firstname.lastname@example.org Continuously updated all day, every day!
- Caribe Promotions wins Rigondeaux-Avalos purse bid
- Weights from Huntington, New York
- Groves-Rebrasse make weight
- Yafai: I like to hurt people and I can punch
- Weights from Denver
- Gonzalez, Arce face off in Los Mochis
- Lange-Jeter II takes place November 15
- Predictions for Fight Night Japan
- Iron Boy 16: El Paso lineup
- Cuadras-Salgado WBC officials
- Ali Raymi issues ultimatum to Chocolatito: Roman Gonzalez fight or retirement by October 1
A press conference was held Wednesday for two-time junior featherweight world champion Israel Vazquez’ return on Saturday night against Angel Priolo in a ten round featherweight fight. “I’m excited and grateful for all the support, but most of all I can’t wait to get back in the ring on Saturday night,” said Vazquez. “I’m ready. I’ve been training very hard over the past few months. I know there are still a lot of questions out there about whether or not I still have what it takes and if there is potential for a fourth fight with Marquez. This Saturday will answer a lot of those questions. I know it’s going to be a tough fight and I’m ready for it.” Click Here to View More Photos
By Matt Richardson
Finally. That was the one word that seemed to echo in the head of junior welterweight Dmitriy Salita this week. After years of waiting and negotiating and more waiting for a title fight, the unbeaten 140-pounder from Brooklyn, New York finally secured his dream: a shot at WBA title-holder Amir Khan. Salita (30-0-1, 16 KO’s) will box Khan on Saturday, December 5 at the Metro Radio Arena in the United Kingdom. It’s a moment of validation for Salita. That now, finally, he has a chance to prove he is among the elite. (more…)
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
World super middleweight contender Sakio Bika has been released from Contender Series contract that had been in force until 2012. Bika spoke to Fightnews to say he is happy about being a free agent and has talked to Oscar De La Hoya and also that he is looking forward to fights with IBF 168 champ Lucian Bute, former WBA champ Anthony Mundine and world rated 160 pounder Daniel Geale. (more…)
A Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. bout on the Pacquiao vs. Cotto ‘Firepower’ showdown on Nov. 14 will be officially announced before tomorrow’s “Island Warriors” weigh-in gets underway.
Ireland’s John Duddy vs. Michi Munoz is scheduled at 8:00 pm eastern. The PPV will begin at 9 pm eastern. The Pawel Wolak vs Carlos Nascimento bout will open the Pay Per View telecast.
Al Bernstein, Steve Farhood and Raul Marquez will call the fights. Michael Buffer will be the ring announcer for the PPV bouts. David Diamante will announce the undercard bouts. This will be Diamante’s announcing debut for Top Rank.
There is an amazing story regarding former champion Genaro ‘Chicanito’ Hernandez and his all-out battle against cancer. Genaro said today he is recovering and is looking forward to returning to Top Rank as a color analyst on future Latin Fury telecasts. “We are all very excited and I have asked Rick Seara (Top Rank’s producer/director) to get Genaro back on our announce teams,” said Bob Arum.
Unbeaten Olympic gold medalist Odlanier Solis (14-0, 10 KOs) will now fight Monte Barrett (34-7, 20 KOs) on Top Rank’s ‘Island Warriors – Latin Fury 12′ at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night. Barrett replaces Fres Oquendo, whose reason for pulling out was “not available to box.” Oquendo, who reportedly has legal woes, replaced Solis original foe Kevin Johnson, who pulled out for a possible December 12 bout with Vitali Klitschko.
Looking fit and ready to go, both Chad Dawson and Glen Johnson participated in their WBC 30-day mandatory weigh-in Wednesday. Dawson weighed in at 185 pounds in Las Vegas where he is training while Johnson tipped the scale at 181.6 pounds in Miami, Fla. The light heavyweight limit is 175 pounds. The two square off Nov. 7 at the XL Center in Harford, Conn. , in a WBC light heavyweight world title rematch. In April, 2008, Dawson edged Johnson by close unanimous decision.
