Productions and televised live on Showtime.
Story by Felipe Leon
Despite the war of words being waged by Jorge “Travieso” Arce and undisputed super flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan in anticipation for their twelve round clash this Saturday night, not a peep has been heard from the two semi-main event participants, Antonio DeMarco and Almazbek Raiymkulov, better known as as “Kid Diamond” . . . . Click here for more
The Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®) is proud to announce its first-ever event in Nashville, Tennessee. Music City has never seen hard-hitting action like this as many of the rising stars in the sport of mixed martial arts will be featured in a nationally televised event live on Spike TV Wednesday, April 1 at 9:00p.m. ET/PT for UFC® Fight Night™ from the Sommet Center.. . . click here for more
WBA heavyweight champion in recess Ruslan Chagaev, his challenger Carl Davis Drumond, WBA super light champion Andreas Kotelnik, his challenger Marcos Maidana, #11 rated heavyweight Denis Boystov and his opponent Israel “King Kong” Garcia thirilled fight fans during a public workout on Wednesday at the Ostsee Park in Rostock, Germany in advance of Saturday’s much anticipated double world title pay-per-view twinbill titled “The Champ Returns!” Click on the image below for more photos…
Photos: Eroll Popova
“Now we know why they call Mayorga ‘The Matador,’ he’s full of bullsh*t,” said promoter Gary Shaw on the apparent cancellation of a February 14 WBC super welterweight title elimination bout between his fighter Alfredo Angulo and former world champion Ricardo Mayorga. “This is as unprofessional as it gets. We don’t hear he’s pulled out from his promoter or manager, just from everyone else in boxing. You have to wonder if he ever intended to fight at all. Mayorga didn’t show at the press conference in Florida and we have yet to see his mandatory 30-day weigh-in report from the WBC. Obviously it wasn’t a red cape he was waving, it was a red flag! But life goes on and we will make every effort to find a worthy opponent for Angulo to preserve his spot on the card and the HBO broadcast.” Angulo (14-0, 11 KOs), of Mexico, is riding a ten-bout victory-by-knockout streak dating back to 2006. The former Mexican Olympian is currently world-rated No. 1 by the WBC and the WBO and No. 7 by the IBF. The card takes place at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. and includes two world title fights.
WBO#10 heavyweight Brian ‘The Beast’ Minto (32-2, 21 KOs) is targeting WBO#3 Chris Arreola (26-0, 23 KOs) for a heavyweight showdown on April 11th on HBO. Minto believes that Arreola is no more worthy than he is for a title shot with WBO champ Wladimir Klitschko. “In my opinion, Arreola has not earned a title shot. He has neither fought a former champion nor even a title challenger. I have fought several. Chris has won on HBO, but I have won on HBO PPV,” Minto stated. Both heavyweights have a very aggressive style, and the potential for fireworks clearly exists. Minto states, “A fight between two top ten heavies would help clarify the status of the heavyweight division. In addition, I believe that the winner of a fight between Arreola and myself should fight WBO #1 challenger Alexander Dimitrenko (29-0) in a final WBO heavyweight eliminator to determine who gets a shot at Wlad. I’m willing to earn my shot. Is Arreola willing to earn his?”
See the action from Monday’s press conference for the March 21 WBC heavyweight title clash between champion Vitali Klitschko and mandatory challenger Juan Carlos Gomez in Stuttgart, Germany.
