firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- GSP to take break; Hendricks, Lawler to fight for title
- Broner, Maidana, Thurman, Karass, Santa Cruz, Seda, Shumenov, Kovacs all easily make weight
- Weights from Mexico City
- Weights from Atlantic City
- Rios failed drug test after Pacquiao fight
- Molina vs. Holt set for ESPN2 date
- Weights from London
- Alvarez-Oosthuizen and Perez-Takam officially added to January 18 Bute-Pascal card
- Weights from Puerto Rico
- Braehmer and Oliveira make weight
By Lee Bates
World ranked 140 pounder Alex ‘El Pollo’ De Jesus (19-0, 13 KOs) returns to the ring March 20th against unbeaten César Cuenca (35-0, 1 KO) of Argentina in a battle between two southpaws. De Jesus will be taking on Cuenca in his native country of Argentina. De Jesus is currently ranked number 5 by the WBO while Cuenca himself is ranked number 8. “This is a very important fight for De Jesus and hopefully a victory will bring him that much closer and faster to a world title opportunity.” said De Jesus’ promoter Ivan Rivera president of PR Best Boxing.
Amir Khan’s mega showdown against Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera is still on for March 14th at the Manchester Evening News Arena. There had been concerns that the fight would have to be postponed following the cut Barrera received last Saturday night against Freudis Rojas in Mexico, but following a thorough medical examination “The Baby-Faced Assassin” has been given the all clear to box. Barrera needed two stitches to close the gash. (more…)
John Duddy (l) and Matt Vanda (r) pose at the press conference announcing their upcoming Middleweight fight at Madison Square Garden. The two will meet on February 21, 2009 on the undercard of the Miguel Cotto-Michael Jennings.
Antonio Leonard Productions will presents a boxing card on February 5th at the Rio Events Center in Houston, Texas. Headlining is unbeaten welterweight Cornelius White (7-0, 6KOs). The co-main will feature another undefeated local prospect in light heavyweight Alfonso “El Tigre” Lopez (11-0, 9 KOs). Lopez, a former Sam Houston State football player, has caught the attention of boxing fans and media all over Texas since he traded his cleats for gloves and smashed onto the radar with his fast hands, excellent defense and fluid technique. Lopez looks like one to watch. Immediately following the fight card, chart topping super star rapper ScarFace will headline a live concert event. “My goal is to bring the best boxing in town to one of the best locations and also to give the fans their hard earned money’s worth, great fights followed by an electrifying concert. Where else can you get that for the price?” said Antonio Leonard.
Tickets for the April 1 showdown between Carlos Condit and Martin Kampmann, at the Sommet Center in Nashville, Tenn., goes on sale Thursday for UFC Fight Club members . . . click here for more
Boxeo TELEMUNDO will return to the Miccosukee Resort and Gaming on February 13th. In the main event, Jose “El Gallo” Reyes (23-5, 8 KOs) of Caguas, Puerto Rico will be facing Efren “El Huracan” Hinojosa (29-5, 17 KOs) of Mexico City, Mexico in clash schedule for 12 Rounds with the WBO Latin Lightweight Title at stake. In a special attraction, Cuban Jr. Middleweight undefeated prospect Lester “El Cubanito” Gonzalez will be making his first south Florida appearance when he faces Quinton Whitaker (5-3, 4 KOs) of San Antonio, Texas in a schedule 6 round fight. Seven fights are schedule, doors open at 7:00 PM first bout 8:00 PM. Tickets are already on sale at the Miccosukee Resort and Gaming 500 SW 177 Ave., Miami, FL and at all Ticketmaster locations Tel: (305) 358-5885 or at www.ticketmaster.com The show is being presented by All Star Boxing, Inc. “The New Generation.” The main event will be televised live at 11:35 PM by the Telemundo Network.
Former world champion Miguel Cotto unleashes a vicious right hand during a training session on Monday in Caguas, Puerto Rico. Kennan Collins, one of Cotto’s sparring partners, said “he is moving really fast, putting in some great hands, the work in the gym has been excellent. He is definitely ready for Jennings.” Cotto meets Jennings on February 21 at Madison Square Garden for the WBO welterweight title.
“Two World Title Fights,One Night” — “Ireland’s” undefeated Middleweight John Duddy(L) greets Hall of Fame Top Rank promoter Bob Arum Monday night after arriving in New York. Duddy is in New York for a press conference Tuesday at Madison Square Garden to promote his upcoming feature fight against Matt Vanda at Madison Square Garden on Top Rank’s “Two World Title Fights,One Night” Pay-Per-View. Two-time world champion Miguel Cotto and WBC World Middleweight Champion Kelly Pavlik will headline this double-header extravaganza on Saturday, Feb. 21 where both superstars will host two world title fights in two different cities ,on the same night and on the same live telecast. Cotto will take on Michael Jennings for the vacant WBO Welterweight Championship at Madison Square Garden and Pavlik will fight #1-rated challenger Marco Antonio Rubio at the Chevrolet Centre in Youngstown, Ohio. Also joining Duddy at the news conference will be his opponent Matt Vanda, top-rated Lightweight Anthony Peterson and undefeated female contender Maureen Shea.
WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko and his mandatory challenger Juan Carlos Gomez met at Hamburg airport yesterday for the first time before stepping into the ring on March 21st in Stuttgart, Germany. Klitschko’s ‘warm reception’: “Juan, my friend, I am sorry that I have to beat you up!” The “Black Panther” answered: “I’m so fast, you won’t even hit me – I will beat you up!” (more…)
By Craig Watt
Former two time WBA super-middleweight champion Anthony Mundine (34-3, 23 KO’s) entered into his usual pre-fight “trash” talking yesterday in Sydney at the press conference for his February 11th fight with fellow Aussie Shannon Taylor (48-6-3, 34 KO’s). The 33 year old from Sydney was controversial in his outburst, “I have one message for you Shannon, I want everyone to listen – the mouth is an open grave.” The 36 year old Taylor from Wollongong responded by saying, “It’s is you that mouths off all the time. That is why little old ladies hate you. Ninety-five per cent of people don’t like you. They only come to watch you to see you get beat.” (more…)
Three-time world champion Jorge “Travieso” Arce arrived in Anaheim, California tonight for his world title fight against Vic Darchinyan on Saturday at the Honda Center to be telecast by Showtime. “I’m very happy to be here and I’m looking forward to the fight on Saturday. I have come to shock the world with a victory and take home all the belts,” said Arce upon his arrival. Arce landed in Tijuana on Sunday, trained in Tijuana on Monday, and arrived in Anaheim with his team on Monday night. Arce will take part on various promotional activities leading up to the big fight on Saturday. “I feel great and I will show a lot of people that I belong with the elite in this division,” said Arce, looking confident and sure of himself as he predicted a victory over the current champion.
By Alexey Sukachev and Anton Gorunov
2008 was a breakthrough year for K2 East Promotions, one of the biggest and, surprisingly, the youngest boxing groups in Eastern Europe. Ten regular events have been arranged in a number of Ukrainian cities; Yuri Nuzhnenko has elevated his status of WBA interim welterweight titlist by becoming a regular one, while a bunch of highly touted prospects, including Vyacheslav Uzelkov and Sergey Fedchenko, is on a verge of joining him. Not a bad result for a newly created promotional company, which was started in November 2007, from the former National Box Promotions with a solid help and under aegis of Klitschko brothers. Fightnews sat down with K2 East general director Alexander Krasyuk to know more about its recent activities and future plans. (more…)
World rated light heavyweight Joey “KO Kid” Spina, former USNBC and IBF Intercontinental champion, has rededicated himself for his loyal fans as he prepares for his next fight February 6 at Twin River Event Center in Lincoln, Rhode Island. Spina (23-1-1, 16 KOs), rated No. 14 by the WBO and No. 15 by the WBC, takes on Kansas veteran Matt Gockel (12-9, 7 KOs) in the 8-round main event. The veteran Gockel replaces Steve Walker. Spina, who holds victories against former world champion Carl Daniels and super middleweight contender Jesse Brinkley, has had a somewhat sputtering pro career that he’s vowed to turn around starting Feb. 6.
Unbeaten super bantamweight Teon Kennedy will face his most experienced opponent as a pro when he boxes crowd-pleasing southpaw Paulino Villalobos, of Veracruz, Mexico, in an eight-round contest Friday evening, March 6, at the Legendary Blue Horizon. Topping the seven-fight card will be Mike Jones’ first defense of his NABA welterweight title in a 10-round match with Larry Mosley. (more…)
By Bob Ryder at ringside
Veteran Demetrius Jenkins was unable to slow the progress of fellow Detroit native Darryl Cunningham and was stopped via a third round TKO. Time of the ending was 1:33. Cunningham (172) and Jenkins (167 1/2) fought the first two rounds on fairly even terms before Cunningham unloaded on Jenkins along the ropes, sending him crashing to the canvas. Jenkins was in no condition to continue upon rising and saw his record slide to 21-17-1. In winning the main event before a SRO crowd at the Royal Oak Music Theatre, Cunningham improves to 13-2, 6 KO’s. (more…)
Following his dominating world title unification victory over Christian Mijares, Vic Darchinyan asked reporters at the post-fight press conference “Did I keep my promise (to knock him out)? What about my pound-for-pound ranking? Mijares was No. 6.” Even after a career changing win, the 115-pound IBF, WBC and WBA champ’s fight against Jorge Arce, Feb. 7 on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING, is still about respect. “Against Mijares, I promised to deliver a skillful, smart fight. I promised to destroy him and knock him out. And I did that,” Darchinyan said. “But I still don’t know if I get any respect.” (more…)
WBA heavyweight champion in recess Ruslan Chagaev, his challenger Carl Davis Drumond, WBA super light champion Andreas Kotelnik, his challenger Marcos Maidana, #11 rated heavyweight Denis Boystov and his opponent Israel “King Kong” Garcia were all on hand at today’s prefight press conference for Saturday’s “The Champion Returns” PPV card in Rostock, Germany. Click on the image below for more photos…
Photos: Eroll Popova
By Jeff Pamungkas
WBA featherweight Chris John and his trainer, Craig Christian, stopped by the gym at the Sultan’s Hotel in Jakarta today for some exercise. John and Christian are currently in Jakarta for a week from John’s training camp in Perth, Australia, before their departure tomorrow to Houston, Texas. John will defend against Rocky Juarez on February 28. It will be the first bout in the United States for the long time featherweight champion who has made ten successful title defenses since winning the title in 2003, including a victory over Juan Manuel Marquez.