By Damrong Simakajornboon
WBC female #3 bantamweight, Usanakorn Kokietgym (5-1, 4 KOs), successfully reclaimed the WBC female title as she excitingly outpointed the now former champion Galina Koleva Ivanova (10-7-3) on Monday at the Ban Rai school in Dankhuntod, Nakornrachasima, Thailand. Usanakorn, a former WBC female interim 115lb title holder, did a good start by aggressively hunting the Bulgarian and dominating all of the first five rounds. The show little by little turned to the experienced Ivanova from round six as she cleverly displayed her effective counter-punches to gain back the score. An accidental head clash in round nine caused a half-inch cut at the right eyebrow of the Thai fighter, so the referee deducted a point from the uncut champion, following by WBC rule. In round ten, the Bulgarian tried to turn over the situation by speeding her assault but it was too late to catch up the local fighter. Scored : 96-94, 97-93 and 97-92 for the new champion. For more details and photos click here…
By Matt Richardson
Dennis Rappaport, the veteran promoter of former WBC heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev, has denied reports that Maskaev could get the next crack against current WBC champ Vitali Klitschko. “No one has contacted us about the fight,” Rappaport said on Wednesday afternoon. Maskaev manager Fred Kesch also denied reports that Maskaev could be next for Klitschko. Team Maskaev is actually busy making final preparations for Maskaev to fight on Friday, December 11th at the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento, California. Negotiations on an opponent are still ongoing though Kesch did claim that it would be a “name” opponent. Maskaev (36-6, 27 KO’s) needs to get in some rounds before securing a title shot. He has only fought once so far this year – a first round knockout of the hapless Rich Boruff in March in Mordovia. Should a clash between Maskaev and Klitschko be put off for the time being, Klitschko (38-2, 37 KO’s) would likely proceed with a fight against unbeaten American Kevin Johnson on December 12th.
By Mariano A. Agmi
Don King Productions submitted the only bid, bidding $420,000 for the fight between WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto and former WBA champ Luis Collazo, however the WBC somehow cancelled the bid altogether despite DKP submitting a bid well over their $150,000 minimum. Berto’s promoter DiBella Entertainment did not submit a bid. The WBC stated that they will reschedule the purse bid for 3 weeks from now at their annual Convention in South Korea. Collazo and his manager Nirmal Lorick were both stunned that the purse bid was delayed yet again. “Purse bids were previously cancelled in July of this year, then last week and now this,” stated Lorick, “we let them go through with the Urango fight when they wanted it – now it’s time for the WBC to do the right thing by Luis and follow their rules.”
The town of Houston is buzzing as an outstanding evening of world class professional boxing awaits them this Saturday night at the Arena Theater as Chet Koerner’s TKO Boxing Promotions presents “High Stakes”.
Amidst the overwhelming amount of local and national press attention “High Stakes” has received, Houston ‘s Champs Americana will host a public press conference/meet and greet on Thursday afternoon at 4:30 pm. Houston area boxing fans are encouraged to attend and meet their favorite fighters just two days ahead of their bouts. . . . . Click here for more
By Peter Lim
Former heavyweight contender Lou Savarese will stage his second Fists of Fury fight night on Thursday, Oct. 8 at the Hilton Americas Hotel in Downtown Houston under the banner of Savarese Promotions. The main event features a heavyweight crosstown battle between Steve Collins, 20-1 (15 KOs), and Billy Willis, 11-16-1 (9 KOs). (more…)
SHOWTIME Sports, in conjunction with NFL Films, is producing a new reality series that will give fight fans unprecedented access into the lives of the participants in the Super Six World Boxing Classic. Dubbed FIGHT CAMP 360°: Inside The Super Six World Boxing Classic, the series will focus a powerful spotlight on the groundbreaking tournament from the kickoff press conference in July 2009 through the Final tournament bout slated for 2011. The series premieres on Saturday, Oct. 10 on SHOWTIME® (10:30 p.m. ET/PT).