Photos: Public Address
By Gary “Digital” Williams
Undefeated and highly-regarded middleweight prospect Fernando Guerrero returns to the Wicomico Youth and Civic Center in his hometown of Salisbury, MD Friday for an eight-round co-feature bout against Gabriel “King” Rosado of Philadelphia, PA. After a successful amateur career, Guerrero (12-0, 11KO’s) had a busy first year punching for pay, fighting 12 times. A highlight of Guerrero’s first year was his October 3 bout against Tyrone Watson, the first time Guerrero fought at home as a pro. Six-thousand fans were in attendance as Guerrero won an eight-round unanimous decision. (more…)
Ringside by Andreas Hale, photos by Marty Rosengarten
Gleason’s Gym launched their monthly boxing shows at the Masonic Temple in Brooklyn as two ex-champions went toe-to-toe, seeking to, once again, become a factor in the super flyweight division. Former WBA interim super flyweight champion Rafael Concepcion plodded his way to an unpopular eight round unanimous decision over former WBO minimumweight and WBO interim light flyweight champion Kermin Guardia . . . Click here for full report & photos
By Dave Spencer / Fightnews Canada
‘He’s got a steel chin.’ It’s one of the most over-used axioms in boxing, however in Hermann Ngoudjo’s case, it happens to be true. The Montreal boxer was admitted to hospital immediately after Friday night’s decision loss to Juan Urango for the vacant IBF junior welterweight title and was operated on for a broken jaw. Part of the procedure that has the two-time world title challenger’s jaw wired shut for the next five weeks was the insertion of a steel plate into the chin of the Ngoudjo’s chin. (more…)
By Chris Morris / RMB
Heavyweight Chris ‘Da Future’ Green (5-3-1, 4 KOs) has agreed to give Kenny Lemos (10-7-1, 7 KOs) a rematch from their fight in December. Green stopped Lemos in the second round amid a bit of controversy. Green will look to prove it was no fluke while Lemos will try to prove him wrong. The bout will headline a benefit show to be held at the Denver Athletic Club (DAC) promoted by Jim ‘Smitty’ Smith and Poor Boys Pro Boxing on March 13th. Also scheduled on this card will be Joey Silva taking on Brandon Quintana and Isaac Atencio will fight Augustine Leal. Brad Jackson will also get a bout although it’s against TBA at this point. This is a charity event for the DAC’s Educational Fund with bouts beginning at 8pm sharp. For tickets call 303-450-9763.
Preview by Brady Crytzer
There is no bigger question mark in combat sports than the fate of last minute replacement. Originally slated to face tough jiu jitsu black belt Hermes Franca in the main event of UFC Fight Night 17 on Saturday, February 7th, Joe Lauzon now must prepare for an entirely different kind of opponent. Instead of fighting the veteran Franca, Lauzon is now scheduled to meet Des Moines, Iowa’s Jeremy “Lil’ Heathen” Stephens. Starting as the aging warrior challenging the young upstart, UFN 17’s main event has transformed overnight into a high profile showdown between two of the lightweight division’s best young hopefuls. With one of the most intriguing fights of the new year, the Ultimate Fighting Championship makes its debut on the campus of the University of South Florida in a big way . . . click here for more
Legends are made from incidents like 2008 U.S. Olympic first alternate Danny O’Connor experienced last weekend in Canada, when his glove split after he pounded pro-debuting Greg Jimenez’s body with monster-like hooks en route to a win by 4-round decision off-television on ESPN Friday Night Fights show, headlined by the IBF light welterweight title fight between Juan Urango and Herman Ngoudjo at the Bell Centre in Montreal. The 23-year-old O’Connor (3-0, 1 KO) turned in the best performance of his young pro carer, but what fans there will remember is seeing Danny hit his opponent so hard that his glove literally split. (more…)
By Ron Jackson
Three South Africans Philip Ndou, Ali Funeka and Thomas Mashaba will be involved in career defining fights overseas in February and March. First up is Phillip Ndou, 31, who returns to the ring after an absence of nearly five years when he faces Rachid Drilzane 15-6; 1 from France in San Quentin, France on February 14 in a scheduled ten round welterweight contest. Ndou who lost his last two fights to Floyd Mayweather in 2003 and to Isaac Hlatshwayo in 2004 will have a lot of ring rust to knock off, but he should not have to many problems with the light punching 30-year-old Drilzane who has only one inside the distance win on his record and that was on his pro debut in April 2003. (more…)
Former junior-welterweight world champion DeMarcus “Chop Chop” Corley (33-10-1, 19 KOs) scored a seventh round TKO over former title challenger Wilson “El Topadora” Enrique Galli (31-9, 13 KOs) on Tuesday night at the Meadowlands Sheraton Hotel in East Rutherford, NJ. Corley dropped Galli twice in the contest, getting the stoppage at 1:23 of the seventh when Galli’s corner threw in the towel. The time was 1:23. Promoter Darwish Brothers Knockout Promotions was staging their first boxing show in four years.
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Representatives of former world champion Jhonny González are apparently willing to offer $160,000 to bring a bout between WBC super bantamweight world champion Toshiaki Nishioka and González to Mexico or United States instead of Nishioka’s home turf in Japan. Sources acknowledge that it is very difficult to bring Nishioka to North America to expose his crown and for now the situation is they trying to resolve the percentages between champion and challenger. In the event no deal is reached, a purse bid will be carried out at noon on Friday the 13th at WBC Headquarters in Mexico City.
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.