Featherweight prospect Matt “The Sharp Shooter” Remillard, formerly promoted by CES, has signed an exclusive promotional agreement with Las Vegas based TKO BOXING Promotions. The 22-year-old Remillard is 16-0 with 8 KOs. Most recently he won a unanimous decision over former world champion Mauricio Pastrana in November 13, 2008. Details of Remillard’s first bout under the TKO BOXING Promotions banner will be announced shortly.
Unbeaten WBA heavyweight champion (in recess) Ruslan Chagaev (24-0-1, 17 KOs) and unbeaten challenger Carl Davis Drumond (26-0, 20 KOs) met for the first time today at a press conference held at a VW dealer in Rostock Germany. They will collide in a PPV showdown on Saturday at the StadtHalle in this beautiful Baltic city. This is Chagaev’s first fight since recovering from an achilles tenden operation. With this fight against the WBA #9 rated Drumond, Chagaev plans to test his form and ‘ring feel’ in advance of his rematch with current titleholder, seven-foot ‘Russian Giant’ Nikolai Valuev. (more…)
A decision will be made today on whether ring legend Marco Antonio Barrera will still be able to face Amir Khan on March 14 at the M.E.N. Arenea in Manchester, England. The bout wqs put in question after Barrera was cut during a tune-up bout on Saturday in Mexico. “I spoke to Don King and he told me that hopefully it will be OK,” promoter Frank Warren told The Times. “At the moment, we just don’t know. I am told it was a vertical gash, but we will find out more on Monday….I did not want this fight in Mexico to happen, but I think there was pressure on him to go ahead with it. If the worst comes to the worst, we will have to push it back a couple of weeks, but we don’t want to do that.” More than 15,000 tickets have already been sold for the card.
“I believe the junior welterweight division is the best in boxing, and I have no shortage of great fights here,” said IBF jr welterweight world champion Huan Urango. “I’d love to unify the title with the other champions, but my real goal is a rematch with Ricky Hatton so I can avenge my only loss. The result of our first fight is something I can’t accept, and after he fights Manny Pacquiao in May, win or lose, I want the opportunity to get even. In the meantime, line up the best in the division, and I’ll fight them.” (more…)
Star Boxing’s top welterweight contender Delvin Rodriguez (23-2-2,14KO) ranked #5 in the IBF will face off against Shamone “The Truth” Alvarez (20-1,11KO) ranked #15 in the IBF in a must see match-up of two of boxing’s top welterweights on March 6th at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, CT. The bout, for Rodriguez’s USBA Welterweight Championship, will be shown live as the main event on that evening’s ESPN2′s “Friday Night Fights” telecast . . . click here for more
By Gabriel F. Cordero
Mexican superstar Jorge ¨Travieso¨ Arce has finished his training in the Municipal Gym in Temoaya, Mexico located 3,800 meters above sea level. In a special workout for the press Arce looked to be in good condition and with fast movements and precise and strong blows designed specifically to try to win by knockout against champion Vic Darchinyan to snatch the WBC, WBA and IBF super flyweight belts. Arce’s work team is now headed toward Anaheim, California, to take part in fight week promotional activities. Arce was very animated, saying ¨I feel with a lot of responsibility and confidence at the same time to be able to defeat Darchinyan,¨ said Arce, who added that this fight is for the pride and the dignity of all Mexicans. The eagerly anticipated world title fight between IBF/WBC/WBA 115-pound champion Vic Darchinyan (31-1-1, 25 KOs) and former two-time world champion Jorge Arce (51-4-1, 39 KOs) will highlight a SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING telecast that begins at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the west coast) from Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
By Craig Watt
Former WBO interim Lightweight Champion Michael “The Great” Katsidis has targeted a re-match with Cuban veteran Joel Casamayor after his convincing points victory over Argentinean Angel Hugo Ramirez at the weekend. Although it has been rumoured that the 28 year old Aussie was due to face IBF#4 ranked Julio Diaz in April in California, it now seems a “homecoming bout” in Brisbane or Queensland is the preferred option. Katsidis, who moved his record to 24-2 with the unanimous decision over Ramirez told the Sun Herald in Australia, “It would be great for me to come back to Australia against a big-name opponent and Casamayor would be ideal.” (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.