The tournament format, created by SHOWTIME Sports in association with five world-class boxing promoters, is a unique concept to boxing and one that has been lauded by industry experts and the sports media since its announcement. Likewise, FIGHT CAMP 360°: Inside The Super Six World Boxing Classic is unlike any other reality program in boxing. (more…)
The stars were out during today’s official public workout at the Ostsee-Park mall in Rostock, Germany. Female world champions Ina Menzer, Esther Schouten, “Killer Queen” Susianna Kentikian, Julia Sahin, plus heavyweight luminaries Denis Boytsov, Sebastian Köber, Manuel Charr, Markus Tomala and Sherman Williams, 2008 Olympian heavyweight gold medalist Rachim Chakkiev and local favorite Marcel Meyerdiercks thrilled the crowd with their skills. They will all see action on Saturday night’s “Universum Champions Night” card in Rostock. Click for more photos….
Fox Sports en Español has picked up the broadcast rights to show the return of two-time world champion Israel “Magnifico” Vazquez in the USA this Saturday night. Vazquez’ bout against Angel Priolo at the Nokia Theatre LA Live in Los Angeles, as well as the co-featured bouts of Carlos Molina vs. Caesar Holguin and Luis Grajeda vs. Juan Carlos Diaz will air live at 7 PM PT (10 PM ET). Previously the telecast was only scheduled to be seen in Latin America.
World champion Juan Manuel Lopez and challenger Rogers Mtagwa pose during the final press conference for their upcoming world championship title fight on Top Rank’s “Island Warriors” – Latin Fury 12 Pay Per View event on Saturday at Madison Square Garden. Also on this doubleheader card, WBA featherweight champion Yuriorkis Gamboa of Cuba will defend his title against challenger Whyber Garcia of Panama. Top Rank promotes this event in association with Arena Box-Promotion and PR Best Boxing. Click here for more photos and fighter quotes…
By Bob Caico
Former two-time world champion Byron “Gator” Mitchell’s (27-5-1, 20 KOs) comeback will hit a very important crossroads when he meets former #1 light heavyweight contender David Telesco (30-6-1, 25 KOs) on Wednesday October 21. The fight will be the main event of “Rumble at the Hilton Rye Town” 2. The card will be promoted by prolific New York promoter Joe DeGuardia of Star Boxing. (more…)
Undefeated super middleweight Donovan “DA BOMB” George returns to Chicago for the first time in 27 months as he headlines a November 6th 8 Count Productions card at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion. George (17-0-1, 15 KOs), long a Chicagoland fan favorite in the amateur and pro ranks, will face TBA for the NABO title in the ten round main event. In the co-feature is female junior welterweight Rita Figueroa (13-1-1, 3 KOs). Tickets start at $31 and are available through Ticketmaster, the UIC Pavilion Box Office or call 312-226-5800.
Carl “The Cobra” Froch (25-0, 20 KOs) says he’s primed and ready to hand unbeaten Andre Dirrell (18-0, 13 KOs) his first ever defeat when they meet in Group Stage 1 of SHOWTIME’s Super Six World Boxing Classic on October 17th. Froch’s WBC world super middleweight title will be up for grabs when the two men clash at the Trent FM Arena in Nottingham, England. “I’ve proven I can get in the trenches and emerge on top,” said Froch. “He hasn’t been in that deep yet so let’s see what happens when he finds himself in that kind of fight. I believe I’ll knock him out, the sooner the better as far as I’m concerned. I’ve studied him and I think he has a number of flaws that I can exploit. My record proves I can punch and I just need one opportunity to finish a fight be it in the first round or the last round.”
* Will Kimbo get a second chance to battle in the Octagon®? Don’t miss an all new episode of The Ultimate Fighter® tonight at 10pm ET/PT on Spike
* Get closer to the action with the new UFC® iPhone app – available now in the iTunes App Store
* UFC.com - Welterweight Wonderland: Part Two (more…)
By Craig Watt
Current IBO Cruiserweight champion Danny Green (27-3, 24 KOs) defends his title against eight time world champion Roy Jones Jr in Sydney on December 2nd in what is expected to be the biggest fight in Australian boxing history. The fight appears to have many exciting ingredients and certainly within Australia it is creating a huge demand for tickets with the Acer Arena set to hold 18,000 fans for the fight. Although Roy Jones Jr is the favorite for the bout and has already predicted a stoppage victory many believe the 36-year-old Green from Perth, Western Australia could provide an upset given his punching power at the higher weight that has seen him bring 24 stoppage wins in his 27 wins thus far. (more…)
“I’ve never been in the ring with someone like Taylor,” said unbeaten former middleweight world champion Arthur Abraham, who faces former middle champ Jermain Taylor in SHOWTIME’s “Super Six World Boxing Classic” on October 17 at the O2 Arene in Berlin. “He’s a good boxer and a very strong boxer. I don’t know what else to say about it. Everything else we will see in the ring on October 17.” About the move to 168, Abraham said “In the past my biggest fight was to make weight but not anymore. I’m just so happy when I go work out that I don’t have worry about that. I’m a happy man being a super middleweight.” Manager Kalle Sauerland added, “Arthur looks amazing in training and we think the move up in weight is only going to help him and the power will be there for all to see on October 17.”
Carl “The Fridge” Baker (9-4, 6 KOs), who was only selected for Prizefighter Heavyweights III after the British Boxing Board of Control refused permission for another fighter to fight. The 287 lb Baker, who returned after a three year layoff in May, made the most of the opportunity, knocking down British heavyweight champion Danny Williams twice en route to a startling upset. Williams is likely to be stripped of his British title later this month and Baker now wants a crack at the Lonsdale belt. “As I’ve just beaten the British Champion, if that title becomes vacant I would love to fight for it,” stated Baker. “If not, I will just continue doing what I do and a lot of people will be thinking ‘let’s beat the kid that beat Danny’. Beating Danny will do wonders for my career.” As for the 38-year-old Williams, Baker stated “I think he should hang up his gloves. Danny said before the event he would retire if he didn’t win and I hope he does.”
IBF#15 world ranked middleweight contender Billy Lyell (20-7 4 KOs) will defend his NABC Intercontinental middleweight title on Saturday October 17th at the Eastwood Expo Center in Lyell’s hometown of Niles, Ohio, against Chris Gray (12-10 1 KO) of Baton-Rouge, LA, in the scheduled 10 round main event. Tabbed “October Fists” and beginning at 7:30pm, the 6 bout card is being presented by World Wide Boxing in association with Bowers’ Productions. The eight round co-feature will showcase junior middleweight Durrell Richardson (11-3) of Youngstown in a clash with Lamar Harris (6-3-2). The remaining undercard will be comprised of four-rounders. Heavyweight Lonnie Zaid (1-0) meets debuting Eric Newel, while light heavyweight Randy Campbell (1-0) battles debuting Mike Kiser. In addition, local welterweight Jake Giuriceo (4-0) and heavyweight Brandon Winner (3-6) are both scheduled to appear in separate bouts against opponents to be determined. Tickets are $20 and $60, available by calling 330-766-0875.
By John Cannon
Lyford native Eric Molina (11-1, 10 KO’s) will get a chance make history in the Rio Grande Valley Saturday night at Mooncusser’s on South Padre Island as he will face Lyford’s Gabriel Holguin (25-6, 9 KO’s) for the vacant WBC Latino Cruiserweight title as a part of “History: WBC Latino Title Belt” promoted by Cavazos Boxing and sponsored by Rio Grande Valley Harley Davidson. (more…)
By Craig Watt
Following the impressive four round stoppage of Jon Thaxton in Altringham, Manchester at the weekend, unbeaten lightweight contender John Murray (28-0, 16 KO’s) from Manchester, England issued a challenge to Australian WBO interim champion Michael Katsidis. He stated after the win: “Jon was the only person in Britain that could challenge me but it’s time for me to move on. Katsidis is on my radar and that’s a fight I fancy.” (more…)
All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.